Not getting sore...? 

42 replies to this topic

#1 Big Mitch

• Car:JDM S47

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

Got back into fitness, gym and general well being as of about 3 weeks ago. It's going great and I'm seeing awesome results from it thus far.

The only thing that's worrying me is that I'm never sore after doing workouts...

And it's not as if I'm pussying around when I'm doing them.

Am I doing something wrong or could I just have some sort of f**ked body that doesn't get sore?

#2 ragoul?

• Car:S13

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

It will really depend on your routine.

Majority of people who over-train (e.g. training every day) won't get muscle pain as they're not giving the muscles enough time to actually begin to regenerate properly.

High protein intake before bed, lots of sleep, lots of water and a great choice of healthy foods dramatically increase muscle regeneration so if that sounds like you then you have nothing to worry about.

If neither of those suit you, then perhaps you need to change what you're doing. What's your routine like?

#3 Shark

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

It can come down to soooo many variables, but the MAIN thing to remember is everybody is different.

Some people ache and cramp up very easily. I know others who have next to no pain or soreness after a workout.

#4 zeropsi

• Car:Fagstra

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I always thought the same thing. I never get sore. But really, if you're eating right. Using proper form and not over-training you can avoid getting sore.

Or atleast, that's what I understand.

#5 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

As zeropsi said if your diet is right soreness can and will be avoided.

Judging a workout by soreness levels is far from accurate. I rarely get sore, except for heavy leg days and that usually goes with some gentle stretching anyway.

A better way to judge if your pushing hard enough is to see pr's go up and see the positive physical changes in your appearance.

#6 fiend.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

I rarely get sore. At first I thought there was something wrong with me, but now I realise it's just the way my body is, be it diet, genes, I don't know.

+1 for PB increases and positive physical changes in appearance.

#7 Guest_Richard Cranium_*

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

do 100 rep squats, then tell me you don't get sore.

But seriously whats your training like?

#8 Kairazy

• Car:r34

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

Train harder

#9 Big Mitch

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Chest last night consisted of;

20 x pushups for warm up
4 x 10 @ 40kg decline chest press
4 x 10 @ 50kg flat chest press
4 x 10 @ 35kg incline chest press
4 x 10 @ 60kg incline smith machine
4 x 10 @ 35kg straight arm dumbbell pull over
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly highest height setting
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly middle height setting
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly lowest height setting
and finished on two drop sets of the fly machine dropping down three weights from 130ish kg to 40kg doing as many as I can do for each weight.

Also done ab's with chest.

#10 bzkurt

• Car:1998 180sx Type X

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

IMO thats way too many sets. Is each one of those sets to fail? Either way if thats the style of training you prefer its still important to keep your body guessing.

So next session you could either
- Swap some exercises for different exercises
- Change the order in which you do your exercises
- Change the number of reps (personally i'd be aiming for 12 not 10)
- Change the speed which you do your exercises
- Incorporate some super-sets or drop-sets

Keep us posted

#11 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Not sure if the thread title is a statement or a question.

bzkurt is right, you need to mix it up. I got to a stage where I wouldn't feel muscles worked. It was due to doing the same workout for so long that your body adapts. Mixed up my workout style and I rarely go a day without feeling it. Not in a painful way, but the feeling that you did a decent workout yesterday.

#12 zeropsi

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

Wow, I usually do about 8 Reps and that's usually fail.

Lift bigger!

#13 Kairazy

• Car:r34

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

More kgs and less sets man, seriously.

#14 -fill-

• Car:180sx

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostBig Mitch, on 25 October 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Chest last night consisted of;

20 x pushups for warm up
4 x 10 @ 40kg decline chest press
4 x 10 @ 50kg flat chest press
4 x 10 @ 35kg incline chest press
4 x 10 @ 60kg incline smith machine
4 x 10 @ 35kg straight arm dumbbell pull over
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly highest height setting
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly middle height setting
4 x 10 @ 25kg cable fly lowest height setting
and finished on two drop sets of the fly machine dropping down three weights from 130ish kg to 40kg doing as many as I can do for each weight.

Also done ab's with chest.

Is that dumbells or bench+bar? How much you weigh?

#15 zeropsi

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Less sets. I'm doing a split routine to see how it goes. I do about 3 sets and about 6 exersizes a day. All free weight, no machines.

Edited by zeropsi, 25 October 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#16 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

Thanks to Big Mitch, My mind = Blown......

+1 for more weight, Less sets/reps... Build up.

#17 Shark

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

e.g try 3sets x 8-10reps for each exercise with larger weights.

#18 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Volume too. 9-10 excercises for the one body part is obsessive. Tone it down a little.

Everyones different of course, If it works for you cool, But i'd be changing around to see if you can do less but more weights... I do 5 exercises for chest alone ONCE a week and see great results.

#19 The Dean

• Car:s13

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

You shouldnt be spending as much time on fly's as you do bench
and are you really at such an advanced level that you have to hit your chest at three different angles

#20 Big Mitch

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Dumbbells so, 50kg/arm flat chest press etc. I weigh just shy of 100kg right now, I'm actually trying to tone down and have a more filled chest, which is why I'm hitting it from all angles like that. So I'm kinda liking doing the 4 sets.

I mix my routine up most times I do the same muscle group. Ie change things around and do different exercises like dips focusing on chest, more pushups, weighted pushups, +

And yes, legs, more specifically quads, that will hurt for a day or two after doing a leg work out, but nothing from the waist up...

It's not as if I'm not showing results, I'm getting awesome results from what I started at to what I'm at right now, I wish I took some pictures. It's just weird that I'm not getting very sore from the workouts I'm doing. I used to get sore back in the day when I was doing what I'm doing now. I suppose my diet is just a lot better now than what it was back then.

Edited by Big Mitch, 25 October 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#21 S14_Lee

• Car:S14 Zenki,

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:00 AM

Stop for 2 weeks, Then start again

#22 Neb-S13

• Car:Unicycle

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

I get massively sore about two days after a chest day, but will never feel much after a bicep workout. Yet my triceps will kill me within 12 hours of a session. Same with my shoulders.

I guess it depends on the muscles in question and how they've been trained previously/how they're being trained now. Just as important is diet and sleep. When I first started working full time I was getting very little sleep, and it could take me a full 7 days to recover from a chest workout. Now I get a good amount of sleep and have a protein nightcap, so my body just churns away at rebuilding those muscles overnight (in theory).

My recovery time is still pretty terrible at the moment, I'm going to try some diet changes and a few amino acid supplements to see if it helps.

Edited by Neb-S13, 26 October 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#23 Marko

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

u will find that if u concentrate more on the negative side of the movement and really control it u will create more microscopic tears in the muscle fibre and that will give u the soreness and also give u more muscle growth. so go till failure on the positive part with good form and then cheat a few more reps so u can train the negatives till failure. i find that gives me a better workout and i feel it more.

the contraction is actually the weakest part of the movement followed by the static hold and the negative is the strongest.

Edited by Marko, 26 October 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#24 zeropsi

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

It's not a rep unless you are taking the weight both ways. Can't stand to see guys thinking they're top shit pumping out heavy weight because they're only doing half a rep and then letting the weight pull their arms back down.

#25 ek9

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Squeezeeeeee!

#26 Big Mitch

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but I still don't get sore, and since making this I've gone from 98kg to 110kg.

Been changing my routine around, doing different things and definately SQUEEEEEZING. I'm definately not complaining that I don't get sore, as I've achieved excellent results, but I do find it weird.

Will keep you all posted on a routine that makes me sore when I figure it out.

#27 Shark

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

try doing a few drop-sets for each exercise. that might help you to get sore
I don't get too sore these days either. it really depends

#28 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I notice I get sore when I don't work a body part for at least a week and then focus on that hitting it from different angles with different exercises. Give that a go.

#29 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Break out the kettlebells.

The basics
http://www.mikemahle...-exercises.html

And use these.
http://www.enhancedfp.com/node/919

You will be destroyed.

#30 Marko

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

maybe try very high intensity lifting like dorian yates. he only does 1 set of his absolute max for 8 reps with 2 forced reps from a spotter to get 10. this was his training style when he was winning all his Olympia's. he was only training around 3 hours a week of weights while other guys were doing 2 hours a day. crazy what he was able to achieve (steroids aside)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!