Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Gearbox regrets - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

Gearbox regrets

Rieman's Photo Rieman 29 Jan 2017

Hi all im a first time user on this page
I have recently removed my sr gear box whilst on ramps i have replaced the fly wheel and cluch ect
Now i have the box back in the cluch assembly however I cant c
Get the sharft into the spigot bearing i have used an alignment toll what the hell am i doing wrong any help would be appreciated thanks in advance 🙄

pmod's Photo pmod 29 Jan 2017

View PostRieman, on 29 January 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

Hi all im a first time user on this page
I have recently removed my sr gear box whilst on ramps i have replaced the fly wheel and cluch ect
Now i have the box back in the cluch assembly however I cant c
Get the sharft into the spigot bearing i have used an alignment toll what the hell am i doing wrong any help would be appreciated thanks in advance ��

Your bush is the wrong size or the face has compressed, 100% guaranteed. I've had this issue with genuine OEM Nissan bushes, as well as aftermarket ones. In one case, I pulled out the oem bush and installed the Exedy spigot bush that came with my clutch, and this solved the problem. In another case where I used an Exedy bush but must have mushroomed-out the front face, I got a sanding drum on a Dremel and carefully tapered the front lip around 4mm in, which solved the problem.

Rieman's Photo Rieman 31 Jan 2017

Thanks mate ill grab a new bearing and give it a go fingers crossed

pmod's Photo pmod 01 Feb 2017

View PostRieman, on 31 January 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

Thanks mate ill grab a new bearing and give it a go fingers crossed

Yeah, see how you go; it's a job that sucks to have to repeat. To install the replacement I'd recommend that you buy a cheap non-CRV steel Chinese socket that's the right size and sand the back dead flat, then tap the bush in using the flat side. This should avoid digging into the bush and subsequently changing the shape. Be sure to test fit the bush over the input shaft prior to installation, because they can be wrong, something I can attest to from personal experience.

If you consistently have issues with the bronze bushes, an alternative would be to install one of the OEM Needle Bearing bushes. Online opinions regarding suitability for a street car vary, but I've run a needle bearing spigot bush for a while without issues. The advantage of this $35 bush for you would be that being made of steel, the bearing material won't expand if you hammer it in wrong, so whatever the fitment is like when you slide the bearing over the input shaft is how it will be once installed.

miller.k's Photo miller.k 02 Feb 2017

Yep. I had this exact same issue. Spent hours on my back trying to line up the box into the shaft, only to realise the brand new nissan brass spigot bearing was installed slightly out of alignment, causing the box to not want to go on.
After realising it was something to do with the spigot bush, I tried using a dremel with a drum sander on the end but it didnt make much difference as it was warped quite badly. Luckily i had a spare lying around, so i installed it carefully and box went in sweet after that.