Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S15 setup + turbo choice - Hardtuned.net

S15 setup + turbo choice 

32 replies to this topic

#1 Pabloess15

• Car:15

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hi I bought my first silvia a few months ago and I've been doing a fair bit of research on what parts I need to get to the desired power I'm after 270-300rwkw on e85 the car will be street'd and flogged mainly at Queensland raceway with happy laps drift practice etc the main goals for now.. I'm at the stage where I'm about to pick my turbo setup the only thing is a lot of what I'm finding is over 5 years old and a lot of it sounds the same

My car currently has stock low mount.. big front mount, greddy sump, alloy radiator, oil cooler, tomei cams unsure on size sound big?, sr 5 spd conversion, rocker stoppers..

Parts I've purchased
Apexi power fc d'jetro.. Tomei type L fpr. Walbro 460L pump.

I know I need fuel injectors I'll probably get bpp top feed rail with Bosch 2000cc for $1000

Probably go a turbosmart eboost2 ebc $600

Can get gtx3067 or gtx3071 with 6boost + external gate for $3650

Or am I better off and still reach my power goal on a gtx2867/gtx2871 on my low mount for around the 2k mark would also save me getting a dump made etc

I'm still learning and I don't want to pay twice so after all your experience and advice thanks :)

#2 Tom Tucker

• Car:S15

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:51 AM

1. EFR 6758, 7163 or 7670. Expensive, but the best, without question. Twin scroll is a must.
2. GTX2867, stock manifold. Best bang for the money. Easily.
3. GTX30xx are too large on a 2L IMO. They are invariably laggy and only make power pushing boost into them. They are a poor match on a street SR20
Also, don't use Bosch 2000s, they have a very high failure rate on e85 and are responsible for munching many a motor.Use the 1300cc Bosch top feeds. Stainless internals to handle e85. But they have a price to match ($300 per injector).
If it were me, I'd go a GTX2867, 1300s. Make 280ish on e85. Then importantly I'd mate it to an npc single plate organic clutch. Best driveability vs power handling vs driveline preservation available. And the last thing I'd do is change the diff ratio to 4.11 or even higher. Add r33gtr brakes and some mca suspension and you're good to go.

#3 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:15 AM

Oh God why did you go out and buy a Power FC? Lol..

Anyhow EFR7163 or GTX2867. GTX2867 will spin up 270kW easy, I recently did one and it happily spun up 278kW considering there were exhaust restrictions OR valve float.

The GTX2871 is a horrible mismatched turbo.

Edit... also why on earth did you buy that Tomei FPR? They're not E85 compatible and also don't seem to damper fuel pulsation either.

Should have came this forum first beforing going on a shopping spree. There are decades worth of knowledge on this forum when compared to facebook groups which contain all Facebook mechanics.

#4 SJB87

• Car:'99 S15

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

For reference, been using the large type Tomei fuel reg with E85 for over two years. Nothing wrong with it, does its job just fine.

#5 Pabloess15

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the quick replies..

Power fc came up for only 550 so compared to 1800 for a haltech n then I'd need to pay for air n map sensor on top Tuner said Pfc was good for that price.. I could get a plat pro if you guys reckon it's justified and just sell the PFC

Are you talking about Id1300 injectors the 2000cc are top feed and say they're e85 compatible so they haven't changed them in recent times? And are the ID's worth the extra 750

Gtx2867 .64 seems like the way I'll go then thanks:)

A mechanic recommended tomei or sard and the site I was buying off only had tomei which is why I went that

The car already has gab coils, sway bars, heavy clutch that ill run until it's broken, not sure what diff but it always spins twins

#6 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

I would rather a Nistune with a Z32 or even a HPX AFM.. it does launch control, flex fuel..

I would sell the PowerFC and get anything else.. (avoid Microtech, Wolf, etc..)

ID1300 or ID1700 or ID1000 or Bosch 1150 Or Siemens DEKA V... 2000cc or 2200cc are CNG injectors and are horrible.. and will clog up.

Yeah ask us.. there's a wealth of knowledge. The Tomei stuff "will work" but does it work efficiently? no.. and for the same price you could have gotten a Turbosmart FPR1200... with old school or cheap FPRs and massive fuel setups you will get a decent amount of fuel pulsation... a good FPR will damper that.

Stock S15 has a helical.. will spin both if both wheels are on the tarmac.

#7 Tom Tucker

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

Yep, ID1300 are made by Bosch. And they are what you want.
And yes, Nistune is way better.

#8 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Very happy with a GTX2863 on pump fuel. the 67 has a bit more in it again.

Anything more and your driveability goes to shit really quick and you can never use it.

#9 Pabloess15

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yeh I know there's a wealth of knowledge on here ive been reading threads for days lol... Most I read is that the Pfc djetro does the job better than the nistune becaus it doesn't run an afm? Will I make more power and run better with a different ecu or is it just for the extra features like limp mode launch control etc?

I don't like the price of the id injectors, with the fuel rail kit it's about $1800 but I guess the 17yr old motor needs protection

Gtx2867 from gcg is $2020 it shouldn't need ceramic coating? But probably braided lines?

Eboost2 is about $650 which I should need on an internally gated turbo? Or can I just run a boost tee and it not spike seeing as it's going to be used on high boost

And maybe another $2000 for a haltech if I get it plus sensors and optional extras like boost controller

anyways I'm going to order them soon so they're sitting there when I get home from work
If there's anything I've missed or suggestions on cheaper options/sites than I've looked at it's all appreciated :)

Edited by Pabloess15, 25 October 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#10 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

Pabloess15, on 25 October 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

Yeh I know there's a wealth of knowledge on here ive been reading threads for days lol... Most I read is that the Pfc djetro does the job better than the nistune becaus it doesn't run an afm? Will I make more power and run better with a different ecu or is it just for the extra features like limp mode launch control etc?

I don't like the price of the id injectors, with the fuel rail kit it's about $1800 but I guess the 17yr old motor needs protection

Gtx2867 from gcg is $2020 it shouldn't need ceramic coating? But probably braided lines?

Eboost2 is about $650 which I should need on an internally gated turbo? Or can I just run a boost tee and it not spike seeing as it's going to be used on high boost

And maybe another $2000 for a haltech if I get it plus sensors and optional extras like boost controller

anyways I'm going to order them soon so they're sitting there when I get home from work
If there's anything I've missed or suggestions on cheaper options/sites than I've looked at it's all appreciated :)

morrie - Horsepower in a box - did my gtx2867r for ~1700 delivered with an actuator.
buy an EBC from streeter or anything other Jap. and save your $$$ i have the hks evc 7 cant remember costs. works great.

#11 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

eBoost is a rip off, doesn't work any better than a GReddy Profec for less.

Boost tees are garbage for big boost

Whoever said that the PowerFC D-Jetro is better than a Nistune is probably stuck in 1997. PM KirkS13 and ask him how much better his car runs with a Nistune I tuned for him not to mention it's running full flex and has ignition retard on launch :)

#12 Kirksil13

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

Yeh the powerfc is way behind in features and technology compared to the nistune.

When i bought my s15 it had a powerfc fitted. After consulting with Johnny and telling him of my plans for a flex fuel setup with street and track capabilities, i was quickly convinced that the nistune would comfortably handle my requirements.

After purchasing a well priced ($210) used nistune ecu, i sent it away to Matt at nistune to get the flex board installed. In the meantime i purchased and installed an ethanol content sensor and innovate ecb1 AFR gauge.

Long story short, i got the road tuning and flex tune done by Johnny over the next few weeks. The car punched out some awesome power and torque numbers on the dyno (236kw and 557nm with a vn14 turbo on e75).

But the best part of swapping to the nistune was the driveability i gained. Before the car used to hunt for revs on idle, stall when on the brakes at a light and even conk out when powersteering was on full lock ie doing a U-turn. This was no more once the powerfc was out and the nistune installed.

Launch control is another cool feature that was set up also, but i am yet to test out its full capabilities until the next track day. Was good fun giving it a hit on the weekend Johnny set it up though.

#13 nicknack

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

I agree with everyone saying don't get a tomei fpr for e85. Between me and 3 dates, the diaphragms ruptured on all 3 from e85. Turbosmart ones are e85 proof.

Dunno about Haltech ECUs. Not good value. I used an Adaptronic plugin for the last couple years and it's been great. Theyre much better value and do the same stuff. Also very easy to tune. The money you save to go to better injectors or a turbo. I recently upgraded to their new modular ECU which is insane, but a bit out of the question here. I still have my plugin Adaptronic if your interested in it for quite cheap.

Also, as everyone says, EFR turbo is worth the money. A 7163 might be a bit big (they'll push past 350kw) so a 6758 seems more suited.

#14 Pabloess15

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

Cheers guys 1700 sounds good it's 1800 on the site but I'll hit them up!.. this has given me a lot to think about I agree that haltech seems overpriced and it's like the dealers get a good kick back off them as they talk them up like they're the only option...

I've found a nistune on Facebook for 300 pretty cheap, it does look rough just has stickers n writing all over it don't know how old, are they all the same? Or what's the other option get a tuner to install the chip+tune I might call the shop I plan to get tuned and ask as they're a dealer listed on nistune site...

I have never really heard of adaptronic but I will have a good look into it and let you know.. I'll get the fpr1200 and put the tomei on my Vl as that just has an autobarn special..

Efr looks like about 2800+ manifold custom dump etc but I will read more into it

I hope to be tracking this thing by Christmas

#15 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

older nistunes can be reflashed by Matt at Nistune for free OR at tuners with the firmware programmer.. this will introduce new features such as launch, flex, etc.

I love Haltech, their basemaps are great, the transient tables are setup well, everything is setup well.. even their cranking tables.. makes tuning a piece of piss (talking from a tuner's perspective).

Adaptronic has it's idiosyncrasies however it works.. but you need to spend a shit ton of man hours to setup the base map properly. all the scaling is wrong, the map predict tables are wrong, the temperature scalers are wrong.. the list goes on.... BUT.... they're great value, work, have a bucket ton of features you can expect from an ECU twice the price.

I've setup 2x cars with Adaptronic, still have a soft spot for them... but Haltech hands down!

6758 and 7163 nearly spool the same "nearly" :)

#16 adm15

• Car:s15

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

The adaptronic is a very good unit. Does all sorts of good stuff like wb 02 feedback, launch control etc. Does boost control and has a map sensor which means you don't have to buy a boost controller or z32, saving you $. If you buy the 2Nd hand one offered to you, you save even more $. They also have fantastic support and regular firmware updates that are free. To top it all off, dosepipe is an expert with them and can sort you out with an excellent tune at a good price. IMO, they are the best bang for buck ecu, especially when found 2Nd hand.

Edit. And on that note, it seems dosepipe has contradicted me. Lol.

If your on a budget, adaptronic. If you have money to burn, Haltech. If you wannabe be baller, motec.

Edited by adm15, 26 October 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#17 Myles_SR20

• Car:S14

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Has anyone tried the gtx29xx series turbos yet? Cant find anything on them to decide which one of the 3 would be best?

#18 nicknack

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hmmm, Base map on my Adaptronic was fine. You don't run on a base map for long so it's irrelevant other than getting it to a tuner. There are calibration curves for Nissan ect sensor, you select the nissan cas and its all there. Im not sure where the bad bits in the base map are - I never found them. Select s15 base map, calibrate your sensors, select injectors etc like every other aftermarket ecu and you're done.

Also, you can't expect a base map to be spot on for the many variations in setup, especially for map prediction etc. That's the point of a tune

#19 adm15

• Car:s15

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

Here is a youtube clip of a guy running a gtx 2971 on e85. Running 22psi on this run but usually runs 26.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ka2QEWyRGyA

#20 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:58 AM

View Postnicknack, on 26 October 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Hmmm, Base map on my Adaptronic was fine. You don't run on a base map for long so it's irrelevant other than getting it to a tuner. There are calibration curves for Nissan ect sensor, you select the nissan cas and its all there. Im not sure where the bad bits in the base map are - I never found them. Select s15 base map, calibrate your sensors, select injectors etc like every other aftermarket ecu and you're done.

Also, you can't expect a base map to be spot on for the many variations in setup, especially for map prediction etc. That's the point of a tune

I'm speaking from a tuner's perspective, end users wouldn't know the difference.

What I'm saying it's not an elegant ECU, but it's powerful and provides ample features.

I'm currently also using one on my shit box, downside is that the select is batch fired and batch/semi injected for cars with more than 4 cylinders.

The Euguene releases were horrific, rev limiters were unchecking themselves, idle recovery kept reseting to 0, ignition dwell couldn't be changed as it kept going to 0.0002ms. I know it has been fixed, after I mentioned the bugs in v1.25 onwards.

Older versions of wari would insert random timing spikes into your map for no reason too, old I mean version 10 which isn't even that old.

Don't get me wrong, the team is great the support is fantastic and the updates come as soon as you point things out, but if someone that has cash to fry and no time to let their tuner fiddle with then it's not the ideal ecu to pursue.

#21 Charlie May

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

Pabloess15, on 24 October 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hi I bought my first silvia a few months ago and I've been doing a fair bit of research on what parts I need to get to the desired power I'm after 270-300rwkw on e85 the car will be street'd and flogged mainly at Queensland raceway with happy laps drift practice etc the main goals for now.. I'm at the stage where I'm about to pick my turbo setup the only thing is a lot of what I'm finding is over 5 years old and a lot of it sounds the same

My car currently has stock low mount.. big front mount, greddy sump, alloy radiator, oil cooler, tomei cams unsure on size sound big?, sr 5 spd conversion, rocker stoppers..

Parts I've purchased
Apexi power fc d'jetro.. Tomei type L fpr. Walbro 460L pump.

I know I need fuel injectors I'll probably get bpp top feed rail with Bosch 2000cc for $1000

Probably go a turbosmart eboost2 ebc $600

Can get gtx3067 or gtx3071 with 6boost + external gate for $3650

Or am I better off and still reach my power goal on a gtx2867/gtx2871 on my low mount for around the 2k mark would also save me getting a dump made etc

I'm still learning and I don't want to pay twice so after all your experience and advice thanks :)

I have 1000cc injectors with my 3076 (0.63 rear housing)on low mount manifold running 16psi. It's a tad laggy but not too much. As a street car I find it goes well needs retune but other than that I'm happy with it.

#22 Tom Tucker

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

^
Sorry dude, my guess is that you haven't driven, or been in a decent setup turbo car. A GT3076 on 16psi wouldn't make much power, and I bet it doesn't make boost until at least 4500rpm.
Compare this to modern turbo motors that make peak torque from 1800rpm. Your peak torque at 5000rpm is so far behind its not funny.
The best you can aim for in an SR20 for reasonable money is peak torque around 3500rpm and around 250kW on 98, maybe 270-280 on e85. GTX2863 or 67

#23 S15 sxytime

• Car:S15 GT spec R

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

Big turbo, big injectors, only 16 psi. Why so low boost well under that's turbo efficiency. Could be a powerful set up,maybe try another tuner.

#24 SpecRS15

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

PM Sent

#25 ru55kj

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

What about xspurt injectors, like these ones? https://www.injector...urt-1000cc.html

I think I was reading somewhere that you can fit them to fuel rails designed for s13 with small modification.

#26 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:17 AM

View Postru55kj, on 30 October 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

What about xspurt injectors, like these ones? https://www.injector...urt-1000cc.html

I think I was reading somewhere that you can fit them to fuel rails designed for s13 with small modification.

If you're getting modified injectors you might as well get the Bosch 1250cc

I personally don't like modified injectors.

Nearly all Xspurt injectors are milled down to achieve the flow rates.

#27 ru55kj

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

Cause I don't think there is a short version of 1250cc injectors available

#28 s15rocket

• Car:180sx type x

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostDose Pipe Sutututu, on 31 October 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

View Postru55kj, on 30 October 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

If you're getting modified injectors you might as well get the Bosch 1250cc

I personally don't like modified injectors.

Nearly all Xspurt injectors are milled down to achieve the flow rates.

Depends what your car is for. Top feed injectors are defectable cop bait. Stealth is king if you still have a registered vehicle, so I'm going to use biggish sidefeeds on my s13. I don't know of many people that have problems with the JECS high flowed ones.

I'm only chasing a max 270rwkw on stock motor anyway so I may be even able to get away with nismo 740cc with a FPR on e85.

Curious of your opinion?

What are the best side feeds for e85 for SR these days? Has to be an option for those that don't want to go the top feed option.

Edited by s15rocket, 01 January 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#29 ru55kj

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

On s15 it's not a problem since fuel rail is hidden - different issue is that it's harder to fit top-feed fuel rail.

I was planning to use sard 850 injectors but ended up selling them. Apparently they are not that great, especially on s13 style manifolds.

#30 s15rocket

• Car:180sx type x

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

ru55kj, on 01 January 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

On s15 it's not a problem since fuel rail is hidden - different issue is that it's harder to fit top-feed fuel rail.

I was planning to use sard 850 injectors but ended up selling them. Apparently they are not that great, especially on s13 style manifolds.

Yeah on the s15 it sits under the plenum if i recall so its quite well hidden.

On the s13 it sticks above the plenum and stands out like a sore thumb. So its not really an option for me. I want my engine bay to look 100% stock/stealth as the car is a daily. .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!