Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Is it legal to do a LS Swap in SA - Hardtuned.net

Is it legal to do a LS Swap in SA 

31 replies to this topic

#1 riley.davies98

• Car:200SX

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hey guys was just wondering is it illegal to do a V8 swap into an S15 in South Australia. Soon ill be looking into purchasing a Nissan S15 and i was thinking later down the line to do a V8 swap in it just for something different. Another thing is how many people have actually been defected for having a BOV installed in their car. Anyways Cheers in advance.

#2 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

Is school holidays even a thing any more?

#3 HUSTLA

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

It will need to be engineered. Best to speak with them before you start to see what is required.
As for a Bov, yes I have been defected many years ago.. It was vented.

#4 riley.davies98

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

Okay what about a plumb back bovs can you still get defected for them or not. Thanks for the part about the V8 also.

#5 S15 sxytime

• Car:S15 GT spec R

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

No you won't get defected for a plumb back bov, do you realise they have one standard from factory. Good luck doing a legal v8 conversion!

#6 riley.davies98

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Ok thanks i guess. no i didn't know that they come with one standard does it sound any good or would an aftermarket one sound better. Sorry i don't know a huge deal about Jap cars so that's why i sound like an idiot but i figure i gotta start somewhere.

Edited by riley.davies98, 27 August 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#7 S15 sxytime

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

It's not about the sound, it is there for a functional reason not to make a silly noise to attract peoples including police attention.

#8 ~MaTeSh~

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

oh my god what has ns turned into.....?

#9 HUSTLA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Save your money if you plan on a LS conversion.

He's learning, give him a break.

Edited by HUSTLA, 27 August 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#10 riley.davies98

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Ha its funny ~MaTeSh~ your giving me shit for not knowing a thing or to about cars yet what you think you just woke up one day and your like oh look i know everything about cars now. Like i said i'm learning and we all gotta start somewhere. Cheers HUSTLA.

#11 ~MaTeSh~

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

man you havent even bought the car yet..
just focus on your stock sr its got bulk power if done right.....

LS is another story, another head truck...more money and time that i doubt you will have

im being realistic....

#12 riley.davies98

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

Yeah i did say later on down the line because i cant drive a V8 until i'm on my full license anyways plus then the cost of insurance on a younger driver owning a V8 would be crazy. So im going to have a play around with the stock SR see what sort of things i can achieve with it, just gotta make sure i keep it 100% street legal. Anyways before i even start doing engine mods id prefer to get the body work done first. An Ls swap is just one of those things that will come with time and its something id like to do, who knows i might not even be able to do it anyways.

Edited by riley.davies98, 27 August 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#13 ~MaTeSh~

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

you'll break every speed limit in Australia with that turbo sr.

don't bother with a junk LS

#14 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:14 PM

Hrmmmm. Ls swap might sound appealing untill you work the numbers on how much it will cost you. Plus engineering and compliance.

Can gurantee a 240kw silvia is plenty fast on the street and track. Aim for that level of performance first. The car will scare the shit out of you doing something silly before you get to that power level.

I still run a stock bov. It flutters a bit. Most turbo cars come with stock plumb back bovs. But u hardly hear them. It's how the stock systems are designed to be.

Happy researching. You will spend alot of time reading and working out whats what.

Edited by Scotties15, 27 August 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#15 adm15

• Car:s15

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

Who cares about the law,do it anyway. Fuck the police :)

Edited by adm15, 28 August 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#16 B00sted180

• Car:180SX

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

View Postadm15, on 28 August 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Who cares about the law,do it anyway. Fuck the police :)

I had that attitude until my car started to spend more time in the shed with defect stickers rather then on the road.

In regards to the BOV question, it's illegal to use a BOV which vents to the atmosphere. I've been defected for it.

In regards to the LS swap, I don't think you'll be able to have it engineered and if you could it would be nothing but a head ache.

For more info refer to this link.... https://www.sa.gov.a...d-modifications

#17 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

theres a few LS1 conversions kicking around in Sydney. They were all completed by someone in their garage using off the shelf and fabricated components. there is at least one that is street legal (in the sense that it has been engineered and registered, who knows how legit the engineering cert is)

the more you have to buy off the shelf, the more expensive it becomes. Conversion kits are around 5-10k USD plus shipping from the states depending on how much of it you need to buy (which in your case is gonna be a lot of it by the sounds of things). thats just the cost for the parts - then you gotta factor in installation (if you dont have mechanical skills you are gonna struggle every step of the way OR pay someone to do it) and engineering costs.

For around about 5k you can buy enough parts to make 220-250KW on a stock SR20DET with plenty of response and all bolt on components + a dyno tune. it'll get less attention from cops, itll be just as quick, and there is a lot more people that have experience doing that than an LS1 swap.

if you were to do an LS1 swap, outside of the info on the internet you are very much on your own, and would need a significant amount of knowledge with regards to fabrication. at least modding an SR20 you can roll up at a track day or similar event and find someone who has a spare part you may need to get your car going again, or someone can offer advice.

#18 riley.davies98

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Ok thanks heaps for the advice guys definitely think it would be better now to just keep the SR20 engine in it and work on that. Just one thing with that though if im going to achieve around 220-250KW with the SR20 will that be keeping everything road legal or not. This may be another noob question but what would be the best legal way to achieve more boost because i found out the other day that any sort of boost controller is illegal. Thanks heaps again.

#19 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

depends what state you live in, to what they class as "legal"

if they cant find it or see it, how do they know one has it ?? :P

before you get too far ahead of your self, find a nice straight one with exhaust, intercooler, pod filter etc. or what ever your looking at. just dont try to drift it first night out in it. stock suspension really sux spesh with it being this old now.

free boost mod to 13ish psi really livens them up too.

even the above let alone 180-200kw will get you into trouble if your not careful. so start small, get to know your car. go to a few skid pans and just read up about shit you can do, save up, spend money, and enjoy it

#20 S15 sxytime

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Technically you can't increase the boost 100% legally, any changes like that or engine management changes potentially change the emissions making it illegal. The trick is to do it stealthily, like mounting a boost bleed T valve down low in engine bay and using black aftermarket parts so the don't stand out like brightly coloured ones do.

#21 B00sted180

• Car:180SX

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

How well would it work if you were adjusting your boost solely on a adjustable actuator?

#22 riley.davies98

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostScotties15, on 29 August 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

depends what state you live in, to what they class as "legal"

if they cant find it or see it, how do they know one has it ?? :P

before you get too far ahead of your self, find a nice straight one with exhaust, intercooler, pod filter etc. or what ever your looking at. just dont try to drift it first night out in it. stock suspension really sux spesh with it being this old now.

free boost mod to 13ish psi really livens them up too.

even the above let alone 180-200kw will get you into trouble if your not careful. so start small, get to know your car. go to a few skid pans and just read up about shit you can do, save up, spend money, and enjoy it
Yes will definitely be spending abit of time learning the car and slowly adding a bit more power bit by bit. Had a mate that got an S15 and decided he would go out for a bit of a drive in the wet after having the car for only 2 weeks he lost control and pretty much wrote the car of, lucky we had a family friend who was a crash repairer so he fixed it up for him.

#23 HUSTLA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Its easier to just hide a bleed valve.

Edited by HUSTLA, 29 August 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#24 riley.davies98

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:01 PM

What would be the best spot to hide the bleed valve. Also does anyone know what them Xforce Exhaust systems would sound like because apparently they are starting to crack down on noisy exhausts so i figured it might be best to get the Xforce Varex muffler.

Edited by riley.davies98, 29 August 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#25 HUSTLA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

Under airbox, intake , abs unit etc there only small

#26 riley.davies98

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

Ok awesome thanks heaps.

#27 HUSTLA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:15 PM

There's a few tutorials on YouTube. Worth having alook to get more of a understanding. No worries.

#28 S15 sxytime

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:31 AM

View Postriley.davies98, on 29 August 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

What would be the best spot to hide the bleed valve. Also does anyone know what them Xforce Exhaust systems would sound like because apparently they are starting to crack down on noisy exhausts so i figured it might be best to get the Xforce Varex muffler.
Since you want to try to keep it legal, the Varex muffler is no good because they aren't legal and they are a bit shit anyway. You haven't even got the car yet so just wait until you buy one and get use to driving it first, and make sure you get one that is as close to stock as possible that way you can do it the way you want and don't have to worry about dodgy backyard mods that have been done which will give you huge headfucks and cost.

Edited by S15 sxytime, 30 August 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#29 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

I think the single biggest thing you can do to avoid cop attention is drive sensible around areas you frequent (especially your street and local neighborhood) and keep the car clean and tidy outside with a factory body kit at most.

avoid these:

- gauges on the dash
- after market steering wheel
- aftermarket seats (unless VERY subtle styling/colours and matches the rest of interior)
- pumped guards and stretched tyres
- front mount intercooler (just paint it flat black, along with the piping)
- tinted lights or ebay spec lights
- shitty body kits (bonus points for mismatched colours)
- too low
- pod filter (get it covered or just use factory airbox - no gains to be made here)
- blue/coloured silicone joiners or vacuum lines + anything not black/grey/brass coloured under the bonnet.

#30 S15 sxytime

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

^^ this is exactly what I have done and have never had problems from police in the 14 years I've had my S15

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!