Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
My BOV is crazy loud - Hardtuned.net

My BOV is crazy loud 

4 replies to this topic

#1 s15rocket

• Car:180sx type x

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:14 PM

Its a turbosmart plumb back. Holy chittt it sounds awesome but its crazyy loud. I just got my car tuned the other day and Ive already scared the hell out of a lot of pedestrians taking off at the lights.

I've owned a few of these cars before, my last s15 was never this loud with the same BOV. But this one is far louder and even more loud than an atmos BOV.

Also off boost there is a crazy amount of flutter. I've never used a POD filter before so maybe that has something to do with it?

Also my 180 has a custom hard metal intake. Does this increase the sound? The bov is located on the hot side and recirculates back in behind the AFM in case anyone was wondering.

Dont get me wrong I love the sound, but it does get alot of attention but im sort of a low key kinda guy and dont like too much attention. Nearly every second person at the lights wants to drag me now just coz they hear the flutter and BOV....gets annoying after a while seeing some P plater YARIS come flying up behind you.

Edited by s15rocket, 19 October 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#2 6330

• Car:S15

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

A pod filter definitely increases induction noise and a metal intake pipe does as well

#3 B00sted180

• Car:180SX

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

My car with the standard air box and plastic induction pipe it 100% quiet. Once I have the metal intake and pod its really loud. Those two things on their own make a huge difference.

#4 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

As the others said, a factory airbox will make it a lot quieter, since metal intakes and exposed filters have nothing to dampen the sound.

If you're able to disassemble the BOV, that would be your best chance to understand the reason it's so loud, because there's probably a restriction in it. It might also be that you have the spring setting too tight, such that it only opens at peak pressure for maximum noise (that would account for the extra flutter too).

In saying all of that, if you really wanted to keep it low-key, could go all-out and make/install an expansion chamber between the BOV and the intake. I've not done this myself, but it would make sense that a baffled expansion chamber would help with the noise, as it's basically a mini-muffler. Naturally, if you can replace your pod with a box, do that first, as well as test the spring tension setting on your BOV.

#5 s15rocket

• Car:180sx type x

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I'll mess around with the softer and harder dial on the BOV. See what happens.

Also I may end up removing the POD and putting my stock box on and cut the bottom out and just run a panel filter like I did with my old s15. Might soften the noise a little. But right now I'm actually liking the POD induction noise, sounds amazing when you put your foot down and you can hear the engine sucking that air in....sounds very impressive. Pity im only putting out about 200rwkw. I sound faster than I actually am right now lol.

Edited by s15rocket, 25 October 2017 - 02:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!