help finding info on what mods are legal 

legal modifications
21 replies to this topic

#1 K-man

• Car:R33 GTS-T

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi
I'll be importing my Nissan and moving to Vic soon, but was having trouble finding official documents or pages showing what modifications are legal and what stuff will get flagged in an RWC or similar government inspection. All I could find was a general RWC document, but it says nothing of coilovers, suspensions mods, steering etc

Does anyone have any links for modifications?

and can you tell me what general stuff is illigal?

#2 K-man

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Ok, wait I think I found it

http://www.vicroads....Informaiton.htm

OK, well general comments are still welcome or whats no good.

Like whats the deal with coilover suspension?

#3 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

at the end of the day it is all up the the descression of the RWC tester. most will want it all standard because they need to provide photographic evidence when they inspect it

#4 K-man

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I have modified knuckles (though you wouldnt know to look at them) and modified lower arms (which is plain to see). Im guessing that stuff would be no good to a RWC dude?

What about aftermarket arms, like camber adjust, caster adjust, tie rods, tie rod ends etc?

#5 blingcommander

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

pretty much all a no-no. tie rods and ends will be ok if they look like oe ones

#6 DR1F7A

• Car:200sx s14

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

as having just been defected and copping a major i have just had to get a roadworthy. my car passed with coilovers,drift button, engine dampner, but i saying this i had to put 90% of my standard items back on i.e cooler,intake and interior. most of you know that running a aftermarket cooler on a silvia you have to run a pipe throught the battery tray, well i had to weld 2 bits of 3mm thick sheet mteal over and under the hole. As for you asking is your vehicle has to be pretty much near stock as possible otherwise forget it and the rule with having photos taken, well nothing is taken of the car just one of it outside the shop of were the roadworthy was conducted.
But if you have modded knuckles and arms they will pass as long as your cambe rand castor is all on 0, but again this depends on were you go for a roady because some let a few things slide and others are as tight as a fishes ass.
good luck with it all hope this helps and if not vicroads has a catergory on legal mods on there site and for the best response on a roady take it to a shop and they will tell 100% what you need or if you will pass.

#7 SR20NA

• Car:GSXR 750

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

In NSW " If you change you car in any which way shape or form from how it comes off the production line, I have the ability to and will defect you "
A lovely gentleman from the HWP informed me :)

#8 blingcommander

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostDR1F7A, on 12 April 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

as having just been defected and copping a major i have just had to get a roadworthy. my car passed with coilovers,drift button, engine dampner, but i saying this i had to put 90% of my standard items back on i.e cooler,intake and interior. most of you know that running a aftermarket cooler on a silvia you have to run a pipe throught the battery tray, well i had to weld 2 bits of 3mm thick sheet mteal over and under the hole. As for you asking is your vehicle has to be pretty much near stock as possible otherwise forget it and the rule with having photos taken, well nothing is taken of the car just one of it outside the shop of were the roadworthy was conducted.
But if you have modded knuckles and arms they will pass as long as your cambe rand castor is all on 0, but again this depends on were you go for a roady because some let a few things slide and others are as tight as a fishes ass.
good luck with it all hope this helps and if not vicroads has a catergory on legal mods on there site and for the best response on a roady take it to a shop and they will tell 100% what you need or if you will pass.

they take like 4 pics, one of the vin number, one of the odometer, one as the car sits and one on the hoist with the wheels off.

have you ever driven a car with 0 caster?? :doh: not every rwc shop has a wheel alignment machine.

#9 K-man

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Oh, I just throught of three more easy ones

Whats the minimum ride height?

What the max DB for exhaust? and is any exhaust parts ok?

Are guages mounted in the cabin OK?

Edited by K-man, 12 April 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#10 kriss

• Car:A31 - R31 - R33

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostDR1F7A, on 12 April 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Huh? Please don't post if you have no idea what you're on about

Edited by kriss, 12 April 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#11 Bossballer

• Car:180sx

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostK-man, on 12 April 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Oh, I just throught of three more easy ones

Whats the minimum ride height?

What the max DB for exhaust? and is any exhaust parts ok?

Are guages mounted in the cabin OK?

100mm lowest point of the car aside from wheels,tyres,brakes etc

90db in victoria pretty sure you must retain a Catalytic converter for anything EFI

not sure on guages, i think they are ok if they sit below the highest point on your dash? again, not sure on that one

#12 DR1F7A

• Car:200sx s14

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

lol i do appoligise i am a mechanic but i started dribbling and didnt relise what i was typing. sorry once again it made sense in my head what i was saying.

#13 Veafo

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Just a question guys.

If I purchase a Bride bucket seat, and install a 5 point racing harness, would my car be considered unroadworthy? Do I have to keep the old seatbelts to keep it road legal?

#14 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostVeafo, on 15 April 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Just a question guys.

If I purchase a Bride bucket seat, and install a 5 point racing harness, would my car be considered unroadworthy? Do I have to keep the old seatbelts to keep it road legal?

Bride Seat - Illegal - Not ADR Approved even if its not a fixed back its still not ADR Approved.
5point Cage - Illegal - The car is registered as a 4seater a cage blocks the rear seats you would have to register it as a 2seater to legally have the cage.

In the end cops are tops, they will still defect you for legal mods anyway just so you can waste your time and money getting roadworthys for no reason.

#15 blingcommander

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

cage? he said harness :lol:

just keep them both to keep the popo happy

#16 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

lol sorry, i skimmed over it and took the 5point as 5point cage not 5point harness.

My bad :(

#17 K-man

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Sucks about the seats! I have reclinable recaros that i dont really wanna have to change out. Im changing enough as it is : (

Anyone have any experience with guages? is there a place to have em, or a situation (like installed in a dash mounted guage pod thingy) thats ok?

#18 SILVIA s13

got milk?.. no milf? well then...GOTTA HAVE 4 DOOR!!

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Car:cefiro

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

reclinable recaros are legal --> all fixed back non reclinable bucket seats are illegal

reclinable brides are illegal as they dont suit some standards

gauges- anything with in the cluster area and below is legal

A pillar gauges and gauges on top of the dash that will distract while driving is the grey area, depends on the cop / RWC guy

one question tho why Melbourne? not the best place for car enthusiasts

Edited by SILVIA s13, 21 April 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#19 KurtHS

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

No, not all reclinable Recaros are legal, only ADR approved ones. Yes fixed backs can be legal, so long as they're ADR approved.

Brides are illegal because none are ADR approved.

Edited by KurtHS, 21 April 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#20 Veafo

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostKurtHS, on 21 April 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

No, not all reclinable Recaros are legal, only ADR approved ones. Yes fixed backs can be legal, so long as they're ADR approved.

Brides are illegal because none are ADR approved.

What fixed back seats (apart from Velo) are ADR approved, and legal?

#21 KurtHS

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Velo are the only ones as far as I'm aware.

#22 AlexCim

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Not all fixed buckets are illegal. You can have any seat ADR approved by completing the appropriate testing. I have fixed buckets in my car and they are ADR approved. They are Sparco fixed buckets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!