James' Training Log 

25 replies to this topic

#1 resistance

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hi all,

So Ive only recently gotten serious about my health and fitness and have made a stupidly massive turnaround in the last 3-4 weeks.
I have been Passed to Re-enlist into the Australian Regular Army as a Forward Artillery Observer (Sit on a hill with an officer and guide bombs onto targets, just need to pack march up said hills) and have a few friends who used to do the role who have all said the same thing "James, you need to get stupid fit, build some strong legs and a stronger back".

Ive been training Everyday for 3 weeks now and i feel like im doing fairly well, got myself a gym membership and a personal trainer (Ex army Combat Fitness Leader, now PT) with 2 sessions a week and he is guiding me towards building good strength with Endurance, as much as i'd like too, im not working towards getting massive or aesthetics (you mirin??)

To help with my Cardio fitness i got myself a decent mountain bike and the proper gear and ride pretty much everyday, living close to Brisbane CBD i have alot of good bike paths to ride and im clocking an average of 30-40KM per day and getting much quicker every time i ride, hitting the odd trail aswell but only when i have a buddy to ride with.

Started:
Weight: 95KG
Height: 170cm.

My routine: (mind you, i have a big build but have never really trained and had close to F*ck all upper body strength)

When I Started (17FEB2012)

Chest Press - 30kgX10repsX3sets
Squats - 4-5kg med ball ??X10repsX3sets
Bicycles - 10reps each legX3sets (not sure if there is another name for them, see video. http://www.ehow.com/...e-exercise.html)
Lat Pull down - 40kgX10repsX3sets
Back Row - 30kgX10repsX3sets
Alt Leg Lunges - 10reps each legX10repsx3sets
Roman Chair - 10repsX3sets

Like i said i am still fairly new to weight training and after doing this i was wrecked :thumbsup: \

Today (08MAR2012)

Minimum 25km on the bike mid afternoon or morning EVERYDAY.

Chest Press - 45kgX10repsX3sets
Squats - 10kg med ballX10repsX3sets (have ditched the ball and moving onto the squatting rack next session)
Bicycles - 10reps each legX3sets
Seated Squat Row - 30kgX10repsx3sets (heaviest weight for the equipment)
Lat Pull down - 70kgX10repsX3sets
Back Row - 50kgX10repsX3sets
Alt Leg Lunges - 8kg dumbbells 10reps each legX10repsx3sets
Roman Chair - 10repsX3sets
Leg Press - 120KGX10repsX3sets
Will finish this week off with this routine and then will reassess how im going with the PT over the weekend and mix it up a bit, i want to change my routine every week to keep it interested and to work different muscle groups in different ways.

After 3 weeks of being strict, working out everyday im getting much stronger, feel a heck of a lot better aswell.
Decided today with the advice from my PT that i am going to set a goal to finish an Off-road Triathlon before i head off to recruit school mid June.
due to my type of bike im looking at something along these lines.

350m Swim - 10km Mountain Bike - 4km Run.

Im not doing anything crazy just yet but my short term goal is to get to a good level of fitness to be ready for when i re-enlist in the Army and head to recruit school and to finish the offload triathlon in June, Long term i want to put on some size and focus more on getting leaner muscle and lower Body Fat%, to be a Combat Fitness Leader in the Army and to be a qualified PT outside of military life.

#2 resistance

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

forgot to mention, weighed myself last sunday (04MAR2012) and i weighed in at 90.3kg which i was pretty happy with considering how much stronger i feel and the little bit of muscle i have put on already ^_^

#3 resistance

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Last two days increased the weight a little bit and stupidly decided to ride 30km in the middle of the day, ended up cramping up on the way home which wasn't great.

#4 resistance

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

back in the net, finished last week strong but was getting over my routine.

WEIGHT - 90.6KG

New routine as of yesterday 12MAR2012

Warm up - 1km jog/run + 5km cycle

Assisted Pull Ups - 45kgX10repsX4sets
Lat Pull down - 60kgX10repsX4sets
Squats - BarX10repsX4sets, 40kgX10repsX4sets

Today - 13MAR2012

Warm up.

Assisted Pull Ups - 15, 12, 10, 10.
Lat Pull down - 15, 10, 10, 10
squats Bar - 15, 12, 10, 10. 40kg 10, 10, 10, 10

Edited by resistance, 16 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#5 resistance

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Today 14MAR2012

Assisted Pull Ups - 40kgX10repsX4sets
Lat Pull Down - 60kgX10repsX4sets
Squats - BarX10reps, 40kgX10reps, 50kgX10reps
  • BarX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10 - Got to the 4th rep when one of the PT's at the gym stepped back and copped the bar to the shoulder as i lowered down, ended up nearly knocking me over, lost half the weights and scared the f**k out of me. Couldnt believe how careless she was considering she was a PT! :cursing: Ended up re-doing the 8th set.
  • 40kgX10
  • 50kgX10

My goal is to be squatting 60kg by Sunday and i want to get off this assisted Pull Up machine as quick as possible, dropping the weights in the thing every session.

Edited by resistance, 16 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#6 resistance

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Today 15MAR2012
  • BarX10
  • BarX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX5
  • 50kgX5
  • 50kgX10

I was really feeling it towards the last couple of sets this afternoon, legs felt like they were on fire and i recall tasting a bit of my breakfast for a few seconds.
quick chat with my PT and he urged that i finally have a proper rest day, i havnt had a rest day since i started training (Almost a month)

Full rest day tomorrow, light cardio on saturday and sunday im going to chuck 60KG on the bar and test myself.

#7 resistance

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Had to have a rest day on friday, felt like a lazy kent all day but i guess i need to get used to having the odd day off from training... <_<

Saturday 17MAR2012
Morning - rode 34km round trip with ALOT of hills.

Afternoon
WARM UP
1km run
5km cycle

Assisted Pull Ups - 40kgX10repsX4sets
Lat Pull Down - 60kgX10repsX4sets
Squats -
  • BarX10
  • BarX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 40kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10
  • 50kgX10

TODAY 18MAR2012

Chest Press - 50kgX10repsX3sets
Assisted Pull Ups - 40kgX10repsX3sets
Lat Pull Down - 60kgX10repsX3sets
Bench Press - 50kgX10repsX3sets
Squats - 50KGx10repsX3sets
Leg Press - 130kgX10repsX3sets

#8 Dr. Cranium

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

You should train 4 days out of 7 unless your diet and recovery is absolutely perfect. You can do light active recover on the other days.

You may see gains in the short term doing that much training, but an injury and/or CNS shutdown will stop you in your tracks.

WHY, are you doing machine assisted excercises when you want to be in the Army? Do you sit in a machine and push things in the bush, the answer is no, train the way you live, and that's on your feet!

#9 resistance

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostDr. Cranium, on 18 March 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

You should train 4 days out of 7 unless your diet and recovery is absolutely perfect. You can do light active recover on the other days. You may see gains in the short term doing that much training, but an injury and/or CNS shutdown will stop you in your tracks. WHY, are you doing machine assisted excercises when you want to be in the Army? Do you sit in a machine and push things in the bush, the answer is no, train the way you live, and that's on your feet!

i havnt got the upper body strength to do a unassisted chinup/heave yet so using that machine until i get a bit stronger and can do them on there own.
other then that i dont used the assisted or cable machines.

#10 Dr. Cranium

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Lat pull downs and leg presses are machines.

#11 resistance

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

so your saying i shouldnt be using any machines at all, just free weights??

#12 Dr. Cranium

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postresistance, on 20 March 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

so your saying i shouldnt be using any machines at all, just free weights??

Strength training should be functional and carry over into every day activities.

The only excercises i reccomend to people are;

Squats
Deadlifts
Rows
Chins
Dips
Overhead presses
Cleans
Jerks
Power snatches.

And the variants of these.

You want to be in the army, you will never do anything physical sitting in a chair, so why would you do it at the gym? There is no carry over.

#13 resistance

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Makes alot of sense... im starting a Combat fitness circuit next week which is exactly what paul (PT) used to run his guys through when he was in the Army.

Cant bend my back properly after doing deadlifts and cleans for the first time yesterday, obviously my form was way off as i have never done them before so i know why im sore... just cardio for me today :(

#14 resistance

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

TODAY 21MAR2012

Quick warm up 1km run @ 10km/ph

Assisted Chin-Ups - 40kgX10repsX5sets
Squats - 60kgX10repsX5sets
Mil Press - 40kgX10repsX5sets
Deadlifts - 55kgX10repsX5sets

Final set of each exercise was till fail so i hit 10 then did 1-3 more roughly.

I find my body does not react to those pre workout drinks very well, always end up really shaky and end up feeling real twisted in the head.
Would a sugar free red-bull + banana be a suitable replacement?

#15 Dr. Cranium

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

If you need energy pre workout then you need to adjust your diet.

Also, deadlifts put a huge strain not just on your lower back but your whole body, i would reccomend keeping the reps below 5, and then 3 as your weights go up.

Try doing some negative chin ups, rather than assisted, as in my experience it allows somebody to chin much faster than doing assisted.

#16 resistance

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

my diet sucks atm, had f**k all money to go food shopping with so was making do, need to go get some real food in the morning and start eating properly.

#17 resistance

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

for some strange reason my left knee wasnt agreeing with anyheavy lifting tonight so i just did upper body.

Assisted Chin-Ups - 40kgX10repsX5sets
Mil Press - 40kgX10repsX5sets
Lat Pulldown - 60kgX10repsX5sets
Bench Press - 40kgX10repsX5sets
Squatted Cable Row - 30kgX10repsX5sets

cycled 40km today, was rooted when i got home but felt great to clock some KMs on the bike after all this rain.

f**king stoked about this...
WEIGHT - 87KG

#18 eclipse492

• Car:S13

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Like Dr. Cranium said lowering your deadlift reps might be a decent idea to avoid injuries. Something i've always been a big advocate for is just standing up straight for a second or two in between deadlift reps. Just a brief gap in between each rep lets the discs in your spine decompress and doesnt really affect your results but can reduce complications.

Glad to see how well you're progressing. Keep up the great work

#19 resistance

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Cheers, its a good feeling when you notice new muscles sticking out when they never have before... my legs are exploding with all the cycling and lifting!!!

#20 resistance

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

ARMS!!! WHAT ARMS??

Did my first "combat fitness circuit" today... i knew i was getting fitter but def proud of what i hav acheived so far.

12kg med ball throws to hit a target at least 4m hgh X 50 reps.
50 pushups
50 crunches
15kg squat thrusts X 50 reps
16kg kettlebell swings + 500m row.

first round was with a 1 minute break in between each exercise
second round was the same but with only 20reps and no break in between each exercise.

And did my first unassisted chin up today... it may not sound like much to everyone else but its huge for me, never been able to do them ^_^

tomorrow mission is to go out and purchase the following:

sledge hammer
16kg kettle bell
10kg platesx2
skipping rope
and to find someone to weld me up a similar device like what scott uses in this video.

#21 Dr. Cranium

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Get a keg. Seriously.

Find a welder, grab some scrap metal and weld it into something like that, won't be hard!

#22 resistance

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

might go and hang out behind the local tomorrow and knock off a keg lol
would be much cheaper then buying the 10kg plates too :thumb:

#23 Dr. Cranium

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

If you want functional strength get the following.

64kg KB
Keg
Sandbag
some polished smooth rocks.

Some shitty old 20kg plates to throw/do other stuff with, buy cheap shitting 2nd hand ones.

#24 resistance

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

knees f**ked.. im really getting over not being able to do a full body workout.

did just upper body last night, went to the gym at 8 and it was packed so turned straight back to go home and ended up down there at 11pm...

chin ups
lat pull down
squatted row
mil press

was a basic session, had energy to burn so smashed through it quickly, home + protein and bed.
Got my final medical for pre enlistment tomorrow... not looking forward to having the doc inspect my knee but ahh well...
Posted Image

#25 resistance

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

All good... Med Class1 which means perfect health and nothing wrong with me so now its just a blood test and a 7.5 beep test from stopping me from getting on that bus.

even though i run more then double what i need to 3-4 times a week im still a little nervous about the beep test :S

knee is a little better but still not great, not pushing the weights up with the squats and not deadlifting anymore as i cannot afford to do more damage :(

bench and mil press is improving 60kgX10X5sets
assisted chin ups 30kgX10X5sets
Lat pulldown 80kgX10X5sets
seated row 40kgX10X5sets
squats 50kgX10X 3 sets before my knee started to hurt
leg press 160kgX10X3sets then dropped it down to 120kg for the final 2 sets
elevated pushups 10X5sets(feet up on a box, full proper pushups, 90degree arms chest as close to the ground as possible)
then some core exercise i cannot remember the name of, much like doing crunches but on some sort of rack lifting my legs instead of on the ground.

felt good after that session, gym was busy so it took a while... going in early tomorrow to smash it again before getting the rest of my sleeve done.

best moment was when a mate i used to work with walked into the gym and told me how good i was looking and that ive thinned out heaps since the last time i saw him (7 weeks ago)

#26 resistance

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Soo i havnt been in here for nearly 2 months... Doesnt mean i stopped training. ;)

Ive changed things up a but and had a few family things go on including moving from brisbane and needing to find a decent gym and my grandfather being in hospital :S

Now my session, monday to saturday goes like this.

Lat Pulldown non cable - 60kgx10x3
Squatted row - 40kgx10x3
Squat thrusts - 20kgx10x3
Not sure of the name but 25kg power bar, inside grip feom waist to chin. 25kgx10x3

Mil press 40kgx10x5
Squats 60kgx10x5
Pushups x10x5
Situps x10x5
I do a set of pushups and situps between sets of squats or deadlifts and alternate my workout so squats one day,
Deadlifts the next.
Deadlift 60kgx5x2 warmup then 6 sets of 5 increasing the weight till 110kg.

Feeling the strongest ive ever been in my life right now, my legs have exploded and everything else is starting to show now which im pretty proud of.

Ive had alot of people including pt's tell me im doing it all wrong and that i shoukdnt train whole body as much as i do but ive been fine for the last 5 months, havnt injured myself and feel healthy as shit so fvck the haters. haha

Edited by resistance, 05 June 2012 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!