Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Photographers making money! - Hardtuned.net

Photographers making money! 

47 replies to this topic

#1 omg_its_trent

• Car:R33 4door

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Ok so need a little insight into your industry!

Basically wanting to know how and where you guys/gals sell your pictures?!

Is there a website you use?

How easy/hard is it to make a few dollars on you efforts?

Keen to hear from motorsport photographers also who take 1000shots plus per event.

Cheers

#2 MaTBoY

• Car:R32

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hard. Very hard. I don't think anyone in here relies solely on photo income.

#3 Siddr20

• Car:Chaser JZX100

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Im hoping to make photography my full-time job but thats due to doing wedding photography and other gigs like family shoots, model shoots etc. Even then you hardly get any print sales :(

Otherwise you can try selling your photos on websites like redbubble. But doubt you will make a good income out of it. I only sold a few prints on there but nothing you can make a living out of.
You can also try uploading your randon pics to stock photography and hope someone buys it.

These days everyone has a dslr so its hard to make print sales. There are heaps of photographers out there who sell prints only and make it a full-time job like Ken Duncan etc. But he is well established and his work is great and so are other pro photographers. But like anything you need to be established, a good business plan and most of all keep pushing yourself and being creative.

Theres a few videos on fstoppers on this exact topic. Do a search for it.

#4 omg_its_trent

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for info guys keep it coming.

I'm no photographer not talented enough like you guys! And jay ur photos are brilliant.

Basically I have an idea for photographers like your self to sell your photos.

What are the options for you guys now?

I went on redbubble Sid and it was confusing to navigate(granted I was on iPhone) it didn't seem like it was dedicated to sell photos.

#5 Siddr20

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I find redbubble easy to navigate. Then again have been on there for years.

#6 omg_its_trent

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

nah not really like picstars a similarity or two but on a whole my concept is much different.

Sid i finally got on redbubble on the a proper computer and its much easier to navigate :lol: it is good but still too much going on for my liking and its missing some basic key elements.

Say a photographer takes 2000 photos at a drift day. He/she try's to sell them to the drivers(most ns. users). On average. how many photo do you think would sell? and how much is a photo of that nature worth?

#7 MaTBoY

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Depends on the photographer and the shots they took. But generally the take up is quite low. You always get tonnes of interest but very little commitment. Unless you count people asking for wallpaper or to send them all your high res. Lol
Business owners and more advanced drivers show a little more respect for work I've found.

If your making another place to host/sell pics good luck, if u want to convert viewers to buyers though you'll have to overcome the challenge of viewers think a photo costs nothing to produce and has little to no value.( until their car gets smashed/sold/stolen heh)

Tell us more about your project. We might be able to offer u a different perspective and experience.

#8 omg_its_trent

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

That's good info matboy, I think my idea would solve all the problems you mentioned. It would be prime talking the idea out but first I need to do a business plan and secure it as my idea so it can not be stolen!

Ill have to come back to this thread in a little bit. Need to do more research

#9 KidDynamite

• Car:S14A

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

like sidd already said there is money but its hard to make a living out of it that said my missus is a professinal photographer she has had her work on the advan website timeattack and has had offered events and work but due to personal matters she had to knock it back so if your lucky you might make a living off it mind you she takes like 500-1000 per event and is only happy with 30-40 photos max :lol: eventaully i want my own dslr since she is teaching me things and i have a intrest in it and try to involve myself in her domain :)

#10 Deanis

• Car:s15 autech

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

At one stage I wanted to get into it but you're better off keeping it on the side and for fun man.

It's a very overcrowded industry & would be very difficult to break in without contacts.

I wish you the best of luck either way but it could be a good idea to make some contacts and tag along first.

#11 koguchi

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

I wanna try and get into the real estate photography / image retouching and processing, I have found that there are quite a lot of jobs available for photographers, but you would need a pretty damn good portfolio to compete with others trying to get the job.

A few comments in this thread have made me a little scared as they appear to be educated comments that are negative with regards to trying to make an income off it.
Although, I don't think I will be trying to run my own business or anything, just try to get a job in a stable position, the photography will hopefully just compliment the digital image manipulation skills I have...I hope..I will probably pick up a DSLR this week, I have my heart set on a cannon 550D to get started.

#12 wpn-200

• Car:2001 200 spec s , 2.6 sigma station wagon

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

way i see it there needs to be a well known website specific to motorsport that can be known in the state motorsport scene that is divided up into each motor sport discipline and photographers can upload a few images of certain events. then if there is someone interested in photos they can go to the site, see if there has been a post on the event by a photographer and then follow a link to there own personal site.

Problem with selling motorsport prints is that no one knows who you are or where your photos are to be viewed at so they can be purchased. Aat the time there thrashing around the track and your generally the last thing on there mind, unless your like D1 davey who opens his door mid drift for a photo opportunity haha
im sure there is a tiny market out there for people that want a professional shot of them and there car other then there wifes or friends phone camera snap. specially when countless hours and money goes into a project.
will add more ramblings later haha

#13 CalebS15

• Car:JDM Spec R

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Ive been publishing photos in 2020 bmx mag for a few years now but with that industry being relatively small there is no way id want to rely on money solely from that. I make the occasional dollar doing freelance stuff which is good but i work and study as well so im hedging my bets haha

#14 kranze

• Car:NM35

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

View PostCalebS15, on 14 July 2011 - 05:35 AM, said:

Ive been publishing photos in 2020 bmx mag for a few years now but with that industry being relatively small there is no way id want to rely on money solely from that. I make the occasional dollar doing freelance stuff which is good but i work and study as well so im hedging my bets haha

no shit!

got any in the most recent one? i've probably been looking at your photos for years but haven't even known about it haha

#15 FST513

• Car:Evo VIII MR

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

To crack into the Motorsport industry, it's definitely who you know. You need to be putting out quality work and consistently as well as getting along to a lot of events. Not to mention that there are only really 3 tracks in Sydney and it's surround being Eastern Creek/Wakefield and MDTC.

I've shot for Yokohama/Advan last year for example, shot events for certain clubs, had photos published in magazines, shoot for blogs, official photographer for clubs etc.... I've made money off it, But nothing to brag about. To become a pro, you would need to be tied in with a magazine or a big company or an excellent free-lance photography with great contacts.
The pay is excellent when you are, but the money is mostly in Automotive photography. Get your foot in the door doing automotive photography and rig shots etc.. then branch off to doing motorsports. I think that would be the easier way as well as open up the door that you can do both and do them competently.

I wouldn't really say that taking 1000+ shots at an event is necessary either. The only time i have taken that many shots is last year at WTAC and will be again at this years WTAC.

As Matt has said, there is soooo much interest to view the photos, but barely anyone commits to actually buying the photo. They expect wallpapers and full res photos for free. Like you travelled out there, shot with your own gear, drove home, processed the photo and uploaded it onto your own web host etc.. all for free...

Hope your idea is coming along, look forward to hearing what it is.

#16 CalebS15

• Car:JDM Spec R

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

View Postkranze, on 14 July 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

View PostCalebS15, on 14 July 2011 - 05:35 AM, said:

no shit!

got any in the most recent one? i've probably been looking at your photos for years but haven't even known about it haha

I should have an Ad in there for Eastern bikes but im OS at the moment so havent been able to check

#17 s15_kid

• Car:s15

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Every1 seems to be a "photographer" these days, you cant really make money in this area and it should definately not be your main relied source of imcome. You should just do it as a hobby however if you are good enough, so called "models" will pay you to take picsture of them

#18 MaTBoY

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

All you need is a watermark to be 'pro' ;)

#19 koguchi

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

haha says the the guy whos avtar is his watermark :D

#20 FST513

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

View Posts15_kid, on 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

Every1 seems to be a "photographer" these days, you cant really make money in this area and it should definately not be your main relied source of imcome. You should just do it as a hobby however if you are good enough, so called "models" will pay you to take picsture of them

I'll admit there are a tonne of "photographers" these days. But the people who put in the hard effort and continue to shoot and improve as well as know how to market there business can get there foot in the door.

You actually can "make money in this area" you just have to stand out from the 10000000000000000000 photographers that there are.

#21 Malifor

• Car:Nissan Skyline R32

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

I could live solely off my photography, but I live in a town with pretty much 2 photographers. One of which I still find it hard calling her a photographer...

Basically I've found most money in studio shoots which are shit boring. I take about 3,000 plus shots at a drift event, and I'm more than happy to give these to the drivers, I don't do that for the money, i enjoy the sport and the more exposure it gets the better!

Any photographer who can live off motorsport photography... hats off to you!

#22 TougeR34

• Car:R34 GTT

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

You can make money EASILY from photography, the hard part is getting that ONE killer photograph everyone else missed!

#23 KidDynamite

• Car:S14A

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

View PostMalifor, on 11 August 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

I could live solely off my photography, but I live in a town with pretty much 2 photographers. One of which I still find it hard calling her a photographer...

Basically I've found most money in studio shoots which are shit boring. I take about 3,000 plus shots at a drift event, and I'm more than happy to give these to the drivers, I don't do that for the money, i enjoy the sport and the more exposure it gets the better!

Any photographer who can live off motorsport photography... hats off to you!
AKA speedhunters :shades:

#24 JONTY

• Car:hyundai excel

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

There arent enough motorsport events that you coudl make a living off. $50-60-70K off motorport events??? hrm, you gotta be one talented photographer, or it be part of a second form of income.

I good friend of mine shoots for Express publications, and photography is not his main form of income.
As above, if you are making enough to pay your house, kids, car etc, off purely motorport photog, then you are doing very well! Then again, how much $ would you consider 'making a living' ?

If you are new to photography , kickside along wedding photogs as a start. Wedding and portrai photography is amongst the 'easiest' direction to make money. But also , ifyoure a sh1t kent, your work and name will be spread around too within the photog community.

You have to realise alot of motorsport photographers are freelancers, or photogs building their portfolio, even 'official event' photogs would get peanuts from a days shoot. You can see from post drift events that certain fotogs offer full prints for a nom price. You have established event photogs who try to make a bit of petrol money that you will be taking away a chunk of their $ away with your new 'photo system'. So just be aware of who you colab with and if you want MrX photog within your team, but you dont want Mr Z. in other words it could get a bit caty?

#25 kranze

• Car:NM35

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

that last paragraph made my head explode

#26 nicks15

• Car:nissan s15

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

View PostMaTBoY, on 20 June 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

i do, iv been going it for over a year now and have been doing it full time..

www.nickartphotography.com

and yes it's very hard to sell work

#27 FST513

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

View Postnicks15, on 24 August 2011 - 11:16 PM, said:

View PostMaTBoY, on 20 June 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

i do, iv been going it for over a year now and have been doing it full time..

www.nickartphotography.com

and yes it's very hard to sell work

Checked out your website. You have really quality work mate, you should be proud and i can see why you do it for a living :) Keep up the good work mate and start posting!

#28 MaTBoY

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

Excellent work there Nick! Very nice indeed.

Koguchi... the watermark is my family crest ;) so my family crest is my avatar :P

#29 Guest_Mad dog renegade_*

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

The photographer who did my wedding chrges $4000 dollars for one day weddings. Which includes I think 50 photos. He used to do anywhere up to 2 a week, also photographed the British royal family jewels etc. If you are good, eventually someone will notice you, and allow you to become great.

#30 Siddr20

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

50 photos?? I would be pretty cut if all I got was 50 photos no matter what price I paid for a wedding photographer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!