Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S15 Steering wheel onto S13 - Hardtuned.net

S15 Steering wheel onto S13 

29 replies to this topic

#1 S13_BoY

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

hey guys

just wanting to see if anyone knows whether an S15 Steering wheel will fit onto an S13 steering wheel mount?

#2 A.K.

• Car:s13 zenki

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

I know it will, as my mate is planning on doing it, I'll ask in the morning and report back for ya :)

#3 zahmad

• Car:s13 Silvia SR20DE

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

Any updates? Anyone here done it?

Edited by zahmad, 25 October 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#4 zahmad

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Bump

#5 Singstar

• Car:200sx

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Have you tried it? You know, taking your steering wheel off and putting the other one on, and tightening it up? And then driving down the road and realising steering wheels do pretty much the same job?

#6 zahmad

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

That was my question <_<

#7 pernie_a

• Car:1994 S14 200SX RB26

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

View PostWizard, on 26 October 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Have you tried it? You know, taking your steering wheel off and putting the other one on, and tightening it up? And then driving down the road and realising steering wheels do pretty much the same job?

except its got a big airbag sized horn button now...

#8 Shakey Bones

• Car:S15

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

Ive herd it works fine, just that it wont turn your indicators off automatically.

But no experience first hand.

Nice wheel I have one if you are keen.

#9 zahmad

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

I ask because the s13 wheel is worn and needs a replacement. Instead of getting any old aftermarket wheel, I could get the s15 or s14 wheel but would like to hear from people who have personally done it.

#10 180sx_wa

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

i put one on my old 180, but that originally had an airbag steering wheel, the horn didnt work as the plugs are different so you will have to play around with wiring

#11 zahmad

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

I have read on the US 240sx forum that they also fit the 180sx airbag wheel without a problem, but I think it requires a different ring to that o the existing s13 one...

Edited by zahmad, 27 October 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#12 Es13

• Car:Silvia brah VZ SS

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

why not just get a 'Drift' steering wheel or some decent looking one. You can get legal ones of them and they're much more
comfortable to drive with in my oppinion.

#13 zahmad

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

And loose the nice stock look as well as no automatic turn signal off? No thanks...

#14 S Fort

• Car:S14A + S12

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

You can find JDM S14 Nardi wheels around - best of both worlds.

#15 Singstar

• Car:200sx

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

It takes you roughly 5 minutes to get used to turning off the indicator yourself. See if you can find a wheel that's comfortable.

#16 Moneypit

• Car:s13 ca18DET silvia

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

View Postzahmad, on 28 October 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

And loose the nice stock look as well as no automatic turn signal off? No thanks...
Don't get u on this bit.
I have had 2 different aftermarket wheels and boss kits on my S13 and the indicators self cancel just fine.

#17 zahmad

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

View PostMoneypit, on 29 October 2010 - 10:04 PM, said:

Don't get u on this bit.
I have had 2 different aftermarket wheels and boss kits on my S13 and the indicators self cancel just fine.

Great! Share more info on that? No one has shared this information and there doesn't seem to be a faq written on such a topic on the forums.

#18 zahmad

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Bump?

#19 Lucius

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

I recently put an S15 wheel into my Silvia.

It is very straightforward and you can make it turn off the indicators and get the horn working too with a little know-how.

I had to modify/hack up a some bits from a perfectly good boss kit (the one from my old Nardi no less) to get the horn working and also to make it look neat. I liked having to manually turn off the indicators so didn't worry about the little pins that cancel the indicators though it would be easy to add them in.

The steering wheel will sit out quite a bit more than the regular steering wheel if you don't trim back the metal part (on the wheel) that mounts to the steering column. As i am tall i rather liked the extra distance, it does mean that the indicator and wiper stalks are slightly further away though (not a problem unless you have midget fingers).

I bought my wheel minus the airbag already, so didn't need to worry about it exploding in my face while trying to remove it.

Ill get some pics tomorrow.

#20 MILK-13

• Car:S13 Project

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

View Postzahmad, on 30 October 2010 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostMoneypit, on 29 October 2010 - 10:04 PM, said:

Don't get u on this bit.

Great! Share more info on that? No one has shared this information and there doesn't seem to be a faq written on such a topic on the forums.
You just need the correct boss kit...GKtech have some and make a point of saying these will self cancel. Goavalooksee

#21 zahmad

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostLucius, on 04 November 2010 - 07:37 PM, said:

I recently put an S15 wheel into my Silvia.

It is very straightforward and you can make it turn off the indicators and get the horn working too with a little know-how.

Ill get some pics tomorrow.

Great! Keen to learn more! I wouldn't mind getting a Nardi, but atm my plans for the N/A is to keep it factory spec :P
So a Silvia or Nissan wheel it is going to be!

MILK-13, GKTech don't have those anymore...

#22 MILK-13

• Car:S13 Project

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

ah fair enough.

Keen to see said write up on the S15 wheel install :thumbsup:

#23 Lucius

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

<Delete Post - see below for complete guide>

#24 zahmad

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Now I'm super keen! Thanks again for going into the trouble of show us!

#25 KEslid3r

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Stupid question.. how do you get the steering wheel off with the airbag in the way? i want an OMP for my s15 :D

#26 Lucius

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

Safety First:

Playing with a steering wheel that contains an airbag is dangerous! They are highly explosive and can kill you. Before you start it is a good idea to disconnect the battery to make sure that you don't accidentally set it off during installation. I take no responsibility if you decide to do this conversion and something goes wrong, it is a guide only!

Now, i purchased my wheel minus the airbag, so i didn't have to worry about copping an exploding bag in the face. As such i am not sure how you would remove the explosive module from the steering wheel. If you get a wheel with the explosive module still in it take it to an expert to have it removed if your not confident you can do it safely yourself.

Special Parts Required:

- S15 Steering Wheel
- Boss Kit (i used my old Nardi one)
- T30 Torx Bit

Guide:

1. Remove your old wheel.

Attached Image: IMG_5871.jpg

In the picture above you can see the pin that makes contact with the clockspring and allows the horn to work. One of the switches/levers that is used to auto-cancel the indicators is also shown (the switch that extends when you indicate right).

2. Now, with your S15 steering wheel in hand the first thing you will need to do is remove the centre cover/horn button from the wheel. To do this you need to pop off the covers that are located on the sides of the steering wheel. There are two covers one on each side.

Attached Image: IMG_5856.JPG

Once the covers are removed you will need to use a T30 Torx bit to undo the two bolts that hold the front cover onto the wheel (one on each side).

Attached Image: IMG_5860.jpg

The airbags explosive module (if your wheel has it) and the bag itself are attached to the centre cover. There will be a wire attached to the explosive module that you will need to disconnect in order to get the centre cover off completely and out of the way.

3. With the cover off you will be able to see a connector with two wires in it in the top left of the steering wheel, along with a wire that is riveted on to the metal frame that activates the horn. Take the connector out of the steering wheel and cut the horn wire up near the connector. Remove the connector and any other wires.

Attached Image: IMG_5864.jpg

4. The wire that is riveted to the metal frame needs to be connected to the clockspring. The clockspring will need to be taken from the donor boss kit. To do this feed the wire through the hole shown in the picture above. I used an epoxy resin to cover the solder join on the clock spring as i have had the solder get old and break resulting in a non-functioning horn (i got a little carried away with the epoxy). Note: I am unsure if the S15 clockspring can be modified to suit the S13 as i didn't get one when i purchased my wheel.

Attached Image: IMG_5869.jpg

You can see in the above picture the large protrusion on the back of the S15 wheel that results in the space behind the steering wheel. If you don't want the space you can trim this down, but i rather liked the position it put the wheel in.

5. To keep the clockspring from moving around on the shaft at the back of the steering wheel you will need to add some sort of spacer. You can use a small piece of PVC pipe or anything that can similarly be used as a spacer.

Attached Image: IMG_5868.jpg

The aim here is to have the rear of the clockspring flush with the end of that metal protrusion on the back of the S15 steering wheel as shown above.

6. I didn't do this step as i like having manual control over my indicators. But to get the indicators to auto-cancel you will need to add the pins that came with your boss kit into the appropriate holes on the clockspring. If you don't have the original pins i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to improvise something.

Attached Image: IMG_5867.jpg

8. The final modification step is to cover up the clock spring and make that gap at the back of the steering wheel look normal. I did this by hacking up the cover that came with the donor boss kit.

Attached Image: IMG_5874.jpg

You don't have to do this, but it makes things look much neater.

Attached Image: IMG_5854.JPG

9. Bolt the steering wheel on to the steering column

10. Before putting the steering wheels centre cover back on it is best to take the car for a quick drive up the street to make sure the wheel is properly centred and also that the horn works. To check if the horn works reconnect the battery if you disconnected it and press on the metal frame that the horn wire is riveted to.

11. Once the wheel is properly centred, reattach the centre cover and enjoy the hugs and kisses from the police for not having a steering wheel with a metal centre.

Attached Image: IMG_5852.JPG

#27 zahmad

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks heaps mate! Mind sharing where you got the wheel without the airbag still in?

#28 Lucius

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Bought it from someone on here or SilviaNSW that planned on installing it to their S13.

They bought it without the airbag and i didn't ask who they got it from.

#29 jonesl

• Car:180SX

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Awesome Write up, There are many threads about this, this is the only one with an answer.
Great way to update the look of the old s13.
Thanks.

#30 FerretS13

• Car:1988 S13 JDM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

The back of the stock S13 wheel can be used in place of parts from a boss kit just undo the screws file out the hole to suite remove/cut off the lugs from the screws solder the horn wire to the contact ring and use something like "Q-bond" to attach to the back of the S15 wheel.
note also you may want to fill the cavety where the airbag was with rags, foam or something similar or you might find you hand going threw the centre of the wheel while tooting the horn.

Edited by FerretS13, 15 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!