Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Fabrication Pics Thread - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

Fabrication Pics Thread 

626 replies to this topic

#61 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

I was trying to do moon cresents LOL failed I know.
Theres no option to turn amps up or anything :S

#62 Simon-S14

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

what electrode and size are you using?

surely the welder has amp control...

#63 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

View PostRolled Cambers, on 21 July 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I was trying to do moon cresents LOL failed I know.
Theres no option to turn amps up or anything :S
first off id suggest reading the manual to grasp whats what, but i assume you use the min/max and 1/2/3(?) toggle switches to adjust amps

and before practicing in welding 2 pieces together, get a reasonable sized bit of plate steel and just run practice beads until you get a bit of an idea what your doing.

dont overwork the welder either, it is a cheapie so it will be prone to overheating easily. give it breaks and let it cool down/

#64 Rolled Cambers

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

I'm using standard electrodes, don't know what size.
The machine is simple, and pretty old, don't think it has any dials, doesn't look like it.
It does not overheat at all, no matter how long I use it for, it just doesn't. Done about 2 hours work on it once, and didn't fail!
This thing is a beast!

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.

#65 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

View PostRolled Cambers, on 21 July 2011 - 11:18 PM, said:

I'm using standard electrodes,
u mean G,P's? general purpose rods?

#66 Rolled Cambers

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Yup, just them cheap general purpose 1.50 pack of electrodes for now.

#67 NickRB20

• Car:Sil80, 32 4dr

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

C'mon man it has to have amp control. Usually its a pole looking thing that slides in and out of the top of it, probably has a clamp of some sort.
What the f**k are you talking about moon crescents? Just learn to stick one piece of steel to the other would be a start. You'll find that your hand naturally weaves and makes moon crescents anyway, well mine does anyway, maybe I'm f**ked.
The best place to start would be grab a piece of flat steel 5+mm thick and crank the amps right up and go to town on it, laying down flat welds straight. This will get you to learn how to strike an arc and stop start when you think its getting too hot. (protip: only stop for less then a second otherwise the slag will cool off too much and contaminate the weld)
Then grab another piece of flat and put it at 90 degrees and weld the V between the two. It would be ideal if it were the same thickness.
Then if you've got more steel lying around grab a thinner piece of flat (preferably less than 3mm, probably not much less though) and put it on a 90 and weld it to the 5+mm flat. That way you'll learn to concentrate your heat on the parent metal after the first few times you blow the shit out of it.
THEN maybe have a go at welding those 2 pieces of pipe you had together, well whats left of them anyway.
ALSO welding isn't a race, slow down and let it burn in. Too many beginners go too quick, there isn't enough weld there. I'll edit this if I look at your picture again on my computer, I'm on my phone and couldn't be f**ked opening the picture.
ALSO it's a fine line between sitting there blowing an arc just melting the shit out of the rod and the parent metal and digging in too hard. The distance between the parent metal and the tip of the electrode isn't easy to judge first up.
EDIT: 1.5s? Really?

#68 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

It does not have to have amp control. I know for a fact my old man use to have an old one which did not have amp control. I never used it however.

#69 Rolled Cambers

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Yeah mines an old ass one with no amp control on it.

#70 NickRB20

• Car:Sil80, 32 4dr

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I was using one today that was about 40 years old even it had amp control. Yours must be absolute shite, or a dinosaur :lol:

#71 STR8E180

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

View PostJoeyTA22, on 03 July 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

Cross bar added to the main hoop today...

Posted Image
joey been doing any more work matE? im looking forward to seeing some progress

#72 JoeyTA22

• Car:RA23, R32GTR & 180sx

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Nah havn't done any more work on the cage yet, been busy with work. Tried to make up some fender braces this arvo. Will try and add a lower bar to make it a triangular shape tomorrow, but not sure how i will go with this as around the wheel arch area is raised and then inclines down towards the lower door hinge quite alot meaning i wont be able to use a flat bar as it will stick out too far and hit the guard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by JoeyTA22, 23 July 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#73 STR8E180

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

make sure reinforce the 90 degree angles u used
i reinforced mine on the other side ( cant see it in the pics sorry )
i could of added another bar to make it a full triangular shape but i didnt think it was really needed, ill do it on the next set i make

Posted Image

Posted Image

#74 JoeyTA22

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, going to add some triangular ends to help reinforcement, just tacked welded it all for now until i figure out final layout. Using some flat bar like you have would have been smarter, i'm using some 2.5mm oval shaped type mild tube, going to be a prick for clearance.

#75 JoeyTA22

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

A bit of "massaging" was needed to keep it lined up nicely and fit under the guard.

Posted Image

#76 STR8E180

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

not my work but a very impressive RB

note the water to air intercooler after the throttle body

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#77 STR8E180

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

not my work but still very impressive

Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 wpn-200

• Car:2001 200 spec s , 2.6 sigma station wagon

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

this is what a mate and i have done so far on my s12. he welds and i cut, prep, notch and bend as i cant weld for shit haha first time for both of us doing something to this degree. has gone pretty smoothly so far
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
rest can be found here
http://nissansilvia....howtopic=470411

and str8e180. i noticed in one of the other fab threads that you did an s15 cage and a few other bits and pieces, is there a build thread for it any where so i can have a look as im going to be building my s15 up once this s12 is done. thanks

#79 STR8E180

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

^ nah no build thread for that s15
What do u need to know ? Just send me a pm

#80 nismo_man

• Car:S13 Nissan Silvia K

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

some pics of what ive done. I work with heavy steel everyday. pretty boring. Nice to come home and have a play with car fab.
will be attempting a roll cage next. House mate has ordered a bender and notcher from the states

Pipe acts as a awesome jacking point that you can see threw the number plate hole in the rear bar. no more laying on the ground
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 turael

• Car:180sx, Aristo, R33

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Be gentle, this is my first fabrication project. Basically learnt welding while I was doing this, so some welds are totally shit! but some are OK I think.

Well at least I chose something worth while:
RB25DET powered buggy, built with home grown plans (mistake).

Here's how it is at the moment, stripped of most gear and biding its time until I have time/money to work on it again (note the bent rear shocks - lol):

Posted Image

turbo area - exhaust pipe hard to weld, so thin it just blows through...

Posted Image

turns out it was fairly time consuming to get this all working - had to rush a lot of parts.

Posted Image
Posted Image

wiring was a mess, took a few weekends but eventually got it sorted really nicely. Yeah it's auto, but I am changing to manual as soon as I can.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

yes thats a keg as fuel tank. Some time in the future it will be a fuel cell :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

welding the bottom bits. tube is rollcage stuff by the way, except for the blue tube which is erw
Posted Image

used a notcher and MIG to get results like this, I know it's not the best, but it hasn't come apart yet!
Posted Image

nearing the end of the project I could almost lay a proper weld.
Posted Image

after some mud work
Posted Image

it's missing something in this pic, see if you can find what...
Posted Image

that is all for now, hope you enjoyed and had a good laugh. PS the only stuff that broke were the arms - mild steel bends easily it seems. The rear shock top hoop bent a bit, will reinforce that. The rest of the chassis is A-OK still! :D

Suggestions for strengthening chassis are welcome. And note that all non-aluminium body work is being replaced, screw rust!

#82 Red_Gem

• Car:gtr

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

It's missing rear track. What do I win?

#83 Butterz1

• Car:Patrol

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

nah man he's missing his radiator lol... wonder where that went haha not the best thing to loose whilst out in the bush..

#84 turael

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

it's not missing rear track as much as the body is ridiculously wide :) ... bit of a f**kup while doing the initial design. Wasn't supposed to be that wide, but I couldn't change it without wasting a lot of tube.

it's standard R33 track on the rear with 30mm spacers.

Yeah the rad popped out of its mount and fell over - lucky the pipes didn't come off. The water you can see is from the overflow tube coming off.
Popped it back up and continued on, put in a more thorough mount when I was back at the farm :D

#85 STR8E180

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

turael where u from ? i would love to go for a ride in that

#86 turael

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hey, I'm from WA, and the buggy runs out at Lake Grace on our farm.

Going to get a lot of work done to it before its next day out. It is a lot of fun to drive though, even with the auto.

#87 R32GTRS

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

I want to do the same thing with the rb20 sitting in my shed. Probably a smaller more lightweight more narrow and shorter frame though. Id build some sort of bonnet and gaurds over the engine if you havent already, would get mega dirty and muddy.

#88 sidies

• Car:s14 silvia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Heres my latest fibreglass fab

Factory fit front bumper intake kit ( Its a bit rough but just a mock up at this stage )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Needs some black dimond mesh, I made a cover for it so if its pissing down ( puddles everywhere ) I can alan key it on
Posted Image

#89 R32GTRS

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

win!
neater then a bit of flex pipe lol

#90 sidies

• Car:s14 silvia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yeah the good old days , a cable tie and a flexi pipe .
Haven't tested it yet, thats always fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!