Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
buoy's training journal - Hardtuned.net

buoy's training journal 

119 replies to this topic

#1 buoy

• Car:RAV4

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 20th, 2007

Weight: 87kgs
Height: 170cm

Current training cycle: bulking

Aim: Get up to 90kg proper (not with retaining water/bladder/gut full of food) by end of May 2007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 7th, 1941 (naah, 2006 :P )

Weight: 83kgs
Height: 170cm

Current training cycle: cutting

Aim: Get down to 10% BF by end of September.

Weekly routine: 3 day split

Monday: Squats, general leg work
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Upper body Part 1 of 2. Mainly chest, shoulders, arms.
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Upper body Part 2 of 2. Back, shrugs.
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

I'll post up some stuff from next training session onwards.

#2 buoy

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

Current situation: September 11th, 2006.

eat: had a good run fri. i counted 6 meals during the whole day. sat morning tho i didn't eat until 2pm, so a 9hr "gap" from when i fell asleep. sat had ribs. big sugary meal (no good :( ) sun started to eat regularly again but wasn't too crash hot.

sleep: Weekend extravaganza blah blahs. Went to a concert on Sat night. Bad sleeping patterns. Went to bed usually between 4am-5am on fri/sat/sun. but slept until midday or a bit later usually.

train: no training performed on the weekend.

Next training scheduled: Monday evening around 6pm. Squats.

#3 buoy

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

did squatties today.

just did

20 x bar warmies
10 x 40kg set
08 x 70kg set
04 x 90kg set
06 x 70kg set
08 x 40kg warm down

nothing special. i made shure i went way way down and my right knee was ok. i perhaps could have done more but better safe than sorry.

hopefully i'll still be sore tomorrow etc.

--------

14-Sep-2006: Workout - upperbody, back, shoulders, arms (no chest or traps).

felt a little bit pumped today, except for chest and traps, so when I got home I took a lil video so I can benchmark my progress. I've only lost 4kg of (hopefully) fat over the past 2-3 months or so.

My goal is to get down to around 82 or 80kg by the end of Sep.... but it looks like its going to be end of Oct now :lol:

anyway, the definition is "starting" to come through slowly. Still a lot of lard to get rid of. I hope to look a lot more defined after I shed away another 4kg of fat. buoy @ 80kg should have a few more cuts etc... prolly no abs yet but at least a thinner midsection :lol:

fark, now if by the end of oct (my birthday) i can get noticeably leaner it'll be sweet for summer. then the plan is in jan to start a huge bulking cycle again. aim for 85kg lean approx the same time next year. fingers x'd.

#4 Confusion

• Car:97 180SX Type-X

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

Geees your a big unit LOL, lose another 5kg body fat and you will be loving it

#5 180_mph

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

I dont understand how a person your size can weigh 84kg's?
If i was to guess your weight without knowing it would def. be above 100kg's

Are you a midget?

#6 adamjk

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

i concur, you look ALOT heavier then 84kgs in that clip, my guess would have been somewhere between 95-100kg too, but i spose its hard to tell unless see full body, and 170cm is pretty short so i spose it all equates

whats ur current bf% now?

if u wanna get to 10% what do you estimate your weight should be at? something low 70's?

keep at it mate and you will get there

Edited by adamjk, 15 September 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#7 Escobar

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

far out!!! im 80 and i look small compared to that!

#8 m&m

• Car:Silver Evo 7

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Great job bulking Buoy,dont stop till you hit 100kg,plenty of time for getting lean when they bury us lol

I'll race you to 110kg.

#9 buoy

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

I'm short and my legs aren't as developed size-wise. That is perhaps where the missing 6kg or so is. lol. 3kg per leg :lol:

One of my cousins who is a builder/craftsman. Same height. Just through his job he is a stout 93kg.

As for the bulking in january, I'm going to be now "using" the building up of my legs to make my upper half bigger.... that is why I've been doing legs at the start of the week, then while they are sore, I do the upper body in 2 sessions. The endocrine release of the legs boosts the repair of the upper body even more than if you just trained the upper body and your appetite is very strong (remembering: squats makes you grow ALL OVER :) ). It looks promising.... I will see with a few more months training in this way how successful it is.

180mph: 100kg :lol: thanks dude. compliment!

adamjk: I dont know how much I'd weigh at 10% bf. Not sure if it would be low 70s --- but I do have another friend who is super cut (but "on" roids) but fffark! he's about 74kg, ripped to shreds and he looks wayyy bigger than me. he's a little taller than me, so prolly about 5'8 so not sure on the whole thing. I dont want to get ripped to shreds, so I think if I can get down to 78kg it would looks sveeeeet.*

edit: make that 80kg.

#10 m&m

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that muscle has about twice the density of adipose tissue (fat).If you were to fill 2 containers,one with fat and the other with muscle,the one filled with muscle will weigh twice as much,or to get the equivalent weight with fat you would need a container twice the size.
When Buoy cuts up he will look better,but the reason he looks a lot heavier than he is is due to the fact that fat takes up twice the size of muscle.Make no mistake,this is the quickest and most effective way to build muscle,its just that not many can handle carrying more fat and having there muscles covered up.
If Buoy was in a relationship and didnt have to go whoring around,he would be better suited to keep on bulking for another 10kg,cause to achieve 10% bodyfat he will most likely have to reduce to 75kg,and thats not a heavy bodyweight for someone with the years of training that he has,although he will definitely look better to the ladies.
Good luck on your quest Buoy and I hope you get everything you want.

#11 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

View Postadamjk, on Sep 15 2006, 07:11 PM, said:

i concur, you look ALOT heavier then 84kgs in that clip, my guess would have been somewhere between 95-100kg too, but i spose its hard to tell unless see full body, and 170cm is pretty short so i spose it all equates

whats ur current bf% now?

if u wanna get to 10% what do you estimate your weight should be at? something low 70's?

keep at it mate and you will get there
i'm 170cm tall and weigh 57kg, i thought 70kg as a bulkign goal for me, woudl be big lol... but fark 84kg and u want to get to 100/110 :blink: ....is it healthy?!?!?!

i spose when i get to 70 i'll aim for 80 and so on but yerr, was almost unfathamable to me but now that i've seen proof...my god...:blink:

#12 buoy

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostGHOSTrun, on Sep 15 2006, 11:05 PM, said:

i'm 170cm tall and weigh 57kg, i thought 70kg as a bulkign goal for me, woudl be big lol...
When I started I was 52 or 54kg too :lol:. Just imagine yourself with 25kg more muscle on your frame :lol: I can see how that could be hard to imagine. That's like over 50 pounds of weight gain right there lol!

As for getting down to 75kg, I dont think I want to get that ripped! The reason I am aiming for 80kg is as follows:
At 88kg I was around 19% bodyfat.

88kg x 0.19 = 16.72kg of fat, roughly.

To get down to 10% bodyfat, I'd want to lose around 88kg x 0.09 = 7.92kg or around 8kg

So at 80kg if I am able to mostly lose fat (which only really happens very slowly, thus such a pain in the butt!) I should be 10% bf at 80kg. At 75kg I'd be around 4% bodyfat - NOT 10%. I will be 10% at 80kg. 4% BF UGH! I'd die!

Naah I want some "dips" inbetween my muscles! if you look at that last shot of my arm pose in the vid, my arm is just like a tree trunk! :blink: you can't even see the bicep, its just a little undulation. Earlier this year I was 88kg and close to 20% bodyfat. My face was round and chubby at that weight. Now at 83/84 my face has thinned out so I know that I have gotten rid of a lot of fat and retained a lot of muscle. I went heavy last week on the upper body and I could do everything I did before. My arms were a half inch bigger back then, but it was all flab! I want a bit more definition for this summer. That is my main priority for the short term. But definitely my 1 year goal is 85kg at around 10% bf...

........ unless I take a "short cut" *wink* in which case I'll post up a buoy @ 95kg a few months later :lol: bah.. I dunno. Lemme stick to the current goal. 80kg by end of oct. :thumbsup:

#13 m&m

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Buoy,I have never really got involved much in bodyfat testing,I have always used the mirror/tape/scales system.I am curious as to what you used because I see numbers thrown up in magazines/forums/gyms etc.
I know with skinfold calipers you can quote skinfolds,as AFL footballers use,they never quote bodyfat %,just skin folds.Those scales that quote bodyfat% arent accurate either because a glass of water changes the reading,how hydrated you are affects the result.

I'm curious because at 98kg at 178cm I always assumed I was over 20%,but I am much much harder than you appear in the video,you can see the top 2 rows of my abs in the morning, and veins in my biceps and delts are constantly visible.I'd love to do the test you do so I can get a better idea as I feel this is an area that I am clueless about.

I am in no way disputing your figures,I have never disputed anybodys bodyfat % because I simply dont know,its not something I have an interest in.It doesnt matter what the figure is,the mirror doesnt lie.

Your help,or anybodys,pointing me in the right direction as to where you guys get tested will be appreciated.

Knowledge is power.

ps Keep bulking ;) You look good big. :yes:

#14 180GO

Gold Coast, biggest dlck head city in Queensland!

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Car:180sx (A cool one, cooler than yours)

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hey M&M I use the electronic scale with the fat tester in them. My dad gets regular body composition test from his doctor/nutritionist and the electronic scale was exactly the same.

#15 buoy

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:50 PM

hey m&m sorry but i am also very limited in that area. i just had my bf percentage done with calipers at the gym.

since everyone body is different, people get fat distributed in different areas of their body etc, i dont know if the top 2 abs showing means you got more/less bodyfat - but i dont think it matters, the fact that you can see the top 2 rows of abs is good enuf for me to say that you have less visible fat, and thats all that really counts :lol: - still, sounds to me form what you described you must be a lot lower than 20%. i was 20% and a chubby tub. now i'm around 14% bodyfat. You would be lower than that.

i hope i'm one of the lucky ones that gets some ab action with 10% bf. some are lucky, some aren't. *sigh*

180GO: electronic scale is bollocks when talking about bodybuilders cos their composition is skewed away from "normal" quite heavily. there was a funny moment in Dennis Jame's video: "The way I do it" - when he uses an electronic scale and it tells him he's 20-something bodyfat and he's ripped to shreds. he laughs at it and they make fun of the scale. lol.

Here's a vid of the scene I described.

Dennis James vs the scales! :lol:

#16 m&m

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

View Post180GO, on Sep 16 2006, 02:44 AM, said:

Hey M&M I use the electronic scale with the fat tester in them. My dad gets regular body composition test from his doctor/nutritionist and the electronic scale was exactly the same.

Yeah but what is the body composition test your dads Doctor performs????

Sorry,those scales are dreadful,as Buoy pointed out.

I suppose tape/scales/mirror combination is still best at the moment.

#17 adamjk

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

correct me if im wrong but i always thought that on average that for

14% you should be looking slightly bulky whilst still having good overall shape, feint ab's outline
12% u would see ab's appearing more startting to get cuts
10% ab's like a mofo, looking mega lean
5-8% is only if ur pro comp and not letting your body retain water, getting onion skin and striations

#18 adamjk

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

hehe that dude is a pisser, funnily enough i have the same shit ahppen to me on my friends scales, they are really a poor gauge to go by

#19 180GO

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

There are better models that have athlete settings. That look like a basic older model which uses older technology.

The scales must be pretty good at guessing when they continually get the same results my dad does from the doctor. Not just close but exactly the same. Whether or not they're any good and it's purely a fluke I don't know. At the start of the year I was 8% and since I have been lifting heavy I have moved up to 14%(2 months ago). Have put on a little bit around stomach but still nowhere near fat. I will check again later tonight to see where it's at.

WHO guidelines say 8-20% body fat is healthy for 18-39year olds

The Tanita Body Fat Monitor does not measure body fat directly. The only two values measured directly are weight and impedance; % body fat is calculated using an equation based on these and other values such as height, gender, activity level etc. Impedance is measured by sending a low, safe electrical signal through the body, and can be described as a measurement of the strength and speed of that signal. Because muscle tissue has a high water and electrolyte content, the electrical signal passes through with ease. However, when the signal encounters fat mass, it must work harder to pass through because fat contains only a small percentage of water.

Men, women and children have differing bone structures, and different ways of depositing fat around the body. During extensive research, Tanita found that it was necessary to develop individual equations to reflect these differences. In a similar way, research showed that a further equation was necessary to maintain accuracy in the elite athletic population to address a change in water to muscle ratio seen in athletes who exercise at intensive rates over long periods of time.

Since the equations have been developed to give different results to reflect a person's body type, if you use the wrong equation, you will get a wrong result. This is similar to "cheating" the scales by holding weights, or holding on to something to get a lighter weight - an interesting experiment, but an invalid result.

The points below will categorise whether you should use ATHLETE mode or not:

People who do large amounts of aerobic exercise will have different body types to those who don't. Their hydration levels will be different, and the composition of their muscle tissue may differ too. If such individuals use the Standard TANITA Body Fat Monitor, their reading may well be overestimated. The Athlete mode in several models of the TANITA Body Fat Monitor takes into account these differences to give a more accurate measurement of body fat % in such individuals.

People often ask - "Am I an athlete?" The answer is that there is no exact point at which a person becomes an athlete. As a guide, if someone is doing more than 10 hours a week vigorous exercise, and has a resting heart rate of under 60 beats a minute they should use the Athlete mode. The same could apply to a person who is currently doing less exercise, but who has had a "lifetime of fitness" (e.g., an ex international rugby player.)

And just incase anyone was wondering:

Q: "I have had a sex change - should I use the male or female settings?"

A: There is no definitive answer for this question. The equations used in the male and female settings are very different as men and women, on average, have different amounts of fat in their bodies.

The general rule is that you should stick to the gender setting that you were born with, as this will give the most accurate and repeatable results for your gender.

At the end of the day it's like a dyno, use the same one every time and only use it as a reference.

#20 180GO

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Just checked myself

77.5kg (don't be jealous guys)

On athlete setting i'm 13.3%

Lazy person setting 18.8%

#21 m&m

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

So its just a guess right,.albeit an educated one.

#22 buoy

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

I think if you just stick to the one method (eg calipers, tape, rah rah rah) you will be fine. Its just letting you know if you are getting fatter or leaner :lol: which is all i'm concerned about.

for instance, if my bodyweight goes down but my fat percentage stays the same, i'll know i'm losing muscle instead of fat :o ... so its for that reason i am interested. dont want all that hard work pissed down the drain.

who cares if you can't get an exact reading. at the end of the day its how healthy you are and how you feel and how you look and how strong you are, so the exact bodyfat percentage is of no real concern.

View Post180GO, on Sep 16 2006, 03:03 PM, said:

There are better models that have athlete settings. That look like a basic older model which uses older technology.
I took a look at the video again and 1 second BEFORE i started the clip, he does say "Athlete setting"... then he puts in his height. So it actually IS on Athlete setting! :)

EDIT: I've re-encoded the video with the first bit in there so you can see it for yourself.

#23 180GO

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Fair enough. What's with the height though it says 173cm = 6'8"

Don't worry they mean 5'8"

#24 buoy

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

16-Sep-2006: Saturday night workout @ home - fat burn / cardio: hip hop video

even lifting my legs in time with the music (popping/locking them to look good) is a damn struggle against the laws of physics :lol: at full strain i'm barely keeping time with the other lighter dancers who do it so effortlessly :(

hip hop definitely kills cardio. hands down.

#25 180GO

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

You wouldn't say that if you done cardio with me. Stop, vomit time :lol:

#26 Confusion

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

i have been looking for a good quality version of the pop ya collar film clip for years. Anyone have it?

#27 m&m

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hey Buoy,before you assume 180GO's cardio work is weak,you best ask what he does for a living lol.

He has to do his purely cause its his job,I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its harder than dancing lol

I guess I have inside information here so making this judgement is quite easy.

cardio is always harder if it is intended to save your life lol

Hip Hop is down here (waving my hand on the floor) 180GO's "work" is up here (standing on a ladder waving hand high ).

Dont underestimate The Squirrel lol

#28 Confusion

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

i think 180 go must be a ninja

#29 180GO

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

You guys crack me up. Yeah I didn't think you were talking specifically about aerobics but activities that get you lunging. Trust me i'm not ignorant and i am aware of how hard it is. But when I know i'm going to vomit on each training session and there is nothing you can do other than train on an empty stomach, I would say my ladder is pretty high. Give me 15 minutes of my gay stuff and you will wish you were dead.

#30 buoy

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

hokay. I guess I am in no position to argue :)

m&m: you keep puttin me down :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!