Do cops give a shit if your driving manual when your license is auto? 

46 replies to this topic

#1 Ejay.B

• Car:1991 S13.5!!!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

eyy guys not sure if anyone has ever asked this before they probably have but i have a 1991 s13 onevia converted which is an sr20de auto and on my first year of green P's i was just wondering if you could get dicked for driving a manual by the cops whilst you only have an automatic license because i really wanna do a manual conversion but not sure if i should just wait it out for another 2 more years then finally get a manual conversion including a turbo'd engine... or just save up now and do the conversion

Edited by EjNizmo, 17 April 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#2 harris.

• Car:180sx SR POWWAAAHH

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

um, even when you get your opens man you will only have your auto opens.. you will need to pass a manual drivers test no matter what..

so yes, the cops do care, they will ream you for sure.

also, if you have money for a onevia and for a manual conversion, cant you just pay like the 100 bucks or whatever and get your manual licence?

#3 Veafo

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Postharris., on 17 April 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

um, even when you get your opens man you will only have your auto opens.. you will need to pass a manual drivers test no matter what..

That definitely isn't the case for Victoria.

Also, OP: If you're so worried about driving a manual car on an auto license, just resit the license test in a manual car. Providing you pass, you get your manual license easy. It's pretty cheap too, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Veafo, 17 April 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#4 harris.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostVeafo, on 17 April 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Also, OP: If you're so worried about driving a manual car on an auto license, just resit the license test in a manual car. Providing you pass, you get your manual license easy. It's pretty cheap too, if I remember correctly.

wait, what?? so if you only get your auto licence initially you automatically get your manual licence when you get on your opens?? that doesnt sound right.. im fairly sure its not that way in QLD..

#5 professor

• Car:1991 s13

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

If this is nsw you will be fine. If you go for your reds in auto it's only your reds you have to drive auto

#6 harris.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

edit - just went on vicroads website..

A - automatic transmission

If you do your probationary licence test in a vehicle with automatic transmisson, you can only drive vehicles with automatic transmission during your probationary period. There will be an 'A' printed on your licence card.

At the end of the probationary period, you can drive vehicles with manual transmission without having to do another driving test provided the condition is not required due to a disability.

At the end of the probationary period, the A condition will be removed.

that.. is.. ridiculous..

#7 Ejay.B

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

also, if you have money for a onevia and for a manual conversion, cant you just pay like the 100 bucks or whatever and get your manual licence?

hey i don't actually have much money got my car from hard work i put my blood sweat and tears into this girl sadly someone smashed into the front of my car yesterday whilst it was parked outside my place so cant really afford much atm it was just a question.

also i don't have a manual car to practice on and as veafo stated its a different case in vic which totally bugs me.
thank you though for your contribution :)

#8 Veafo

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

View Postharris., on 17 April 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

View PostVeafo, on 17 April 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

wait, what?? so if you only get your auto licence initially you automatically get your manual licence when you get on your opens?? that doesnt sound right.. im fairly sure its not that way in QLD..

That's the way it is in Vic.

#9 harris.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostEjNizmo, on 17 April 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

hey i don't actually have much money got my car from hard work i put my blood sweat and tears into this girl sadly someone smashed into the front of my car yesterday whilst it was parked outside my place so cant really afford much atm it was just a question.

also i don't have a manual car to practice on and as veafo stated its a different case in vic which totally bugs me.
thank you though for your contribution Posted Image

well then ignore my first statement.. either way man, i would not drive your manual car on your auto licence.. insurance will not cover you if the worst happens, imagine putting someone in hospital and having to pay that off for the rest of your life..

#10 Ejay.B

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

View Postharris., on 17 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

If you do your probationary licence test in a vehicle with automatic transmisson, you can only drive vehicles with automatic transmission during your probationary period. There will be an 'A' printed on your licence card.
At the end of the probationary period, you can drive vehicles with manual transmission without having to do another driving test provided the condition is not required due to a disability.

that.. is.. ridiculous..

yeah that freaken bites thank you for that I don't get the fact why vicroads has to be so strict...

SOOOOO RIDICULOUS

#11 harris.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostEjNizmo, on 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

that.. is.. ridiculous..

yeah that freaken bites thank you for that I don't get the fact why vicroads has to be so strict...

SOOOOO RIDICULOUS

ah, soz man, im saying its ridiculous that someone that may have ZERO experience driving a manual car is automatically allowed to drive one if they manage to stay alive for three years driving an auto.. that is whats ridiculous..

#12 ziptie

• Car:sil80 + a few

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

its an impoundable offense now since the new laws as its 'failing to comply with a licence condition'

well going by what smokey the residential tmu on NS says
http://hardtuned.net...dpost&p=6287110

Save the trouble and get a manual license.

Edited by ziptie, 17 April 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#13 SK!D

• Car:s13

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Postharris., on 17 April 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostEjNizmo, on 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

that.. is.. ridiculous..

SOOOOO RIDICULOUS

ah, soz man, im saying its ridiculous that someone that may have ZERO experience driving a manual car is automatically allowed to drive one if they manage to stay alive for three years driving an auto.. that is whats ridiculous..

not really, by that time they should be a relitivly good driver and all the have to learn is to how to push a pedal with there left foot, its not hard

#14 King Troll

• Car:JUN s15

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

not that simple, takes time and practice that you dont simply gain by driving an auto...what a f**king stupid law

Edited by King Troll, 17 April 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#15 SK!D

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostKing Troll, on 17 April 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

not that simple, takes time and practice that you dont simply gain by driving an auto...what a f**king stupid law
a mate of mine had only ever driven auto, he bought a manual s12, i gave him a quick leason and a week later he was driving sweet, think about it, you cant go back to L plates and if your never aloud to drive manual after getting a auto licence how do you learn how to drive a manual?

#16 omg_its_trent

• Car:R33 4door

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Just clear something up, TAC covers a person in a accident. Insurance will cover property I.e cars, power poles etc.

#17 King Troll

• Car:JUN s15

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

learn in a carpark or something, or get a manual learners, f**k i dont know, anythings better than just giving it out for free.
think about how many people will think "ahh cant be that hard", and so theyll go drive manual by themselves without anyones help.....next thing they stall it when pulling onto a busy road and panic....its a stupid law

#18 SK!D

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostKing Troll, on 17 April 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

learn in a carpark or something, or get a manual learners, f**k i dont know, anythings better than just giving it out for free.
think about how many people will think "ahh cant be that hard", and so theyll go drive manual by themselves without anyones help.....next thing they stall it when pulling onto a busy road and panic....its a stupid law

a driver driver should have enough brains to think "hey how about i try this first" and also if the go to pull out onto a busy road and stall, they will be stalled b4 the busy road, if you stall whilst your driving there is a problem with the car

#19 harris.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostSK!D, on 17 April 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

a driver driver should have enough brains to think "hey how about i try this first" and also if the go to pull out onto a busy road and stall, they will be stalled b4 the busy road, if you stall whilst your driving there is a problem with the car

honestly, can you think of ONE other situation where its up to the drivers discretion?? wearing a seatbelt, the speed they feel they should do, the amount of alcohol they can drink before they cant drive, all of those things are moderated by the government.. Imagine the anarchy if it was left upto the "drivers brains" as you put it.. Hell, your theory even works for people driving in the first place, whats the good of licences if you just get given a plastic card saying you are allowed to do something when you've never had any practice??

thats just silly..

#20 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Took me about 20 minutes to get the gear changes sweet when I was first taught to drive. Another couple of hours later and I was perfectly fine, bar the occasional crunch every now and then, which in realitly makes little or no difference.
People make manuals seem difficult, but it really isn't complicated, and it's my strong opinion that I wasn't some gearbox shifting teen prodigy.

Quality of steering input and judgement are the most important components of the driver-learning process, and you'll get them in a manual or an Auto.
Retarded hands, stupid decisions and lack of attention are the killers.

Edited by pmod, 18 April 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#21 harris.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

View Postpmod, on 18 April 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Took me about 20 minutes to get the gear changes sweet when I was first taught to drive. Another couple of hours later and I was perfectly fine, bar the occasional crunch every now and then, which in realitly makes little or no difference.
People make manuals seem difficult, but it really isn't complicated, and it's my strong opinion that I wasn't some gearbox shifting teen prodigy.

Quality of steering input and judgement are the most important components of the driver-learning process, and you'll get them in a manual or an Auto.
Retarded hands, stupid decisions and lack of attention are the killers.

i cant help but notice the few people in this thread saying they picked up manuals easily are male..

in no way am i sexist, but i have taught 3 girls to drive, all in manual cars, and all of them, were shit.. i have also been in the car with many other girls, and almost every single one, i am bracing myself with my foot against the floor for the entire drive..

have none of you guys driven with girls that are driving death wishes?? imagine if they could only drive auto, then once they got their opens their airheadedness thought, ah yep, i'll just drive my boyfriends car home or whatever..

death to all..

#22 it's.simon

• Car:Nissan 180SX SR20DET

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Gotta love SA...no Auto/Manual license. :)

However I never drove manual in my day, bought my 180SX got a friend to drive it home and I went from there. I found it easier to drive than a modern car with a weightless clutch pedal and zero noise from engine.

#23 harris.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

View Postit's.simon, on 18 April 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Gotta love SA...no Auto/Manual license. Posted Image

However I never drove manual in my day, bought my 180SX got a friend to drive it home and I went from there. I found it easier to drive than a modern car with a weightless clutch pedal and zero noise from engine.

i do agree with this however.. learning in my mums corrolla or some shit was way harder i thought than driving my gti that had a hole in the exhaust.. if i released the clutch too slow, or too quick, i knew about it, and it was rude hearing these amazing noises coming from the back of my little car..

to be honest, learning to drive a manual was easy for me too, but i to this day know many a people that drive auto's that are terrible drivers as it is, i would hate to think that they are legally allowed to operate a manual car with no prior practice..

#24 ziptie

• Car:sil80 + a few

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

harris a lot of guys i get in the car with drive up the arse of everyone and brake too late.
I dont understand what so dangerous about a manual, the worst that would happen is missing a gear, riding a clutch, stalling at the lights.. or if retarded rolling backwards on a steep hill. I think people become more complacent driving auto, just acceralte too much and brake too hard really and it gives people the false sense of being able to multi task while doing so. When i drive auto i zone out, one reason i dont use cruise control when driving the daily.

#25 keyhole150

• Car:Type X

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

View Postziptie, on 18 April 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

harris a lot of guys i get in the car with drive up the arse of everyone and brake too late.
I dont understand what so dangerous about a manual, the worst that would happen is missing a gear, riding a clutch, stalling at the lights.. or if retarded rolling backwards on a steep hill. I think people become more complacent driving auto, just acceralte too much and brake too hard really and it gives people the false sense of being able to multi task while doing so. When i drive auto i zone out, one reason i dont use cruise control when driving the daily.

I used to have to do that coming home from school when I first got my license. Before I had proper clutch control I'd just slam the accelerator down and commence tiny skids in a Kombivan. Secondly, the only near crash I had was not paying attention when driving down South to surf and I had cruise control on and started veering off the road.

Basically I mean to say "agreed"

#26 negativecamber

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

agreed, every auto driver seems to brake as late as possible compared to a manual just cruising up to the lights..

with that said, I haven't owned an auto car for 7 years and have been pulled over a fair amount of times. only twice have they picked up on the fact that i only have an auto licence and i just plead ignorance lol. one day i'll go get my manual licence but its not on my hurry list.

#27 Ryan O'Neill

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

In WA you would get rooted for that

#28 harris.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

that first part there i think relates to both guys and girls, as my girlfriend does this, my mum does this, but so do quite a few of my mates.. it stresses me out..

i think your forgetting attempting to cross a busy interesection or something, stalling it, stressing out, not being able to get the car started again because they dont have their foot on the clutch, and having someone plow into them doing 80k's an hour.. personally if i had some bitch try to cross a road in front of me but stall it and me smash into her, i would be mighty angry.. What if it was your mother, father, kids, family or some sort that were injured because someone stalled their car trying to cross a road?? that sort of shit happens ALL the time.. my missus's mum is a cop, she has many a stories of things like this..

Also i asked her whether she would ream someone that was driving a manual on an auto licence, and she said she checks everytime.. ;)

#29 rusty1

• Car:nissan 200sx S15

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Auto's are better for girls anyway, it gives them a spare hand to text, take a mobile call, put there makeup on,play with the sat nav, change the album on the Ipod or have a gasper.

Makes more sense that they stay away from manuals.

Edited by rusty1, 18 April 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#30 Dre_S13

• Car:S13 SR20DET Blacktop

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

They always care. Any excuse to book you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!