Painting inner shell of track car 

33 replies to this topic

#1 levizzle

• Car:R32 GTR, Onevia

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

I have started stripping the sound deadening out of my track car with dry ice this week. Now I need to find out what paint to use. What does everyone use to paint their floor pan and insides (usually white). Friend painted his black with this special self leveling rust resistant paint and then clear coated it, it looked nice.

#2 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

i had mine painted by a worksho, its just a normal standard white with out any gloss ( i didnt want my interior glossy )

Posted Image

#3 cazman

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

From a performance/function/cost point of view use Lizard Skin from the US.
The car will be quieter and it's ceramic content will help prevent heat coming through.

From a "looks" point of view your local powder coater will dothe job for $2-300 and the finish will be perfect and glossy in any colour they stock. Most people don't know but you can get metalic and crazy colours too.
Both options will resist any wear and tear you could throw at it.

Don't paint it white no matter how stupid you are.
On a bright day your whole interior will reflect the white onto your windows making your life harder (if it was a true race car)

look at any Japanese race car and they use greys/blues that look like shiner battleship grey.

FUNCTION over FORM for racing

#4 levizzle

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Ok cool, that lizard skin stuff looks pretty good. Do you know if it only comes in that colour? Pretty much 90% of the track cars I have seen have a white interior, just look at the post above :-) I thought it would be so you can see any cracks forming or fluid spills/leaks easier, wher as on a dark surface it would be hard to notice.

#5 liberate

• Car:S13+S15

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I had mine painted bright orange by adelaide auto body.

Looks crazy! But yet to see what it looks like in the sun yet as I havent driven it yet...

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

i used the pewter grey colour by kill rust, as its a fairly durable paint, and also as you don't have to lay down any primer you don;t have to try and paint around a cage two or three additional times. Its also light enough that and drips or spills show up but general marks and stuff don't stick out to much

#7 TRIPOD

• Car:CEFIRO, LAUREL

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

oops wasn't signed in for that one ^^^

#8 RxDrift

• Car:GZ20 Soarer

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

I did my interior a week or so ago.

I was fairly lazy and just used a basic super cheap auto spray can (4 of them), single thick coat. it came out really well! but i'm waiting to see how long it lasts.......
From this:
Posted Image

To this:
Posted Image

Edited by RxDrift, 13 December 2011 - 07:37 AM.

#9 levizzle

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

Looks good

#10 azza_turbo

• Car:s13

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

id say the less gloss the better, less reflections on the windows when your driving it. i painted the dash in my old vl gloss black (hated the light blue so much) and every time id drive it i would see the reflection of the dash on the window :doh:

#11 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:53 AM

azza_turbo, on 14 December 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

id say the less gloss the better, less reflections on the windows when your driving it. i painted the dash in my old vl gloss black (hated the light blue so much) and every time id drive it i would see the reflection of the dash on the window :doh:
Thats the exact reason why I didnt go gloss

#12 BHDave

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Avoid regular spray paint in high wear areas as it will wear through, and high temp areas as it can discolour and flake off. So basically the floor where your feet go and above the cat converter/passenger fire wall if you have gate.

the rest of the car can be done in whatever you feel like really as you won't be touching it all the time so it won't wear off.

I just painted mine in silver hammerfinsh, cage is silver spray can, top half is original gloss black. Seems to be doing ok so far and doesn't reflect enough light that i've noticed.

Posted Image

#13 SDEWYZ

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Did black in a street car.

Came out gloss but has since dulled down

Attached Files

#14 SDEWYZ

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

forgot to mention it was just done with spray cans

#15 Bloke

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

V8 Supercars, etc use a darker silver. Still bright enough to identify cracks in the chassis, but not too reflective that glare becomes an issue.

Any possible areas that may cause glare, like parts of the cage that are close to windows, are usually covered in rollcage padding, or matte black tape.

#16 liberate

• Car:S13+S15

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

here is mine, it was all done in 2 pack paint.

#17 xMKYDx

• Car:s15

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

i am immediately regretting the color scheme i chose.
but, its looks SO good....as long as you NEVER touch it.. :/
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 evocom

• Car:SR20 KE70

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

I used killrust colurbond paint for my interior. Was the first time I had sprayed anything, middle of summer 10.30pm still 35degrees and the paint dried real fast. It turned out really good though considering. I did learn that its not the best to paint in shorts and thongs though :doh:

#19 Sanouske

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

por15 is a good product to coat everything in. It stops rust but also protects the metal surfaces.

http://www.por15.com/

You can then paint over it with what ever colour you like.

Ive been seeing a few kermit the frog green inners, and it looks pretty cool. Else wise colour code it.

#20 (Locky)

• Car:kouki s14

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

did mine
roof , a pillare, floor, boot
hammer coat paint...Good stuff,used 6 cans

Posted Image

#21 SIL-514

• Car:1992 S13.4

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I used Rustkill spray cans from Mitre 10 last year. After seeing Nigels 180sx results, seemed like it was worth a try. Turned out awesome. 1 coat of primer first and 4 coats of blue and tuned out like this. Still gotta put down a clear coat though.
Posted Image
2nd or 3rd coat below. Cant remember.
Posted Image
Primer
Posted Image

Edited by SIL-514, 19 January 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#22 SK!D

• Car:s13

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

how are people findint the wear of the paint in praticular on harness bars where the belt goes over them? im about to be painting my new project track car and but havent decided whitch way to go yet, curent track car is rattle can'd with cheap paint but im not doing that again

#23 Bloke

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

(Locky), on 17 January 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

did mine
roof , a pillare, floor, boot
hammer coat paint...Good stuff,used 6 cans

Posted Image

It wont look that bright forever, Locky. I used the same stuff on a previous project. Within 6 months, it was almost grey.

#24 (Locky)

• Car:kouki s14

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Did some xhaust tips same colour. After 6 months of heat and sun went a aqua colour

Will live inside the garage most of the time now anyway

#25 Bloke

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I don't think its too resitant to heat and UVs :lol:

#26 levizzle

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Finally completed mine last week, here's how it looks.

I used Rust guard spray cans in charcoal hammered effect. Used about 10 cans.

Attached File  After2.JPG   1.61MB   7 downloads

#27 cazman

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

TP can you confirm you can clear coat an enamel paint from a spray can?
I was under the impression that it would have a reaction to the paint amd the clear dries brown/clear

#28 ZeroFallen

• Car:1989 S13 Silvia Ks

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

I painted my interior with gloss black acrylic with a clear over the top... Turned out ok... More prep work would have been better though, but I'm happy with it.

#29 sidies

• Car:s14 silvia

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Just use 2k or epoxy with a "flattener" ask at local paint shop to mix it in for you,30% Flattener for satin and 50% matt and use a scotch brite and prepsol to sand it down. It would take forever with rattle cans especially on the floor panel

Flaky paint comes from bad prep

For areas that wear ie. foot wells use some marine deck paint, it comes with a little textured roller , just mask out a patch and 100grit it and roll away . Its really durable stuff almost like gel coat.

If your roll cage is bare steel I would be going with durapox (epoxy paint) , its a self etching paint thats really durable and hard to wear through.

I've done a few and even though metallic looks cool ,if you have a older car with a few scratches etc it becomes a nightmare, first sand out the scratches ,then prime it, then sand again and your sandpaper grit suddenly goes from 280g to 600g witch in theory should take you twice as long to rub down for the bacecoat, then bacecoat then clear coat, it honestly takes 2 or 3 times longer than a straight colour.

V8 cars would be ok because they are brand new panels, scuff and paint

My 2 cents worth

#30 kiwi laurel

• Car:Nissan Laurel

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

etch primer black :thumb: lol, actually thats what i did the outside of my laurel, the inside i did flat white, came up mint

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!