Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
sr20 cast / ebay sumps - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

sr20 cast / ebay sumps

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 15 Mar 2016

Guys any success with cast sr20 baffled sumps off ebay.
heard good things.
just tossing up between brass tig version or fined cast.
Any exp good or bad from resellers appreciated.
Dave

andhey's Photo andhey 15 Mar 2016

reports of the tigged ones not being fully welded through and leaking

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 15 Mar 2016

nice mate thanks for that.
appreciate reply.

davlos's Photo davlos 15 Mar 2016

I hate sumps

Protius's Photo Protius 16 Mar 2016

Touch wood my cast alloy one is going well. I did remake the flaps though and had to helicoil the sump plug hole but stil significantly cheaper than a genuine arc/greddy.

pmod's Photo pmod 16 Mar 2016

I bought one of the Freddy oil pans eons ago, and it hasn't failed yet, although I had to bin the silly grubscrew it came with and buy a standard imperial 1/2" sump plug with a nylon crush washer (presumably metric thread is bad for the American market). More recently I had to sand the washer mating surface flat, as there was a small leak courtesy of the casting ripples on the surface, which left visible indentations on the aluminium/copper washer. Before you install one, save yourself some hassle and wet-sand flat and smooth the surface around the drain hole with 120/240 grit, and wet-sand flat and smooth the top mating surface. Confirm you have a plug with the right thread (chances are it will be imperial 1/2" like mine), then install it.

I will also point out that for a long time I thought it was weeping through the casting, which has been a topic of discussion on NS in the past, however after installing my oil cooler it seems it was a small leak from the oil pressure sensor. You might want to plug that with an NPT bung as a part of the installation, or install an oil pressure gauge sensor instead.

snowdude_r's Photo snowdude_r 16 Mar 2016

As above, running a cheapo cast eBay one on my track car, filed the sump plug surface flat and gave the baffle rivets some extra weld and fingers crossed its been good
Only issue is there's not a lot of clearance between the sump and the heavy duty whiteline swaybar I'm running, I think there's some marks in the paint on the swaybar where it's been rubbing against the fins on the sump

the situation's Photo the situation 16 Mar 2016

Bought a welded version from a local seller, had no choice but to weld it up again.....and again... fkr still weeps.
Do yourself a favour and water test it before installing. Fill it to the brim slowly ( so you dont get a misleading wet spot ) and leave it over night.

stockblues15's Photo stockblues15 16 Mar 2016

I like my Tomei stainless TIG'ed sump. Weld quality looks excellent and it doesn't leak. Although it's a bugger getting to the bolts under the sump "wings".

Noobles's Photo Noobles 16 Mar 2016

Prefer the moroso sumps, there about $350~ish

Posted Image

davlos's Photo davlos 16 Mar 2016

Except they foul on sway bar. Tomei ftw

pur40m's Photo pur40m 17 Mar 2016

Tomei copy ones leak like a sieve
Cast greddy copy ones ok
Just get a speedflow fitting for the drain plug and speedflow bung and you will never strip the thread again

Noobles's Photo Noobles 17 Mar 2016

View Postdavlos, on 16 March 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Clears swaybar for miles.

pmod's Photo pmod 17 Mar 2016

View PostNoobles, on 16 March 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Where did you get it for $350? Every local Moroso pan I've seen was $400+, same as Tomei.

davlos's Photo davlos 17 Mar 2016

View PostNoobles, on 17 March 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

What swaybar u run, couldn't push a price of paper between that and my Hardrace one

Noobles's Photo Noobles 17 Mar 2016

View Postpmod, on 17 March 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

Where did you get it for $350? Every local Moroso pan I've seen was $400+, same as Tomei.

Rocket Industries, if you go via Real Street or OSTAR motorsports, you should see it for around $270 USD

View Postdavlos, on 17 March 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostNoobles, on 17 March 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

What swaybar u run, couldn't push a price of paper between that and my Hardrace one

Whiteline 27mm front.

S15 sxytime's Photo S15 sxytime 18 Mar 2016

I have a KTS alloy sump, very happy with the quality, cheaper than a rip off Greedy and better quality than China cheap rip off shit. The casting and machining quality is very good and no problems clearing swaybars including whiteline adjustable.

S15 sxytime's Photo S15 sxytime 18 Mar 2016

Posted Image
Out of curiosity can you post a picture of the inside if that sump pan?

sc s15's Photo sc s15 18 Mar 2016

I've got a Moroso too. Good quality, won't leak. Heaps of swaybar clearance. I think mine was around $300 a few yrs ago.

They have trap doors like the cast ones, but are welded properly so they won't fall off.

Scotties15's Photo Scotties15 18 Mar 2016

View PostS15 sxytime, on 18 March 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Posted Image
Out of curiosity can you post a picture of the inside if that sump pan?

http://www.frsport.c...an_p_15262.html

googles awesome bro... pics in the link.

liambrm's Photo liambrm 19 Mar 2016

engine mounts probably play a part in how close the swaybar is to the sump too.

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 03 Mar 2017

I went an Aeroflow which seems to be a moroso copy. First one I sealed twice and leaked. I then got another to try and used 3bond 1215 and guess what....it still weaps. Thats after cleaning surfaces and leaving 24hrs, adding sealant and fitting up and leaving 48 hours and then adding oil. Just leaked out front again today.

Officially over it. Will live with it for a while. Me, my 180, my tub of spare oil, rag and degreaser ready to go after every session.

urgh.

shobotan's Photo shobotan 03 Mar 2017

^Thanks for the tip. I was about to try one of these, but now I'll pass.

ColS15's Photo ColS15 03 Mar 2017

Ive had a tight arse ebay one for a couple of years now with no problems. . I think i payed $70.
I did drill out and helicoll the sump plug thread, also hand filed the sump plug mating surface to make it smooth and flat.
A liberal dose of sealant to sump surface during install and I've never had a leak.

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 04 Mar 2017

I've tried liberal and even sealed each and every plug.
doesn't matter still leaks out the front.
I give up

S15 sxytime's Photo S15 sxytime 04 Mar 2017

Just remember if you use heaps/too much sealant, the excess that is pressed out of the joint may be dislodged and end up blocking oil lines

mighty190's Photo mighty190 04 Mar 2017

You can try roughening up the mating surfaces, if they are too smooth the sealant just basically squeezes out when they are pressed together and won't seal. Nothing excessive but if it's a bit rough it will usually help them bond

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 05 Mar 2017

good idea. It will be coming off again so I can try this. Everyone else I have spoken too with one has had no issues. I am just the gifted one with weapy oil irrational anger issues.

mighty190's Photo mighty190 05 Mar 2017

The other thing I may suggest is to try a different sealant. If you been using the same one now and it's leaked every time, it can't hurt to try something different. Permatex ultra blue has never failed me

davidg2152's Photo davidg2152 05 Mar 2017

sweet mate
the 1215 was a new one I tried and got from Japan.
I'll give that stuff a go next