Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
1996 180sx type X - Wrecking $6K - Hardtuned.net
←  Cars for Sale

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

1996 180sx type X - Wrecking $6K

PsyberWolf's Photo PsyberWolf 01 Mar 2017

Hi All,
I have crashed my beautiful type x (I'm extremely devastated.), but its way beyond repair. I know i could probably get 10K+ if i part it out, but id rather try and sell it as a whole.

I'm looking for 6K+, best offer gets it. If i can't get 6K I'm going to part it out myself.

Heres a list of what i can think of

1996 180sx type x

All parts are type x original, as its a original type x.

SR20DET (160,000KMS)
nisstune - Dyno'd and mapped to engine.
nismo 555 injectors
blacktop engine
blitz se intercooler (the one that doesn't require much front bar cutting)
stock airbox (was very hard to find!)
3.5" exhaust to 3" varex tip (remote)
factory weather shields
stock shocks/springs
type x seats/floor mats
gizzmo boost controller
turbo timer
working AC
4 stock tyres (seen in pics)
steering rack overhaul 10,000kms ago
front bonnet is a little bent.
dyno tuned approx 5000kms ago (with the injectors/intercooler/exchaust upgrade) running 13psi once mods done (stock till than).

pics http://imgur.com/a/5se1f

any other questions let me know.

NOTE : Please don't ask me for specific parts or if/when i will part it out, this post is to sell as a whole, if i part it out i will do this in my own time.

pmod's Photo pmod 02 Mar 2017

Damn, you really did a number on it. Personally, I don't think you'll struggle to get $6k for the complete wreck.

From a salvage or reshell perspective, there's at least 2k in the engine setup, 1k in the Type-X front clip (prices for genuine bars are stupid these days), 1k in the Type-X rear lights and garnish, 1k in the Type-X interior, and 1k in miscellaneous (clean hatch with a Type-X wing, rear glass, shocks, subframe, diff, taishaft, gearbox, etc).

Considering those are broad off-the-cuff prices, actual sales would probably reap plenty more.

HOWEVER

Why not just reshell your car into a clean rolling chassis??? You have a squeaky clean, complete type x with the the damage being exclusively to the chassis and one side skirt. Go find some janky complied-and-not-written-off 1996 180sx shell for a modest price (or pay more for an actual car, strip it and sell the bits you took off), strip it to a bare shell, get it sandblasted for $1500, get it painted a colour-matched oem silver for a modest price, then literally bolt everything from your wreck onto the new shell.

Wouldn't take much time to do, something I can attest to having removed and reinstalled virtually everything from my car lol.

PsyberWolf's Photo PsyberWolf 02 Mar 2017

View Postpmod, on 02 March 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Damn, you really did a number on it. Personally, I don't think you'll struggle to get $6k for the complete wreck.

From a salvage or reshell perspective, there's at least 2k in the engine setup, 1k in the Type-X front clip (prices for genuine bars are stupid these days), 1k in the Type-X rear lights and garnish, 1k in the Type-X interior, and 1k in miscellaneous (clean hatch with a Type-X wing, rear glass, shocks, subframe, diff, taishaft, gearbox, etc).

Considering those are broad off-the-cuff prices, actual sales would probably reap plenty more.

HOWEVER

Why not just reshell your car into a clean rolling chassis??? You have a squeaky clean, complete type x with the the damage being exclusively to the chassis and one side skirt. Go find some janky complied-and-not-written-off 1996 180sx shell for a modest price (or pay more for an actual car, strip it and sell the bits you took off), strip it to a bare shell, get it sandblasted for $1500, get it painted a colour-matched oem silver for a modest price, then literally bolt everything from your wreck onto the new shell.

Wouldn't take much time to do, something I can attest to having removed virtually and reinstalled everything from my car lol.

After thinking about it a bit today uno i really could do this - i honestly thought it would be a too big of a job though. e.g. would all the ABS stuff come over also?, what about the airbag?. i guess the hardest part would be finding a straight shell. finding a type-x shell would be, well i dont think thats possible. but i do really miss my type x, and i have most the parts bar once side of skirts which i could try and find. how hard would it be to rego also once its done? I'm no mechanic, is it possible for someone with a tech mind to be able to do the whole swap? i wouldnt mind having a deeper chat to you considering you've been through this.

pmod's Photo pmod 02 Mar 2017

View PostPsyberWolf, on 02 March 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

After thinking about it a bit today uno i really could do this - i honestly thought it would be a too big of a job though. e.g. would all the ABS stuff come over also?, what about the airbag?. i guess the hardest part would be finding a straight shell. finding a type-x shell would be, well i dont think thats possible. but i do really miss my type x, and i have most the parts bar once side of skirts which i could try and find. how hard would it be to rego also once its done? I'm no mechanic, is it possible for someone with a tech mind to be able to do the whole swap? i wouldnt mind having a deeper chat to you considering you've been through this.

Doesn't need to be a type x shell dude; every 180sx shell is identical. Every part from your crashed car will bolt onto any 180sx shell, and with the exception of the hatch and boot interior, an S13 shell too. Regarding your question about airbags and ABS; yes you would simply unbolt everything and bolt it all back in. Pay a shop to bleed the brakes if you cbf doing it, but otherwise it's brainlessly easy. If the shell was produced (iirc) Feb 1995 or earlier, you could ignore the airbag, as it was optional. However, it's easy to install it, just make sure you keep it upright at all times when powered and for a short time after disconnecting power, so it doesn't think there's be a roll-over.

If you want to have a chat, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to answer your questions.

The primary issue with this task is having the space to do it, as you're involving 2 cars, and time of course.

(Locky)'s Photo (Locky) 02 Mar 2017

but yeah as said abocve the park out value of 10K/6k sale value is very hopeful

Varvs's Photo Varvs 02 Mar 2017

not even talking about crash damage, but kind of worth pointing out that a 89 shell would probably have a lot more fatigue than a 96/97 shell. being driven hard on shit coilovers and nature taking its course (rust) i would be finding the youngest shell I could.

B00sted180's Photo B00sted180 03 Mar 2017

This brings a tear to my eye. I think you should reshell as well.

s15rocket's Photo s15rocket 04 Mar 2017

View PostB00sted180, on 03 March 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

This brings a tear to my eye. I think you should reshell as well.

Massive job though.

The most expensive/valuable part on these cars is actually the bodykit. A full plastic factory type x aero kit would sell for 4-5k on its own.

Personally I'd take 6k and run and put it towards a new one. If he parted it out piece by piece he could potentially make 8-9k. But it will take more time.

OP were you insured?

PsyberWolf's Photo PsyberWolf 04 Mar 2017

OP only had 3rd party :(. It was put down as my fault, which i believe is untrue and unfair (thats another story), but i didnt want to go though the whole process of dealing with lawyers and spending money and time fighting it when i could lose.
Anyway - most of you guys want me to reshell, which i think i maaayyy do. the right side kit i think will be way hard to get by itself yes. decent type-x are hard to find for a good price, last one i found that looked ok was 15K. I know this car and its engine/internals/everything was really nice, i looked after it, it would make sense to reshell i guess. I called up the last place that worked on my car and they said they can do a basic reshell for approx 2K!. which to me sound nice and cheap. i can do the internal parts, they can do and the stuff which im too scared to fuck up (like brakes, engine, suspension/diff).
hard part is is finding a decent shell. than painting it will prob be expensive too.

s15rocket's Photo s15rocket 04 Mar 2017

PsyberWolf, on 04 March 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

OP only had 3rd party Posted Image. It was put down as my fault, which i believe is untrue and unfair (thats another story), but i didnt want to go though the whole process of dealing with lawyers and spending money and time fighting it when i could lose.
Anyway - most of you guys want me to reshell, which i think i maaayyy do. the right side kit i think will be way hard to get by itself yes. decent type-x are hard to find for a good price, last one i found that looked ok was 15K. I know this car and its engine/internals/everything was really nice, i looked after it, it would make sense to reshell i guess. I called up the last place that worked on my car and they said they can do a basic reshell for approx 2K!. which to me sound nice and cheap. i can do the internal parts, they can do and the stuff which im too scared to fuck up (like brakes, engine, suspension/diff).
hard part is is finding a decent shell. than painting it will prob be expensive too.

Pity about the insurance. Next time get full comprehensive! You could of got it written it off.

Anyway finding a decent 180sx rolling shell is getting harder as well. These cars are just getting really old now and most are being tracked or at the wreckers. I never see 180sx on the road anymore. Maybe about one every few months.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Edited by s15rocket, 04 March 2017 - 02:13 PM.

SpecRS15's Photo SpecRS15 05 Mar 2017

Could this shell not be repaired? how much damage is under that door?

PsyberWolf's Photo PsyberWolf 06 Mar 2017

after talking to a few crash repairers they estimate around 11K, which is a bit much really, not matter how much i love this car.

moggys13's Photo moggys13 06 Mar 2017

I'm no mechanic but I re shelled a 180 in a few weekends it's not hard. Think of it as Lego. It all goes together real easy pick up a 180 shell and bring it back to life

pmod's Photo pmod 07 Mar 2017

View Postmoggys13, on 06 March 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

I'm no mechanic but I re shelled a 180 in a few weekends it's not hard. Think of it as Lego. It all goes together real easy pick up a 180 shell and bring it back to life

^ 100%. As long as you approach the job with an "I can do it if I take my time and think about it" attitude, it's certainly a DIY viable job.

View PostPsyberWolf, on 06 March 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

after talking to a few crash repairers they estimate around 11K, which is a bit much really, not matter how much i love this car.

If you meant to repair the crash damage, yeah, no way would I bother. A side impact will twist the chassis and it will never be the same, even after you've straightened it out. Reshell is by far the best option, and with the exception of the strip/paint of the shell, is very DIY-friendly. Even installing an engine is something a noob can do if they cough up $350 for a cheap garage jack and a 200kg hoist; it looks a lot more daunting than it actually is.

pmod's Photo pmod 07 Mar 2017

View PostPsyberWolf, on 06 March 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

I replied to your PM btw (only saw it today).