Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Cleaning S15 fuel tank - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

Cleaning S15 fuel tank

xga1's Photo xga1 15 Mar 2010

Hi Guys,

A recent fuel supply issue to my engine made me inspect my in-tank Bosch 040 fuel pump. I discovered that the in-tank hoses from the fuel pump to the fuel tank plate had severely perished and were leaking. Obviously the mechanic had used the wrong type of hose for this to occur when he installed the upgraded pump. :( I replaced the perished hoses with proper in-tank hoses. The bottom screen filter of the fuel pump was covered in black crap (most likely small rubber particles from the old hoses) and I removed it as best possible using an old brush with a bit of petrol and also fitted a new fuel filter just in case. Fuel pressure went back up to normal at idle, but after taking it for a spirited drive fuel pressure had dropped again. I removed the fuel pump once more and noticed that there was a build up of crap on the fuel pump screen filter again. I'm beginning to think that this fuel pump might be on its way out after having been subjected to the crap in the tank from the perished hoses. If I simply replace it with a brand new Bosch 040 pump, the same thing will probably happen again in a short while. So I'm thinking that I will need to remove the entire fuel tank from the S15 and give it a proper clean before fitting a new pump. Has anyone removed their fuel tank before? It looks like a lot of work. Centre exhaust has to be removed, rear subframe and diff dropped, drive shaft removed etc. The tank appears to be plastic and I cannot see any drain holes which would make life a lot easier. Can anyone offer any advice / recommendations?

Cheers

aym23q's Photo aym23q 15 Mar 2010

does the tank have a drain plug accessable from under the car?

either way its gonna be a cnt of a job

moggys13's Photo moggys13 15 Mar 2010

I duno about in s15 but it's a peice of piss to take it out of my 180. I took to the insides of mine with fuel and scoth brite to clean rust up that was a result of getting watter in my fuel

View PostAym23q, on 15 March 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

does the tank have a drain plug accessable from under the car?

either way its gonna be a cnt of a job

No, I don't believe the tank has any drain plug at all.

Agree with you regarding the type of job it's going to be.

View Postmoggys13, on 15 March 2010 - 01:58 PM, said:

I duno about in s15 but it's a peice of piss to take it out of my 180. I took to the insides of mine with fuel and scoth brite to clean rust up that was a result of getting watter in my fuel

Yeah, It looks as though S13's and 180's are a LOT easier to take out. The S14 and S15 fuel tanks go up behind the rear seats, just in front of the rear suspension. I believe the S14 and S15 tanks are completely plastic, so there won't be any issue with rust.

the only way really is to drop the tank and take it out fron under the car.
I havent had a good look at mine but im guessing alot of rear driveline components need to be moved to get to it?

View PostAym23q, on 15 March 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

the only way really is to drop the tank and take it out fron under the car.
I havent had a good look at mine but im guessing alot of rear driveline components need to be moved to get to it?

From what I have discovered.

Remove the access panel under the package tray(the hump behind the seat in the trunk).
Remove the Electrical Connectors.
Take wheels off.
Take brake calipers off and zip tie to springs. Rotors will be loose so take them off too.
Unbolt Damper from Knuckle.
Unbolt drive shaft.
Remove exhaust center section.
Put floor jack on bottom of Differential.
Unbolt Front Triangle braces and Front mounts.
Unbolt rear mounts.
Lower Sub-frame.
Remove Filler tube.
Remove Supply, Return and Evap lines at the body connectors(around the axle). Mark the lines so you know which goes were.
Remove Tank Brush Plate.
Support Tank.
Remove Straps.
Clean tank.
Repeat everything in reverse.

Sounds like an all day job. :(

fk what a mission

how much crap u reckon is in there?

u still got the standard fuel pump with the sock?
hook that up with bout 5 litres of fuel in the tank so the sock catches all the shit, then remove, clean sock, do it over and over again till the sock comes up clean ?

DV5180's Photo DV5180 15 Mar 2010

kennards hire out a wet pump which is used to remove water.

its a long shot but could you use it to suck all the fuel out from the opening where you access your fuel pump. add a little more fuel then suck it out again. repeat a few times?

Javed's Photo Javed 15 Mar 2010

View PostDV5180, on 15 March 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

its a long shot but could you use it to suck all the fuel out from the opening where you access your fuel pump. add a little more fuel then suck it out again. repeat a few times?

I'd be looking at that option personally. Then getting a shitty vacuum or something to try and suck the crud out of the bottom of the tank. Sounds like an absolute shite of a job to remove the tank.

xga1's Photo xga1 16 Mar 2010

View PostJaved, on 15 March 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostDV5180, on 15 March 2010 - 04:52 PM, said:

I'd be looking at that option personally. Then getting a shitty vacuum or something to try and suck the crud out of the bottom of the tank. Sounds like an absolute shite of a job to remove the tank.

Yeah, sounds like the best option besides removing the fuel tank. Thanks guys. See how I go.

Kreeper107's Photo Kreeper107 02 Jan 2018

Removed and replaced yesterday, would reccomend two people.

Empty the majority of the tank, we removed it half full, so doesnt have to be completely empty.

Jack up rear of car

Remove exhaust rear.

Remove rear driveshaft (connecting to diff) and hanger bearing/bush

Remove hand brake lines (release your hand brake and these lines twist and pop up much like a throttle cable) and have two nuts mounting them to the chassis.

Take off rear wheels and remove calipers (two 17mm bolts on the rear). These can just hang or cable tie them to the springs as stated earlier)

Chuck ya wheels back on, only need two or three lugs on.

Remove shock bottom bolts, tops can stay attached.

Remove electrical connectors

>Do not be under the car at this point<

Put a jack under the diff if you have one extra, otherwise the wheels will catch it (not the best method)

Remove front subframe brackets (3 bolts)

Remove rear subframe bolts (2)

Lower subframe and roll away.

Leave tank attached.

Return hose is located just behind drivers side rear wheel well, itll come down from the tank and meet a hardline.

Remove filler pipe from boot access

Remove all three hoses from module (only the one with the hose clamp on it needs to be removed, but just to be safe)

Remove heat shield

Remove split pins from tank straps

The straps are very tight, the tank will drop when the second is removed.

Remove pins

Catch tank

Rub head after being hit by fuel tank

Slide the tank towards the centre of the car and remove.

The tank straps were a pain to put back on, best way is to unbolt them, put the pins in first THEN bolt the straps back