Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
S15 Burning oil tips and ideas? - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

S15 Burning oil tips and ideas?

drifts13's Photo drifts13 27 Jan 2017

Hi Evreryone
My s15 has around 180K Km on the clock and recently it is burning oli pretty badly.
a full tank of oil last around 2500KM before, my dip stick reaches the L mark.

Just wanted to get some ideas from other owners with this problem, and what they did to fix or mitigate the issue. Also is it a sign that the engine is starting to die and time for a rebuild soon?

I have no puddle of oil under the car, nor can i see any oil leak from outside.
My spark plugs have tiny bit of oil residue,
last time i took apart from intecooler , i noticed a fair but of oil, in the piping from turbo to intercooler.

Thanks in advance
Quote

adm15's Photo adm15 27 Jan 2017

That is quite bad. Is there lots of smoke coming out the exhaust? I can think of a couple of possibilities. Worn rings or damaged turbo oil seals. I would recommend doing a compression test on the engine as a starting point, followed by a leak down test. If it is very low then an engine rebuild will be required. If compression is ok then you can start looking elsewhere, most probably at the turbo. Do a comp test and report back. Cheers.
Quote

drifts13's Photo drifts13 27 Jan 2017

View Postadm15, on 27 January 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

That is quite bad. Is there lots of smoke coming out the exhaust? I can think of a couple of possibilities. Worn rings or damaged turbo oil seals. I would recommend doing a compression test on the engine as a starting point, followed by a leak down test. If it is very low then an engine rebuild will be required. If compression is ok then you can start looking elsewhere, most probably at the turbo. Do a comp test and report back. Cheers.

Hey mate. yeh its quiet a bit. Funny thing is that the mechanically the car is perfect and never missed a beat, so its a shame that its come to this.

When i floor it, there is some black smoke, but its not that bad, ive seen alot worse lol

hopefully its the turbo and not the engine. Can i do a compression test on my own? or need to take to a workshop?
Edited by drifts13, 27 January 2017 - 01:53 PM.
Quote

adm15's Photo adm15 27 Jan 2017

You can buy a comp test gauge from supershit auto for about $40 and following some internet instructions do it yourself.
Quote

Anthony Tully's Photo Anthony Tully 28 Jan 2017

Auto Barn have one for $60, tested mine and received a glowing report of ~110psi on all 4... Not burning oil and drives fine so either gauge is stuffed or i'm in for a surprise the next couple months :) hope your results are a lil better than mine haha glhf
Quote

Scotties15's Photo Scotties15 28 Jan 2017

make sure you open the throttle body fully with your hand when doing compression test as well. otherwise will give low readout.

black smoke = running rich, excessive fuel
blue/white smoke = oil burning, and smells like, well oil burning !

another way to kinda tell, give it a bootfull then stop suddenly all with windows down, you will smell the oil burning if its burning that much.
or grab a mate to stand behind teh car while you rev it to say 6000 for a second stationary and smell for oil.
check oil under car see if its leaking.
if its coming out of a turbo seal, it will drip and burn off if on the exhaust and just drip if on compressor. you will also see this by sticking your head under the car and having a look at the underside of the turbo.
if you can smell oil only and the rest of the car is clean as a whistle for oil leaks, a compression test will probably surprise you.

also, need a catch can if your getting that much oil in your intercooler.
that indicates excessive blowby from the head. usually caused by worn rings pressurising the engine.
also replace the damn PCV, and hose. its prob cracked. and the PCV will be fucked. that will certainly help a little
Quote

adm15's Photo adm15 28 Jan 2017

View PostAnthony Tully, on 28 January 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Auto Barn have one for $60, tested mine and received a glowing report of ~110psi on all 4... Not burning oil and drives fine so either gauge is stuffed or i'm in for a surprise the next couple months :) hope your results are a lil better than mine haha glhf

Stanley comp gauge from supershit, $40. sr tested at roughly 145 psi each and rb tested at 170psi across all 6. I'd say the Stanley is reasonably accurate.
Quote

Anthony Tully's Photo Anthony Tully 29 Jan 2017

View Postadm15, on 28 January 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

View PostAnthony Tully, on 28 January 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Auto Barn have one for $60, tested mine and received a glowing report of ~110psi on all 4... Not burning oil and drives fine so either gauge is stuffed or i'm in for a surprise the next couple months Posted Image hope your results are a lil better than mine haha glhf

Stanley comp gauge from supershit, $40. sr tested at roughly 145 psi each and rb tested at 170psi across all 6. I'd say the Stanley is reasonably accurate.

Yeah this one was SP tools or something rather, might try my mates more repretable branded one soon and see if i've bought a dud :(
Quote

drifts13's Photo drifts13 30 Jan 2017

View PostScotties15, on 28 January 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

make sure you open the throttle body fully with your hand when doing compression test as well. otherwise will give low readout.

black smoke = running rich, excessive fuel
blue/white smoke = oil burning, and smells like, well oil burning !

another way to kinda tell, give it a bootfull then stop suddenly all with windows down, you will smell the oil burning if its burning that much.
or grab a mate to stand behind teh car while you rev it to say 6000 for a second stationary and smell for oil.
check oil under car see if its leaking.
if its coming out of a turbo seal, it will drip and burn off if on the exhaust and just drip if on compressor. you will also see this by sticking your head under the car and having a look at the underside of the turbo.
if you can smell oil only and the rest of the car is clean as a whistle for oil leaks, a compression test will probably surprise you.

also, need a catch can if your getting that much oil in your intercooler.
that indicates excessive blowby from the head. usually caused by worn rings pressurising the engine.
also replace the damn PCV, and hose. its prob cracked. and the PCV will be fucked. that will certainly help a little

Thanks for everyones advice - will be buying a kit and do a compression test this week!!! :)

Scotty - thanks alot. Some good advice there. What is PCV i didnt know what you mean there?
Edited by drifts13, 30 January 2017 - 10:02 AM.
Quote

Scotties15's Photo Scotties15 02 Feb 2017

your welcome. just passing on bits and pieces iv learnt from here and my own..

https://www.google.c...eI4AWEQ_AUIBigB

if your ever unsure what people mean just do a quick google search bro. silvia shits been done to death and back again lol.

PCV is 1 way valve, and check the hose for cracks. diagrams will show you wehre its located.

Taarks sells them, he is probs cheapest in aus for nissan stuff.
Quote

drifts13's Photo drifts13 03 Feb 2017

View PostScotties15, on 02 February 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

your welcome. just passing on bits and pieces iv learnt from here and my own..

https://www.google.c...eI4AWEQ_AUIBigB

if your ever unsure what people mean just do a quick google search bro. silvia shits been done to death and back again lol.

PCV is 1 way valve, and check the hose for cracks. diagrams will show you wehre its located.

Taarks sells them, he is probs cheapest in aus for nissan stuff.

cheers mate

I actually googled it after i posted, and found out what it was.

I took the PCV out of my car and checked it out. without knowing what it was, i blew into it and it seemed blocked. so i used a tool to push it in, then i was able to blow through.
Doesnt look like i need a new one, but ill keep monitoring and get the compression test done soon
Quote

Scotties15's Photo Scotties15 03 Feb 2017

its a 1 way valve. so it should only let air pass 1 way.... you may have fucked it if you blew across the closed end.
and for the sake of i dunno 40 bux? just replace it man :)

pcv wont fix anything, just help the system work a lil better thats all.

sounds good.
Quote