Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
CA18DE and CA18DET Exhaust Camshafts - Hardtuned.net

CA18DE and CA18DET Exhaust Camshafts 

CA18DE Camshafts
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoSilvia

• Car:S13

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

I have a S13 Silvia with a CA18DE. Due to a water replacement the half moon timing lug got broken in the exhaust camshaft.
I replaced the exhaust camshaft with an exhaust camshaft from a CA18DET motor.
The motor now has a nasty flat spot at 4000 rpm. The motor pulls a little sluggish up to 4000 rpm, hits the flat spot, once it gets past the flat spot it happily revs out to 7500 rpm with as much grunt as it used to.
My question is what is the difference between the NA and turbo exhaust camshaft? Is there a camshaft timing change needed?
The motor is running on the original CA18DE auto ECU, although the Silvia is now a manual.

#2 Bloke

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Check your timing marks again. Easy to get it one tooth off.

As far as I can remember, DE and DET exhaust cams are very similar in spec. Same lift and duration, but initial timing is only different by about 5deg, which would be hardly noticable.

Check your timing marks again. Easy to get it one tooth off.

As far as I can remember, DE and DET exhaust cams are very similar in spec. Same lift and duration, but initial timing is only different by about 5deg, which would be hardly noticable.

#3 Protius

• Car:S14 200SX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

So you're saying a tooth out would be noticeable but 5 degress on the cam wouldn't be? You realise 5 degrees is about as much as 1 tooth?

#4 Bloke

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

I couldn't find the specs at the time, but you're probably right.

Mine was incorrectly setup one tooth out, and it was a dog.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!