Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
CA18DE and CA18DET Exhaust Camshafts - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

CA18DE and CA18DET Exhaust Camshafts

GoSilvia's Photo GoSilvia 24 Jan 2017

I have a S13 Silvia with a CA18DE. Due to a water replacement the half moon timing lug got broken in the exhaust camshaft.
I replaced the exhaust camshaft with an exhaust camshaft from a CA18DET motor.
The motor now has a nasty flat spot at 4000 rpm. The motor pulls a little sluggish up to 4000 rpm, hits the flat spot, once it gets past the flat spot it happily revs out to 7500 rpm with as much grunt as it used to.
My question is what is the difference between the NA and turbo exhaust camshaft? Is there a camshaft timing change needed?
The motor is running on the original CA18DE auto ECU, although the Silvia is now a manual.

Bloke's Photo Bloke 15 Feb 2017

Check your timing marks again. Easy to get it one tooth off.

As far as I can remember, DE and DET exhaust cams are very similar in spec. Same lift and duration, but initial timing is only different by about 5deg, which would be hardly noticable.

Check your timing marks again. Easy to get it one tooth off.

As far as I can remember, DE and DET exhaust cams are very similar in spec. Same lift and duration, but initial timing is only different by about 5deg, which would be hardly noticable.

Protius's Photo Protius 16 Feb 2017

So you're saying a tooth out would be noticeable but 5 degress on the cam wouldn't be? You realise 5 degrees is about as much as 1 tooth?

Bloke's Photo Bloke 16 Feb 2017

I couldn't find the specs at the time, but you're probably right.

Mine was incorrectly setup one tooth out, and it was a dog.