Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
DRUMMERS! - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

DRUMMERS! 

307 replies to this topic

#61 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

http://www.roland.co...X_IT/index.html

^ I think this is the most expensive kit Roland offers, pretty bloody cool!

#62 jakez4G61

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Looks nice...haven't been much of an electric drum kit person myself...gotta love the full blown acoustic rigs. lovin my sonor 3007 too. everytime i tune it it just sounds better and better...i'll post a pic up when i get the chance

#63 darcey

• Car:1997 JZX100 Chaser

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

Cheers for the info and links BennyBear/Spazo...I have actually played one of their earlier versions of this kits (many moons ago when they first came out with mesh heads) and was pretty impressed.

As much as i would love one of these kits I just can't justify it...The electronic kit will be for home practice only and won't replace my standard kit (still using that for gigs) so I don’t really need a full blown pro electronic kit.

I also have some really good contacts at Yamaha (ie half price kits!) and was the main reason for looking at the DXplorer and DTXpress…

Thanks again

#64 jakez4G61

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

^^contacts at yamaha?!?! how much can you get a 5 piece maple absolute????

#65 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

Yeah I'm going nuts with drum gear lately...

I was trying to change my cymbals setup after a good 8-9 years of the same old and I just cracked the shits at my stands and drove up to Sydney to get whatever they had in terms of racks. I googled around for 5 mins before leaving and the Yamaha Hex rack is sexy as hell but I just couldn't be bothered waiting, not even for a curved pearl rack to come in stock @ billy hydes. Gavin Harrison uses this rack (Icon DR501) on his Sonor kit and he is a very anal perfectionist dude so couldn't really go wrong. I got 3 extra clamps and everything is good. Took me a while to figure out how to line the toms up properly... the trick is to angle the arms of toms that stick out too far so that you can get everything nice and even.

Attached Image: kitnew.jpg

I also replaced that broken china that I'd made into a stack using another broken crash and it sounds pretty nice - not exactly what I wanted in a china but it has a nice gong sorta sound. I need to place it a little better but right now I'm enjoying the rest of the setup - can't believe I left my ride in that gay fusion position for so many years when it feels so much better being low down, and moving my smaller crash closer to the center just makes it 50x more usable. I guess I'm in the process of overhauling shit because I've neglected it too long, and it's getting me back into the drums a bit. Tried the pearl demon drive double kick pedal while I was there and I loved it - I won't buy it until I've tried the axis but I doubt the axis will be better. Got some new skins too, yet to fit.

I'm also retraining my hand technique - my left hand is totally functional at speed but I use too much wrist with it and compared to my right it just looks retarted... switching to French grip so that I can only rely on fingers. Good idea?

#66 jakez4G61

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

its looking good man. try out meinl cymbals. how are the ufip cymbals going? happy with them

#67 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

The missus has bought a bass, so her kit is sitting unused at home. Decided I'm going to get some drum lessons next year & learn to play.

I'm looking forward to the challenge that i should've taken up 16 years ago.

#68 Spazo

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

^ Drums rool.

View Postjakez4G61, on 20 December 2009 - 07:54 PM, said:

its looking good man. try out meinl cymbals. how are the ufip cymbals going? happy with them

Thanks mate. I reckon Ufips are the best... this is with lots of back to back testing, I really don't understand why they're not popular.

#69 darcey

• Car:1997 JZX100 Chaser

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

View Postjakez4G61, on 14 December 2009 - 11:29 AM, said:

^^contacts at yamaha?!?! how much can you get a 5 piece maple absolute????

Sorry mate, i missed your reply....I have no idea but could ask, he was getting the electronic kits around half price...not sure if the acustic kits are the same deal

Have to agree with Spazo...Ufips are amazing cymbals and extremely strong (spun when casting) I had a full ufip setup but sold them all when i stopped playing 6 years ago :( Only reason I went with Paiste this time was local availability…ufips are hard to come by down here :(

#70 jakez4G61

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

yeh they are actually not alot of places here selling them at all.

please tell me ur contact gets half price acoustic kits...if so i'll get one from him!!!!!!!!!yamaha maple absolute ftw!!

has anyone seen anton figs new kit on the david letterman show? red and black laquer finish...its freakin sexy!!

#71 sneaky fujita

• Car:1997 Nissan 180sx TypeX

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Ok, since Spazo has posted some of his playing i'll put up a clip too. Taken from a concert entitled 'The Music Is Bond... James Bond' which featured the music associated with all the Bond films.

More clips from the same show here (all in HQ)...
http://www.youtube.c...0A206D3C0AC0175

#72 Spazo

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

That's class man. Center stage with a tux hehehe. Wicked drumming, your kit sounds and looks great too. That chick is pretty amazing as well.

Post as much as you want.

I wanna make a few more videos, still trying to decide what to cover.

#73 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostSpazo, on 23 December 2009 - 10:39 AM, said:

I wanna make a few more videos, still trying to decide what to cover.

Can I request it be something by Clutch? :lol:

#74 jakez4G61

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

woah thats tuff man. awesome gig u got there LoL and ur rig is hot as. DW's are nice as.

#75 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

Have any of you drummers in here used/tried Meinl cymbals? I was looking at their site today & am pretty keen to get some of their range for the kit i'm using - old pearl forum with a 12" Sonor snare and some shitty Paiste cymbals. It needs new hats, a new crash and a new ride but given it's the g/f's kit i'm trying to convince her to pay for them - kind of like the way i pay some shit on her car.

#76 Spazo

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

The entry level meinl's are just as bad as the entry level zildjians and what not...

I reckon the best cheap hats are Sabian B8 pro's... they're heaps raspy.

#77 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

Agreed. My B8 hats are still going strong, and I've given them a good thrashing over the years.

#78 Edd-GTR

• Car:1989 BNR32 GTR

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

View PostUmai Naa!!, on 27 December 2009 - 09:27 PM, said:

Agreed. My B8 hats are still going strong, and I've given them a good thrashing over the years.

Agreed. I've had my B8 hats and ride for 5 years and I've busted the B8 16" crash and split an 18" AA, but the hats and ride are f**king invunerable!

Also, on elec kits, I have a Roland TD-3 to practice with. It's good fun but it really doesnt compare to my acoustic kit in feel or sound. I have fun screwing around on it for an hour or so a day, but I'd much prefer to play my acoustic kit. It set me back about $2k probably 2 years ago.

#79 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

You must've bought the same B8 pack as me. My 16in crash lasted about 8 months, but yeah the hats and ride are still going strong.

Just throwing it out there, I absolutely love my Sabian AAX 16in X-plosion crash :) Bought it off Ebay unheard, and have not regretted it at all.

#80 Spazo

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hit crashes/chinas with a glancing blow and they last forever.. and try not to hit the edge much.

#81 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, I remember discussing that with you on MSN aaaaaaages ago. Have changed my setup and technique accordingly.

:kiss:

#82 jakez4G61

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

the meinl mcs are rubbish but the classics are pretty good but yes the B8 sabians are pretty nice as i had them for a short while and they can take a beating.

ur B8 16" crash lasted for 8 months? far out dude how card do you hit these things?i have some cheap german made cymbals called magic and i have them in 14" hats and 16" crash and they are what you'd expect from a $150 set of cymbals but i have had them for 7 years and they haven't got any cracks or anything bad on them. play with ur stuff properly and it tends to last longer lol.

#83 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, I was uneducated on setup and technique back then. Since taking it back up again, I've spent a lot of time fine-tuning all of that.

#84 Spazo

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

I made a new video

a bit meh.

#85 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Go the lung dart!

:P

#86 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

So...

I'm in the hunt for some new skins. Currently running a mish-mash of Remos, but I'd like try something else. Suggestions?

#87 A31Cefiro

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

My plans to obtain a kit haven't worked as I would've liked. Ages ago when my g/f moved from Adelaide to live with me she couldn't bring her kit in her car, so I went halves with her in a new Tama starter kit. Since then she's got her Pearl Forum kit over from Adelaide and had lent the Tama kit to a friend to see if they wanted to buy it. After expressing to her friend that I wanted to learn and we'd like the kit back as the friend hadn't expressed any interest in learning or buying it, the friend turns around and claims they're now interested and have bought some more stuff to go with it. *richard cranium*!!

However I did see a nice package kit today, Pearl Forum FZ Rock kit:

14" Snare (that I'd replace with a Mike Mangini signature series)
10" 12" & 13" rack toms
16" floor tom
22" kick with double kick pedal
Zildjian Planet Z Ride, Crash & Hats
all hardware, seat
White finish, black casings

Package price $1599

Here's an idea of what the kit looks like as a 5 piece
Posted Image

Seriously considering getting it as it's about $2400 worth.

#88 Spazo

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'd jump straight up to the mid range stuff if funds permit... remember you'll have them for years. I like yamaha stage customs and premier cabrias like EDDGTR has, they should be in that sorta price range. I don't really know what else is good but they're two mid-range kits that I always liked.

View PostUmai Naa!!, on 16 January 2010 - 09:48 AM, said:

I'm in the hunt for some new skins. Currently running a mish-mash of Remos, but I'd like try something else. Suggestions?

I use evans ec2 clears mate, give them a go. They have the control ring so they're easy to tune. They last me ages too, they're a thicker sorta skin but not too thick like the remo pinstripes are.

#89 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Cheers, Spaz :kiss:

#90 Edd-GTR

• Car:1989 BNR32 GTR

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yup, love my Premiers. Great shells. Stick some good heads on them and they are lovely :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!