Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Prog and rock people - Looking for feedback - Hardtuned.net

Prog and rock people - Looking for feedback 

11 replies to this topic

#1 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

I know it's a quiet forum but I know there are a few progressive/metal fans here.

Anyway I'll get to the point. I've never done this before but I want to know what people think of my new band and band name (Bubblemen). Call this market research. What do you like? What don't you like? What's missing? Be as specific as you like.

The samples posted are just rough drafts we recorded with 2 condenser mics in my practice room, we don't sound tight because we haven't rehearsed them much at this point in time.

You can be as honest as you want, I will take opinions with a grain of sand.

https://soundcloud.c...ng-3-very-rough

https://soundcloud.c...en-song-4-draft

The thick of it: I've joined and left 2 very average bands over the past 2 years or so and I only joined them really to gain experience. The experience has been fun but also a bit sobering and now that I understand that there really isn't much of a music scene (or $$$) for live bands, I just want to play in a band that I'm proud of and that's well received by the people that count. This band I think has potential in that they're pretty good musicians and smart guys but if I'm honest with myself, I don't know if what they've written so far is something people would actually want to listen to, or watch on stage. My initial reaction was that it has too many changes and some of the melodies are a bit silly (like dream theater or something) but having spent time with the music I've grown to like it so my opinion and a first time listeners opinion drift further apart as time goes on.

Thanks to anyone that answers.

Edited by Spazo, 24 January 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#2 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Do music for yourself and if other people like it then good.

Being a proggy rock/jazz thing is a bit niche regardless as it's too complicated for standard rock people but it's not heavy enough to satisfy metal dudes.

As for what it is, it's pretty good.

#3 Spazo

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'd like to do what karnivool has done. Granted most fans have no idea what's going on in certain songs, they've cleverly made odd timing groovy and likeable to Australians of all ages. I'm not saying I am only impressed by odd timing but it's new concepts that get me excited musically and I think deep down it's catching on with people that don't even play instruments or study music. I agree with what you've said. I have also watched people push ahead with projects, oblivious to the fact that they have no talent, or their band sucks, or their writing is terrible, or they aren't reaching out to anyone etc and I'd much prefer to be playing music that connects with people as well as being enjoyable for me.

#4 essonefive

• Car:Old school s13 rb25

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hey man, I'll critique as honest as I can. I've played guitar for 15yrs and was in bands and was sole songwriter in my biggest prog metal band

Def needs to get tighter, as you mentioned

Drummer needs to learn new/more fills

Condense the songs more, so that sections or phrases aren't so drawn out and long. Not every riff needs to go for four bars etc etc make the songs more random and progressive

The songs sound very 90's to me. Not sure if this is the bands objective or not? I thought I was listening to Helmet and The mark of Cain and early Tool, although I do hear Dream Theatre also

Band name is 7/10 so I think it's ok yeah

Second guitarist would suit your style, I think that second guitar as an atmospheric sound would add an effective dimension

Drummer got double kicks? Hard to hear through my phone. If not, get them. Otherwise, mic them up next time!

Edited by essonefive, 26 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#5 DannyR34

• Car:R34 GT-T

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Firstly I have no musical talent what so ever. I can mash buttons on a keyboard and strum a guitar to make vomit sounds but thats about it.
I do however listen to everything I've never been one-sided and liked a particular type of music, my fav band is muse because of how well they mix different types of music together.

I liked song 3, it sounds like something you could put behind any youtube video, its easy listening, I think alot of people would enjoy it.
song 4 sounds like something id like to hear at a pub while having a few beers.

not bad, easy to listen too. :) thumbs up !

#6 Spazo

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Danny, I'm really glad you like it.

View Postessonefive, on 26 January 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Hey man, I'll critique as honest as I can. I've played guitar for 15yrs and was in bands and was sole songwriter in my biggest prog metal band

Def needs to get tighter, as you mentioned

Drummer needs to learn new/more fills

Condense the songs more, so that sections or phrases aren't so drawn out and long. Not every riff needs to go for four bars etc etc make the songs more random and progressive

The songs sound very 90's to me. Not sure if this is the bands objective or not? I thought I was listening to Helmet and The mark of Cain and early Tool, although I do hear Dream Theatre also

Band name is 7/10 so I think it's ok yeah

Second guitarist would suit your style, I think that second guitar as an atmospheric sound would add an effective dimension

Drummer got double kicks? Hard to hear through my phone. If not, get them. Otherwise, mic them up next time!

Thanks. That's a pretty fair assessment and I can see you do have some idea.

I am the drummer and I would be interested to know what sections of the song were lacking in the fill department. Because you are right. I'm just new to the material and developing good parts takes time and I definitely want to do interesting things. There is quite a bit of double kick but you probably need to listen a bit closer. We are getting a mixer so we can run more than 2 room mics.

You're right about the influences, well, tool and dream theater, but I hear alot of lateralus and 10,000 days in his writing. I don't mind that some of the ideas sound like they're stolen, because I like that he really let those albums become him and he was able channel them. I am gently trying to push him into some modern prog and djent but it will take time before that stuff would seep into his writing, when we do write more material.

As for the structure thing.. I don't agree with you on that part but it's a subjective thing... I can see that things are a bit ''griddy'' but I think a 5 minute song should only have 3 or 4 sections and more of a dynamic range (start simple then build on ideas and dwell on them a little). And those sections should be interested enough that the listener is busy making sense of the parts, which are hopefully complex and interesting enough. I did pull him up on song structure and also noted that there aren't many half time 4/4 feels, nor are there many modern (post karnivool, meshuggah, djent) progressive ideas.

All he's said so far is that he wrote the songs with live performance in mind, as in he wanted them to be up tempo and to have alot of changes (which he thinks would be more exciting).

What do you reckon about his guitar tone? I think it sounds tinny but I won't say anything while there's higher priorities lol.

#7 essonefive

• Car:Old school s13 rb25

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yeah I think you're drumming is good man, I only listened to the songs once but I felt like even though the fills were good, seemed like they were quite similar to each other. But in saying that, I guess you don't want to be showing the whole reportoire in only one song. Thinking about it more, you guys have an Isis sound, which I absolutely love. You mentioned tool karnivool meshuggah etc you seem to have the same taste and influence as me. You should introduce your guitarist to Animals as Leaders if he already doesn't know them, I think that kind of direction is where you guys should head. His guitar tone, it's hard to judge going off the recording quality and my phone quality, but yeah it does come across tinny. What gear does he use? He should look at 7 or 8 string too, add that modern dimension. I've got an ESP stef carpenter 8 string through an Engl fireball amp. Tell your guitarist about the Axe FX unit, best thing ever. I don't have one but if I were playing in bands again I would def get one, the best tone and amp modeling out there, it's what all modern djent bands are using, including periphery.

#8 Spazo

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yeah. I take that on board and thanks for your honesty.

Agree on Animals, he's aware of them and likes them but didn't wanna come to the concert with me this weekend. I really wanna go in that direction too but you can't force someone into something like that. Am trying to plant seeds.

He's got some sort of fender amp but a whole lot of pedals, that's why I'm confused lol. I guess he likes that sound and I don't really wanna tell him how his guitar should sound. Actually had a jam with an axefx the other week and that's been recorded too https://soundcloud.c...recor/sebas-jam

Well good to see you changed your mind a bit. I think it's half decent but it's good to hear from strangers rather than friends that tell you white lies.

Edited by Spazo, 28 January 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#9 Spazo

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Re-recorded this one now that we can play it a bit more fluently. The guys wanna change the band name sadly (bubblemen was my idea).

https://soundcloud.c...en-song-3-a-bit

#10 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Nice sound man, some of it kind of reminds me of 80's polish prog rock like East and such (song 3)

Edited by HumanHefner, 14 February 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Spazo

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thanks, I think lol.

I do want to play some more modern progressive stuff.

#12 Guest_Lindajniy_*

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Prog Rock is indeed awesome, but I like few of the bands you listed. My kind of prog rock is more along the lines of Pink Floyd and Gentle Giant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!