It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

Cracked Rear Rotor Questions. 

10 replies to this topic

#1 -SYK-

• Car:S15

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

So the passenger side rear rotor has developed a crack that has progressed halfway through the radius of the rotor (from midway to external circumference). Rotor still has plenty of life (+50%) and has had only one track day (mallala) as a stressful environment; otherwise has only seen daily/epic country driving during its life.

Soooo:
A.) After careful monitoring and near brake-free driving over 150k's (country/metro combined) the crack has not progressed, the first possible day i can get it fixed would be a wednesday 3 days from now, still ok to drive (will likely need to cover another 250k's before wednesday)?

B.) Does the manufacturer bear any responsibility for what i see as a defective product? its the 3rd set i've owned and have run all the others to the end of their life without issue.

Regardless i'm going to send the product back to them for their own quality assessment. :cursing:

Edited by -SYK-, 29 January 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#2 woznoz

• Car:datsun sunny 1979

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

a) the crack wil get bigger, you wil be fine to drive the car, it will get bigger if they get really hot and after a few thous km.

B) once you mention track day they will say no, when it comes to brake pads shit ones they wont cover shit if anything goes wrong, but bendix will. dont know about rotars

#3 MidnightMods

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Cailpers are dragging. I drove on crackes dba's for a while with out any problems. Its a hair line crack correct ?

#4 -SYK-

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

yea its a hairline

i'll keep an eye on it, but i'm switching back to flats/non-slotted for the rears. The effort of getting it fixed is already more than i would like without the cost of bad value parts

i'd omit mentioning track day, but that goes against me honest streak :(

#5 turb0_pwnage

• Car:1995 180SX

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

You didn't happen to pull the handbrake up back in the pits after a few hot laps at ur trackday did you? This leaves the extremely hot pads in contact with the rotor causing cracks.

#6 MidnightMods

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

The rears are a solid thin rotor, expect them to crack like this on a track car. It is due to the massaive amount of heat and lack of air flow. Not a faulty item at all.
You will have no hope with warranty, they will be able to see the metal has reached high temps which led to the crack.

#7 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Post-SYK-, on 29 January 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

B.) Does the manufacturer bear any responsibility for what i see as a defective product? its the 3rd set i've owned and have run all the others to the end of their life without issue.

No the product has served it's intended use and purpose. The manufactures have no legal obligation, however the sellers (which might be the manufactures) could accept a warranty claim.

#8 -SYK-

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Postturb0_pwnage, on 29 January 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

You didn't happen to pull the handbrake up back in the pits after a few hot laps at ur trackday did you? This leaves the extremely hot pads in contact with the rotor causing cracks.

I Fail :ph34r:

#9 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Point proven

#10 turb0_pwnage

• Car:1995 180SX

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

View Post-SYK-, on 30 January 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

View Postturb0_pwnage, on 29 January 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

I Fail :ph34r:

ROFL. Lesson learnt then. Cool down laps + put car in gear, no hand break and u will be sweet.

#11 -SYK-

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

yea did 2 cooldown laps min after every bout
but the handbrake thing is one to know

neways, thanks for replies, car will be restored to functional as of tomorrow :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!