Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Fuel Filler Neck - Hardtuned.net

Fuel Filler Neck 

24 replies to this topic

#1 180sxnit

• Car:S15

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi Guys, Lately i have noticed a strong fuel smell in the cabin, I have tried replacing all lines, Fuel filter, The two lines that run out of the tank and still didnt fix the problem i then looked at the "fuel filler neck" the little restrictor that compliance places put in the tank...

threw searching on the forums i found posts on this but no one had any pics and in some of the threads people had asked for pics or a how to, so i did mine today and thort i would share some pics and let you know how i did it.

(very simple to do btw)

what i needed

x1 screw driver
x1 tube of sikaflex(purchased from bunnings for $26.50)
Some thinners or a cleaning agent

Step 1, Open fuel flap and remove petrol cap

Step 2, Get screw driver and there is a lip on the restrictor put it between the restrictor and the filler neck, Twist the screwdriver and work your way around till it pops out a bit,
Mine was dodgy and had old dryed up sealant so i could then pull it out with my fingers but you may need plyers and give it a gentle pull.

Step 3, Get your thinners or other cleaning agent and give the restrictor a good clean also clean around the filler neck

Step 4, Put sikaflex around the egde of the restrictor i found spreading it with your finger to be easyer

Step 5, Place the restrictor back in and gently tap it back in to place

Now all you have to do is wait for it to dry and your done

Hope this helps

Trent

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: DSC00258.JPG
  • Attached Image: DSC00259.JPG
  • Attached Image: DSC00265.JPG
  • Attached Image: DSC00264edited.jpg
  • Attached Image: DSC00267.JPG
  • Attached Image: DSC00262EDITED.jpg

#2 Dannyboi43

• Car:Nissan 180

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Im not sure we have those over here in new zealand but when the nissans get a fuel smell in the car its usualy the large rubber O ring seal for the fuel tank is not working or fitted properly, easy as going to a wreaker and getting a new one, then the smell goes!

Edited by PRYMORTAL, 25 March 2008 - 02:09 PM.

#3 180sxnit

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

yeah i have checked my o'ring in the tank as well but its fine its not stretched or perished just wanted to make up this how to :)

#4 51CAZ

• Car:180sx - FD3S S8

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thanks mate

I've always not bothered to go diggin for the fuel smell in the 180...I'll try this.

Glad u got pics too :thumbsup:

good stuff

#5 180sxnit

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

View Post51CAZ, on Mar 25 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

Thanks mate

I've always not bothered to go diggin for the fuel smell in the 180...I'll try this.

good stuff

haha yeah it was actually you that i noticed were asking for pics in a previous thread

#6 51CAZ

• Car:180sx - FD3S S8

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

View Post180sxnit, on Mar 25 2008, 02:52 PM, said:

View Post51CAZ, on Mar 25 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

Thanks mate

good stuff

haha yeah it was actually you that i noticed were asking for pics in a previous thread

:lol:

and since...I've never bothered to go back and try and fix it.

I just might now haha

#7 alienn

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

i might do this. sick of the smell

#8 Black Top

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

+1 for doing this, I used expoxy resin on mine ages ago, I cannot recommend enough!! so easy to do and say goodbye fuel smell

#9 spoofy

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

where can i buy a new restictor? my flap has gone loose and it pretty much stays open

#10 Ven3li

• Car:s13 silvia CA18DET

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

View Postspoofy, on Mar 26 2008, 12:22 PM, said:

where can i buy a new restictor? my flap has gone loose and it pretty much stays open

Any where that does ADR compliance will have them.

#11 orbitor

• Car:s13 Nissan Silvia

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

hi guys,

I have a related problem. My tank doesn't seem to seal properly, though I rarely get fuel smell in the cabin. The cap never has any pressure in it at all - you know how normally when you take off the cap it hisses a little? Nothing from mine. The other thing it does is under HARD cornering, fuel spills out of the fuel flap. Any ideas what's wrong?

#12 180sxnit

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

try doing what i have done in this guide

also have a look at the filler neck itself it may be cracked/split some people in other posts have reported such problems

#13 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

I followed all the guides on nissansilvia.com and took into account everyones thoughts.. but all were useless.

Turns out the large o-ring on top of the fuel tank, which houses the top part of the fuel pump has totally crumbled, the old owner replaced the fuel pump, but not the seal (moron).

Went to Nissan and ordered a new one, under $20.00. 10mins later, no more fuel smell and everytime I open the fuel cap its pressurised and goes pssh...

#14 180sxnit

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

could a mod possibly move this to the "technical articles" section plssss :)

#15 DVS JEZ

• Car:R32 GTR

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostJohnnilicte, on Mar 26 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

I followed all the guides on nissansilvia.com and took into account everyones thoughts.. but all were useless.

Turns out the large o-ring on top of the fuel tank, which houses the top part of the fuel pump has totally crumbled, the old owner replaced the fuel pump, but not the seal (moron).

Went to Nissan and ordered a new one, under $20.00. 10mins later, no more fuel smell and everytime I open the fuel cap its pressurised and goes pssh...

i replaced hoses all over the car trying to solve this problem and i had a new oring from when i fitted a walbro pump. couldnt fix it...till now.
im so glad i stumbled onto this article.

:)

View PostJohnnilicte, on Mar 26 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

i replaced hoses all over the car trying to solve this problem and i had a new oring from when i fitted a walbro pump. couldnt fix it...till now.
im so glad i stumbled onto this article.

:)

#16 brad_76

• Car:Green 1993 180SX SR

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

i was wondering how the sikaflex has held up against the fuel, i have this problem and a caulk of sikaflex 291 which says it's "fast curing marine adhesive /sealant and bedding compound" i cant find any info on whether it is resistant to fuel... i was also thinking of using 2 part epoxy glue. Thoughts?

#17 Dickies_

• Car:180sx Type X

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Just did this the other day to my mrs r32. fuel smell GONE! thanks mate.

#18 SPA50

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

sorry to drag out an old thread but thanks for this write up :) ive just finished and i hope its my problem :)

#19 Nissan_Gts

• Car:200SX

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

View Postspoofy, on 26 March 2008 - 10:39 AM, said:

my flap has gone loose and it pretty much stays open

that's what she said.

#20 Tidge

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

View Postbrad_76, on 21 July 2008 - 09:18 AM, said:

i was wondering how the sikaflex has held up against the fuel, i have this problem and a caulk of sikaflex 291 which says it's "fast curing marine adhesive /sealant and bedding compound" i cant find any info on whether it is resistant to fuel... i was also thinking of using 2 part epoxy glue. Thoughts?

Does anyone have an answer to this?

#21 Biggie

• Car:96' Type X

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

ive hadd silkaflex on for 2 years(i fixed the exact same issue except mine was actually spilling fuel) and no issues...

so ill say it will last you for at least 2 years? :P

#22 JMR 24

• Car:Nissan Silvia kS13

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

we use a 2 part body sealer type glue at work for hilux bonnet recalls, squirted some on a razor blade last week and let it set, had it sitting submerged in fuel for the last 6 days and it hasn't gone soft or broken down so im going to give it a run tonight. there is also some kind of sealer on the market that actually says its fuel resistant if you are worried about other kinds of sealers, im not sure how much it costs but we use it for sealing long range fuel tanks that we fit to some 4x4's

#23 Harry

• Car:S13 SR Onevia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the help, soon sorted the fumes coming through the cabin in mine. Yaya

#24 Harry

• Car:S13 SR Onevia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostNissan_Gts, on 27 April 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postspoofy, on 26 March 2008 - 10:39 AM, said:

my flap has gone loose and it pretty much stays open. Lol

that's what she said.

#25 Mickolol

• Car:Sileighty

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Mine doesn't have that restrictor thing, just an open hole when you remove petrol cap. Have never notice fuel smell in the car :/.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!