Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
SoundCloud - A music lover's dream repository? - Hardtuned.net

SoundCloud - A music lover's dream repository? 

6 replies to this topic

#1 buoy

• Car:RAV4

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've just started using SoundCloud last month and I originally just wanted to use it as a cloud-based hosting storage for my film / orchestral soundtrack clippets - but what I found was something much much more than just a storage service.

SoundCloud is full of musicians, composers, producers, pianists, guitarists, vocalists ... the list goes on. Even DJs (although the uploading of mixtapes seems to have been discouraged half way through 2012 due to legal repercussions).

The stuff on there is phenomenal. True actual gold. Since joining SoundCloud and joining some of the many Groups that piqued my interest, I've begun following some great composers and artists - Michael Maas who composed the filmscore NASA used for the International Space Station, Dmitry Noskov who composes incredible orchestral soundtracks for Russian movies, TV and film. Jason Cullimore who is a master at orchestral composition details the sound and instrument packs that he used to create the beautiful music showcased on his profile. The list goes on...

Recently I stumbled upon another composer who wanted some critique on new unfinished work. I obliged and we opened up a wonderful dialogue via PM and I got to go through - albeit briefly - some of the issues that I thought were unique to me and the way I create music. SoundCloud is a great empowering service that brings musicians and composers who would have otherwise not had the opportunity to speak or converse. It brings likeminded AND diverse musicians closer together and allows them to share ideas and musical styles and influence the direction of each other's music.

If you haven't checked out SoundCloud - perhaps now is a good time, being the beginning of the year and all. In fact, if you click on my channel you can see not only the tracks I've uploaded but those people that I follow - such a diverse range of music and styles - I've spent hours just listening and enjoying music that had me mesmerized. Truly top notch engineering, scoring, production............ and without paying a single cent.

Also, if you are an indy film producer, SoundCloud has so much gold - so much win - it's incredible. The soundtracks on here just blow me away and a lot of them are ready to be licensed. So if you are looking for top notch audio sound for your film - check out SoundCloud.

Links:

www.soundcloud.com

My Profile: www.soundcloud.com/roysherfan

Some of the music that's inspired me: www.soundcloud.com/roysherfan/likes

Some music of note:
Michael Maas - originally composed for the International Space Station https://soundcloud.c...el-maas/mem-ria

From Dmitry Noskov - Massacre
https://soundcloud.c...roject-massacre
Imagine that on your next film project eh....

#2 andyz-

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hey mate, my friend got me on to soundcloud recently and I love it! I'm no artist but love listening to independent artist music and mixes. Just followed you, love the piano rambling track!

Andy

#3 buoy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hey Andy glad you like it. Everybody seems to like that track for some reason O_o and the irony is that track was the one that took 10 minutes to do, from opening the software to recording the piece and saving the WAV/MP3.

The other pieces don't get anywhere near as much love :( for example, the track "Heroes and Legends - The Magnificent Ones" I slaved over for a week. Has strings section, brass section, woodwind... timpani and bass drums - basically a full orchestra ensemble happening - it changes it's key signature no less than 5 times within the first minute! It has allegro, ritenuto, rallentando, piano, forte... pizzicato, legato - all that jazzy orchestral stuff in there - and nobody cares lol! They still go straight to the piano rambling.

:o aah well.

#4 -fill-

• Car:180sx

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Buoy what program do you use to compose/produce?

#5 buoy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

I was put on to Ableton Live by another Producer friend of mine (except he does electro / house and set up all of these "wierd" modules and side-chain presets etc... all great for his genre and production style :lol: but I liked how Ableton worked).

I currently use Alicia's Keys, NI Kontact and NI Default patches for a lot of the brass and woodwind sections. The strings are usually handed by SOS Strings separately. Additional sounds like synthetic / human vocal choir I use some sounds from Nexus. EWQL also seems rather important and a staple in many virtual orchestras. I really want to get Action Strings plus a few other niceties that people seem to be using... so you can get the more"authentic" feel of the strumming... there is a great video of these strings in action here:

You can hear it in action in the Cloud Atlas soundtrack / trailer here:
http://www.youtube.c...C1qJS_w#t=1m57s

Track: Sonera (1:57 - 3:15)
Company: -
Album: Illusions
Composer: Thomas Bergersen
Year: 2011
Genre: Epic Drama Trailer Score

#6 -fill-

• Car:180sx

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Ahh ok. Ableton seems too confusing for me. I use Logic and Cubase but Logic has so many great engineering tools and effects that make it good for me.

#7 andyz-

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

buoy, on 06 January 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Hey Andy glad you like it. Everybody seems to like that track for some reason O_o and the irony is that track was the one that took 10 minutes to do, from opening the software to recording the piece and saving the WAV/MP3.

The other pieces don't get anywhere near as much love :( for example, the track "Heroes and Legends - The Magnificent Ones" I slaved over for a week. Has strings section, brass section, woodwind... timpani and bass drums - basically a full orchestra ensemble happening - it changes it's key signature no less than 5 times within the first minute! It has allegro, ritenuto, rallentando, piano, forte... pizzicato, legato - all that jazzy orchestral stuff in there - and nobody cares lol! They still go straight to the piano rambling.

:o aah well.

I think what draws me to it was that I've always wanted to play the piano! I do love the other ones but something about the piano rambling just gets me!
Keep up the good work!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!