Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
~~TOMK THE AMATUER DJ!~~on his way! Touche'! - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

- - - - -

~~TOMK THE AMATUER DJ!~~on his way! Touche'! 

114 replies to this topic

#31 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

[quote name='Boxhead' post='3810963' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:33 PM']DXM06 has 5 effects, EQ kills, and all the other fancy junk you would want without having all the f**k off full features of an 800 - I'm not sure what kind of Midi controls and FX modules an 800 has... theres alot. Good sound and build quality too for the DXM06. $450 brand new. Even a Numark 5000FX will do the job of an 800 (more FX and 4 channel), and thats $900

Im not dissing the DJM800. Its just way out of a newbies league. Its even out of my league. I had a DXM06 at the start, now I have a Vestax VMC004XL. The only people I know with a DJM600/700/800 are super serious and or super rich. They have more features than the DXM06 obviously, but are you really going to use em?

Please go into a DJ store and actually research properly, because if you walk in and order all that and then say you havent mixed before or researched into the products youre bound to get a few of these o_0 ones.[/quote]

oh cmon dude? why not I have the money and i want the expandability.....

B)-->
QUOTE(r b @ Dec 23 2007, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've got the money for it you should definitely go for the DJM800, theres no point buying a 2 channel mixer when in a few months you may want to add turntables or another cdj or 2 to your setup.

Buying a cheap beginners setup is a pretty stupid idea, you will end up spending more in the long run.[/quote]

Exactly what im thinking mate.... so why is everyone so against it, so what if it was my first time????? and i learnt basics.

[quote name='yipp-e' post='3811405' date='Dec 23 2007, 07:58 PM']lol, its so funny to hear noobs with pills. you wait in another couple of years when you realise how fake everyone is around you dude. The ppl you meet are all awesome when your on e. But you'll get over it and realise there is no depth to the conversation and they are all puddles(most of em) and dude c'mon? chinese laundry thats a dive.[/quote]

dude thats just generalising..... Ive met some fantastic people on and off the pills. Its just a matter of apcing yourself on them i only do bikkies maybee pfff 3-4 in one big night and then have 3-4 months worth off
if not more.
im not a big user.
and i dont condone drug use if your not feeling well.
chinese laundry wasnt the best, UNTIL THEY OPENED THE OTHER ROOM AND HAD DRUM AND BASS WITH A MC! STOMPING Out hard! hehehe

#32 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

View PostTomk, on Dec 24 2007, 08:12 PM, said:

oh cmon dude? why not I have the money and i want the expandability.....

Cos youve given me no reason make me believe you actually need that super high end gear. If you were starting out with Golf, would you spend $10k on the best Titleist or Ping gear, or spend a couple of thousand on some good medium-high quality clubs just to learn on, its not the best, but its quality nevertheless and will do everything I need?

Did you read up on the specs of a DJM800?

Will you use all of the features on it? Or even a DJM600?

Did you even take into account what I said about Pioneer headphones?

Have you even bothered to research other brands?

If expandability is a problem, buy a DXM, sell it when you want a DJM, and you would lose what, $150? I never criticised your choice of CDJ either.

You want my advice, I'm giving it to you. I cant stop you from what youre buying, nor can any DJ equipment salesperson, but you shouldnt be so stuck in your ways. I know well known successful DJs who play out on a weekly basis who have alot less of a setup than that.

#33 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 24 2007, 10:24 AM, said:

yes there is a world outside OT.
:blink: ??

#34 Fish

• Car:180 sx Stock

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Tomk, seriously you should probably listen to Boxhead. I've been dj'ing for about a year now, and I can tell you what he's been saying is 100% true. I wanted cdj's at first, but decided to get real turntables. I also bought Torq as well which allows me to use my turntables with mp3's. if you want to 'feeeeel' the music, you'll want turntables. seriously, go out and buy some str8 150's or whatever or some HTD4.5's, or even some technics 1200's if you've got the extra cash which looks like you do. okay, okay, obviously you want cdj's. get the 800's. why? because you can get them NEW for 1k each, then get a djm400 two channel mixer which has 99% of the functions of the djm800, and its a quarter of the price.

2x cdj800 mk2's = $2000
1x djm400 = $ 800
HD25 - SP's = $ 175

the sp's are a lesser model to the full things and are a LOT cheaper. look, thats everything you wanted for HALF the price. get that I tell you! OR...you could buy the 800 and the mk3's then sell them to me when you get sick of em :P

#35 jspecsilvia

• Car:Audi A4 B5

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 24 2007, 12:28 AM, said:

p.s. if you are going to be serious about it, you better be prepared to spend a shitload on legally bought MP3 / WAV files as it is very illegal to use downloaded MP3s. And be prepared to put in months and months of practice and having to listen to your favourite tracks get destroyed by your practice going wrong. This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

I haven't met one dj yet that legally buys songs apart from ones who use vinyl.

tomk, don't spend so much on your first setup.

#36 yipp-e

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

vinyl is the only way to go imo :|

#37 DJ Terence

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

View Postyipp-e, on Dec 24 2007, 07:58 AM, said:

lol, its so funny to hear noobs with pills.
:lol:

#38 Fish

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

View Postjspecsilvia, on Dec 25 2007, 02:38 AM, said:

p.s. if you are going to be serious about it, you better be prepared to spend a shitload on legally bought MP3 / WAV files as it is very illegal to use downloaded MP3s. And be prepared to put in months and months of practice and having to listen to your favourite tracks get destroyed by your practice going wrong. This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

are you joking? how do you think they get their mp3's then? illegally? well they're idiots that's all I can say. If you're gonna be performing and playing someone elses song at a club/bar whatever, then use legal music ffs. its the least you can do!

BTW, I buy my music. All of it that I mix. well, 99.9% of it.

#39 rb4door

• Car:one with 218kws atw (the old) BCNR33 V-spec (the new)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

View PostFish, on Dec 25 2007, 11:01 AM, said:

View Postjspecsilvia, on Dec 25 2007, 02:38 AM, said:

are you joking? how do you think they get their mp3's then? illegally? well they're idiots that's all I can say. If you're gonna be performing and playing someone elses song at a club/bar whatever, then use legal music ffs. its the least you can do!

BTW, I buy my music. All of it that I mix. well, 99.9% of it.

well thats a nice idea for a sugar coated fanstasy world.

In the real world, 90% of DJ's that mix from a digital medium are using music off of the net.

As Jspecsilvia said, pretty much the only bought music is vinyl.

And TomK, i'll give you your first lesson in mixing music. Its not called a "monitor" speaker, its called a foldback.

#40 Zenki Monkey

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

You're so f**ked in the head, seriosly I never got why people wrote you off but this post man..

But at the same time you remind me of my loose as mate..

Which leads me to start thinking you're alright.

#41 Fish

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Not saying you're wrong but I find it quite hard to believe that they aren't paying for their music...but the more I think about it the more I think you're right. There are a lot of scum out there, but I can tell you know that the more well known dj's are good clubs with residencies would most likely buy their music.

#42 spudnic

• Car:R32 GTR

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

if you want it, and you can afford it, and you can justify spending that much on your first rig then go for it... otherwise heed other ppls warnings and start slowly.

#43 Osiris

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

Man...you've lost your shit aye.

But anyway, about the DJing.

+1 for Boxhead he knows his shit. You dont need to go full on for your first set up. Take me for example, I was the same as you (well not exactly the same, I was into my music for a solid year before I even thought about DJing, not just after one night on pills, so I knew I was doing it for the love of hardstyle rather than to be cool or whatever.) I had mixed on a vinyl set up about 5 times and a CDJ200 setup twice in my life. I got 2xCDJ800MK2's, a DXM06 and some Sennheisser headphones for $2600. Thats probably going to do me for a long LONG time, it has all the features I will ever need. And, unless you are some sort of prodigy, this will be all you EVER need.

RE: people taking 6 months to 12 months to be able to mix properly, it took me 2.5 months from buying my set up to playing my first time out. It doesnt take that long to learn how to mix basically. However I've still got a long way to go before my mixes are perfect and I've got some more advanced shit down.

Seriously, listen to what people say man. We've been there, done that.

PS not sure about your 3 guys 1 girl "human jigsaw puzzle" that you were on about....judging by your posts I'd say you have an over-analyzing mind?

#44 Tomk

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

View PostNWS_only, on Dec 24 2007, 10:14 PM, said:

You're so f**ked in the head, seriosly I never got why people wrote you off but this post man..

But at the same time you remind me of my loose as mate..

Which leads me to start thinking you're alright.

What the hell your even worse buddy, you dont even know me in real life life and you judge me ona forum on a car site? your abit screwy mate.

Tom

View PostOsiris, on Dec 25 2007, 01:10 AM, said:

Man...you've lost your shit aye.

But anyway, about the DJing.

+1 for Boxhead he knows his shit. You dont need to go full on for your first set up. Take me for example, I was the same as you (well not exactly the same, I was into my music for a solid year before I even thought about DJing, not just after one night on pills, so I knew I was doing it for the love of hardstyle rather than to be cool or whatever.) I had mixed on a vinyl set up about 5 times and a CDJ200 setup twice in my life. I got 2xCDJ800MK2's, a DXM06 and some Sennheisser headphones for $2600. Thats probably going to do me for a long LONG time, it has all the features I will ever need. And, unless you are some sort of prodigy, this will be all you EVER need.

RE: people taking 6 months to 12 months to be able to mix properly, it took me 2.5 months from buying my set up to playing my first time out. It doesnt take that long to learn how to mix basically. However I've still got a long way to go before my mixes are perfect and I've got some more advanced shit down.

Seriously, listen to what people say man. We've been there, done that.

PS not sure about your 3 guys 1 girl "human jigsaw puzzle" that you were on about....judging by your posts I'd say you have an over-analyzing mind?

Im considering going 2 1000s and a DJM 400 mixer with some sennheisers and studio speakers (Which my dad already has some so it will save me money) well guys? thats awesome i want strong sturdy great decks and a reasonable mixer and thats it! the DJM 400. anyways I dont over analyze mate, im sure everyone does on E when there not dancing. its called tripping bro. And yes there were 3 of us guys and one chick lieing down on the floor overlapping each others bodies tripping; so what it was called:"mingn'""

Also dont be so fast to judge me I have had a keen interest in music for a longggg time I played drums in school, always loved spending my pocket money on cds and tracks, Music basically keeps me sane, and I find that electronica can really form a deep bond with the user that listens depending on how deep you want to think and ponder over stuff. Me personally? I've found my love in trance and vocal trance, abit of hardstyle, some house/dirty house. dont be so quick to judge my character online.. if you met me in real life im sure you'd form a good friendship with me, ive been told im:

Polite
Kind
Always think of others situations not just my own
generous in shouting close mates
Considerate
so on so forth, and no im not trying to big myself up But thats what I've been told, My dads a sound techo, his cousin owns KRIX SPEAKERS enterprise, So i think there is a big sound fascination in my blood, just depends how far I wish to take it, and I dont really understand why people are so quick to judge on my ideas? If you knew me im sure your mind set on my character would change, Half the time i post crap yes I admit it, Only because im bored Due to my graveyard shifts, so theres nothing else to do! And NS.com keeps me from going insane, something to interact and keep some sort of sociali status alive during my unusual Sleep cycles and hours awake.

thankyou everyone for your information thus far please keep adding your ideas please as I do take many of you seriously, and consider the majority of you to be mature minded people.

NEW SETTUP IDEA:

2X Pioneer 1000s (And im not getting anything less for them, im sorry I will take on board what you guys said! but they are great Decks with enough functionality to keep me interested and learning, as well as very busy.

1X Pioneer DJM 400 mixer (good price and once i master it I shall move on to bigger things, so yes i do see many points on the mixers)

1X senny headphones.

1X Guy with a deep love, respect and enjoyment for music, without music, and this is being serious i would honestly break down and go insane. I always have my Ipod in my ear blaring my tracks nodding my head tapping feet whenever that beautiful build up carries its way up and up carrying me with it (No im not stoned and no im not brain fried)...... thats my kind of respect for music, I dont get why im over analyzing to some people? Music is something amazing, it has the power to draw a persons mind into a certain mood and maintain it WITHOUT DRUGS. I was baught up as a young boy around instruments (mainly guitars with dad) and there was always a different style of music going at the dinner table on the Hi-Fi.

As I said guys you can think what you want to think, but MDMA only helped me awaken what I love inside that night. I met great people in the scene and used some amazing equiptment, I admit I wasnt great but it was my first go and no body is great first time around on anything, whether it be your first drive in a manual car, using a computer for the first time, riding a bike for the first time etc etc.... I just want to start really finding another hobby where i can immerse anything into it even a bad days work!, come home and channel the negative angry energy into my music, into something positive! Call me what ever you guys want to But these are my deep Beliefs. :yes:

#45 Osiris

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

I said that you were over analyzing because you say things very similar to one of my mates, especially after he started using drugs. You both have the same deep thinking, active imagination/mind so I was just venturing a guess, but once again your post kinda proved my point. PS thats not a negative thing I just know were you're coming from.

I'm not going to get into the whole drugs debate on here, but I've been around them and know what they/the people/the "scene" is like.

ANYWAY. I really dont think you need 1000's. Get a list of the features of 1000's and 800's, put them side by side and then come back and tell us why you still want the 1000's

#46 PEANUT_180

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

View PostTomk, on Dec 25 2007, 11:48 PM, said:

NEW SETTUP IDEA:

2X Pioneer 1000s (And im not getting anything less for them, im sorry I will take on board what you guys said! but they are great Decks with enough functionality to keep me interested and learning, as well as very busy.

1X Pioneer DJM 400 mixer (good price and once i master it I shall move on to bigger things, so yes i do see many points on the mixers)
Have you played on all these things that you're considering buying? I'm guessing that you haven't fromwhat you've been saying.

1. CDJ-1000's? Yeah you're never gonna need them. Buy the 800's.

2. And the mixer? Go buy a DXM06 for $400 you'll save yourself from doing some un-needed spending.

Seriously, you can either choose to spend $3000 or $6000 and either way you'll end up with quality equipment that you will suck at using for the first year.

Nobody goes out and buy David Beckham's kangaroo leather boots just because they had some fun kicking the ball around down the park, do they?

#47 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:21 AM

View PostPEANUT_180, on Dec 26 2007, 12:15 AM, said:

Nobody goes out and buy David Beckham's kangaroo leather boots just because they had some fun kicking the ball around down the park, do they?
ive seen some guy buy a $20,000+ drift car before he'd even driven a RWD car before let alone drifted before. hit a tyre wall on his first time out as well haha

#48 jspecsilvia

• Car:Audi A4 B5

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:51 AM

why bother with cdj's when you can get a real setup

Posted Image

...... :wedgie:

#49 r b

• Car:370Z, Bike: D675

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

I still think you should go with a 4 channel mixer, it saves you spending more money later on. Second hand djm600s go for pretty cheap these days, but they don't feel as solid and comfortable as the djm800, well to me at least.

Also in most club/rave environments there will be one of those 2 mixers so you may as well get comfortable using them. You could also consider the djm700, cheaper than the 800 with pretty good features, but i've never used one personally.

Edited by r b, 26 December 2007 - 08:55 AM.

#50 Boxhead

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

CDJ400s or CDJ800s will do the job Tom. As long as you get the supreme jog wheel.

Hahahh @ deep sensual thinking when it comes to music. Barf. Just play the farking tunes and enjoy yourself, its DJing, not a soul searching quest. Being one with the synths or equating a beat temp to your own heartbeat is for psytrance DJs who like their hallucionagens.

r_b: You can upgrade later. Buy a DXM06 for 400, use it for a year, then, if you expand or want club familiarity because you get to the level where you are pushing for gigs, buy a 600/700/800 and sell the DXM06 for $300. Wow, a loss of $100! Mind you in a year, your Pioneer is likely to break, cos thats what they do. Many top name DJs and ones that have been in it for a long time have started out on a DXM06. Some even still have it even after they upgraded to CDJs as you can route a CDJ and a TT to one channel through the Phono / Line In input sources. I would still have mine if it didnt shit out its right channel.

And its not hard to adapt to different mixers. I once had to play a gig using a Allen & Heath Xone 62. If you can adapt to that you can adapt to anything. Pioneer mixers are shit easy to use, all you need to do is study a picture of it so you know where everything is.

#51 PEANUT_180

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

View Postnisskid, on Dec 26 2007, 01:04 AM, said:

ive seen some guy buy a $20,000+ drift car before he'd even driven a RWD car before let alone drifted before. hit a tyre wall on his first time out as well haha

More money than sense!

#52 MeRlz

• Car:180sx Type X

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

obviously if your going 1000's make them mk3

but if you were doing it as a hobby as you stated before i would consider something cheaper

the new CDJ-400 are immaculate decks

alot cheaper and they are very good

i rate them for a hobby such as what you are interested in

as for mixer DJM-400 is good as well as the 800

#53 Scoota

• Car:2004 Silver Mitsubishi Lancer

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

View Postnisskid, on Dec 25 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

You gotta walk before you can run... Just remember that ;)

#54 Zenki Monkey

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

haha I was just messin around man, sorry if It came off the wrong way.

I have two mates who are Dj's doing pretty well for themselves too now, got one who's getting paid $200 an hour for new years.

You need to be determined, things won't happen overnight unless you know a few people who know some people.

Oh and try to focus on a single style of music, no one likes it when dj's sell out etc..

Sure branch off and try new things, but it's always good to have something that you call your own style etc..

#55 MSTRSAM

• Car:S13

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

I've been thinking lately of buying a laptop and getting some mixing programs and making music.

Wouldn't know where to start though.

#56 Fish

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

View PostNWS_only, on Dec 26 2007, 04:13 PM, said:

haha I was just messin around man, sorry if It came off the wrong way.

I have two mates who are Dj's doing pretty well for themselves too now, got one who's getting paid $200 an hour for new years.

You need to be determined, things won't happen overnight unless you know a few people who know some people.

Oh and try to focus on a single style of music, no one likes it when dj's sell out etc..

Sure branch off and try new things, but it's always good to have something that you call your own style etc..

Ba Bow, wrong answer.

I hate it when dj's stick to a single style of music. What I REALLY hate tho is when DJ's jump on the new and 'cool' thing bandwagon. For example if there's a Trance DJ who's gone totally electro-house because its mainstream nowdays. What I do like however is when A trance DJ goes into a different direction from everyone. Eg, Tydi. He was originally a trance head (and still is) but most of his sets include a lot of a trance/tech combination. He's the first dj I've seen go that way. All others tend to go from trance to house/progressive or to hard dance.

Play what sounds good my friend. Not what everyone else is playing. Unless thats what they pay you to do :P

#57 Boxhead

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

View PostFish, on Dec 26 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

I hate it when dj's stick to a single style of music.

I hate you too. :no:

We like to stick to what we know and love. If it wasnt for the particular genre or two someone like me isnt obsessed with, we wouldnt mix it. So... I dunno, f*ck you? Heh.

#58 MeRlz

• Car:180sx Type X

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

yeah exactly

how could you be a good dj mixing 2 different genres you stick to what you are good at you will get better and recognized for what you play faster

#59 Zenki Monkey

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

oh shit Fish you got burned..

TO THE CORE

See posts above this lol

#60 JoeNess

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

ahahaha fish ... you got owned mate !

"We like to stick to what we know and love." you should note that down mate and really think hard about that quote !

i play rnb only and will never change my style for anything/anyone !

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!