Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
e-Theft/Fraud - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

e-Theft/Fraud 

19 replies to this topic

#1 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Scenario
1. Seller lists item for sale on website
2. Buyer sends money via direct deposit
3. Seller never sends item, creates new alias and re-lists item on website
4. Buyer goes to Police station provides evidence and limited information on seller (full name, mobile number, bank account details); Police advise no crime committed and Buyer must seek civil action in small claims court (sue to retrieve money), but due to privacy laws Police unable to provide Buyer with Seller's address and/or DOB which is needed to properly identify Seller in order to serve notice to appear/complete small claims form etc.

Posted Image

What am I missing here? Is this a recipe to rip people off and get away with it? The above scenario happened to me in 2008 and my brain is still doing a Jackie Chan. /vent

Edited by GHOSTY, 15 December 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#2 6330

• Car:S15

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:01 AM

I just got ripped via my wtb ad for a TPS.

Seller contacts me through this site and says "Got one, send $50 and it's yours"

Nearly two weeks and no reply and no part :hammer:

Why doesn't this site link the forum member details like username when corresponding with each other? Just an email address is all I got.

#3 -Gaz-

• Car:CBR, S14

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

How did you get contacted ? I guess it wasn't thru a PM ?

#4 -Gaz-

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Ps. To OP Sending money thru direct deposit to someone who isn't a legit business is asking for trouble imo.

#5 6330

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Post-Gaz-, on 15 December 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

He said when he clicked on the "Contact seller" button it forwarded him to email me.
Mr Chris Grant c.grantjdm@gmail.com in Alice Springs.
On the mobile number #0459087398 he sent me a message to transfer the $50 into his partners account (said he couldn't access his at work)
So I transfered the money to T Gai BSB 083-832 ACC 149668180.
He said he would be posting it that day..... Hasn't answered his phone or email since.

Couldn't/shouldn't this site give me his username at least?
Normally I wouldn't be sending anyone cash in the hope I might get a part that I need.
But foolishly I was more trusting of this guy because I thought I was dealing with a member on this forum.
BTW I still need a TPS for an auto SR20det if someone has one.
How much will I freak my auto out if I just ran a manual TPS anyone know?
Cheers, Rob.

#6 Chappy

• Car:2009 V36 370GT Sedan

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

So you guys know that PayPal has been thriving for the past 10 years for this very reason right?

You could not have done business online in a worse way. If you are lucky the site that facilitated your introduction might give you the sellers details but it will still be your word against theirs.

Save yourself the stress, cut your losses and move on.

#7 -Gaz-

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

If he sent you a PM thru the site and was actually a member you would already have his username. If he somehow got your email address from your profile or the add, and just emailed you...

#8 6330

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

On my listing the "contact seller" button forwards you to email not PM.
I sold some spacers recently on here and the guy that bought those contacted me from that listing the exact same way.

Chappy I know I'm $50 lighter and don't hold any hope of anything.
My losses were cut as soon as realised what the scam was.

#9 -Gaz-

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

I just checked....if you're not signed in it does go thru email. If you are signed in and click contact seller it goes straight to PM.

So you dont need to be a member to get your email address. I would of been suspect not getting contacted thru PM.

#10 B00sted180

• Car:180SX

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've bought things from people on here. If I can arrange it I will buy the parts in person otherwise I ask if they have Paypal. If they don't have Paypal I don't buy what their selling.

#11 6330

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Post-Gaz-, on 15 December 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I just checked....if you're not signed in it does go thru email. If you are signed in and click contact seller it goes straight to PM.

So you dont need to be a member to get your email address. I would of been suspect not getting contacted thru PM.

Yeah so was I when it happend the first time.
But the guy bought the spacers from me and was happy and so was I with the sale.
Even though I didn't like not getting a PM I just assumed that's how the system worked?

This time through my loss I have learnt otherwise. :wedgie:

#12 Flying180

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Unfortunately ghosty if the police looked into every small claims case then it would completely clog up the system.

Your best bet as a buyer is to never pay for anything privately via EFT unless you're willing to lose that money and move on.
Businesses are another matter because all their contact details and registrations are public ally available and theirs ombudsman offices you can go through.

#13 180fan

• Car:Nissan Stagea RS-Four

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Maybe slightly off topic, but is there still no way to leave trader feedback on this site? Pretty much every other car forum I have been on has had some way of leaving positive or negative feedback for someone, its part of the reason I'll buy privately from people on SAU for example, you can tell pretty quickly if other people have had good or bad experiences with the seller based on the trader rating.

#14 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Strangely enough, in America this is handled pretty severely because it constitutes mail fraud/wire fraud/internet fraud.

#15 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

deal in person, in cash, or use ebay.

EFT to anyone you dont know or cant meet in person is asking for trouble.

#16 newbien

• Car:Toyota

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

paypal is all fine and well, UNTIL an item you buy can be called "custom made"...then paypal does not offer you ANY protection at all

#17 rke_011

• Car:turbo corona, rotary corolla

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

I wish I read this earlier..
I also got ripped off by Mr Chris Grant c.grantjdm@gmail.com for $220 for a MSD 6BTM that never showed up.. Same story, told me it was sent and will take 3 days (apparently works at startrack - which i believe is horse s***) but all good I payed through paypal...

If anyone gets contacted by him, ignore him..

#18 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Post6330, on 15 December 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

View Post-Gaz-, on 15 December 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

He said when he clicked on the "Contact seller" button it forwarded him to email me.
Mr Chris Grant c.grantjdm@gmail.com in Alice Springs.
On the mobile number #0459087398 he sent me a message to transfer the $50 into his partners account (said he couldn't access his at work)
So I transfered the money to T Gai BSB 083-832 ACC 149668180.
He said he would be posting it that day..... Hasn't answered his phone or email since.

Couldn't/shouldn't this site give me his username at least?
Normally I wouldn't be sending anyone cash in the hope I might get a part that I need.
But foolishly I was more trusting of this guy because I thought I was dealing with a member on this forum.
BTW I still need a TPS for an auto SR20det if someone has one.
How much will I freak my auto out if I just ran a manual TPS anyone know?
Cheers, Rob.
Assuming it's his real number, go to a dero phone box
In permi pen write "pills weed call *insert number*"

#19 SpotMan

• Car:rb20 S13 & Maverick

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

^:lol:

#20 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Fying180 - Yerp learnt my lesson from that one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!