Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Deadlifts - How to break that plateau? - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

Deadlifts - How to break that plateau? 

deadlifts plateau fitness lifting
45 replies to this topic

#31 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

^ thanks for all the comments guys!
Spent yesterday doing meal prep for the week, slowly getting back into it.. started to also pop fish oil tablets daily & multivitamins every 2nd day.

Saturday started with chest, tonight will be legs - hopefully I get back into the rhythm again!

#32 japcarcrazy

• Car:s13

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Cool, Hope your joints improve. Fish oil will help id there is a deficiency. Virgin flax oil is good also if you have concerns about mercury etc. Take some time to do some hip fexability/strength tests and medial glute strength tests as these should help identify if form or flexability is an issue for your knee pain. Bad form can be hard to rework, I had to do basically 6 months of low weight squats from bw to - 60kg (from 130kg) to correct my problems and then a further few months to get back to where I was!. Im glad I learnt from my mistake but if there is a problem you want to catch it early.

You may get more appropriate ideas from people if you say your goals also. are you doing a D/L comp?

Think about some 60% - 80% days also. this keeps your body familiar with the movements while giving time to heal

GL!

Edited by japcarcrazy, 12 August 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#33 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Oh man, Flaxseed oil is so nasty lol; prepare yourself with something really strong in flavour if you plan to try some John. I used to just have a teaspoon of the oil, since the caplets are stupidly overpriced compared to a bottle of the oil, and would have a swig of Coke as a chaser (to strip the palette of the oil) followed by a cube of chocolate/beef jerky/whatever.

I despise oily food, so for me, just consuming the oil and getting over it was the least annoying way.

Edited by pmod, 12 August 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#34 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

I sometimes put a dash of flaxseed oil in my protein shake. You don't even know it's there.

#35 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PoststeveP, on 12 August 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

I sometimes put a dash of flaxseed oil in my protein shake. You don't even know it's there.

I used to do this too!

But money hasn't been too good lately so I've been on tight arse mode with the supplements...

Hopefully my tax returns gives me some money to spend on other stuff besides my car haha

#36 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

just an update, I feel more comfortable doing 160kg - however I'm only able to get 5 reps first go, then 3 reps second go...

improvement is an improvement I guess :)

#37 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Sunday, was able to do 2x reps of 170kg :)

Edited by Johnnilicte, 27 August 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#38 japcarcrazy

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Nice work mate. keep it up!

#39 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

and bad news... somehow I hurt my back on Saturday doing a warm up set at 100kg

now I'm in mega pain, saturday arvo couldn't get off the bed without the missus helping me out.

#40 japcarcrazy

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

That sucks, sorry to hear mate.

Maybe just ease up on the dead lifts for a while. doing some lighter work in the 8-12 range can really compliment a strength program well also. Rest up a bit though, you don't want to prolong your recovery.

#41 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

might as well update my progress and also my 3 week break from the gym...

Eventually got up to 180kg deadlifts with a waist bend and wrist straps, was doing about 5 clean deadlifts without needing to bounce the weight off the ground.. however since moving & house renovations I haven't been able to hit the gym in over 3 weeks..

I'm a little sad at the moment, but tonight will be smashing up the gym again. Probably start with chest, chest exercises are my favourite and hopefully that puts me the right direction again.

#42 pmod

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

Nice work John. Injuries are such a bastard to get over, and a back injury is the worst. I've just started doing deadlifts again after hyperextending the tendon in my left knee 3 months ago.

First session was a 5x5@120kg followed by a 180/190/200kg single, alright for testing the water I guess, second session was a surprisingly casual 5x5@150kg, with a disappointing mid-way stall on a 210kg single :(. Lame. Thinking of trying a 220kg single today... see if I've still got it! Chalk only, since I have no straps at work and neither own nor have ever used a belt.

#43 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

wow good job man, you're pretty strong considering you're light.. I think you've mentioned you're around the 80kg mark

I really need to focus more on the gym, don't seem to be as motivated as I used to be several years ago. Age makes you lazy, and the bottle of wine or several beers tend to come first after work, so it doesn't leave much room for the gym.

Loaded up on carbs today, had a snack pack for lunch (poor excuse) :D

Edited by Johnnilicte, 16 March 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#44 pmod

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Thanks man. Yeah I weigh around 75.6kg; was 74kg the last time I did a 220kg dead and stalled at 234kg, but time makes fools of us all. Perhaps I'd get to 80kg if I had a real chest, but sadly my benchpress is a joke.

Just came back from the gym and although it required a bit of effort than it used to, I was able to do a lock out some 200kg singles, but again stalled attempting a 220kg. Confirmed what I had already suspected, which is that my core is too out of shape to get the hips in, chest out and lock it. I have no issues getting the weight off the floor and maintaining grip, but my deadlifting posture is not 100% (my normal posture kinda sucks too), so there's a point of transition at which I need a tad more core strength to complete.

Something to work on I guess.

#45 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Man you've got some serious strength to lift that solid weight - definitely don't want to mess with you haha..!!

First time back at the gym last night in about 3 week or so, so like I mentioned earlier - CHEST! and chest it was!
Didn't go too hard out, but definitely felt happier, hornier and more alive after my session!

Flat Bench - Dumbbells
3x 12 rep sets of 20kg
1x 8 rep set of 32kg
1x 8 rep set of 38kg
1x 5 rep set of 42kg
1x 4 rep set of 42kg (failed)

Incline Bench - Dumbbells
3x 8~10 rep sets of 30kg
1x 8 rep set of 32kg
1x 8 rep set of 34kg

Hammer Strength (Lying Down Machine)
1x 8 rep set of 30kg plates either side
1x 6rep set of 35kg plates either side
1x 8 rep set of 20kg plates either side (muscle fatigue around here)
1x 10 rep set of 20kg plates either side

Cable Machine (Upper & Lower Chest)
~6 sets of 10 reps

Cable Machine (Tricep Press using Short Rope)
~5 sets of 8~10 reps

Not sore yet, but will be tomorrow :D

#46 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

Alright, back on topic!

Hit the gym last night after a small feed of wholemeal bread, smoked salmon and random leftover vegetables.
Straight off the bat, went straight to dead lifts (I don't do any form of cardio warming up). No straps or waist belt were used, left them in my R33 which is at my partner's parent's place (doing house renovations, don't want to leave the car visible - will get stolen).

3x sets of 12~14 reps of 50kg (20kg + 15x2kg)
1x set of 12 reps 90kg
1x set of 12 reps 110kg
1x set of 8 reps 130kg
1x set of 5 reps 150kg
1x set of 2 reps 150kg (failed)
1x set of 10 reps 50kg

Followed by usual pull down, seat row business... didn't go too long either, but felt good to be back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!