Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Another 180SX pop up headlight issue post! - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

Another 180SX pop up headlight issue post...

THRILLHO's Photo THRILLHO 22 Sep 2017

Hey guys, first post after getting my first S13 and as a lot of others I've seen, my 180SX headlights don't go down.

The motors appear to be working as when I wind them manually down and press the headlight button, they flip up straight away no problem.

However, if they're wound down and I turn the headlight stalk, the lights will come on but headlights won't pop up.

Have read through a bunch of posts previous to this and have tried most things

Namely:
  • Relays - heard them all click when applying power directly to them, switched the 3 on the right relay box in all arrangements and power is getting through
  • Checked power out from male end of connector going from a engine to headlights themselves and got 12V readings. (Did this a couple of weeks ago but I'm pretty sure we checked this)
  • Headlight stalk - removed and opened up fully, cleaned contacts (even though they weren't really dirty or scored at all)
  • Headlamp timer - pulled out, opened up and checked inside. Didn't do any direct power tests to this as it seemed in brand new condition and there were so many outputs
  • Checked all fuses
  • Pressed the headlight button many times out of frustration

Any more ideas? Would I go to look at all the wiring now?

Cheers!

pur40m's Photo pur40m 22 Sep 2017

The headlight stalk between s13 to 180sx differ they may look the same and plugin but the 180sx has a extra 2 pin plug which control the pop up lights function
If not connected the lights stay up

tolkaNo's Photo tolkaNo 22 Sep 2017

Do they attempt to go down when you press the button? every couple of years one of mine doesn't go down and i have to put wd40 on one of the rods

s15rocket's Photo s15rocket 23 Sep 2017

Mine were stuck up for a while. Turns out it was just a button on the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Not sure if you pushed that? If you tried that then my best advice is to take it to an auto electrician most will take a look at it on the spot for you. They looked at mine for free and sorted it out pretty quick.

THRILLHO's Photo THRILLHO 26 Sep 2017

View Postpur40m, on 22 September 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

The headlight stalk between s13 to 180sx differ they may look the same and plugin but the 180sx has a extra 2 pin plug which control the pop up lights function If not connected the lights stay up

Interesting.. based on that I looked them up and found
180SX stalk: https://www.efisolut...tor-stalk-180sx
Silvia stalk: https://www.efisolut...cator-stalk-s13

But then comparing to videos I took when dismantling it, I see that I have that extra cord going out of mine.

However, I do remember when I was undoing stuff around the steering wheel that there was another plug that wasn't connected to anything.. maybe I'll take it apart again and try put the headlight stalk foam covered plug into that other one and see what happens

THRILLHO's Photo THRILLHO 26 Sep 2017

And yes I've pressed that headlight button to the right of the steering wheel thousands of times (I feel) and nothing works..

pmod's Photo pmod 27 Sep 2017

The headlight popup switch might not be working properly, or might not be plugged in correctly. In that case, there are 2 contacts on the plug that need to be connected in order for the lights to operate normally. I don't remember which, but a search should tell you. I had to bridge them when i repurposed that switch. Lights would go up and stay up until I put a paperclip across them, same as your problem.

Tldr; your issue entirely relates to the button on the right of the dash. Plug it in or stick some wire between the pins that normally stay closed. It probably just hasn't been plugged in though.

THRILLHO's Photo THRILLHO 07 Oct 2017

Thanks for that, it could just be the button is broken. Winding them down manualy and pressing it pops them up but not vice versa.
Which contacts would I have to cross? I didn't really understand the wiring diagram

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image
  • Attached Image

pmod's Photo pmod 09 Oct 2017

You want the two normally-closed contacts bridged, meaning pins 1 and 2 which are normally connected when "OFF".

I'm pretty sure I just ran a continuity test with a multimeter on mine, then bridged whatever two pins were connected when the switch was off. You could do the same and test the switch on/off, or take a guess and bridge what you think is right using a paper clip (namely the top row, far left, 1st and 2nd on the same row, looking at that picture with the locking tab at the top), or open up that switch and clean all the contacts. Chances are the contact connecting to the 2nd pin just needs a scuff up with some sandpaper.