180SX Type X keyless central locking not working
Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:05 PM
I've a '97 180 with the factory keyless entry which has stopped working, I'm looking for a bit of advice on what's gone wrong. I've read quite a few threads on here but most relate to the link between the two doors, not much info on the fob or this keyless system.
At the time it stopped working I was in the process of trying to program a new key fob, as far as I know I never actually got the car in to programming mode. I've changed the battery in the original fob.
Both doors still unlock and lock using the driver's side latch and the key in the door lock, and I can hear a relay activating each time the locking/unlocking occurs. I don't hear this relay when I use the fob like before.
The last few weeks the passenger door has been locking without operating the fob or the latch.
Any ideas on how this system works, is there a receiver for the fob signal somewhere in the car?
Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:53 PM
The remote for my type x works, but its range is incredibly chit. I have a feeling all of them are like this. Its just a poor design. To make my remote work I have to press the button over the drivers side bonnet where it meets the windshield (it has a new battery so its not that). So I suspect the receiver is somewhere near there (most likely under the hood), because that's the only place it will work.
Edited by s15rocket, 08 November 2017 - 09:55 PM.
Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:16 PM
Anyway, I had another go at programming the two fobs (original and new) and I got it to work.The instructions floating around on the 'net seem to be similar for most Nissans. The difference I found with my car is that it does not give any cue that the car is in programming mode. I guess the newer cars will flash hazards or unlock the doors to give you the cue.
When I tried this initially it went into to programming mode and effectively cleared the original fob because I didn't complete the process.
So you've got to program all fobs you want to use at the same time, or one after another within a certain time frame.
If anyone's interested I can write up instructions specific for s13s.
Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:16 PM
Yeah mine gives no cue either. No flash of lights or beeping sound like you get with with an s15. Its just an old an inferior system. I think i'll eventually get it replaced with a superior system and alarm which will increase the range. No idea how much it will cost though but its worth it because 'im constantly paranoid my car will get stolen when I have it parked somewhere. Its basically a sitting duck, like most cars from the 90s.
Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:40 AM
Before you commence programming make sure you have all key fobs you want to program with you in the car.
Be aware that any working fobs will be cleared once the car is in programming mode and will need to be reprogrammed along with any additional fobs.
Note that S13 Silvia & 180SX do not offer cues such as flashing lights or door locking/unlocking when entering programming mode, contrary to instructions around for newer vehicles.
- Sit in the driver’s seat and close all doors. Lock all the doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.
- Getting the car in to “Programming Mode”. To do this, insert the ignition key into the ignition cylinder and remove it fully from the ignition six times within 10 seconds. If you do it too quickly the system does not recognise it, try for around 1 input per second.
- After removing the key from the ignition on the sixth time, re insert it after a delay of 2 seconds and turn the key to the “ACC” position (not “ON” – do not start the car)
- Programming the key. Within 5 seconds, push any button only once on the key fob. The driver’s door will unlock. Note, if you push the button more than once, the procedure will not work.
Now remove the key from the ignition cylinder, open the driver’s door and the task is complete and programming mode exited.
- If you are programming additional remotes, including your original, do not open the driver’s door to finish the sequence. Instead, relock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push any button on the next remote. The driver’s door will now unlock.
- Repeat this step for each remote.
Once complete, remove key from the ignition, open the driver’s door and the task is complete and programming mode exited.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users