Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Drifting quitters - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

- - - - -

Drifting quitters 

92 replies to this topic

#31 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

you didnt even have to pull yours apart hahaha

ive replaced that hose on the side of a burnout pad in warnabool before. you just like any excuse to mess with shiz hahaha

#32 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostSpotMan, on 26 June 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Doesnt cost anything to store a car. im pissed off with mine having no motor. but at the end of the day i enjoy everything about drifting, the family its created and the general loose times that happen at the track.

Both 4x4 and drifting are expensive hobbies tho. im in the process of not spending any serious money till after japan. but thats not stoping me from spending a little each pay towards fixing my engine. So in your terms. buy a engine stand and sit down and slowly rebuild your motor.

Tbh once you've rebuilt your motor, gotten new coils theres not much else that needs to be done to the car. then you could sell it for a decent amount if needed or do a few track days.
There is nothing wrong with your engine haha

#33 SpotMan

• Car:rb20 S13 & Maverick

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostLucas., on 26 June 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostSpotMan, on 26 June 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Doesnt cost anything to store a car. im pissed off with mine having no motor. but at the end of the day i enjoy everything about drifting, the family its created and the general loose times that happen at the track.

Both 4x4 and drifting are expensive hobbies tho. im in the process of not spending any serious money till after japan. but thats not stoping me from spending a little each pay towards fixing my engine. So in your terms. buy a engine stand and sit down and slowly rebuild your motor.

Tbh once you've rebuilt your motor, gotten new coils theres not much else that needs to be done to the car. then you could sell it for a decent amount if needed or do a few track days.
There is nothing wrong with your engine haha

I know.. just an excuse to tinker with shit, maybe improve something and not do any track days to save for japan :)

View PostWPN-X7, on 26 June 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

you didnt even have to pull yours apart hahaha

ive replaced that hose on the side of a burnout pad in warnabool before. you just like any excuse to mess with shiz hahaha

You also probs had the correct sized bolt heads meaning you could get a socket onto it. Also pretty sure you have told me this story before.. i now understand which one you mean.

#34 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

haha. i had f**k all to do it. was a pain in the ass. but got it done.

RB20s are peachy to work on haha

#35 hinto2

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I got sick of Borrowing trailers, pay bulk cash on tyres and fuel, entry ect, then shit brakes, I bend shit, tbh got over cashing out. So sold up and now have a daily, I'm much more happier, can enjoy it everyday, whilst I can still do some pracs or private days If I wish without all the expenses that go with it.

#36 Laundo

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

i've never drifted but been doing club level rally for 11 years.
I've come to the point now where i no longer enjoy it.
(most of that came because i have to organise and run
events which means when you get out of the car you
don't get to calm down, its full on )

I agree that the bug never leaves you. maybe it gets replaced
by other things that take more of a priority, a House is def
one of those things.

if you honestly can not sell your car then call it a long term
project. give it two years, build up your parts, do stuff when
you have time and money. eventually you will have a chance to
use it, or want to use it.

#37 pig513

• Car:s13, r34 4 door

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just take a brake for a few months, that's what I have done then went to a practice day to watch some friends drive and now I'm more motivated than ever to get back out there!

#38 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

For all the hype and money spent leading up to it I got out to ONE track day before my car got hot and I left early. I did 2 or 3 skidpans before that.

I haven't shared this with anyone before but I remember as I was driving around the track I was thinking "this is what I've wanted for so long" but the joy just wasn't there because I'd paid so much for everything, was far away from home and I was more concerned about blowing up my car. I wasn't bad either, I think I could have been good if I committed to it (hope that doesn't sound douchey).

They want us to keep it off the streets but the streets looks a lot more attractive by the time every *milkshake* puts his hand out for fees, entry, repairs etc etc. I drifted on the streets for years but left it way to late to get into track days... It might have been different if I'd gotten into it much earlier. And I know some will have a lot of luck with their cars where others won't, I wasn't lucky.

I still have my car but since I hardly get to drive it I'm not confident trying much and I don't want any more expensive repair bills if driving it slower helps. I know that a skidpan day would refresh things.

It's just too expensive for me. I went snowboarding last week and it's the same deal. I could consider a jap drift holiday after reading this thread...

#39 SK!D

• Car:s13

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

i find that you remember the fun you have had i your car much more then you remember the money you have spent on it.
obviously when your out of cash with a broken car you loose the motivation and thats the killer, but you push though it and it all seem worth it agian.
ive had good times where i have had multiple events with no issues and ive had multiple track days in a row where every thing has gone wrong,
blew a cluch one event, next even blew a head next even spun a bigend bearing, then had a good run,
recently did a engine conversion took me 7 months due to loosing motivation, found the motivation to finish it for vicdrift round1, did the practice day and had a blast then stacked in the comp, going to be a expencive repair but so pumped to get it fixed and get back out there,
due to having a home loan i have bugger all cash to spend on the car but i find the car takes priotity just due to the fact that drifting is what keeps me happy,
just have to look at the costs as a part of being happy and not the dollar value makes it easyer for me

#40 Glynnside

• Car:RB24 180sx

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ive never finished a drift day. Ive done 4 drift days, blown turbo once, spun bottom end bearings twice. I try not to think about the money side of things. All of the stress goes away when i get behind the wheel at the track.

As everyone else has mentioned, take a break and do it slowly. Go out to track days with mates riding shotgun! Motivation will come back

#41 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

It was fun 5+ years ago when you could drive you race car on the street without too much hassle, these days it's worse than murder, pretty much killed it for me because sure you'd get to the track 5% of the time, but the other 95% of the time you'd want to drive the car on the road, and being young, who can afford to dump bulk cash on something that's only used once in a blue moon? Ended up selling all my car stuff and bought a house. Later on when I can afford to do the track thing properly (which is what I want to enjoy it) I will do it, but like others have said, too much of a headache trying to get shit towed/not owning a trailer/tow car/nowhere to keep them anyway, no garage to work on it without annoying neighbours etc., shit always breaking then not having a daily, just gets too costly, not enough reward, politics killed it, blame politics.

#42 bae51c

• Car:Nissan S15, Spec S, ADM.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Its been some 3 yrs since selling my car... Everytime I see a s15 go past I wanna cry but what can you do, kid and wife come first... just...

#43 Glynnside

• Car:RB24 180sx

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostGHOSTY, on 27 June 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

It was fun 5+ years ago when you could drive you race car on the street without too much hassle, these days it's worse than murder, pretty much killed it for me because sure you'd get to the track 5% of the time, but the other 95% of the time you'd want to drive the car on the road, and being young, who can afford to dump bulk cash on something that's only used once in a blue moon? Ended up selling all my car stuff and bought a house. Later on when I can afford to do the track thing properly (which is what I want to enjoy it) I will do it, but like others have said, too much of a headache trying to get shit towed/not owning a trailer/tow car/nowhere to keep them anyway, no garage to work on it without annoying neighbours etc., shit always breaking then not having a daily, just gets too costly, not enough reward, politics killed it, blame politics.

drove mine daily for two years before i spun the bearings with no hassle from the 5-0 at all. with cage etc. Some people are just lucky i suppose. i was lucky in that aspect not so lucky in the reliability on the track aspect.

#44 brent47

• Car:jdm 15

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Best drift experience I've ever had was with a 125cc dirt kart when I borrowed my mates for a quick end of race day practice session after watching him go all day, the most nuts feeling being so close to the ground and 4 wheel sliding the whole track with mad acceleration.

So that's what i will do to feed the hunger, had enough after 11yrs of living nothing but drift.

Lux jap limo cruiser so still got a nice car
Dirt go kart for a cheap hobby to thrash

After that its more free time and money with the partner for property and buisness investments to aim for a better life, maybe a really cheap NA wet hills car one day later if I get ancy

#45 serious14_guy

• Car:rx7

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

try motorkanas. i know it's not the same but it's very cheap and all low speed so there is less stress on the car and you can't really crash

#46 SK!D

• Car:s13

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postserious14_guy, on 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

try motorkanas. i know it's not the same but it's very cheap and all low speed so there is less stress on the car and you can't really crash

i started racing in autoX and got bored thats why i started drifting
have dirt bikes and have had quads, haven tfound it anywhere near as fu as drifting,
as to dritfing its finding the right setup, to many people go out looking for bulk power and just blow shit up all the time,
find something cheap and do the right mods to make it reliable, you can have so much fun in a underpowered car and find a way to drive to keep up with the bigger powered cars, reliability us the key, if you can get out there and have a ball and keep going.
you dont need a pretty car or a stupid powered car to have fun!

#47 SpotMan

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Just hurry up and slap a rb20 in it. But Tbh the car has done very well for what it was. You picked it up for nothing and have competed in a number of events without anything major failing.. so that's pretty damn good for the price you paid.

#48 PkrSilvia

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I ended up getting rid of my car when i first moved out and it was the best thing I have done in my life :( It allowed me to get settled in with the Mrs and I eventually purchased a dirt bike which I ride nearly every weekend with friends or at the track. I have got over having a drift car, but are looking at getting a track bike to get my fix of speed and being at the track. Haven't decided if I will get another track car. The ease of transportation, repairs and storage of a bike is so much easier for me.

#49 Zenki Monkey

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I built my car up to be a fun reliable street/track car.

Went to about 8 track days and was over it..

Nothing against drifting, but I just prefer a more pure form of motorsport like racing.

So I sold up and now I'm either saving for a deposit for a property or a street/circuit car.. Maybe something fun like a Torana, meh I don't know.

And I also try to go karting regularly for a track fix

Edited by Zenki Monkey, 30 June 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#50 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Biased here, But all I see is bitching and excuses.

#51 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

people blowing engines and stressing about their car, sounds like people in this thread need moar rb20.

#52 tsurikawa.

• Car:Sileighty

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Agree. I've barely missed any drift events at my local track over the last 2 years. So far my stock boost RB20 hasn't missed a beat and since my car is so basic the cost of each event is fairly low.

#53 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Looking at the original post, Seems Lucas needs more SR in his life.

Drifting can be expensive. But then it again it can be very inexpensive. We have all blown a f**kton of money on it.. If you love the sport, You don't see it as a loss or a negative streak; You see it as an investment. Food for though for all those above complaining about Money and Cops.

#54 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostSlippery Gypsy, on 30 June 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Drifting can be expensive. But then it again it can be very inexpensive. We have all blown a f**kton of money on it.. If you love the sport, You don't see it as a loss or a negative streak; You see it as an investment. Food for though for all those above complaining about Money and Cops.
There is nothing "investing" in Motorsport :lol:

No need to pull those bs cards. Sr? I wouldn't have made it through 2 events without making this thread

In all seriousness just seeing what people did. Sucks when you work hours and hours getting a car together for a track day turn the key and have rod knock only to have to strip it all down. Very non motivating

#55 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

Man, Some of the Vic seen see it ten times worse than that. They do the late nights you hate at tuners and garages getting shit organised for Matsuri's/Comps/Prac days only for the car to f**k up and they pull the pin at 11am on the day. Its somewhat expected to some of these guys haha

And yes there is "Investing" in "Drift". I invest money and time as does every other kent, And when out on the track having fun, I see it as money well f**king spent. So put your blouse back on, Put a pad in ya knickers and have a cup of concrete ;)

View PostLucas., on 30 June 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

View PostSlippery Gypsy, on 30 June 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

There is nothing "investing" in Motorsport :lol:

No need to pull those bs cards. Sr? I wouldn't have made it through 2 events without making this thread

In all seriousness just seeing what people did. Sucks when you work hours and hours getting a car together for a track day turn the key and have rod knock only to have to strip it all down. Very non motivating

#56 s-13dr1ft

• Car:89 r32 gts-t

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

Oh no he didn't.

#57 The New Guy

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Sorry fellas this might be off topic a bit but how much does it cost all up to Do drifting in Japan for 2 weeks? Is it Ebisu?

#58 SpotMan

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostThe New Guy, on 07 July 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Sorry fellas this might be off topic a bit but how much does it cost all up to Do drifting in Japan for 2 weeks? Is it Ebisu?

There's an ebisu thread in the drift chat section I think. Better place to ask then in here.

Link. http://hardtuned.net...0

Edited by SpotMan, 07 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#59 The New Guy

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Awesome. Thank you

#60 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostThe New Guy, on 07 July 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Awesome. Thank you

It can be cheap if you want it to be. Unlike me and a few others going over in Nov, The guys who are skidding are taking the more "comfortable" path in terms of financials.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!