- - - - -

South American Countries 

9 replies to this topic

#1 CQNMAN

• Car:s 15 for sale! Cheap

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hey everyone,

Which countries do you need a VISA for in South America?

Looking at staying about 2 weeks max in each country

#2 level_100%_warned

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

you talking about applying for one before going or just getting a stamp on your passport...

you don't need one prior to going because you are going for tourism purposes, however you will need a passport and to have that passport stamped by local immigration authorities that is done when you get there no paperwork required before you go there... on the way to the country you will be given an immigration card to fill out which you have to say what you are carrying, how long you are staying, why you are going and where you would be staying you fill that out and give it to the local immigration official when entering your final destination along with your passport and you will be cleared on the discretion of the local immigration authorities... you don't need to fill out the cards if you are just stopping over at a country (If you are not dealing with immigration or leaving the airport)

that is basically the process for a tourist visa... however if you are going there for business purposes or going there to work etc... you will need to get in touch with DFAT...

#3 Guest_J's Type X_*

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Learn Spanish and Portugese. It will keep you out of trouble. A lot of the places if not all have areas where police will expect bribes or people will want money from you. High chance is you will be brushed up by some gang and asked for money. If you don't speak their language things get crazy quickly. Spending two weeks in each place means you will be seeing like every inch of their country almost. Which is why the above statement is so true. Santiago Chile for example one side is all good and the other bad. You go a few kms out of their in either direction you will wish you knew Spanish.

#4 the exa

• Car:Nissan Exa CA18DET

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

You should have a read of smartraveller.gov.au which says all countries visa requirements are different so you need to check with each country specifically. Tourist or not, some countries still require one. I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I would ignore the first post completely, so much misinformation. For starters dfat do not deal with visas for our own country let alone other countries.

#5 CQNMAN

• Car:s 15 for sale! Cheap

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Thanks so much for the informative replies guys!
It shows that not everyone on NS.com is out to flame and be jerks.

I will have to look into it a bit more before i go.

As far as speaking spanish goes, im terrible so will have to learn a few words to help me get out of trouble.

Thanks again

#6 level_100%_warned

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

View Postthe exa, on 17 September 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

You should have a read of smartraveller.gov.au which says all countries visa requirements are different so you need to check with each country specifically. Tourist or not, some countries still require one. I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I would ignore the first post completely, so much misinformation. For starters dfat do not deal with visas for our own country let alone other countries.

for starters your quoting the website whose services are provided by DFAT... your in a sense quoting a service provided by DFAT to help the gentleman find out visa conditions and saying that DFAT would have no knowledge over the matter... contradiction much

and second of all the Department of Immigration and Citizenship can offer you advice... and probably offer you the same advice as DFAT... and yes you can get advice from immigration about visa conditions to a certain country... Immigration is the enforcement body for immigration and emigration... DFAT role is advisory... I'm not saying you lodge your visa application (If he needs one) with DFAT the gentleman is seeking advise and they would give just as good advise as Immigration would...

#7 the exa

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

I knew you'd get shirty if I attacked your post but it had to be said. Pretty much the first thing you say is that you don't need to arrange any visas before going there. I knew one was required for brazil and I'm sure there are others. I was only pointing out that dfat do not deal with visas in response to you suggesting that he 'get in touch' with them for information about a working visa. All they will tell you is what's on their website and that is to contact that country's embassy/consulate.

#8 level_100%_warned

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

View Postthe exa, on 19 September 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I knew you'd get shirty if I attacked your post but it had to be said. Pretty much the first thing you say is that you don't need to arrange any visas before going there. I knew one was required for brazil and I'm sure there are others. I was only pointing out that dfat do not deal with visas in response to you suggesting that he 'get in touch' with them for information about a working visa. All they will tell you is what's on their website and that is to contact that country's embassy/consulate.

no what I was saying is that you fill out one of these forms prior to entering a country when your a tourist... and you hand in a form like this to the immigration officials of the country that you are flying to... besides it doesn't sound like he wants a working visa...

Posted Image

#9 the exa

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

Yeah there are those which pretty much every country has. But there are also actual visas that you have to apply for and have issued by the consulate in Australia before you leave. Even for tourists.

#10 hayai32

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

So far for an Aussie, I've only needed one for Brazil. Don't panic too much about it being dangerous. Been here for 2 years now and never been into any real trouble. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!