Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Micro 4/3 and Mirrorless DSLR cameras.. - Hardtuned.net

Micro 4/3 and Mirrorless DSLR cameras.. 

14 replies to this topic

#1 _mR_180_

• Car:Alfa Romeo 156 JTS

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Been looking at these models over the last 12 months or so.. originally it was Panasonic, Olympus and Sony as the major players but now Nikon and Samsung are coming to the table. I still am considering one due to the reduced bulk say over a D5100 or a Sony A55 when i finally purchase a DSLR camera.

What are peoples thoughts on these cameras such as the Olympus PEN E-P3, Sony NEX-C3/5 with the 7 soon to be released and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3? Does anyone have any experience with any of these cameras and what are your thoughts?

The only real downsides i can see are smaller range of lenses, and lack of a viewfinder (except the new NEX-7 which isnt released it)

Discuss.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 OUTKAST

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have a NEX-5. there is only manual zoom. so that gets alittle annoying coming from a point and shoot. You can get an adapter to fit pretty much any lens. check ebay. Just saw the other day, you can get an adapter to suit the alpha lenses and keep auto-focus (i think)I got the 18-55mm lens with mine. and night shots are very very grainy (could be the lens, or the fact its a 4/3rd's camera?). even some of the daytime shots seem average at times. I would like to get a decent fish eye lens, and see if it improves the quality of the pictures, but a decent lens is $400-2000.

Im abit annoyed that there isnt a crows foot, so you need to use the provided Sony flash, which can look abit gay in pics because pending the lens you use, creates a shadow. The larger tilting screen comes in pretty handy. (it is also a downfall as you cant turn it off). Sony offer a view finder that fits into the position that the flash goes onto, but it means you can use the flash at the same time :whack: Lots of modes ive never really played with. Battery life is not bad considering the large screen is on all the time. Feels pretty nice in the hand to hold. (NEX 5 was a metal casing, where as the NEX 3 wasnt supposedly) Video recording at 1080p. I had a quick play, I have a helmet cam for things i want to record, so dont use that function too often. The menu is pretty user friendly, extra info can be turned off if you know what you are doing with a camera. lots of accessories on offer from Sony (read pricey)

the PEN-E is alot cheaper and also has the adapter you can buy to fit other lenses, also has the crows foot so you can run proper flash. I looked at some of the other micro 4/3rds. alot of them looked and felt like plastic.

Photobucket resizes photos, even at that size, you can see the graini-ness alittle. Last pic was in sports mode.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 tefu

• Car:Silvia S15

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

you know what I hate about this... the bokeh is not nice at all... but review says SONY NEX-5N is a good one. and you can get the adapter to use the Alpha lens... :D

#4 _mR_180_

• Car:Alfa Romeo 156 JTS

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

id love to purchase the new sony nex-7.. but im not about to drop $1200 on a single lens kit.

the new samsung NX200 also looks quite nice.. price point is better then the NEX-7. However the NEX-7 has got me really interested because it is the first mirrorless or micro 4/3 to have an integrated viewfinder which i think is extremely important.

the new Nikon has also been announced but it looks rubbish and its specs are rubbish.. it is basically a compact camera with an interchangeable lens system. it does have a EVF if only they put a decent sensor in it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 OUTKAST

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

that is on full auto. is that classed as Bokeh?

#6 tefu

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

yeah but that's because you are close by to the focus object

but shooting on normal distance e.g. 2m away from your object, the background has to be far away to get a great bokeh, since their F-Stop is too low on tele

#7 Clubmanmc

• Car:MX-5 Clubman one of 186 total production

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

if your looking to get into photography, and wanting to expand your lens choices in the future, things like this will limit your abilities in the next 1 - 2 years, due to lens choice and $$$

better to buy a 1000D or a D3100 as they are quite good BASIC cameras...

portability is the only downside...

M

#8 019

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

View Posttefu, on 12 October 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

yeah but that's because you are close by to the focus object

there is no rules in bokeh regarding distance from subject, specially considering that bokeh refers to points of light in an unfocussed part of a photo which generally has nothing to do with the subject (in most cases)

http://www.kenrockwe.../tech/bokeh.htm
Bokeh describes the appearance, or "feel," of out-of-focus areas. Bokeh is not how far something is out-of-focus, bokeh is the character of whatever blur is there.
Perfect lenses render out-of-focus points of light as circles with sharp edges. Ideal bokeh would render each of these points as blurs, not hard-edged circles.

#9 tefu

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

^^ lol

What I was trying to say is for a Joe Blow out there.... it's not easy to get the bokeh from this kinda camera.

#10 019

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

sounded like you were saying that he was getting bokeh, but only because he was close by to the focus object.
dont mind me, im easily confused.

#11 tefu

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

yes, hard to get bokeh unless the object is so close to the camera and the background is longer than the focus distance.

#12 019

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

yep, im way more confused than ever before. haha

#13 spqr-king

• Car:'93 Nissan 240sx

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

DSLR>micro>point and shoot Thats how it is as of now until micro 4/3 cameras and fit more in that condensed little body it will be this way for awhile! They are decent but not anywhere near DSLR quality despite being near DSLR price...

#14 Clubmanmc

• Car:MX-5 Clubman one of 186 total production

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

DOF is all a very complicated to understand but easy to work out (in time) mathmatical equation, based on the Fstop of the lens, the size of the cmos / ccd and the distance of the object from the CCD/CMOS

the bokeh, is a function of the aperature blades and the smoothness of the circular hole they create as they stop down, the more blades the more "round" it is and the better the bokeh will look... but its all lens dependant, on a non SLR the blades are tiny as the holes are tiny...

ill try to explain the above statement...

the F stop of a lens is a ratio of the length of the lens divided by the hole that allows the light to pass through it, so a F2.8 lens that is 200mm will have a 200/2.8 = 71.4mm hole, when you change the f stop in the lens, there is a diaphram that constricts the hole to make it smaller, these diampharms are usually made of overlapping blades, as they close, the hole they leave is smaller, but still round, so the same lense at F20 will have a 10mm diameter hole in it, these blades edges effect the bokeh.

if you do a LOOOONG night time exposure and you stop down the lens to say F21 or smaller, where the blades overlap there is a leakage of light, and this will create the star patterns you see around bright lights...

#15 019

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

all i know is that if i push that little silver button halfway down things start to get into focus and if i push it all the way down a photo will be taken. thats about the extent of my knowledge, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!