Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Air conditioning for s13 - Hardtuned.net

Air conditioning for s13 

45 replies to this topic

#1 SoulHaylo

• Car:1993 s13

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys

Anyone know anyone who is an airconditioning auto electrician who's fixed air conditioning for silvias?

I'm not sure what's wrong with my air con as it's never worked ever since I got it nearly 2 years ago even tho the previous owner said it was regassed.

My heater works fine tho.

I can only find commercial air con places like brisbane air conditioning, etc., but would be nice if I can be 1000% sure the person fixing my air con knows exactly wat they're doing on an s13 atleast so if you guys know anyone please send their contacts my way!

thanxx

#2 scooby36

• Car:94 sil80

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:07 AM

if its R134a and the compressor still works i can prolly help

#3 disenter

• Car:S13 Silvia SR20DET

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

if you have the digital climate control, you can do a diagnostic on it to see if there are any faults with all the sensors related to it etc.. mine has never worked ever since i got mine about 4 years ago too.. i did all the tests and everything checked out ok... got it regassed and still wouldn't work, so took it to an auto electrician and let them go over it.. came down to the compressor being stuffed. Power gets right down to the terminals of it, but nothin comes out.
That auto electrician that does air con as well, is beside archy airport, on the south side of it..if you've ever gone to the drifts there, you'd probly have passed them.. they should at least be able to diagnose where the fault is, and take it from there for you.

#4 SoulHaylo

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

scoobydoo - wat's an R134a? how do i check i even have that?

dave - sounds like my problem, prob the compressor then. do you kno the name of that place or number (or both)? luckily mine is digital climate control so could do a diagnostic on it.

thanx guys

feel free to keep shooting me more contacts in bris!

#5 Emz_Silv

• Car:Toyota Supra

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Haylz call this guy, he is a mobile car air con guy and he knows what he is doing! Mine is still going strong after it previously being out of action for 2 yrs also. Not too pricey either.

L.B Luu (May Lanh Xe) - 0412167318

Only down side about him is that he does not turn up on time, if he says 3, expect 3.45 <_<

#6 Speedinc

• Car:R32 Sedan

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

probably as simple as replacing the temp sensor behind that little vent under your din pannel.

if its buggered the car things its cold all the time, and wont give you anything but hot air... i went to wreckers.. cut one out of a half cut for free, and it fixed my problem.

#7 scooby36

• Car:94 sil80

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

check the sticker near the radiator.. indicates which refrigerant is used.

if it says R12 then it might be a bit trickier, but i can try chucking some 134 in to replace it.

#8 advan

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

There is an motor that contols a door/air diverted behind your dash that will make your a/c either blow hot or cold air, mine gets stuck quiet often. Try getting in your passenger seat and playing with your temp and forcefully moving the little elbow that is attached to the door, Ashman mentioned it a while ago and apparently its quiet a common problem.

Id say search but the search function is gimped.

Works for me everytime

#9 disenter

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

Can't remember the name, but did a bit of a search.. these guys must be it.

Coopers Plains Auto Electrical
Lores Bonney Dr (Cnr Mortimer Rd)
Archerfield QLD 4108
Phone:07 3275 2166

Just note, they didn't fix it for me, but just went over the whole electrical side of it to find where the fault was for me, since everything else seemed to check out ok.

The regas was done by Western Suburbs Auto Electrical... my s13 uses or used the older type gas which is illegal to regas these days, however they filled it with a mixed gas that is supposedly compatible just not quite as efficient as the older stuff. At the time, I did speak to a couple other places in the area about completely converting the system for use with newer gases that are legal, and found it was around $250 to do the whole thing. The regas was only 90 bucks or something so i tried that first.. don't go to red devil, fark me they wanted to charge me $1000 to replace the whole a/c system.. i was like ffs man its a 14k car and you want me to pay 1k for a/c?? pfft cya lol

here is a guide to doing the diagnostic on your digital climate control:

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=264162

#10 Protius

• Car:S14 200SX

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

A/C in cars is A/C, there really isn't a lot to them and most cars all have the same components controlling things, so any reputable auto electrician should be able to get it going for you.

#11 KaosTheory180

• Car:Evo 7

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

I wish I had aircon :( Aircon doesnt like the duration and lift on my new cams, hopefully will be fixed when the final tune is done :)

#12 danjor

• Car:1991 180sx

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:36 AM

^^ haha tell me about it i am a refrigeration mechanic and i dont even have aircon in my own car.

#13 SoulHaylo

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

I got my air con fixed!!!!!!

Atleast for now. I called L.B Luu as Em recommended cos he's a mobile dude so he came around this morning. Infact I booked him for 11am and he woke me up with a phonecall at 8.45am saying he's coming in 10mins i was like omfg... but glad he came around early, drove to brunch in aircon!

anyway, apparently my fuse blew so he just replaced it with a 15amp one and warned it might blow again as I have a problem with my compressor which may need replacing, so you guys were right in predicting that might be the case.

I'll see how long it takes for this fuse to blow and replace my compressor then.

Thanks for all your suggestions & help guys!

If any of you guys need your air con fixed L.B Luu knows his shiz, is affordable and is a mobile aircon man, you can contact him on 0412 167 318

#14 disenter

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

lol least yours was an easy fix... i need a new compressor and then regas i'd say, unless there is a way to swap the compressor without losing the gas... might have to do it soon though, its getting way to hot esp in a black car... been sayin that for the last 3 years runnin tho... lol i'll get to it one day

#15 booostin

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

disenter, on 09 December 2009 - 10:31 AM, said:

lol least yours was an easy fix... i need a new compressor and then regas i'd say, unless there is a way to swap the compressor without losing the gas... might have to do it soon though, its getting way to hot esp in a black car... been sayin that for the last 3 years runnin tho... lol i'll get to it one day

I say that all the time aswell, rofl

#16 i_want_a_180

• Car:R33 4dr

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

disenter, on 09 December 2009 - 10:31 AM, said:

the compressor on s13's are pricks to get to, i swapped mine out in my 180, and there is no way in hell your getting that out without losing your gas

#17 SoulHaylo

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

Actually i'm back in the same boat as you dave, my compressor needs to be replaced or somehow fixed.

The hopeful fuse that got my aircon workin this morning blew as soon as I turned the car off cos it seemed to only work for one ride.

Called the guy again and he gave me 5 fuses with a mix of 20 and 15 amp ones so i have 5 more rides with air con.. need to use them wisely until I decide to get my compressor fixed.

Can it be done diy you reckon?? or is it full complex and ruin my fingernails job?

#18 disenter

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

nah the other guys are right, its in a prick of a place to get to, and have to take the belts off etc, so fan off first i guess, probly easier to take the turbo an manifold out too just to give yaself a bit of room... it's not really something you get fixed.. i mean you could, its just a copper winding inside, and there are places that can 'rewind' it, but it'd cost you a lot more to get that done, than it would to just replace it with another working one from a wrecker or something.. an yes, probly wreck the nails :lol:

I'm sure I read a guide to doing it without losing the gas once before, but was ages ago and stuffed if i can find it again... i think about 2-3 years ago i looked into replacing the whole system, since mine is an older system that requires older (illegal) gas, there are places that will convert the system to accept newer gases .. i think at the time the place i sussed out wanted about $250 to do it... so yeah, if yours is the older system be prepared to potentially pay for that as well as replacing the compressor, if you do need it regassed after.

#19 mill-180

• Car:RPS13

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

hey, i replaced my compressor yesterday. took me 1 hr and a bit on my sr.
Make sure it is done in a well ventilated area.
It is also a good idea to pick up compressor oil and a new pair of o-rings for the fittings.

1- locate the a/c belt and run along it until you see a pulley held on by a 14mm nut. loosen that nut, but dont take it off.
2- there is another 14mm bolt just behind that same pulley, facing upwards toward the sky. loosen that until the belt comes off
3- take off intake pipe from turbo to filter and anything else in the way.
4- use a 12mm socket and long ass extension to take off the lines going into the compressor. you might need a uni joint/ball joint attachment to get the socket at different angles.
5- At this point, if your system is filled with gas, loosen one of the fittings until you hear a great big hissing sound. GTFO as these gases are dangerous. DO NOT BREATHE IT IN.
6- When the gas has expelled completely from the system, loosen the other fitting. (two in total)
7- use a 14mm socket to undo the bolts holding the compressor in up the top.
8- jack car up, undo the other two 14mm bolts underneath the compressor.
9- it should now come off. lever it out of there by going between the swaybar and the radiator shroud. try to keep it in an upright position as there is oil in the compressor.
10- fill the new compressor with its specified oil (refer to manual) and replace the o-rings on the fittings. Then, its a matter of reversing all the above steps.

#20 i_want_a_180

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

pewter180, on 11 December 2009 - 09:50 AM, said:

5- At this point, if your system is filled with gas, loosen one of the fittings until you hear a great big hissing sound. GTFO as these gases are dangerous. DO NOT BREATHE IT IN.
6- When the gas has expelled completely from the system, loosen the other fitting. (two in total)

just as a minor legal note: allowing your a/c gas to vent to the atmo. is illegal (mind you the chance of getting caught arent proberbly that high but still)

better to just take it down to an ac joint and have them take it out. shouldnt cost much to take the gas out

#21 Emz_Silv

• Car:Toyota Supra

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

SoulHaylo, on 09 December 2009 - 11:15 PM, said:

Actually i'm back in the same boat as you dave, my compressor needs to be replaced or somehow fixed.

The hopeful fuse that got my aircon workin this morning blew as soon as I turned the car off cos it seemed to only work for one ride.

Called the guy again and he gave me 5 fuses with a mix of 20 and 15 amp ones so i have 5 more rides with air con.. need to use them wisely until I decide to get my compressor fixed.

Can it be done diy you reckon?? or is it full complex and ruin my fingernails job?

Woot the girls suggestion was taken over all you boys :P
Sucks it died straight up but at least now u know and its so much more convenient to have the guy come to you.
How much are compressors did he say?

#22 i_want_a_180

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

Emz_Silv, on 12 December 2009 - 06:08 AM, said:

just a note on that one

i got quoted 800 (to try and fix) or 1100 for a brand new one

picked up a 2nd hand one off ebay for about 65 bucks

#23 Protius

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

i_want_a_180, on 12 December 2009 - 08:11 AM, said:

Emz_Silv, on 12 December 2009 - 06:08 AM, said:

just a note on that one

i got quoted 800 (to try and fix) or 1100 for a brand new one

picked up a 2nd hand one off ebay for about 65 bucks
How longs your second hand one gonna last though. I suppose at $65 and a bit of time spent replacing it it's not too much of a loss in the end if it f**ks up too.

Just for interests sake, I took the clutch coil out of a lancer a/c compressor, still on the car etc and sent it away to be rewound. Job done for the customer was $290.

#24 SoulHaylo

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

Multiquote is not working for me grr.

I was quoted $300 - 400 to replace the compressor incl labour and parts by the mobile guy.

But the day after I received the 5 fuses which I thought I had 5 chances of driving with aircon, the first fuse blew like 10 m into driving. Tried it with the air con off at ignition too.

When I pulled over to change the fuse to a 20amp a man pulled over to help me out. He's a mechanic and said if it's the compressor clutch, a relay could help.

Called nissan to buy a relay for $65 but the parts guy said there should be another one already in my car next to the aircon one that I could just swap over.

Haven't done that yet, have any of you guys done that?

The mobile dude advised me to not put fuses any more than 20amp but my mates are telling me i should try up t0 50amp to see where it's cutting out.

#25 SoulHaylo

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

p.s. pewter180 good work on doin that shiz diy. i'd do it if i wasn't sucha scaredy poo poo

#26 Protius

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

Don't put in a big fuse as the wiring etc will not handle the load and you'll burn the wires out and f**k it real good. So does it only blow the fuse now when you turn the a/c on? If it definately is the clutch coil you COULD put a relay in line with the power wire to the coil which would take the load off all the wiring and you'd just run a new wire from the battery to the relay then to the clutch coil, but most likely the coil has fused together a bit inside and is drawing too much current.

Could possibly have a look for you if you wanted and help you out with it all.

#27 pyro

• Car:JZX100

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

SoulHaylo, on 12 December 2009 - 05:23 PM, said:

The mobile dude advised me to not put fuses any more than 20amp but my mates are telling me i should try up t0 50amp to see where it's cutting out.
cliff notes: stick with the 20amp :P

i'd stick with the mobile guy, especially if you're not mechanical.

the wiring to the compressor is rated to a particular amperage. fuses are designed so that when that amperage (or a slightly lower amperage for safety) is reached, the fuse blows so that nothing else blows. fuses are then located in convenient places so that they can be changed easily.

swapping in higher amperage fuses MAY work, as long as:
1. other fuses are located inline
2. the wiring can handle it
3. and all other components between the power source and the compressor can handle it.
i however would not recommend it, because nissan aren't about to spend more money than they have to, wiring the car with higher gauge than it needs to work properly. that and the risk that other items between the power source and the compressor (if there are any, outside of the wiring) can't handle the amperage, is expensive.

unless your mates are prepared to pay for you to get your car fixed, should follow their advice, i'd go with the mobile guy. he's not telling you to stick with 20's so that he can get more money out of you in fault finding. the wiring in most nissans is poor at the best of times, even in such basic principles as grounding. as an example, the M35 Stagea actually gains a significant amount of horsepower from an aftermarket grounding kit.

#28 SoulHaylo

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

That's true, and true.

I doubt stickin in higher amp fuses will make such a difference anyway, I will just stick with the relay idea or replace my compressor which seems to be the root of the problem.

THanks Josh & Protius, you guys have amped my aicon knowledge.

#29 blur

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

SoulHaylo, on 15 December 2009 - 08:35 PM, said:

That's true, and true.

I doubt stickin in higher amp fuses will make such a difference anyway, I will just stick with the relay idea or replace my compressor which seems to be the root of the problem.

THanks Josh & Protius, you guys have amped my aicon knowledge.

Replace the compressor. A compressor clutch is only meant to draw around 3.5A on its own so a 10A fuse is normally plenty and in actual fact all the wiring is capable of. If the clutch turns into a full short, which is only a matter of time, and you keep on putting fuses in it, expect a toasty wiring harness, at least from the compressor clutch to relay./end sensible mode.

#30 Mase

• Car:91 SR20DET Silvia

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

Definately don't put a bigger fuse in, you'll toast your wiring!!!

If you're on the northside Adrian (blur) is a good auto electrician. He's in stafford.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!