Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
~~TOMK THE AMATUER DJ!~~on his way! Touche'! - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

~~TOMK THE AMATUER DJ!~~on his way! Touche'! 

114 replies to this topic

#1 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:40 AM

okay so here goes:

last friday out mingn, at chinese laundry the drum n bass room was going off had a chat with a few randoms few crazy arm twitch grabs and crazy eye contact the usual :ph34r: , so anyways after it finished i went back to chicks unit and she was a great person she was soooo friendly and down to earth!, so was her flatmate and my mate ben, and there was another guy to but he crashed out, so anyways, its 5am we are at there unit, we walk in to see these madddd settup gadgets, a projector aimed at the wall, and dear god no wha, wha really? are they! Pioneer cd decks? YES! so anyways we toked had a few chill out tracks some drum n bass break beats trance all that, and we all had a go at mixing, now i came up and sucked simply because it was my first go but was getting used to it faster than i anticipated, and i loved it! it was a feeling of learning something new that i hadn't felt for so long (simply because my job has so much repetition in it! So i sat back peaking and we ended up forming a 3 guys 1 girl human jigsaw puzzle lying over each others bodies and making contact and listening to the music and speaking some deep shit once in a while about lost friendships etc etc it was so great, and then the first step I took up to the decks was pure bliss, it felt insane just having the power to shift and change and make the tracks your own in a sense. It was such an amazing feeling! im a big music fiend and since that night mixing on pioneer 1000's DJM 800 mixer in a coffin case with good monitor speakers, I just had to have some!

So im putting a order in for around 6 grand settup if no high 5gs.

2X pioneer 1000s
1X DJM 800 mixer
1X monitor speakers anything with a 1-1.25 inch tweet and 8.25 woofer or there abouts that hopefully is kevlar coated :P
1X pioneer Dj head phones enclosed of course.

I cannot wait, infact as I am writing this im listening to one of the most gorgeous trance tracks ever created!

ARMIN VAN BUUREN- Burned With Desire Feat. J suissa :wub:

Cant wait to start guys Any feed back? or anyone else on this site dj id love to add you or add me (tomk_03@hotmail.com) to msn as im becoming a big audiophile head hahaha

cant blame me!? dads a sound techo/recordist
his cousin produces krix speakers which are high quality for hoyts cinema apps and now home use as well. :P so maybee its a direction I could face even as a serious hobby of mine? I know it sounds queer or what ever but When i stood up at those decks just this insane feeling of power came to me, not one of Greed or attention whoring, but just such power at my disposal to change and manipulate songs into awesome mixes and create something new :wub:

thanks guys! Wuv you all long tyme.

Tom k

#2 JMac

• Car:S13

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

WTF?

that was deep for a monday morn

#3 caesar

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Isnt it spelt Touché?

#4 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

View Postcaesar, on Dec 23 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

Isnt it spelt Touché?

dude. i jsut came home from work and my mind is screwed from not sleeping... properly...... please just tell me your thoughts or just continue to lol and rofl.

#5 Guest_escobar s13_*

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

wait.....

tomk is back?

#6 caesar

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

View Postescobar s13, on Dec 24 2007, 10:55 AM, said:

wait.....

tomk is back?

Reincarnated as an Asian.

#7 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

ADMINS PLZ CLEAN THREAD UP? I WAS LOOKING SERIOUS POSTS ONLY PLEASE? THIS IS SOMETHING IM WANTING TO START AS A HOBBY.

#8 Guest_escobar s13_*

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

sorry bro.... serious response: i say go for it. maybe get your self a 808 or something so you can make beats. i've only ever fooled around on mates turntables but their definately fun.
(anyone who made as big a deal about leaving as you has to expect some cheeky comments)

#9 IXnakedXI

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

An old friend of mine, whom I used to rave with has a mad setup. don't know what brand or anything, as this was a very long time ago.
+1 for go for it.

are you just looking to do it as a hobby like you said? Or eventually Dj for a club or something?

It took my mate ash about 6-9 months to become freakin awesome at using it.

#10 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

Wow, what a ridiculous waste of money for a beginner setup. Do some proper research before you go and waste such a massive amount of money like that - my first setup cost $2500 all up (except it was with turntables rather than CDJs).

The 1000s are a tidy choice, no problem there - if you have the moolah for them cos theyre pricey as.

DJM800? Why do you need a $2000 four channel mixer, when you only have 2 CDJs? Get a Numark DXM06 for $450. 2 channel. FX. Kills. Awesome.

DO NOT buy Pioneer Headphones, they WILL break. Same with Technics and Sony. Obviously you have cash to burn, so get Sennheiser HD25s.

You have too much money if you are going to just go in full ball with gear like that.

p.s. if you are going to be serious about it, you better be prepared to spend a shitload on legally bought MP3 / WAV files as it is very illegal to use downloaded MP3s. And be prepared to put in months and months of practice and having to listen to your favourite tracks get destroyed by your practice going wrong. This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

#11 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

View Postescobar s13, on Dec 23 2007, 12:15 PM, said:

sorry bro.... serious response: i say go for it. maybe get your self a 808 or something so you can make beats. i've only ever fooled around on mates turntables but their definately fun.
(anyone who made as big a deal about leaving as you has to expect some cheeky comments)

dads got a 808 and his a sound techo and I just love music I cant explain it! Music has such power and influence in my mind and trance and vocal trance is some of the best examples in my books! :wub:

View PostKolin, on Dec 23 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

An old friend of mine, whom I used to rave with has a mad setup. don't know what brand or anything, as this was a very long time ago.
+1 for go for it.

are you just looking to do it as a hobby like you said? Or eventually Dj for a club or something?

It took my mate ash about 6-9 months to become freakin awesome at using it.

yeah dude the possibilities are so endless to man. I am looking as a hobby some fun to pass time and enjoy myself coz it is even if i fail I will mark my works get back up and try again! i dont give up on something i love so much. yeah guy at the unit played he was only 2 months practicing on and off and he was doing preety well dude.

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 23 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

Wow, what a ridiculous waste of money for a beginner setup. Do some proper research before you go and waste such a massive amount of money like that - my first setup cost $2500 all up (except it was with turntables rather than CDJs).

The 1000s are a tidy choice, no problem there - if you have the moolah for them cos theyre pricey as.

DJM800? Why do you need a $2000 four channel mixer, when you only have 2 CDJs? Get a Numark DXM06 for $450. 2 channel. FX. Kills. Awesome.

DO NOT buy Pioneer Headphones, they WILL break. Same with Technics and Sony. Obviously you have cash to burn, so get Sennheiser HD25s.

You have too much money if you are going to just go in full ball with gear like that.

p.s. if you are going to be serious about it, you better be prepared to spend a shitload on legally bought MP3 / WAV files as it is very illegal to use downloaded MP3s. And be prepared to put in months and months of practice and having to listen to your favourite tracks get destroyed by your practice going wrong. This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

please add me to Msn? tomk_03@hotmail.com????? you sound like you know a thing or 2.

#12 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

No MSN, at work. If you have any q's, PM Me. Or check out the music section, yes there is a world outside OT.

#13 Scoota

• Car:2004 Silver Mitsubishi Lancer

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 24 2007, 12:28 AM, said:

Wow, what a ridiculous waste of money for a beginner setup.

This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

AGREED :yes:

Why the hell would you spend $6000 for a first setup? :lol:

My mate spent just under $2000 on his setup and hires bits and pieces if he needs. He is only an amateur, but the basics is all you need to get you started

#14 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

View PostScoota, on Dec 23 2007, 01:05 PM, said:

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 24 2007, 12:28 AM, said:

Wow, what a ridiculous waste of money for a beginner setup.

This is not a hobby for the bandwagoners or the ones who will give up after a few weeks from the frustration of not getting it right.

AGREED :yes:

Why the hell would you spend $6000 for a first setup? :lol:

My mate spent just under $2000 on his setup and hires bits and pieces if he needs. He is only an amateur, but the basics is all you need to get you started

why not go all out? if i have the cash and i think it will turn into a big hobby and ill enjoy having mates over to make beats why not? you get what you pay for boys.... remember that. :yes:

#15 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

View PostTomk, on Dec 24 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

why not go all out? if i have the cash and i think it will turn into a big hobby and ill enjoy having mates over to make beats why not? you get what you pay for boys.... remember that. :yes:

Because its 3 times what you need to spend on something that you have had an overnight 'calling' for, and youre buying overly unnecessary equipment - a DJM800 is a 4 channel mixer, and youre only getting 2 CDJs - so what are the other two channels going to do? Even a DJM600, which is $500 cheaper and still 4 channel, is overkill.

This is why I said, get a DXM06. It will do all that you need, and at a quarter of the price. Go into any DJ store and they will tell you that the Sennheiser HD25 headphones SHIT on anything out there and will last til the end of time. Pioneer / Technics design is inferior, and the cords inside the swivel thing for the ear pieces break with excessive twisting - and they can not be repaired, you have to throw the whole thing out.

You havent researched properly into mixers, headphones, you just have gone all Pioneer happy assuming that theyre the best in the industry. WRONG. They are good, but they do not suit every application. I dont have any Pioneer in my setup, although if I did have a CDJ or two they would be Pioneer over Denon.

And I'll say it again, you havent factored in the cost of buying the tracks legally.

You really havent though this through. While its good to spend extra and get the good stuff straight up so you have less pain later on, there is a point to which you are wasting an immense amount of money for no real purpose.

You should buy me 1000's and a DJM800. I'd put them to better use, and I've been mixing for 18 months.

#16 ViX

• Car:No more 180 :(

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

*Scoota* LOL bro alot of hobbies need in excess of 6K so f**k that it cud be worse.

TOMK go for it bro, i had turntables for like years now, i used to love record shopping but you kno it wasnt for trance :P

GL man dun listen to anyone else, if you have the cash fukn go for it most *milkshakes* be jealous that u can afford first time round.

Vix.

#17 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:43 AM

Fark, now I remember why I dont read OT anymore.

#18 Scoota

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

View PostViX, on Dec 24 2007, 01:20 AM, said:

*Scoota* LOL bro alot of hobbies need in excess of 6K so f**k that it cud be worse.

Again, as already mentioned, $6000 is ALOT of wasted money for a first setup.

He obviously hasn't thought this through very much for a spur of the moment thing as Boxhead said.

Just cos you have the cash, doesn't mean you have to blow it all on a 'hobby'

Take Boxheads advice or discuss it with him over PM's before forking out any money. You can always hire bits and pieces if you need!

#19 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

Perhaps you should have attemped this stuff when you werent off your chops on ecstasy. I can feeeeeeel the musssssssiiiiiiiiiic...

#20 Tomk

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

View PostBoxhead, on Dec 23 2007, 01:51 PM, said:

Perhaps you should have attemped this stuff when you werent off your chops on ecstasy. I can feeeeeeel the musssssssiiiiiiiiiic...

Dude im not on Xtc now and im still thinking about it, even before i did XTC i was thinking about decks and how much fun it would be... why does it always have to be negative devils advocate ideals spewed out at me? jesus, cant you be a little positive, like, Oh Tom sounds great man, I know you had made suggestions and I deeply appreciate it though does the mixer you suggested have all the same available features as the DJM800? BAR 4 channels? :lol:

#21 ViX

• Car:No more 180 :(

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

Yeh myself not being one the those guys who can afford to splurge on spontaneous ideas worth 6K plus, i still dont mind seein guys get the best gear, as long as they kno what they doin i dont see any harm in going for it.

Of course all relevant research should be done b4 going out & commiting to it.

Its all common sense really.

GL Tom.

#22 Loris

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

*laffs*

#23 blaq-boi

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

i know exactly how you feel man good luck!!! seriously
when i got my first tape deck, and i pushed play... that power came to me... it was awesome i dedicated my life to making mixtapes and learning exactly which song started when just by FEELING IT

seriously i f**king hate drugs, i hate *enchilada's* that take drugs, youse can all get f**ked... recently im my life drugs that people i know have taken jsut f**ked alot of shit up..
get of the gear

but im glad you did find your calling, even thou you were on drugs when you did, lets hope it sticks. and goodluck

#24 sid280

• Car:Patrol Car

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

TomK...

I wrote many nasty horrible things about CD DJ's before i decided to say "I'de get something different myself"

I'de get something different myself
like :

~$5000 =
2 x technic 1200's
1 x decent mixer
1 x MP3 -> Vinyl interface (needs computer)
1 x computer / screen (for mp3s)
1 x big fukn stereo from the trading post
4 x spare stylus
...and a bunch of records

The turntables/mixer hold their resale value if you CBF with it anymore, the big stereo will cost next to nothing so you dont feel bad about blowing up the speakers, the computer / screen you can re use.

Since you have an mp3 interface you can load up ALL your CD's and MP3's into the one computer and not have to worry about burning off CD's every time you want to listen to something on your computer. AND - you are using Vinyl so you have a needle to play with, and scratch, and you get a much better feel of the music.

#25 Boxhead

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

DXM06 has 5 effects, EQ kills, and all the other fancy junk you would want without having all the f**k off full features of an 800 - I'm not sure what kind of Midi controls and FX modules an 800 has... theres alot. Good sound and build quality too for the DXM06. $450 brand new. Even a Numark 5000FX will do the job of an 800 (more FX and 4 channel), and thats $900

Im not dissing the DJM800. Its just way out of a newbies league. Its even out of my league. I had a DXM06 at the start, now I have a Vestax VMC004XL. The only people I know with a DJM600/700/800 are super serious and or super rich. They have more features than the DXM06 obviously, but are you really going to use em?

Please go into a DJ store and actually research properly, because if you walk in and order all that and then say you havent mixed before or researched into the products youre bound to get a few of these o_0 ones.

#26 mreges

• Car:nissan 180sx

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hey tom i think its a great idea if its wat you wanna do, i got a few mates that are into it so i think its pretty cool.

in regards to setups go into a few stores and check out the gear they have and different packages but if you know your gonna get into it seriously i cant see a prob getting a really good set up it just saves u from having to upgrade later on.

#27 r b

• Car:370Z, Bike: D675

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

If you've got the money for it you should definitely go for the DJM800, theres no point buying a 2 channel mixer when in a few months you may want to add turntables or another cdj or 2 to your setup.

Buying a cheap beginners setup is a pretty stupid idea, you will end up spending more in the long run.

#28 yipp-e

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

lol, its so funny to hear noobs with pills. you wait in another couple of years when you realise how fake everyone is around you dude. The ppl you meet are all awesome when your on e. But you'll get over it and realise there is no depth to the conversation and they are all puddles(most of em) and dude c'mon? chinese laundry thats a dive.

#29 Danny_S15

• Car:nissan 200sx s15 spec s gt

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:20 PM

wtf, i thought you gave up ns? you were doing pretty well up until now....

#30 Scoota

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

View PostDanny_S15, on Dec 24 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

wtf, i thought you gave up ns? you were doing pretty well up until now....

:lol:

Everyone says they are gonna leave.... Then come crawling back!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!