Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Just moved back to Sydney from Los angeles - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

Just moved back to Sydney from Los angeles 

859 replies to this topic

#1 ridemyjansen

• Car:06 350z enthusiast

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

Finally, after 8 years of living in the shit hole that is L.A i'm finally home. Yeap, so I'm starting a new life here at 21 yo, and everything here's pretty new to me and i don't know anyone here so i have some questions for you guys.

1. Regarding Uni.- Is a U.S 12th grade highschool diploma sufficient to get into a N.S.W college? or will i have to take the HSC? I was working towards a degree in Business Admin in the U.S, are there any Uni's that specialize in Business, or are they all just General?

2. What's a relatively cheap suburb to move to that's still close to the city?

3. Any recommendations are far as clubs/hangouts to go to?

4. Coming from a Foreign drivers license, will i have to go through the L and P phases of getting a drivers license?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

#2 SIL_80Y

• Car:BMW

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

1. UNSW or UTS.
2. Campsie, Canterbury, ... easy access to city via train
4. You can convert your licence, but have to go thru from L - P, but you dont have to wait between period such as 1 year from L - P, 2 years from Red - Green. you can go from L - P after few weeks, and from Red - Green depend on your period of having your over sea licence.

#3 T_terror

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

How was L.A?

#4 Fish

• Car:180 sx Stock

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Been there, hell hole. It's like any aussie city, only dirty and full of people with guns who want your wallet.

#5 ridemyjansen

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

View PostFish, on Aug 30 2008, 05:28 AM, said:

Been there, hell hole. It's like any aussie city, only dirty and full of people with guns who want your wallet.

Yeah. pretty much. lol. It was an alright city before i got arrested on some bullshit technicality ( Wrong place, wrong time kinda deal) and did a year and a half in California prison for it. Maybe that's why my opinion of L.A's so biased. <_<

#6 gravy

has gone to 12ozprophet.. this place fails.

• Standard Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

View Postridemyjansen, on Aug 31 2008, 09:25 AM, said:

Yeah. pretty much. lol. It was an alright city before i got arrested on some bullshit technicality ( Wrong place, wrong time kinda deal) and did a year and a half in California prison for it. Maybe that's why my opinion of L.A's so biased. <_<
:o :o

#7 XS80ST

• Car:Toyota Soarer JZZ20

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

View Postridemyjansen, on Aug 31 2008, 08:55 AM, said:

Pretty full on. What happened?

#8 marioman

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

DAME!

#9 T_terror

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

View Postridemyjansen, on Aug 30 2008, 11:25 PM, said:

Theres a few stories in there.

lets hear em.

#10 Monstar_100

• Car:Ducati

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

View Postridemyjansen, on Aug 31 2008, 09:25 AM, said:

welcome home mate,

please do tell us about your experience.

#11 Fish

• Car:180 sx Stock

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

lol. One including being stalked whilst trying to pick up some bourito's from dell taco! :lol:

#12 ridemyjansen

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

It's a long story but i'll try to give you guys the brief version. I involuntarily and unknowingly helped someone i knew commit burglaries. He would ask me to drop him off at "Friends" houses. I'd drop him off and that was it. I did this about 10 times. I later discovered he'd robbed every house i dropped him off at. 2 days before cops raid my house, he calls me and says that he's moving out of his parents house, and asks if he can store a few boxes in my garage. I regrettably said yes.

Two days later, i wake up to hear a tow truck towing my car out of my driveway :huh: . And before i could say wtf, police cars are swarming my house and blocking off the street. I was arrested for 12 counts of Residential Burglary, and thanks to our California Governator, there are no such things as accessory to Burglary or Robbery. I was held just as liable as the burglar, despite not having a damn thing to do with it. Inside the boxes my friend had at my house was stolen property from the said houses. :yes: . Yeap, my friend set me up with the cops.

Residential Burglary: Penal code 459C carries a sentence of 2,4 and 6 years + Mandatory strike for each count., based on a judges descretion. 12 counts of the burg x 6 years . I was facing a possible life sentence.

As for the person I drove who actually did the burgs. Because he was a couple of months younger than me the cops made a deal with him first . If he turned over on me and agreed to testify in court that i drove him there, he would get minimal time. I fought my case in Van Nuys Superior Court in L.A for a year and a half. At my first court hearing, i had just turned 18 years old by the way. The District attorney said " Mr. Harris, considering your age and lack of criminal record, I'll be leinient, 8 years prison time and 3 years probation". It took me 2 judge changes, 3 district attorney changes, 3 lawyers, and over 100k in legal fees to get the deal of 1 1/2 years total time in the CDC ( California Dept. of Corrections) and 2 Strikes ( Under California law if you have 3 strikes you automatically get put in jail for 25 years to life.) If i so much as stole a candy bar in the future, that would be it.

I went from L.A county Jail. One of the worst and most dangerous jails in the world, (67 killings in 2006 alone) to Chino State Prison where my name was forfeited for CDC inamte F67718Z and where I did the bulk of my time. After Prison they transferred me to Mira Loma Det. Facility where i awaited deportation, and was two months later on the plane back to sydney (Fri. 20/08/08).

As for the guy who set me up. He did 3 weeks in jail and is now in witness protection.

So here I am now in Sydney. Thank god. Now at 21 years old, I'm starting a new life here, Still adjusting to being free, trying to put my life back together. Looking into going to Uni and finishing the degree I had to postpone in the U.S.

And I dont know anyone in this country anymore, so add me on myspace http://www.myspace.com/lukeharris

Well, that's my story, If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by ridemyjansen, 31 August 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#13 Guest_Dan The AlcoPop_*

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

.................wow.....................

thats f**ked up!

#14 tiger_s13

• Car:s14

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

HOLY SH!T!

Your story brings a new meaning to the word OWNED! (Not trying to be funny here)

1.5yrs is alot of time when you are innocent.

I recently spent alot of time with someone who has done a few years time, in Melb and QLD, he told me everything there is to know about prison, how it all works, what goes down, etc. And it doesnt sound TOO bad, he spent the majority of his time either working out or in his cell watching TV every night.

He gave me lots of pointers if i ever end up behind bars, like how to ensure you 100% will be put in your own cell, not with a cellmate, etc.

#15 ridemyjansen

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Not to negate the seriousness of Aussie Prison, but i think U.S Prison is atleast 100x worse. Considering we couldn't even have T.V's because we'd weapons out of them.lol. Everytime i went out to the recreation yard, it could crack off between the blacks and the Surenos( Southern Mexicans) within minutes, with atleast 3 stabbings daily. Tear gas, block guns, tasers and ar 15's were an everyday thing for me. I can't imagine an aussie prison being like that.

#16 ridemyjansen

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

I'm sure your friend probly gave you the same advice people gave me when i was in.

" You're gonna see a lotta shit happen on a daily basis. The cardinal rule of prison, is STFU, you did hear anything, you didnt see anything and so dont say anything". "Reputation is everything here, make a reputation for yourself and be willing to die to defend it".

I still remember my first day in Prison. Before being released into general pop. the guard said " Ok, you're running with the Islanders and asians, you guys are at war with the Surenos, the bulldogs, and the Skins, Good luck Step in." I was seriously about to shit my pants at that moment.

#17 Guest_Dan The AlcoPop_*

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Wow... So did you get into any strife at all? Make any wrong moves or say any wrong things?

#18 i want a silvia

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Heavy.

#19 ridemyjansen

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

View PostDan The AlcoPop, on Aug 31 2008, 02:26 AM, said:

Wow... So did you get into any strife at all? Make any wrong moves or say any wrong things?

I can't even count how many mistakes i made and how many times i should've been stabbed or jumped. In prison there's a strict ettiquete you have to follow. Can't cross certain rows of bunks, can't use the same toilets, sinks or phones as other races etc. There's a rule called 1 up and 1 down, where if you want to sleep someone of the same race has to be awake to stay on guard in case something cracks off. Little things like that can get you into a lot of trouble there, and i f'd up so many times, it's a miracle nothing serious happened/

#20 st.page

• Car:1993 s13 nissan 180sx

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

thats pretty harsh mate. glad to hear your ok though.

#21 Senna

• Car:180sx

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

:o

Almost like watching an episode of America's Hardest Prisons!

#22 MeZ

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

View PostFOURCD, on Aug 31 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

:o

Almost like watching an episode of America's Hardest Prisons!

but on nissansilvia
you could make a movie from this

*Movie ad guy*
1 innocent friend
1 dog *enchilada*
1.5 years in Prison
Luke Harris is just about to find out how hard it is spending time on the inside
this years feel good movie

The Bystanderrrrrrrr

:lol:

#23 tiger_s13

• Car:s14

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Your 1 up, 1 down rule, how does that work?

eg; 1 white boy is awake while 50 white boys sleep?

How many people per cell?

That prison sounds hell bad compared to the few my mate has been in.

#24 T_terror

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

Fark man sorry to hear, that sounds like the most f**k'd up situation to be in ever.

I would have pulled a runner rather than deal with going to jail for a crime i didnt commit (easier said than done, I know).

Glad to hear your out, I can see why youve put it all behind you and moved back down here, def a slower pace than the U.S.

I guess you'll be more careful with the company you keep now, right.

#25 Doodle

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

I'm surprised you managed to get here with your crimnal record, albeit innocent. Not too sure, just going on what i see on TV :P

#26 ek9

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:34 AM

View PostDoodle, on Aug 31 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

I'm surprised you managed to get here with your crimnal record, albeit innocent. Not too sure, just going on what i see on TV :P

pretty sure hes an australian citizen, as he has come home from LA.

#27 TN

• Car:S15, S14A

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

21 your still very young. criminal record is that internationally covered? i could see that being an issue later in life looking for a professional employment

#28 JohnnyJizm

• Car:180SX

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

The little shit got witness protection and is set for the rest of his life, now I can see why he put you in.

I couldn't believe the stuff the authorites let happen in the US jails, definitely 100x worse. Still, nutters are nutters.
At least here, they get lock down, so they can at least feel safe during the night.

#29 ridemyjansen

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

View Postek9, on Aug 31 2008, 07:17 AM, said:

View PostDoodle, on Aug 31 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

pretty sure hes an australian citizen, as he has come home from LA.

Yeah, i'm an australian citizen. I moved to L.A when i was 13 years old.

View PostTN, on Aug 31 2008, 07:52 AM, said:

21 your still very young. criminal record is that internationally covered? i could see that being an issue later in life looking for a professional employment

My criminal record doesn't leave U.S soil.

#30 ridemyjansen

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

1 up,1 down is Only for dorm settings. If you have a cell you can pretty much sleep whenever you want to, unless you have a shady cellie.
Usually people of the same race are bunked up together, ie: 2 whites to an over/underbunk. While the upper bunk sleeps the lower watches out and vice versa. At night, the representatives of each race get together and make an agreement that there will be no attacks that night. If not, everyone stays awake and you're assed out if you wanna sleep.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!