Auto vs. Manual 

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Auto vs. Manual (30 member(s) have cast votes)

What is better in YOUR opinion for 4x4

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 e30_Project

• Car:Hilux Surf & BMW e30

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

Discuss!

#2 Eevo

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

poll needed

manual

unless ur a milf housewife taking the kids to school or going shopping

#3 msports180

• Car:ER34, R36, GU

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hahaha this is gonna go for a while.

It depends on what your using it for, as there is so many different types of 4wding wth different needs.

But you can use both really for what ever ur doing, personally, id have an auto for the ease of it if its also a daily. But mine isnt a daily, so i prefer a manual.

#4 e30_Project

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I meant what do you prefer in a 4x4 situation, not for daily driving etc! Poll added :)

I haven't driven a manual offroad before, but from what 4x4ing i've done in my Surf (which is Auto) i've found it's great, i can concentrate more on what lines to take and have no momentum loss up hills if a gearchange is needed!

#5 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

View Poste30_Project, on 10 March 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

I meant what do you prefer in a 4x4 situation, not for daily driving etc! Poll added :)

I haven't driven a manual offroad before, but from what 4x4ing i've done in my Surf (which is Auto) i've found it's great, i can concentrate more on what lines to take and have no momentum loss up hills if a gearchange is needed!

if your driving a manual you should already be in the gear you want and at the speed you want long before the hill. gear changes on hills (up or down) are undesirable as if you miss a gear and start rolling backwards youve got bucklys hope in going fowards again, and going down hills backwards (especially if its got ruts/rocks) isnt overly fun, especially if its a big hill

#6 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Manual 110%

Driven both in some serious 4x4 situation and manual was the most 'fun'. Auto was boring as f**k

#7 e30_Project

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

View Post-Truck-, on 10 March 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

if your driving a manual you should already be in the gear you want and at the speed you want long before the hill. gear changes on hills (up or down) are undesirable as if you miss a gear and start rolling backwards youve got bucklys hope in going fowards again, and going down hills backwards (especially if its got ruts/rocks) isnt overly fun, especially if its a big hill

Yeah but what if something happens and you have to change gear etc

#8 import_me_up

• Car:GC galant 4G63

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

i havent done any offroading in an auto so cant comment on their potential either way. but i like manual for the feel of your actually controlling more of whats going on and makes me feel somewhat more skillfull than the regular low level im used to.....haha

2 cents added Posted Image

#9 DR JOSH

• Car:DR30

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

For the type of 4x4 we have in sa I prefer manual. However if we had big rock crawls and so on like they do in qld and such i would be saying auto.

My next 4by is soon to be auto but in saying that i have never had any dramas in my manual ute even on the odd occasion of wrong gear selection

#10 adubz

• Car:s13 & Toyota Hilux

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

View Post_Lucas, on 10 March 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

Manual 110%

Driven both in some serious 4x4 situation and manual was the most 'fun'. Auto was boring as f**k

agreed.. although i've never owned an auto.. i love the control of a manual <_<

#11 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

View Poste30_Project, on 10 March 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

View Post-Truck-, on 10 March 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah but what if something happens and you have to change gear etc
Then you change gears like a man
Sure it can f**k your momentum up if you miss the gear, but it's sure as shit gets the heart pumping more than an auto up/down changing

#12 Zakk

• Car:Scout 4x4

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

my 4x4 is a 5.8 litre V8 and an auto. the engine in my scout was designed for the International ACCO truck and has so much torque that if it was manual i'd probably just use 2nd and top anyway. i think the auto is better for 4wding, provided your engine has enough power (flexabillity) to cope..

#13 SierraDan

• Car:Sierra

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Auto for me.

Manual does the job and is "more fun" but the vehicle control with auto is unsurpassed. You can really concentrate on what youre driving and reduced jerking from a manual shift and riding the clutch while climbing. The auto also effectively doubles the torque to the wheels.

Auto and adequate gearing equals capability.

#14 Guest_Johnnypawyc_*

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

but im stuck with an auto Sterling as finding a manual one is proving to be extrememly hard, mind you the autos arent exactly common either...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!