Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Diffuser question! - Hardtuned.net

Diffuser question! 

10 replies to this topic

#1 koguchi

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I want to buy another diffuser for my 270EX II

I already have an omni directional cap diffuser, which is...sorta ok.

I want to get a somewhat directional diffuser which also makes the light a lot softer and be able to avoid blown highlights/hotspots.

Just wanting to know from those with exp in this area, which would be the better option for this.

Here are 2 examples of what I am looking at, they need to be small to fit behind benches and other objects for RE photography.. so I can take multiple images and merge them together.
I also want to be able to use it outside for night shots using the same technique. One of the main reasons behind this is I want an alternative to HDR which needs a bit of processing and loses clarity.

http://www.ebay.com....=item56467a0ed1
Blow diffuser

http://www.ebay.com....=item4cfaaf3d27
Softbox diffuser

They appear to be nice cheap options, but perhaps you guys may know of a better option.

Cheers.

Edited by koguchi, 18 November 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#2 Siddr20

• Car:Chaser JZX100

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

I personally think its a waste of money buying these things.

But read this thread I created a while ago on another forum: http://forum.jdmstyl...k-it-in-the-bin

I will quote incase you cant see the thread:

Before I begin this is just my personal opinion and my 2 cents regarding those stofen diffusers or other similar kinds.

So last night I was at a wedding event (prewedding stuff.. indian weddings.. anyways) and one of the guests had a cheap ebay diffuser and came up to me and asked why I dont use it. I simply told him its a waste of money, and all its good for is wasting the flash batteries.

He then tried to tell me that its great for diffusing light and softening the shadows.

So I told him that putting a piece of plastic in front is not going to change the light source. What will change the light source and to soften the light is a softbox or bouncing it off a white wall. It acts as a gaint softbox and will soften the light. Hence why you bounce the light indoors.

Then the next thing he says to me is then why is it so famous and why does every photographer use it. Guess marketing really does work I replied.

All the cheap diffuser does is cut down the power of the light reaching the subject.

He then showed me his pic and goes look at the nice soft light. I then told him that offcourse its soft. You just bounced the light of the ceiling. He was puzzled at this stage.

But keen to hear your thoughts on this. Get some discussion going.

#3 koguchi

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

hmmm interesting...I guess I will just see how I go with the off camera flash as it is with its el cheapo $2 ebay diffuser..

I was really hoping that those diffusers I posted above would give me some sort of direction control, perhaps I can just play around with peices of cardboard and see if that works baha

Thanks for the reply.

#4 019

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

Snoots & gobo's give excellent directional control. Not sure if that's what your after tho.

Edited by bike19, 21 November 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#5 koguchi

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yeah I think a snoot might be a little too directional, perhaps with this cardboard idea I can make a mini barn door type of thing :)

#6 tefu

• Car:Silvia S15

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

bought 1 of these as well.... tbh... I never use it, it actually leave marks on my speedlite.. when you put it on (the plastic one)

#7 TheLostLegend

• Car:Sil80 SR20DET

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

must say i do use one of those little white plastic diffusers and i do see a difference in the shots for me, it does slightly get rid of hot spots. Also shooting cars you get a nicer lighting i fide without it number plates become un-readable and there is always that noticable section where the light hits the car alot more. Though having said that i have an actual big portable soft box i take to all model shoots with me now. i really only use the plastic diffuser on beach shoots where its just way to bright because the model wasnt available at the right time of day or at night time car events because moving around a big soft box is no where near possible haha

#8 FST513

• Car:Evo VIII MR

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

I went to an arts and craft store.
Bought a A4 piece of white foam. Cut it up. And use it as a massive bounce card. Best $1 i ever spent.

Yes, it probably looks budget, but i guarantee it gives awesome fill in there face with no hotspots.

#9 koguchi

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hmm that sounds interesting.

I wonder if there is something I could make up to apply this to real estate photos, I want to fill small less lighted areas with a soft light..for some reason my flash does not want to go onto a lower setting, its just one huge blast of light :(

#10 MaTBoY

• Car:R32

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

A soft box works through being larger than the subject. Sidd is right, if it looks like its helpng its because its cutting down the power and u could get the same result by halving your power and increasing battery life.

#11 koguchi

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I ended up making a box from a DIY guide online, I guess its sorta like a snoot, but a bit bigger/broader...bounced the flash off the wall with that attached, appeared to get rid of 90% of the harsh shadow, when I get a chance I will do a comparrison picture...really happy with how it turned out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!