Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Solar Systems - Hardtuned.net

Jump to content


- - - - -

Solar Systems 

Whos gotem? Is it worth it?
27 replies to this topic

#1 Import S13

  • Joined:20-September 04
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:MY11 WRX & R32 Sedan

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Just wondering who's got decent solar systems on their house and do they save much? What are you saving and what electrical company are you with?

Eyeing off a 5kw system for both mine and also for my parents place but unsure on the savings. Will be very good quality system though.

I understand that the initial cost can out weigh the savings for some time but that's not my issue. Also getting a great deal on it so that also helps.

Cheers

#2 Chappy

  • Joined:03-November 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:2009 V36 370GT Sedan

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

I put a Solar System on the roof of my last house and the result was not pretty.

I used a scale model of our home solar system, small enough for its intended use.

Almost instantly the intense heat of the sun vaporized the roof of my house causing the sun to fall on the floor and proceed to melt a hole to the core of the earth.
With no sun to orbit, the planets began to fly off and lay waste to the surrounding neighbourhood.
Mercury went rolling down the footpath before reaching a corner and embedding itself in the side of a parked car.
Venus landed in a backyard pool 2 blocks away and turned what water was left after the initial splash into a bubbling acidic spa.
Earth went through the wall of our local convenience store, pinning the attendant under the pacific ocean.
Mars flew into a nearby nature reserve, bowling over a few trees along the way
Jupiter rolled onto a nearby main road, cleaning up about 50 cars before coming to a stop in a ditch a k and a half away.
Saturn made a break for a nearby car yard where the stones that made up its rings turned the merchandise into something you might find after a drive by shooting.
Uranus quite ironically landed on a public toilet block, levelling it.
I never did find out what happened to neptune, i can only assume it wound up in the ocean.

I would not recommend you try the same thing, even if they offer you a good deal, i was lucky to avoid jail time.

Unless you were talking about a Solar POWER System, in which case i have no idea.

Edited by Chappy, 04 August 2013 - 11:42 PM.


#3 harris.

  • Joined:01-June 04
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:180sx SR POWWAAAHH

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostChappy, on 04 August 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

I put a Solar System on the roof of my last house and the result was not pretty.

I used a scale model of our home solar system, small enough for its intended use.

Almost instantly the intense heat of the sun vaporized the roof of my house causing the sun to fall on the floor and proceed to melt a hole to the core of the earth.
With no sun to orbit, the planets began to fly off and lay waste to the surrounding neighbourhood.
Mercury went rolling down the footpath before reaching a corner and embedding itself in the side of a parked car.
Venus landed in a backyard pool 2 blocks away and turned what water was left after the initial splash into a bubbling acidic spa.
Earth went through the wall of our local convenience store, pinning the attendant under the pacific ocean.
Mars flew into a nearby nature reserve, bowling over a few trees along the way
Jupiter rolled onto a nearby main road, cleaning up about 50 cars before coming to a stop in a ditch a k and a half away.
Saturn made a break for a nearby car yard where the stones that made up its rings turned the merchandise into something you might find after a drive by shooting.
Uranus quite ironically landed on a public toilet block, levelling it.
I never did find out what happened to neptune, i can only assume it wound up in the ocean.

I would not recommend you try the same thing, even if they offer you a good deal, i was lucky to avoid jail time.

Unless you were talking about a Solar POWER System, in which case i have no idea.

you win the internets chappy :lol:

#4 Philbert

  • Joined:26-November 12
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

I have a 3.8kW system, makes 12.7kW per day over 16 months. Highest in summer is 24kW, lowest in winter is about 4kw. In terms of savings I do not have a feed in meter, but an old style meter that spins backwards. It has made 6100kW over the life of it so far, so about $2k in power. I think it's worth it. 3.5 year payback is good. Not worrying about running air conditioning 24/7 in summer is great, power bill was $200 (I have off peak for water heater and supply charges). Last bill was $400, that's running a blow heater 4 hours a day.

#5 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think there worth it. we have a solar water heater but I wouldnt have anything to compare it to.
But I do have a friend that has 5kw solar, he is paying 100 per month on repayments. Ducted air con running 24/7 His bill was cut in half, the money he is saving is paying off the solar panels.

so try get a good deal from your electricity company, and if i were to do the same thing i would go with energy australia because there a big name.

#6 Philbert

  • Joined:26-November 12
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Best results are if you have a north facing roof so the panels get the sunlight over the full day. My house is north west facing, so the system average of 16.6kW/day does not apply as there is an efficiency loss. If you can get the payback under 4 years you're doing OK, as it is power is only going up, and there's only so much you can to reduce your bill. I have LED bulbs meaning every light on in the house is less than 120 watts. I also have 6kW of battery backup off a separate solar system I put together for about $2k that runs outdoor and indoor lighting. Solar is good, get it while the rebates are in place.

#7 Shakey Bones

  • Joined:18-September 05
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S15

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

I've got a 3kw system on my place. I got it back when solar systems were expensive (16k for a 16 pannels and a 4kw upgradable inverter). The upside is I'm locked into a 50c per KW rebate from the QLD government until 2023 or something.

I save on avereage around $350-$400 a month depending on our electricity usage. Problem is I like my warm yellow down lights and as everyone knows they are the worst offending lights you can have, and because we have 4 adults living here I have the hot water on the 24 hour tariff (I am considering the 18 hour off peak tariff). Still the bill comes in at $700-$900 a quarter (it is a large house and we are computer geeks.)

Honestly the window for Queenslanders was the last few months of the Labor leadership before the Liberals got in power when systems dropped to $3k-5k and still had the 50c a KW but now it has dropped to just 10c so really apart from looking good they don't really do much.

The best thing would be to have a lot of solar pannels but instead of feeding back into the grid they charged batteries that powered your house at night. So essentially get off the grid then you are safe from these bullshit power prices.

#8 Red_Gem

  • Joined:18-October 04
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:gtr

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

^^ I just got warm yellow LED downlights for my place. You don't need halogen

#9 TheApothecary

  • Joined:10-May 11
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Parents spent 17k on their 7.5kw system. We're pretty frugal with power (well, with lights at least we are....), 1 Kitchen Fridge/freezer, 1 Fridge sized freezer and another fridge for drinks. 1 computer on 24/7, 1 smallish LCD tv on 24/7. some other computers/laptops/phone charging on intermittently, kettle boiling 24/7. House faces south, solar panels on north and west side although there's a big f**k off "heritage" gumtree blocking 1/3 of them (an estimate probably a bit less).

And our power bill is on average about $0 with some credits occasionally (it was $700 quarterly).

Hope that helps or gives some indication if they're useful or not?

Edited by TheApothecary, 11 August 2013 - 11:37 AM.


#10 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

That works out to be 6 years to pay it off using the money your saving.

If I find a good deal for a 5kw system im jumping on it straight away

#11 ichi-go

  • Joined:03-May 05
  • Location:Australia WA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Is it even worth it? Not sure bout other states but WA is getting fk all rebate (used to be 74cents and now it's down to 20 or 12 cents) which means you probably need to change the panels before you get your moneys worth

#12 TN

  • Joined:31-October 02
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:S15, S14A

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I've spent the last couple of days asking around for quotes for a solar system. Budget around 8.5k. Looking for a SMA invertor and around 7kw, 8kw system.

#13 TheApothecary

  • Joined:10-May 11
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

My parents were promised quality german solar panels but got cheap shit from Shenzhen of course... so if there's any promises get it in paper not over the phone.

#14 Fire_Child22

  • Joined:12-May 07
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:S14a 200SX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostTheApothecary, on 12 August 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

My parents were promised quality german solar panels but got cheap shit from Shenzhen of course... so if there's any promises get it in paper not over the phone.

see, it still could be from a German factory as Germans do use Chinese labor... but the trap is "German design" for the ripped off brands ;)

#15 TheApothecary

  • Joined:10-May 11
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

The boxes were covered in Chinese characters and "Made in China" somewhere, no German even came into it.

#16 Fire_Child22

  • Joined:12-May 07
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:S14a 200SX

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostTheApothecary, on 13 August 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

The boxes were covered in Chinese characters and "Made in China" somewhere, no German even came into it.

i don't think you understand what i'm trying to say.

#17 TheApothecary

  • Joined:10-May 11
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yep. Okay :)

#18 X-ISLED

  • Joined:19-April 10
  • Location:Australia VIC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

The key with solar is to work out what your consumption is and base your system on how much power you use to lower your bill.

The problem is that everyone see's solar as an income. If you use 20Kw a day, you want a system to generate about 25kw a day, just in case you have a high day of usage.

You can save a heap of money on bills if you do your research and get the correct system for your home. Even if you get a low Buy back, you can still save money.

All Panels and Inverters these days are made in China. Even if a German company own them.

#19 Kairazy

  • Joined:19-May 04
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:r34

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I got a 1kw solar a few years back and has been taking around $100 off our bills which takes the edhe off.

Ours is a north facing roof.

The system cost us nothing so it has definately paid for itself :lol:

#20 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

heres a handy website I just found

http://www.solarquotes.com.au./

#21 mowbuss

  • Joined:13-August 08
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostChappy, on 04 August 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:


I used a scale model of our home solar system, small enough for its intended use.


You bastard! I was going to say some BS about the planets orbiting the sun kind of solar system. Now all I have is this stupid reply to show how angry I am that someone got there first :'(

QQ

#22 Shakey Bones

  • Joined:18-September 05
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S15

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Can anyone tell me for their state how do your feed in tarrif rebates work?

Here in Queensland before the Libs got in it was set up so your house uses the solar power during the day and if it produced excess power it is fed into the grid with a feed in tarrif of 42c paid by the government and 8c paid by the power company (total of 50c per KWh).

Not that has dropped to 10c paid by government so 18c per KWh. (unless you were already signed onto the 42c scheme, in that case you have that rebate until 2022)

How do the rebates work in other states?

Edited by Shakey Bones, 16 August 2013 - 01:55 PM.


#23 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

"In October 2010 the former NSW Government announced changes to the Solar Bonus Scheme reducing tariff payments from 60 cents to 20 cents and introducing a scheme capacity limit of 300 MW."

#24 Chappy

  • Joined:03-November 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:2009 V36 370GT Sedan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

View Postmowbuss, on 15 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostChappy, on 04 August 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:


I used a scale model of our home solar system, small enough for its intended use.


You bastard! I was going to say some BS about the planets orbiting the sun kind of solar system. Now all I have is this stupid reply to show how angry I am that someone got there first :'(

QQ

I'm glad i wasn't the only one to see it :lol:

#25 TN

  • Joined:31-October 02
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:S15, S14A

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostShakey Bones, on 16 August 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Can anyone tell me for their state how do your feed in tarrif rebates work?

Here in Queensland before the Libs got in it was set up so your house uses the solar power during the day and if it produced excess power it is fed into the grid with a feed in tarrif of 42c paid by the government and 8c paid by the power company (total of 50c per KWh).

Not that has dropped to 10c paid by government so 18c per KWh. (unless you were already signed onto the 42c scheme, in that case you have that rebate until 2022)

How do the rebates work in other states?

Here in SA the current FIT is 26c. It drops down to 9c after September 30th 2013.

I just signed an agreement with the installer for 8kw, SMA 8000tl inverter, 32x 250w Trina Honey Panels - $9.2k

#26 booostin

  • Joined:01-June 06
  • Location:Australia QLD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Great idea in theory, but the government have got their paw prints allover it. Its still a good idea but you should be allowed to have as many panels as you want imo

#27 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostWrexy, on 16 August 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

"In October 2010 the former NSW Government announced changes to the Solar Bonus Scheme reducing tariff payments from 60 cents to 20 cents and introducing a scheme capacity limit of 300 MW."
Spoke to solar guy today when he gave me a quote.

He said it's not true that they pay 20 cents, but only something like 7 cents.

My roof is a weird shape and already have solar water heating, and it's a double story home, all I can fit are 6 more panels making it a 1.5 kw system $3300

#28 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Saving me approx $100 from every bill. Going to get more quotes before I decide





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

    By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

    Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

    Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

    Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!