Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation, Evaluation and Testing - Hardtuned.net
←  Nissan Silvia (nissansilvia.com)

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation,...

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 11 Jan 2014

It has been 5 years since my last developments in SR20det turbochargers. Which was sadly unsuccessful during the time, from lack of experience, skills, as well as general acknowledgement in modifications.

Understanding few members might have issues withour discontinued turbochargers sold between 2006~2009, those are mainly the imported TR25, TR28 and TR28KAI models. I have been sorting and still happy to offer discounted repairing services.

All turbochargers of ours now are build in Australia with all engineering work done by qualified and experienced local engineers.

During those years most of my time and efforts has been spent in developing and building RB based turbochargers, mainly in the field of high flowing and bolton applications. We have made couple of very good turbos, the venture is on going, successful, with lots of experiences earned.

Our SAU RB based turbocharger development thread is at:

http://www.skylinesa...vice-continued/

Back to topic.
The level of performance on my current T2x based turbochargers are to be improved, more specifically in working with SR20dets engines. The goal is creating a bolton replacement, that can produce reasonably good power and response working with ordinary engines using commonly available mods.

Ensuring a successful out come, I have purchased a S14.5 with engine hardware built by Forced Motorworx and body restored by Motorware.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because SR20det's output can vary significantly due to the type of cams used as well as other generalized mods such as exhaust, intercooler, induction and so fourth. Results and comments below are only referring to what I currently have, my performance related modifications are:

BC Stage 2 cams, VCT has been cancelled.
Drift Exhaust manifold (low mount)
RAS (rocker arm stoppers)
CP pistons
BC rods
Garrett 30-71 Turbocharger in .64 rear housing. Note this is the proper GT3071 with a 60mm turbine, not the Cropped 56mm version.
700cc Nismo injectors
Nistune chip
Custom air box with K&N filter
PWR radiator and intercooler (intercooler is inside engine bay so no chassis cutting)
Spit fire coil packs
Varex exhaust system
100cell race cat
Z32 Air Flow Meter
Gizzmo boost controller

The GT3071 might have been a choice for members whom's targeting outputs between 230~260rwkws. This particular one has maxed at 257rwkws peeking 21psi of boost on P98 fuel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even thou the peek power is acceptable for the size of this turbocharger, I found it is horribly laggy to drive. So it has been replaced with a turbocharger that I've engineered earlier for RB20det motors: The ATR43SS1 Billet version. A T2x turbine housing was selected for the OEM manifold and dump, knowing the standard .64 rear might be restrictive, a .86 A/R sized housing with a large 38mm internal gate has been machined to suit.
Posted Image

Car was dynoed again very soon after. Making 258rwkws peeking 22psi. Not much gain in power, how ever the boost response is now improved, so is the down low power and torque:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The car is now better to drive on the road compare to what it was. I'm in the process of further evaluations with a customized T2x turbocharger based on my opinions in improving its current performance. Results in addition will be uploaded once evaluations conducted.
Edited by HyperGear, 12 January 2014 - 10:39 AM.

tumbleweed's Photo tumbleweed 12 Jan 2014

Looking forward to any news/updates , are you only working on the one turbo or releasing a whole line up?

ru55kj's Photo ru55kj 12 Jan 2014

would be interesting to see the results of 64 housing and or sr20 with vct.

180sxnit's Photo 180sxnit 12 Jan 2014

Can't wait to get my hypergear turbo :) ment to be arriving soon :)

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 12 Jan 2014

^
Yes work is almost done, will dispatch early coming week.

The current ATR28 G1 ~ G4 series are ok performers for the HP.
I would like to build some thing perhaps G2's power with G1's response and etc. Similar to the SS and SS Alpha series for RB25det engines.

beersandwich's Photo beersandwich 12 Jan 2014

yeah something for stock cammed engines would be great :)

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 12 Jan 2014

The cam change in SRs makes a pretty big difference to how the engine performs. Which also affects the response substantially. For example this is from our ATR28SS1PU turbocharger, which is a super responsive turbo originally made for RB25det motor. I've made one in a .64 rear for a Friend's S13 Red top SR 180sx.

Those are results from Stock cams V Tomei 272 / 12mm cams. Same turbocharger. Pump 98 fuel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unlike RB25det motors, stock cams are good enough for alot of power, which mine have reached 435rwkws on E85. So I rarely have a customer whom have aftermarket cams installed, which makes hp prediction is quite simple. I have personally experienced with Tomei's 264 / 9 mm cams however, and it did not make much differences in performance apart from adding lag.

SR20det is different, most of them needs aftermarket profiled cams to make decent power, and there are so many different varieties available. It is there for harder to prediction an accurate outcome. Hopefully I will learn more about them as this project progresses.

My Current Cams are BC, on paper they are 264 / 12.06 lift, majority of SR customers has Tomei drop in pon cams that appears to be in 256 / 11.5mm. Technically mine should make slightly more top end with abit more lag. I'm in the process of finding standard cams gears to restore factory VCT, hopefully makes a noticeable difference to its current boost behavior. Please send in a PM If you have a set for sale and based in Vic.
Edited by HyperGear, 12 January 2014 - 10:38 PM.

180sxnit's Photo 180sxnit 13 Jan 2014

View PostHyperGear, on 12 January 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

^
Yes work is almost done, will dispatch early coming week.

The current ATR28 G1 ~ G4 series are ok performers for the HP.
I would like to build some thing perhaps G2's power with G1's response and etc. Similar to the SS and SS Alpha series for RB25det engines.
awesome thanks :)........... g2 with g1 response would be a good option especially for people who aren't after massive power ( something i would consider at a later stage as a rebuild option)... would this be done using a billet wheel?

Aunt Silvia's Photo Aunt Silvia 13 Jan 2014

I would buy a hg turbo except every dyno graph i see is all squiggly and jumpy and looks like absolute shit.

blingcommander's Photo blingcommander 13 Jan 2014

thats coz the graph is squashed making it look more dramatic.

nothing to do with the turbo. here is the dyno of my 1jz with a hypergear turbo
http://www.nissansil...98364_thumb.jpg

Dose Pipe Sutututu's Photo Dose Pipe Sutututu 13 Jan 2014

View PostAunt Silvia, on 13 January 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I would buy a hg turbo except every dyno graph i see is all squiggly and jumpy and looks like absolute shit.

it's call no smoothing applied, other dyno graphs you see have so much smoothing put on it the graph looks like trajectory path of a missile aiming at Osama's asshole

AC-S13's Photo AC-S13 13 Jan 2014

1500Nm of torque?

Dose Pipe Sutututu's Photo Dose Pipe Sutututu 13 Jan 2014

View PostAC-S13, on 13 January 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

1500Nm of torque?

that's tractive effort, you need to convert it to nm.. which is dependant on all sorts of shit like wheel size, final drive, etc.

Skepticism's Photo Skepticism 13 Jan 2014

How are the VNT turbos going, tried any on SR?

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 13 Jan 2014

Well the curve is joint of dots representing at give RPM the engine is doing what. They all naturally "bumpy" , then it can be smoothed through dyno software which present it with an output of perfectly smooth curves. Doing R&D it is important to know what the engine is doing during the run, so my readings are raw.

The next one up is the VNT Alpha model, if every thing works, it should knock 300rpms of lag while not affecting top end power.
Edited by HyperGear, 13 January 2014 - 04:24 PM.

MoJizzy's Photo MoJizzy 14 Jan 2014

Can vouch for hypergear turbo, quality product and excellent support from a local guy.

Marko's Photo Marko 15 Jan 2014

keen to see how this progresses.

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 15 Jan 2014

here is a quick peak of a brand new ATR28SS1.5 Alpha prototype, which took me a weeks of spare time to complete. Note this is the internally gated version.

Posted Image

It is currently a bolton turbocharger for SR20det motors. After a little bit of driving around it is definitely more responsive then the SS1, even the CHRA configuration is larger.

There are alot of reasons on paper that it will not or will work properly, Dyno tune tomorrow morning. Hopefully the working theory proves its ground.

MoJizzy's Photo MoJizzy 21 Jan 2014

Any updates on the dyno testing?

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 22 Jan 2014

Not all parts with the prototype worked as expected, at least I found out what didn't work, still lots of work needs to be done. But whats confirmed is the SS Alpha system did work internally gated and made a difference in boost response. Further testing will proceed in a week or two.

Posted Image

Still chasing for stock VCT cam gears. Please PM if any one in Vic has a good set for sale.

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 05 Feb 2014

Here is the latest result for the ATR28SS1.5 in .64 from today, from my Sr20det S14 with No VCT controller.

Maxed out at 270rwkws, 20psi by 3850RPMs. Pump 98 fuel

Posted Image

Posted Image

VS the Garrett 3071 and SS1 in .86 rear housing:

Pink light blue: GT3071
Red: ATR28SS1 in .86 Rear.
Thick blue: ATR28SS1.5 in .64 rear

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would say this turbocharger is probably good for 260rwkws internally gated. We added heaps more boost in last run how ever it didn't hold and only picked up 10kws.

TurbostyleR's Photo TurbostyleR 05 Feb 2014

are you using a t3 style exhaust housing for the ATR28SS1.5 in .64 rear

AE86557's Photo AE86557 06 Feb 2014

nice, is there a rough price for this turbo?

HyperGear's Photo HyperGear 06 Feb 2014

This particular one is in .64 T2x print. Internally gated.

tumbleweed's Photo tumbleweed 08 Feb 2014

So if i was chasing about 230rwkw , would i be best off getting a atr 28 g1 or g2? Will upgrade cam shafts , but would like some head room for a bit more power later on. Would like boost to come on as early as possible.

pur40m's Photo pur40m 08 Feb 2014

Well the atr28ss1 would suit you perfect but in a .64 rear
His trail on his s14 made 258kw in a .86 rear so with a .64 rear will be down 5-10kw peak but pick up a lot of bottom end power and be on boost quicker which should make around 250kw which is 20kw above your goal 230kw which gives you abit of headroom

tumbleweed's Photo tumbleweed 09 Feb 2014

Excellent. Better go to work to earn some coin to get one!

pur40m's Photo pur40m 09 Feb 2014

Tech is getting better and better these days and these have been tried and proven by himself to perform better than your std kando td05h or t518z and other garret gt2871r or gt3071r low mount options
I've even tried out the atr28g2 .64 fnt which is a older design and yet it still out performed my kando td05h18g which is a hypergear turbo and is still on the car now
I've already bought one of his atr28ss1.5 and yet to bolt it on and get it tuned as I've been busy lately
But it should perform even better

tumbleweed's Photo tumbleweed 09 Feb 2014

I was looking at a td05 which would make the power I want but they seem too laggy for what I want from the car. Garrett have some goods options but it comes with a higher price tag. Look after the smaller companies I reckon , especially being local. And the results speak volumes.

-Gaz-'s Photo -Gaz- 09 Feb 2014

Thank you to Hyper gear for posting your testing options and results here.