Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
ECU Pin 53 - Speed Wire - What is the output? - Hardtuned.net

ECU Pin 53 - Speed Wire - What is the output? 

4 replies to this topic

#1 ActionDan

• Car:S13 SlowVia

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

I need to tap into speed for a project I'm working on.

I was under the impression that PIN 53 on a CA18DET ECU is the wire from the cluster that gives the ECU it's speed info, as the box talks directly to the cluster then the cluster to the ECU (cutting this wire disables the speed limiter).

When testing this with a multimeter, with the car idling it fluctuates between .2 and 5.2 or so volts.

When in gear and at speeds from 0-100km/h the output is almost 2.6-2.8V which means it's not a straight voltage signal being used.

The Apexi RSM taps this wire for its speed info also, but what is it doing with it?

Is this actually a pulsed signal?

Edited by ActionDan, 16 October 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#2 ActionDan

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

And if it is a pulsed signal, does anyone know the details? Sine or square wave, rough duration etc so I can buy a suitable sensor.

I don't have an oscilloscope.

#3 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

I only know the specifics of the 5-speed SR20 speed sensor, but I expect that it is very similar to the CA sensor with regard to design. I recall having read of people running the two against the opposite cluster, with the reading being too high or too low, indicating that the sensors are the same design but with different frequency output.

The SR20 sensor outputs a sine wave (AC voltage), and at 50kmph it generates something like 280Hz @3.7V AC . I lost the exact numbers (I recently installed cruise control in my 180sx), but I can test mine again if it helps you in some way. Ideally you would just buy a mid-low tier multimeter that measures frequency, which is what I did:

https://www.jaycar.c...imeter/p/QM1321

Another option is this:

https://www.jaycar.c...rature/p/QM1323

#4 ActionDan

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Pretty sure they're similar.

Jaycar sell a Frequency Relay so I'll grab that and wire it up.

Cheers

#5 ActionDan

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

That does help, as the Jaycar sensor has a max range of 500Hz

After some initial testing though, I can't get it do anything at all.

Jaycar are chasing up internally as the instructions are very convoluted and there's nothing mentioned about the 3rd adjustable pot at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!