Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Weekend/Public Holiday Penalty Rates - Thoughts? - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

- - - - -

Weekend/Public Holiday Penalty Rates - Thoughts? 

38 replies to this topic

#31 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

its simple economics, people need to get paid for their time and produce, if your a tight arse there's plenty of alternatives, like cook for yourself...

#32 Shakey Bones

• Car:S15

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Don't like the cost of doing business then close your doors. Thats what banks do, the government, and big business. Its a public holiday because society (the public) have deemed it as a day off, in other words you aren't supposed to be working. It is a holiday after all. I know I don't go on holiday and work.

If you CHOOSE to open your doors on a day that is supposed to be a holiday then the cost of doing so is finding staff to man those hours. If that means paying more then that is the cost of doing business.

However again I support free market capitalism. So if the cafe wants to add a tariff because the cost of doing business is high then so be it. The free market will decide with their purchases on the day.

My objection is anyone anywhere having a bitch about it.

Edited by Shakey Bones, 23 January 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#33 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

Bloke, on 22 January 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Also, I'm way less-inclined to tip if the waiter/staff in general suggest it, or even have a tip jar on the counter. If you're expecting tips, the whole box and dice would want to be above outstanding. Otherwise, get f**ked.

but if everyone tips and everyone is outstanding (just run with it as thought experiment) where have we got to?

#34 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

increasing his rates by 2.75x purely based on the wage increase is hilarious. he is essentially implying that wages are his only expenses. No rent/rates, no bills, no materials.

Further to that, he also doesnt mention that regular rates would be dropped 25% (as per the award changes) while public holidays attract the new award of 2.75x. when you do the math on the entire amount of regular work days and public holidays, over a year, hes actually paying 23% LESS than he would pay under the current laws to employ someone.

dude is having a whinge because his public holiday profits might be slightly less than his regular day profits. boo f**kin hoo champ.

#35 180sxnit

• Car:S15

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Flying180, on 21 January 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Bloke, on 21 January 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Limit your operating hours, for starters.

Work out your dead days or hours, and just not open. No good flogging a dead horse.

Work out where you can save money long term. Drinks fridges are a good start. Been in heaps of places where there's multiple fridges, with like 6 in TOTAL drinks in them. Waste of electricity, waste of floor space (could put something else there that costs nothing to run, i.e. a shelving unit with some other product line on it).

Being a small business owner myself, I'm not yet an expert, but I only have to spend 10 minutes in places like these, to see where all the money is being pissed away. Frankly, a lot of it is wasted on smoke-and-mirrors shit, to give that illusion that the joint is good, turns over good money, etc. You don't need 3 wait staff, if you've only got 6 tables :lol:

Although good in theory, there is a catch with limiting hours in the award wage. You have to provide a minimum of 5hrs work.
Will people want to work 5hr shifts?
Maybe if you have twice as many student employees? But then you have the added administration cost of processing double the amount of pays.

You're right though, there are definitely ways these cafes can save money!!
not sure about cafe awards but general retail minimum shift you can offer is 3 hours

I cant talk from a Cafe profit perspective only rather a general retail one... wages and employee penalty rates do have a decently large effect on a business, However if you manage your hours using the correct procedures ie looking at peak periods and adjusting staffing needs accordingly you can better manage the cost, Also looking in to putting employees from casual to part time/full time and so on.

Biggest two problems retail businesses face is cost of goods and rent, In retail buying goods from local suppliers is very expensive in most cases which is why companies are sourcing and importing their own goods to ensure their margin is as high as possible.

its all about finding the right place for the right amount of rent and build from there but it is hard times lately in all businesses.

Edited by 180sxnit, 24 January 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#36 stupidlikeafox

• Car:S14

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

The general public always seems to have a strong misunderstanding of the difference between gross sales and net profit.

#37 Biggie

• Car:96' Type X

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

i'm working right now getting penalty rates,

if they are asking to go above and beyond to the point it affects your personal time / lifestyle is it no fair that you should be compensated for that?

#38 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

If you've already worked a decent week, yes, but if I'm honest, anytime I get penalty rates I'm cheering, it's never like "oh I deserve to earn $50+ per hour, why am I stuck at work?"

2.5x normal wage is overkill.

#39 DannyR34

• Car:R34 GT-T

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

seriously the whole point of opening a cafe on a public holiday is because EVERYONE IS ON HOLIDAYS ie, more people to come into their shop to buy there shit.
Cafe owners didn't just stumble upon penalty rates in the last week they new about this when they opened/bought the business. Its a fact of life that everyone wants more money and these shop owners are no different. If I owned a cafe I would want to pay my workers AS LITTLE as possible which means more money in MY pocket, but if I worked at a cafe I would always want AS MUCH as possible which means more money in MY pocket, so unless you are a blind fool this entire debate is not about penalty rates it is in fact about people wanting moooooooore dosh! and seriously these days..... who wouldn't

let my friends form youtube explain in this short clip -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!