Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
CA18DET Cams options - Hardtuned.net

CA18DET Cams options 

7 replies to this topic

#1 NRG180

• Car:1989 / 180sx

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

I'm doing a planned upgrade on my CA18DET after a few years of neglect.

Basically it ran el-cheapo set up:
Z32 AFM
440 injectors
T28 (ADM s14) turbo
3" exhaust
exhaust cam on intake side
Nistune ran 17PSI with 190kw at the wheels for some time.

Started running in some issues like valve float, head bolts stratch, turbine wheel contact with housing, not enough power. The regular problems

Anyways. Now replaceing a turbo of a similar specs to 2871R or something smaller. Havent decided yet. But has to bolt on my set up
Cylinder head is fully reconditioned all acid bath, pressure test, ultrasound, valve seats, guides and seals, new springs. It's practicaklly brand new.

The general Idea I pursue is very quick spool and power 200-220kw at the wheels on 98 V-Power. Hence smallish turbo choice

Now the question is for the cams. Currently its stock 248. I was eyeing Tomei 256 cams. Got a few second opinions with unanimous recommendation to go 260.

Now whats the deal with staggered 256 intake and 260 exhaust??? I dont want to lose any spool up time. It has to spool quickly.

I've been doing some research too. Lets see what the experts have to say.

#2 mr_sleeper

• Car:180sx

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

I was talking to a few vendors about aftermarket cams (Spool make some too) and they all said it will move the power curve and add lag and affect the turbo response. I haven't decided on cams yet for my CA and it is off the road so no experience to offer.

I think with cams bigger than 256 you may need to change the lifters, can someone else confirm?

For turbo chat to Hypergear, the ATR28SS1.5 with ball bearing looks like will be a very good option for response. I am chomping at the bit to get enough cash together to get the engine freshened up and buy one of those.

#3 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

2871 is way too big for that power goal. 2860 will be good enough for 230 on 98.

Poncams will open up the rev limit a bit, without losing too much bottom end. For a small power goal, smaller cams are better.

Honestly a T28 BB would do 200, and cams would let it do it on less boost. Anything bigger will not have "very quick spool".

#4 Kirksil13

• Car:S15

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

The new gtx series turbo's seem to be an awesome option for the power output and response your after. Personally i run a vn14 turbo with stock cams (vct) that makes for a very quick streeter and runs 236kw on e85, yet hits full boost (20psi) @ 3400rpm. It noses over just after 6000rpm. If i were to do things again id choose the gtx2860 gen 2 turbo with 256 poncams, that would definitely make for an exciting road and track car.

#5 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

GTX are laggier than the same sized GT turbo, and only seem to come to life at higher boost. GTX2860 will be as laggy as a 2871, but will out power the 2871, especially if E85 is involved.

#6 NRG180

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for input. I'll use JDM T28 BB to get it going. Only because I have one. Most likely will settle for 256 cam.

GTX series units have a very flat map. I think these have been designed for newer style free flowing heads. I doubt these will be any beneficial to my application.

Hyper gear suggested 18.5G ot freeflow my old bush bearing with oversized compressor inlet.

MMP seem to be developing the hybrid designed units as well.

I'll post results once have it all assembled and tuned.

#7 NRG180

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for input. I'll use JDM T28 BB to get it going. Only because I have one. Most likely will settle for 256 cam.

GTX series units have a very flat map. I think these have been designed for newer style free flowing heads. I doubt these will be any beneficial to my application.

Hyper gear suggested 18.5G ot freeflow my old bush bearing with oversized compressor inlet.

#8 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostWizard, on 14 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

GTX are laggier than the same sized GT turbo, and only seem to come to life at higher boost. GTX2860 will be as laggy as a 2871, but will out power the 2871, especially if E85 is involved.

yeah nah... GTX2860 will destroy a GT2871 in terms of response & transient
people say GTX is laggier, yes because essentially it's a larger compressor wheel (extended tip).. might be a "60mm" exducer but measuring it will be closer to a 63mm exducer

back on topic, go higher lift cams where possible don't focus too much on duration

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!