Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S15 Noobie camber question - Hardtuned.net

S15 Noobie camber question 

12 replies to this topic

#1 jaker33

• Car:2001 s15

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hey crew just a quick question is regards to camber for my s15, im soon to be buying a set of coilovers with front adjustable camber tops etc, my question is regards to the common upgrades to the control arms, caster rods etc are they used for more specific camber and suspension set ups or will I need these as well as coilovers? car is only a daily just curious, thanks a bunch !

#2 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

No, you don't need anything you listed. If you want the car a tad lower, then some lowering springs and stock arms should be good enough. Lower a lot more and you will need camber arms. For a fairly sedate daily, you really don't need much more than lower springs (if desired) and rear camber arms, as coilovers will usually have 5kg springs or greater, which will hurt daily driven comfort a lot.

Given your prospective setup, just getting camber arms should be fine. Just don't go super low.

#3 jaker33

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

okay, yeah i dont want to go low just a modest drop, but i do have poke from my wheels so the camber is jsut in ragards to that, maybe jsut a lowered strut and spring with some camber arms

#4 Rhino-ACT

• Car:180sx

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

How low can you get before you need the rear toe and traction arms as well? Particularly on a 180sx for me, but also for an S15 for the OP?

I lowered my rear so that a third of the tyre (205-55-r16 so reasonably large profile) was behind the guard, and several months later I noticed bad camber wear on the inside inch of tyre and hardly any wear anywhere else. I've since raised it an inch or so (eyebrow height is now 325mm rear) and I'm pretty happy with this height since it doesn't scrape too much on driveways anymore. Could go a little higher if I needed.

But just not sure if I get camber arms if I'll run into toe or bump steer issues. Hard to tell without getting a wheel alignment several times or something.

Edited by Rhino-ACT, 19 October 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#5 jaker33

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Would anyone have any brand recommendation's for lowered springs/ struts and control arms?

#6 Johno333

• Car:Autech 180sx.5

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

If you're messing with the height of your car get a wheel alignment. Any time you change the height, you change the camber and any time you change the camber, the toe also changes.

If you're gettibg coilovers I'm going to assume you're going to go a lot lower than lowering springs would take you... And with the price of after market arms these days you should definately get adjustable camber and toe arms in te rear, then an alignment when you have it At your desired height.

I'm only running nismo s tune suspension so I'm not that low, and having adjustable camber and toe arms in the rear make my life so much easier when I do my alignments

#7 jaker33

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes I will get everything aligned as I go, I have actually been looking to see if they're nismo s-tune suspension I Adelaide for sale, or I think I might just go a different brand strut/spring then like mentioned above the camber bolt by whiteline

#8 jaker33

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Alrighty for anyone who cares I know it was a little hard finding info for S-tune suspension, they are more firm than stock but no where near to stiff, it lowered the car but only the excess height that was at the front so now it has a modest drop, I did buy the Whiteline camber bolts but they didn't arrive until after the suspension was fitted,so the fronts have I think 1.75 degrees of camber, the rears I do need rear camber arms but other than that I rate them!

#9 Mark_s15

• Car:s15

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

I personally would have went with a coilover set-up with adjustable strut tops as it is very easy to adjust height and camber. Also, the shocks are usually made to suit the spring rates with coilover systems and the shocks can also be adjusted from stiff to soft etc. Some brands of coilovers are even street legal, companies include Pedders and Tein/Fulcrum Australia. MCA may even be street legal (not sure on this but check the website).

HOWEVER, for a daily driven car the lowered springs should be fine ;). If you are unhappy with the ride quality at all, you may need to put in some aftermarket shocks to suit the new stiffer springs.

If you want to reduce some tyre wear, rear camber arms are a good idea as you can reduce the amount of negative camber in the rear. Cusco make them and are good quality, or you can go Ikeya Formula which is really expensive (overkill for the street) or you can go a cheaper brand (heaps of them, just google search ;) ).

#10 jaker33

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I spent a lot of time thinking of either going the coilover or strut/spring, but I am very happy I went with strut/spring they're pretty much new and feel great!
It Is my daily and where I live the driveways are not all low car friendly.

#11 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

adjustable camber tops also change the angle of the shock absorber which can change the stiffness of the strut.

Every time I have had an alignment they use the adjustment in the lower end of the strut and keep the camber tops centered. there is more than enough in the lower adjustment to suit most cars and you dont lose as much of the ride quality.

#12 sleepr

• Car:s15

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:31 AM

View Postjaker33, on 25 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I spent a lot of time thinking of either going the coilover or strut/spring, but I am very happy I went with strut/spring they're pretty much new and feel great!
It Is my daily and where I live the driveways are not all low car friendly.
By the way you do have "coilover" suspension, it's just not adjustable. People only seem to refer to coilovers when they change to something that has some adjustability totally ignoring the fact the suspension they removed from their car is of the same design, just with no adjustment. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me though.

Anyway well done on resisting going adjustable shocks on a daily, I too have gone through this and have ended up with a really nice legal set up and because my rig is also a daily with realistic ride height and set up for grip I've also managed to piss off my adjustable camber arms in favour of some adjustable bushes at both ends of the oem arms.

#13 jaker33

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Yeah I have heard that but I like having the two different types of suspension names, just easier.

I am very happy with my choice for not going adjustable coilover

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!