Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S13 Silvia Digital Climate Control Conversion Guide - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

S13 Silvia Digital Climate Control Conversion Guide 

29 replies to this topic

#1 Lucius

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLUG THE DCC INTO THE ANALOGUE LOOM. YOU MUST EITHER USE THE DIGITAL LOOM OR FOLLOW THIS GUIDE TO MODIFY YOUR ANALOGUE LOOM.

S13 Silvia Digital Climate Control Conversion Instructions - Analogue to Digital Conversion using the Analogue Loom.

Interpreting Colours and Pin Numbering:

The pin numbers apply to the plugs as they face you, i.e. The connecting side of the plug is facing you and the wires are on the furtherst side.

Here is how the pins are numbered:

Attached Image: Connector_Pins.jpg

~INSERT REMAINING PIN NUMBERING DIAGRAM HERE~

Colour Coding:

B = Black
W = White
R = Red
Gr = Green
Lgr = Light Green
Y = Yellow
Br = Brown
Or = Orange
Bl = Blue
Pnk = Pink

Wire colours take the form - Base Colour/Stripe (i.e. B/W = Black with White Stripe)

For the purposes of this article these plugs within the climate control loom take the following labels:

Big White Connector -

Attached Image: big_white_con.jpg

Medium White Connector -

Attached Image: med_white_con.jpg

Small White Connector -

Attached Image: small_white_con.jpg

Thermistor Connector -

Attached Image: thermistor_con.jpg

Blue Relay -

Attached Image: blue_relay.jpg

How to remove pins from the plugs:

The pins are held into the plugs by a small clip extending down into a groove in the pin. I used a small flat head screwdriver to push the plastic clip out of this groove as demonstrated in Fig. 1.

1. Un-clip the retaining clips on the top and bottom of the plugs.
2. Slide the screwdriver into the plug directly above the pin.
3. With the screwdriver still inserted, pull on the cable until the pin comes free (Note - When removing the pins i found that i sometimes had to insert the screwdriver more than once in order to push the plastic clip up high enough to remove the pin).
4. Label the pins initial location with some masking tape and move it to the side (I labeled mine with a letter followed by the inital pin number, i.e. B1 = Initally pin 1 from the Big black plug; S1 = Initally pin 1 from the Small black plug).
5. Repeat until all pins have been removed from the black plugs.

When removing the pins be patient, as the last thing you want to do is break one of the plugs!

~INSERT FIGURE(s) HERE (REMOVING PINS)~

Re-Pinning the Plugs:

Important: The Pin numbers shown in Green require you to create a cable.

Small Black Connector:

Pin No. = New Wire/Moved Pin Description
1= Gr/Y - From Big Black Pin 11
2= Bl/B - From Big Black Pin 19
3= Bl/Y - From Big Black Pin 09
4= Blank
5= Pnk/B - From Big Black Pin 06
6= Lgr - From Small Black Pin 03
7= Blank
8= Blank
9= Bl/R - From Big Black Pin 10
10= Bl/W - From Big Black Pin 20
11= Blank
12= Blank
13= Br - From Small Black Pin 11
14= Lgr/B - From Big Black Pin 17
15= Pnk/Bl - From Big Black Pin 07
16= Blank

Big Black Connector:

1= R - Doesn’t Exist on Analogue Loom, Run to constant +12v
2= Gr/W - From Big Black Pin 15
3= R/W - From Small Black Pin 16
4= B - Doesn’t Exist on Analogue Loom, Join to Black cable on Pin 10
5= Blank
6= Gr/W - Comes from Blue Relay
7= Br/W - From Small Black Pin 14
8= Or/B - From Small Black Pin 06
9= Lgr/R - From Big Black Pin 05
10= B - From Big Black Pin 12
11= Blank
12= Gr/R - From Small Black Pin 09
13= Gr/B - From Small Black Pin 01
14= Gr/Y - From Small Black Pin 02
15= Gr - From Small Black Pin 04
16= Gr/Y - From Small Black Pin 12
17= Or/Bl - From Small Black Pin 05
18= Pnk - From Small Black Pin 13
19= Lgr/R - From Small Black Pin 08
20= Bl/B - From Small Black Pin 07

To Get Aircon Switch to function: Join the Lgr/R cable from Analogue Plug Pin 07 to the Lgr/B cable from Big White Connector Pin 08.
To Get Temperature control to function: Cut the Lgr cable that comes from the Thermistor Plug, and solder/join it to the Gr/Y cable that is now on Pin1 of the Small Black Connector. (DO NOT CUT THE CABLE AT THE THERMISTOR PLUG END! - What we want here is a LGR cable that runs from the thermistor plug to the cable at Pin1!)

Extra Information:

Analogue Spare White Plug: After all of the re-pinning is complete this plug may still be attached by some wires. Cut them close to the plug so that you can remove the plug.
When creating wires for Pins 01 and 04 on Big Black Connector: The obsolete white plug that has now been removed from the loom will have a number of wires attached with pins remaining on the ends. Cut these wires from the plug and use them to create your new ground and constant +12v cables.

Any Exposed wires that are left behind should be taped up or shrink wrapped.

Recirculation Switch Issues

Note: ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH THE RECIRCULATE FEATURE! Otherwise your recirculate button will work in reverse.

If you plugged the digital climate control unit into the the analogue loom without doing the conversion first, then odds are your recirculation button will not work. This is because like most other things in the digital unit, these functions are controlled via transistors, and it seems that plugging in the digital unit without first converting the loom fries the transistor(s) that manage the recirculation function, leaving you stuck on the fresh air mode.
If you do not like being stuck on fresh air, and would prefer to be stuck on Recirculate you will need to swap Pins 13 and 14 of the Big Black plug.

If you dont want to be stuck on either, and want to be able to switch between modes then you will need to somehow integrate a relay, or replace the fried part.

Thanks to Lovin-That-80 for letting me pull your car apart so that i could work out the wiring, and thanks to mdConstantine for spotting my typos and working out the original pin locations for the wires i lost track of.

Edited by Lucius, 15 October 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#2 Nav2k

• Car:RX7

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

make sure u indicate what car its for! :P
ill clean up comments in here and push it into the articles section once its done

#3 Bossballer

• Car:180sx

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

thanks mate...ive almost completed repinning my loom

but farrrrkk....i think u talked down how hard it is to get out some of the pins ;)..lol

i spent 2/3 of the time trying to get half of the stubborn ones out..stupid little fkrs!

cant wait to try it out in the car...cheers again for all the effort you put into your conversion and the article

#4 daisu

• Car:Cefiro

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

I used this write up to do the conversion on Mr X's car.
Except I missed the instruction for wiring up the temp control, so will fix that in the next few days for him hopefully.

I will be attempting this conversion on my cefiro soon. As far as I know digital climate controls were not available for the cefiro, so hopefully the wiring is similar to the S13.

#5 Lovin-that-80

• Car:One Eighty, &, Ess One Five

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

View PostLucius, on May 24 2007, 08:53 AM, said:

Will add Remaining pictures tonight!

Interpreting Colours and Pin Numbering:

The pin numbers apply to the plugs as they face you, i.e. The connecting side of the plug is facing you and the wires are on the furtherst side.

Here is how the pins are numbered:

Attachment Connectors.jpg

~INSERT REMAINING PIN NUMBERING DIAGRAM HERE~

Colour Coding:

B = Black
W = White
R = Red
Gr = Green
Lgr = Light Green
Y = Yellow
Br = Brown
Or = Orange
Bl = Blue
Pnk = Pink

Wire colours take the form - Base Colour/Stripe (i.e. B/W = Black with White Stripe)

For the purposes of this article these plugs within the climate control loom take the following labels:

Big White Connector -

Attachment BigWhCon.jpg

Medium White Connector -

Attachment MedCon.jpg

Small White Connector -

Attachment SmallCon.jpg

Thermistor Connector -

Attachment Thermistor.jpg

Blue Relay -

Attachment BlueRelay.jpg

How to remove pins from the plugs:

The pins are held into the plugs by a small clip extending down into a groove in the pin. I used a small flat head screwdriver to push the plastic clip out of this groove as demonstrated in Fig. 1.

1. Un-clip the retaining clips on the top and bottom of the plugs.
2. Slide the screwdriver into the plug directly above the pin.
3. With the screwdriver still inserted, pull on the cable until the pin comes free (Note - When removing the pins i found that i sometimes had to insert the screwdriver more than once in order to push the plastic clip up high enough to remove the pin).
4. Label the pins initial location with some masking tape and move it to the side (I labeled mine with a letter followed by the inital pin number, i.e. B1 = Initally pin 1 from the Big black plug; S1 = Initally pin 1 from the Small black plug).
5. Repeat until all pins have been removed from the black plugs.

When removing the pins be patient, as the last thing you want to do is break one of the plugs!

~INSERT FIGURE(s) HERE (REMOVING PINS)~

Re-Pinning the Plugs:

Important: The Pin numbers shown in Green require you to create a cable.

Small Black Connector:

4= Blank
7= Blank
8= Blank
11= Blank
12= Blank
16= Blank

Big Black Connector:

5= Blank
11= Blank

To Get Aircon Switch to function: Join the Lgr/R cable from Analogue Plug Pin 07 to the Lgr/B cable from Big Black Connector Pin 08.
To Get Temperature control to function: Cut the Lgr cable that comes from the Thermistor Plug, and solder/join it to the Gr/Y cable that is now on Pin1 of the Small Black Connector. (DO NOT CUT THE CABLE AT THE THERMISTOR PLUG END! - What we want here is a LGR cable that runs from the thermistor plug to the cable at Pin1!)

Extra Information:

Analogue Spare White Plug: After all of the re-pinning is complete this plug may still be attached by some wires. Cut them close to the plug so that you can remove the plug.
When creating wires for Pins 01 and 04 on Big Black Connector: The obsolete white plug that has now been removed from the loom will have a number of wires attached with pins remaining on the ends. Cut these wires from the plug and use them to create your new ground and constant +12v cables.

Any Exposed wires that are left behind should be taped up or shrink wrapped.

Recirculation Switch Issues

Note: ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH THE RECIRCULATE FEATURE! Otherwise your recirculate button will work in reverse.

If you plugged the digital climate control unit into the the analogue loom without doing the conversion first, then odds are your recirculation button will not work. This is because like most other things in the digital unit, these functions are controlled via transistors, and it seems that plugging in the digital unit without first converting the loom fries the transistor(s) that manage the recirculation function, leaving you stuck on the fresh air mode.
If you do not like being stuck on fresh air, and would prefer to be stuck on Recirculate you will need to swap Pins 13 and 14 of the Big Black plug.

If you dont want to be stuck on either, and want to be able to switch between modes then you will need to somehow integrate a relay, or replace the fried part.

Thanks to Lovin-That-80 for letting me pull your car apart so that i could work out the wiring, and thanks to mdConstantine for spotting my typos and working out the original pin locations for the wires i lost track of.

Thats okay Brother... My car is yours to pull apart.... Just not to drive :P

Love u :)

Sarah

#6 DR1FT HAVEN

• Car:s15-80 s14sr20DET

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

half way thru mine but according to your info, the colours you say to re-pin arent the ones i got form the pins you say they came form eg :

1 = b/w from pin 1 on big black..... yet my big black numbered 1 is actually blue, c wat i mean??? should i follow the numbers of the colours????

#7 Lucius

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

Small Black Connector:

4= Blank
7= Blank
8= Blank
11= Blank
12= Blank
16= Blank

Big Black Connector:

5= Blank
11= Blank

Your example is not on the list of wires to re-pin...?

What is the problem you are having exactly?

#8 teza737

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:11 AM

farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk just spent 2 hrs re wiring and the analouge plugs dont fit in digi control!!!!!!

#9 teza737

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:30 AM

ok... after a couple more hrs, got it wrking, but fan control speed and temperature control dusnt work.. n e help??

BTW lucius, im not too sure how u figured out where the wires go, but ur a GENIUS!!!!

#10 Rodney

• Car:Nissan 180SX

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Finished this conversion from analogue to digital without the digital loom in my 180 last night. I'd like to say thanks to the OP as without this guide I couldn't have done it. Everything went well & after much stripping, tinning, joining & heatshrinking (as I didn't have a small enough flatblade to get the pins out) it worked perfectly first time.

Thanks for a great guide!

#11 udi

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Anyone got a how-to for the S15? JDM digi climate control to ADM car?

#12 BACKYARD_HERO

• Car:180sx (RPS13)

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

i have just installed a digital climate control with a loom that came with it but as soon as the ignition is on the fan is on and wont turn off ,
does this mean i have to rewire something?

#13 disco*damo

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

hay,

i dont have a digital unit in front of me BUT!

how do you control the temperature? as it is driven via cable?

sorry if its a silly question or i missed it in the form?

thank you

Damian.

#14 ZNZ Custom Designs

• Car:Heaps

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

Cheers saved me hours working it out :thumbsup: thanks man!

#15 DiRTgarage

• Car:R32 GTR

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

got an R32 GTR unit here...as well as loom, all sensors, blower, air con unit etc. Just want to wire up head unit to control whats already there without having to tear dash apart. Any help would be great. Its for a CA18 s13.

thanks
or just a heads up of what car this conversion supplies the donor unit and loom from...that way i can convert it myself and add the info to this thread.

Edited by DiRTgarage, 14 June 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#16 Akshunhiro

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hey mate, just want to thank you for doing the hard work and posting this guide. Was keen to get a DCC module for my S13 so decided to research it and found this guide.

I must admit, I was sceptical at how many changes needed to be made since the module is almost plug and play.

Got it all repinned and wires tapped where they needed to go and worked like a charm! I initially got caught with the wrong module (the Type-X one) so, after getting another from O1G, I set to work. I was thinking of shaving the plugs to get them to fit into the Type-X module but, knowing my luck, the pins would probably be different.

So, thanks again!

Posted Image

#17 stephen16

• Car:Mazda Rx7

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

I'm thinking about having a crack at this, so all that is needed for it to work is the digital climate control unit and modifications to the wiring harness, can anyone confirm?

I watched a video on YouTube that said you need various sensors and other things?

#18 Akshunhiro

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

That's only if you have the old school analogue system with cables going to vents and valves. If your current analogue module has an auto button then you can do this conversion just by rewiring it.

#19 JTC

• Car:S13

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

dont no if any will answer but when it says

Gr/W - Comes from Blue Relay

is that to slice into that wire creating a T piece? as it runs to small white connector

Thanks

#20 ssceffy

• Car:sil80

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

View PostJTC, on 01 March 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

dont no if any will answer but when it says

Gr/W - Comes from Blue Relay

is that to slice into that wire creating a T piece? as it runs to small white connector

Thanks

Ye mate just tee into relay wire

#21 SSR020

• Car:s13 silvia

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Can anyone supply the pic's in this article as my stupid computer wont show them...? Did anyone save them?

I am going to do the conversion to my car and would like all the info I can get...Posted Image

#22 Lobster

• Car:1991 Nissan 180sx

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostSSR020, on 30 August 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

Can anyone supply the pic's in this article as my stupid computer wont show them...? Did anyone save them?

I am going to do the conversion to my car and would like all the info I can get... :thumbsup:
Same

#23 SILVIA s13

got milk?.. no milf? well then...GOTTA HAVE 4 DOOR!!

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Car:cefiro

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

so have done the conversion awhile back, one thing that is getting to me is that the unit will always starts at 24/5 deg c ( and will not remember what temp it was when turned off) and the valve that goes to the heater core is open( it will open/close when i change the temps button) when the climate unit is off meaning the car takes longer to warm up.

is there a way to set the unit at 18 deg c on start up or a way to do the wiring to make sure the heater valve is closed on start up with out touching the actual climate unit ?

thanks

#24 moss

• Car:180SX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hi everyone, doing this conversion for the first time and I have some questions that have not yet been covered;

1 - To Get Aircon Switch to function: Join the Lgr/R cable from Analogue Plug Pin 07 to the Lgr/B cable from Big Black Connector Pin 08.

Why are we connecting the BB08 wire to the AP07 wire, when we are removing the Analogue Plug?

2 - After completing all the other harness mods to my loom (CA18DET Silvia, push button CC) I've realised that I've bought a Type X 180SX DCC unit, which has different plugs on the back. Can anyone confirm whether this swap will still work simply by transferring the pins from the CA black plugs to the Type X grey plugs?

Thread is probably long dead but worth a try!

Thanks guys

#25 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

I think I know what youre saying.

I bought a replacement DCC unit as i scratched mine. When I went to put it in my Type X the plugs were the wrong shape.

They are similar pins but the outer edge of the plug is keyed differently.

From what I could see, the wiring is all identical, it was just the connector was different slightly. the unit I bought had a cut loom hanging out of it (so it could have been spliced in to a non-DCC car) and at a quick check of a few of the pins, they all had the same wires going to them.

Rather than go about re-pinning the connectors i just swapped the plastic screens over.

Hope that helps you figure it out.

#26 s13k's

• Car:180SX Type X

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostVarvs, on 13 May 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

I think I know what youre saying.

I bought a replacement DCC unit as i scratched mine. When I went to put it in my Type X the plugs were the wrong shape.

They are similar pins but the outer edge of the plug is keyed differently.

From what I could see, the wiring is all identical, it was just the connector was different slightly. the unit I bought had a cut loom hanging out of it (so it could have been spliced in to a non-DCC car) and at a quick check of a few of the pins, they all had the same wires going to them.

Rather than go about re-pinning the connectors i just swapped the plastic screens over.

Hope that helps you figure it out.

Type X DCC's and Non Type X DCC's are different plug wise

#27 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thats what I just said?

different plugs, but the wiring looks identical.

They have the same amount of pins, they are just keyed different.

#28 moss

• Car:180SX

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

The type X unit appears to be missing a few pins compared to my conversion loom, on the small grey plug (Looks to be pins 4,7,8,11,12 & 16). All the colours are different on mine but I suspect that's just because of the repin.

For completeness of the guide's sake, the part number for each DCC unit and the model of car it comes from:

27510-52F00 - Early S13, From what I understand this is all 94-96 180SXs, which where produced alongside the S14s, identified by the S14 interior and blacktop motor non VCT. I haven't confirmed yet whether S13 silvias or 180SXs had DCC during the official S13 production run 88-94. It is my understanding that all Q's silvias had the base model heater, while K's silvias and 180SXs had ACC. DCC might have been in the diamond selection silvias or as an option.

27510-60F01 - Late S13, the distinctive type R,S,X models with the circular taillights, produced from ~96-99.

Edited by moss, 15 May 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#29 zilvia240z

• Car:240sx

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

i have a question, so some one up there asked^

"I'm thinking about having a crack at this, so all that is needed for it to work is the digital climate control unit and modifications to the wiring harness, can anyone confirm?
I watched a video on YouTube that said you need various sensors and other things? "

then some one replied with....

"That's only if you have the old school analogue system with cables going to vents and valves. If your current analogue module has an auto button then you can do this conversion just by rewiring it"

my question is what about if my car didn't come with the auto button.
my car is old school ,i will have to switch all the sensors and all that. so will this "rewiring" still work for me?

need an answer please .

Edited by zilvia240z, 23 December 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#30 Tomhj75

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

Can anyone confirm the wires for the ac switch to function?ie is analogue black plug the small black that was being repinned and is it large black or small black plug for second wire to join

Edited by Tomhj75, 25 December 2015 - 06:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!