Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
HOW TO REMOVE THE SUPER CRAP STANDARD SUBFRAME BUSHES - Hardtuned.net

Jump to content


HOW TO REMOVE THE SUPER CRAP STANDARD SUBFRAME BUSHES 

58 replies to this topic

#1 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Ok, it seems to be the fashion this month to replace the rear subframe bushes with solid ones, sooooooo i though i would do a write up on how to do this as there seems to be some shitty advise floating around.

1: remove the subframe, if you can't do this without a write up, then i wouldn't go any further

2: get a hacksaw and cut the top lip of the standard rubber bush, in 2 spots, a chisel width awah from each other.
you need to do this where there is a gap in the bush
Posted Image

3: hit the lip back with a chisel to the centre sleeve
Posted Image

4: use a long sharp punch and hammer it down between the bushes outer sleeve and the subframe itself.
if you happen to get unlucky and hit it through the outer sleeve, start again next to the hole.
you need to hit it all the way through, so that the bush looses its tension on the subframe
(NOTE: the rear 2 bushes are very easy, the fronts are a 2 piece outer sleeve and require a bit of man power :lol: )
Posted Image
Posted Image

5: flip the subframe over and hit the bush out with a hammer
Posted Image
Posted Image

6: press/hammer in the new bushes and bobs ya uncle ;)
Posted Image

#2 battery

  • Joined:24-January 06
  • Location:Australia VIC

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

nice guide but i reckon getting the bush out is easier than removing the sub frame lol..

anyway i know a few people who have had success with an oxy torch :)

#3 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

i have done it both ways, it takes ages to burn all the rubber out, you still need to cut out the outer sleeve, it is farken messy and smelly

#4 Sticky

  • Joined:28-December 05
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:S13 SR20DE

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

i remember removing all the bushes from an entire S13 rear end while working at noltec (when it was still open).... everything came out easy - we had a massive press that just pushed them straight out

#5 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

yeah you could do it that way, but i though i'd do a writeup using just the basic tools. so to show you you can do it at home easily enough.

(in reality i used a air powered saw, and an air chisel :lol: )

#6 country drift

  • Joined:26-July 06
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:SR20 Onevia

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

the truth comes out hahaha :lol:

#7 bass_rulz

  • Joined:21-September 08
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:1989 s13 silvia

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

thats all good if you need to remove the entire bush but if you need to leave the shells intact to fit nolathane bushes its a pain in the ass!!
but good writeup ill remember that next time...

#8 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

really? sounds like a really poor design :S

if that was the case you would need to burn them out, and then wire wheel out all the shit....

fark that :lol:

#9 Protius

  • Joined:18-July 06
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S14 200SX

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

View Postbass_rulz, on 13 April 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

thats all good if you need to remove the entire bush but if you need to leave the shells intact to fit nolathane bushes its a pain in the ass!!
but good writeup ill remember that next time...
I didn't think nolathane bushes needed the ring. When I was fitting nolathane engine mounts to my pulsar I removed the entire bush and its metal surround leaving only the outter metal of the engine mount that the bush pressed into.

#10 bry

  • Joined:27-July 05
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:FC3S / SA22C / EF9

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

Good writeup.. I'll do this one day when I run out of things to f**k with on my car :D

#11 arabian_drifter

  • Joined:20-February 08
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:type X

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

what a mission . this isnt what u have to do when u do the pinnapples is it
i thought u just place it over the standard bushes that are in there

#12 slidin' 71

  • Joined:21-August 05
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:KE70/SR20VE....

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

No you don't remove the factory bushes to fit "pineapples".

Also, has anyone tried just hitting the factory bushes out with a decent hammer (read f**king big sledgehammer). Mine all popped out first hit, took like 2 mins to remove all 4 factory bushes.

#13 Simon-S14

  • Joined:18-May 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

View Postslidin' 71, on 28 April 2010 - 01:56 AM, said:

No you don't remove the factory bushes to fit "pineapples".

Also, has anyone tried just hitting the factory bushes out with a decent hammer (read f**king big sledgehammer). Mine all popped out first hit, took like 2 mins to remove all 4 factory bushes.
luck of thr draw i guess... mine were well and truely stuck in. i pressed them out with a 20 ton press and even that struggled with it.

#14 loco_180

  • Joined:12-March 08
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Nissan 180sx

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

Is there any point in doing this if you got the subframe lock bushes???

What's the advantages???

#15 prescott06

  • Joined:14-July 07
  • Car:180sx, E30 BMW

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

+1 for not burning them out. Way too messy and not good to be breathing in so much rubber smokey crap.

#16 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

View Postloco_180, on 28 April 2010 - 08:15 AM, said:

Is there any point in doing this if you got the subframe lock bushes???

What's the advantages???
less camber gain under squat, less - camber, better roll centre

#17 volt_bite

  • Joined:03-September 05
  • Location:Australia WA
  • Car:180sx, S15

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

So you could just get them pressed out is this correct? Because it looks like you damaged the subframe there a bit using the chisel.

#18 URAS1

  • Joined:30-July 05
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:s14 s1

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

where did you get solid ones from blingy

#19 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

View Postvolt_bite, on 28 April 2010 - 07:50 PM, said:

So you could just get them pressed out is this correct? Because it looks like you damaged the subframe there a bit using the chisel.
1 little mark isn't much. the reason i wrote this is to show you can do it at home with just basic tools.

View PostURAS1, on 28 April 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

where did you get solid ones from blingy
powered by max, in the states

#20 antonio

  • Joined:26-September 05
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:S14

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Good work blingtown.

My Powered by Max solids should be here soon, What do you think about them Solid Diff or Nismo bushes?

#21 djhatzigiannis

  • Joined:11-October 08
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:s13

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

out of interest what are they worth? i need to get some offset ones as im throwing s14 subframe in s13, SPL parts was about $300 delivered if thats ok?

#22 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

View Postantonio, on 29 April 2010 - 08:28 AM, said:

Good work blingtown.

My Powered by Max solids should be here soon, What do you think about them Solid Diff or Nismo bushes?
cheers maaan, i was going to solid mount the diff while the cradles was out, buuut, i guess i'll do it when the standard ones show wear

View Postdjhatzigiannis, on 29 April 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

out of interest what are they worth? i need to get some offset ones as im throwing s14 subframe in s13, SPL parts was about $300 delivered if thats ok?
they were around 180-200??
you can get yannak offset bushes through streeter for around $250, or pm ijoshi, he bought mine and was going to have them copyed

#23 S1L80

  • Joined:26-July 06
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:1989 Nissan Sil80..

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

View PostURAS1, on 28 April 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

where did you get solid ones from blingy
pm me lad :thumbsup:

#24 MidnightMods

  • Joined:19-December 03
  • Location:Australia VIC

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

View Postblingcommander, on 29 April 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

View Postantonio, on 29 April 2010 - 08:28 AM, said:

Good work blingtown.

My Powered by Max solids should be here soon, What do you think about them Solid Diff or Nismo bushes?
cheers maaan, i was going to solid mount the diff while the cradles was out, buuut, i guess i'll do it when the standard ones show wear

View Postdjhatzigiannis, on 29 April 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

out of interest what are they worth? i need to get some offset ones as im throwing s14 subframe in s13, SPL parts was about $300 delivered if thats ok?
they were around 180-200??
you can get yannak offset bushes through streeter for around $250, or pm ijoshi, he bought mine and was going to have them copyed


mine should be finished in about 3 more weeks I hope.
they sell for $175 del. but doing a pre order for $140 posted if you pay now :)

#25 djhatzigiannis

  • Joined:11-October 08
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:s13

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

View PostMidnightMods, on 29 April 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

View Postblingcommander, on 29 April 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

View Postantonio, on 29 April 2010 - 08:28 AM, said:

Good work blingtown.

My Powered by Max solids should be here soon, What do you think about them Solid Diff or Nismo bushes?
cheers maaan, i was going to solid mount the diff while the cradles was out, buuut, i guess i'll do it when the standard ones show wear

View Postdjhatzigiannis, on 29 April 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

out of interest what are they worth? i need to get some offset ones as im throwing s14 subframe in s13, SPL parts was about $300 delivered if thats ok?
they were around 180-200??
you can get yannak offset bushes through streeter for around $250, or pm ijoshi, he bought mine and was going to have them copyed


mine should be finished in about 3 more weeks I hope.
they sell for $175 del. but doing a pre order for $140 posted if you pay now :)

fkn pierres said to get those ones so i bought em before oh well, btw damo go and pik up warrens gearbox, i gotta get some rotors n shit off u soon

#26 Equinox

  • Joined:25-April 06
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:S14

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Are the offset ones though Damo?

Ps. When are you coming to get this box. :P

#27 Simon-S14

  • Joined:18-May 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

i ended up getting my own made up. should cost less then 30 in materials :D love having access to a cad machine :D

#28 blingcommander

  • Joined:05-October 06
  • Location:Japan
  • Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

View PostSimon-A31, on 29 April 2010 - 05:13 PM, said:

i ended up getting my own made up. should cost less then 30 in materials :D love having access to a cad machine :D
haha, no shit ay, if i had access to a lathe i would have made my own... oh wells

#29 Nebz

  • Joined:04-September 06
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:180sx Type X

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Damo talk to you about these tomorrow :)

#30 antonio

  • Joined:26-September 05
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:S14

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

They sell for $100USD from PBM + Freight.. So if you buy a few things from there store you can make it worth wild.

http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?5





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

    By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

    Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

    Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

    Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!