Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
S15 GKTech no-hole intercooler guide - Hardtuned.net

S15 GKTech no-hole intercooler guide 

10 replies to this topic

#1 Smiley235

• Car:s15

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

S15 GKTech no hole intercooler guide:

This isn't super comprehensive but should give those attempting it themselves a good idea of whats involved.

First you need to remove the front bar. Start by removing all the screws/bolts holding the plastic under-guard. There is also a screw holding the bar on each side inside the wheel arch. Then you need to remove an internal bolt on each side which can be accessed from the now partially open area from the wheel arch. I had to use an extension socket and it was actually a real pain in the ass. Finally when you lift the bonnet, you can see a few more screws holding the bar, remove them and the bar should come off.

Posted Image

Now you need to remove the old intercooler located on the front passenger side. Just remove any bolts you can see holding it down and disconnect the piping. Keep all hose clamps you take off as you will need to reuse some (or if their in bad shape, just replace them).

I also removed these two objects (don't know what they're called) for ease of access.

Posted Image

The next thing I did was to run in the GKtech piping. This is how it all connects in case your wondering.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now install the intercooler. Just a tip, dont force any bolts, if they get too tight, take them out and try again because you don't want to thread them. I think some of the bolts supplied may have been a bit too long so if you find this problem, you can either grind them down a bit or use more washers to space it out. Also, don't fully tighten all the bolts so you can have a little play whilst connecting the piping and or getting the intercooler position right.

I had to a bit of trial and error but finally worked it out. Attach the top bracket to the intercooler and attach the bracket to where your bonnet release is via the spacer and long bolt supplied. I think I had to remove the stock bolt that was in the bonnet release assembly. The GKtech screw provided is perfectly threaded to fit in there.

Posted Image

Then you can attach the two bottom brackets and you will find that these brackets can connect to holes in the under chasis and surprise surprise, the GKTech bolts are threaded perfectly for them. On the drivers side bracket, one of the holes didn't align perfectly so I just drilled the hole out on the bracket one or two millimieters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Connect up the piping to the intercooler, tighten all bolts and make sure the hose clamps are all on tight. Give each pipe a good tug to make sure. And now you should have something like this:

Posted Image

Also make sure you connect the brass tee-off to the new intercooler pipe in the engine bay and connect the pipe going to the wastegate solenoid. (if you leave this off, you could very well damage you engine).

At this point, I cable tied all the stuff hanging down so it wouldn't hit my wheels or the road and I took it for a test drive. Make sure there are no leaks. If there is a leak, you would notice by a lack of boost. Also, make sure (if you have a boost guage) that it isn't overboosting. The reason I would take it for a test drive now is that you don't want to put everything back together and then realise a problem. BTW, be discreet in case of the popo.

Now the final bit is the trimming. Nothing structural or metallic needs to be cut. Only the plastic underguard and a bit of the bar. I used a combination of a die grinder and tin snips and used a jigsaw for the bar. You will need to cut a fair bit off. Just trial and error. Same with the bar, cut a bit, see if it will fit,cut a bit more, see if it will fit and so forth.

At this point, it was getting dark on a Sunday and I needed my car for work so the trimming isn't the best. I'll fix it up next time I needto take my bar off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once you happy that everything is going to fit, put everything back the way you took it off. Helps if someone can give you a hand because those 'internal bolts' have little flouro coloured plastic widgets which fall out very easily but are needed to grab the bolt.

If anybody has any questions or thinks I should add something, feel free to let me know.

Cheers,

Cam

Edited by Smiley235, 25 October 2010 - 07:27 AM.

#2 Smiley235

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

updated!

#3 blk15

• Car:2001 Spec S

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

good stuff mate.

Mine makes cranking noises when i drive... do you have this issue?

#4 blue_panther9_9

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Well done.. I still havent figure how to mount lower bracket..:P instead of putting into 2 separate points, I put 2 brackets into 1mounting point..lol

#5 nuutz

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

Will the pipes clear fog lights? Or do they have to be removed..

#6 Smiley235

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

View Postblk15, on 25 October 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

good stuff mate.

Mine makes cranking noises when i drive... do you have this issue?

Nah, dont have any sound from it. I guess just make sure there is no movement in the intercooler, and also make sure there is no plastic body work making contact with either the intercooler or piping. Could be the sound of plastic creaking.

And in answer to the fog light question, i'm not sure if it gets in the way as I didn't have any fog lights, but the pipe impeded the back left edge of the fog light enclosure so provided the fog light tapers off to the back, it should fit, hopefully.

Edited by Smiley235, 25 October 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#7 GKTECH

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Great write up mate.

Exactly what we need for all of our intercooler kits!

I may be in touch in the near future with a proposition.

Greg

#8 Smiley235

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

View PostGKTECH, on 26 October 2010 - 06:49 PM, said:

Great write up mate.

Exactly what we need for all of our intercooler kits!

I may be in touch in the near future with a proposition.

Greg

Sounds good mate. Glad I got one.

#9 blue_panther9_9

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

View Postnuutz, on 25 October 2010 - 10:58 AM, said:

Will the pipes clear fog lights? Or do they have to be removed..

I got my fog light working with this intercooler, but it touches a bit

#10 CalebS15

• Car:JDM Spec R

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

ordered one today :thumbsup:

#11 meddler

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

I have now fitted my kit and with a little bit of modifications to the brackets and about 1.5 inches out of one of the intercooler pipes. The only thing that needs to be cut is the undertray. If you do what I did and buy a beatrush undertray, it all fits without cutting anything at all.

You can still retain your fog lights. I did turn the lamp holder around on the passengers side because I thought the wiring was too close to the pipes, but it is up to you if you think this is necessary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!