Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Rex Kelway sucks. - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

Rex Kelway sucks. 

257 replies to this topic

#61 EnFlaMEd

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Rex should consider making some 1jz dump pipes and camber adjustable upper A arms for a70/z20 chassis :D

#62 Protius

• Car:S14 200SX

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

YOU ARE MY HERO!

#63 xris

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

What happened to Rex? hasnt been on in awhile?

#64 Strewth01

• Car:180sx

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

View Postxris, on 11 November 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

What happened to Rex? hasnt been on in awhile?
I'd been wondering the same thing.

#65 DRE20

• Car:97 s14a

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

oh my god. You sir are THE man. When i first started seeing your posts around ns.com i thought u were somewhat mad goin by the 3rd person speak, now i know your FULL mad.
I mean, you have to be mad to be so good and self taught! I wish u were in qld, i would be bringin my car to you for sum serious work!

#66 kriss

• Car:A31 - CHEV

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Awesome work man can't believe I'd misse this thread

#67 Rex_Kelway

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Rex is still here. Been meaning to update the stupid thread, but y'know...

Next few days.

#68 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

I made a little song.

Oh Rex,
How your talent looks like sex
Oh Rex,
What will you build next?
Oh Rex..
Oh Rex..
Rex.

#69 Moleman

• Car:S13 SILVIA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

came on hoping to see an update from rex, instead, i find this crap

#70 Strewth01

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Ha!

#71 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

:lol:

#72 AnDyStYLe

• Car:RPS13

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

Rex do you do alloy welding and fabrication? Or are all the intercooler fab work done in stainless?

Cheers,

Andy

#73 Dori31

• Car:R31, R31, R33

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

what welder(s) does ye ole great rex use to create this perfectionist mastery?

Edited by Dori31, 15 November 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#74 Type R

• Car:Jzx100000000

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

LOL :teehee:

#75 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Most of it is alloy

#76 AnDyStYLe

• Car:RPS13

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

^ Doesn't stipulate that the intercooler piping are alloy, and I got the impression that all work Rex did in here is stainless, mild, or carbon steel?

#77 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Page 1 has plenty of alloy i/c piping

#78 Guppy-s14s1

• Car:S14 series 1

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Dang Rex has some skills... Subscribed

#79 Rex_Kelway

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hoo f**king Ray!!!

Time for an update and the answer to a very timely question.

Yes, Rex works with aluminium.

Also, don't get the terminology confused. Aluminium is a material where as Alloy is a techinical term very basically meaning 'a combination of elements'. Eg, Chromolly is an Alloy of Steel and other elements such as Chrome and Molebdenum etc... Bronze is an 'Alloy' of Copper and Tin etc. There ar also many different Alloys in each metal grade/family.

Sorry, Pet Hate. Along with many other things, mind you...

He wont add them all at one, frankly Rex cant be arsed.

This 4AG TD05 manifold was built to replace a completely rooted stainless Trust manifold. It had to keet the exact same location as the complete system was set up for it.

When it comes to manifolds sometimes space constraints mean you can just start with a pre-formed 4-1 straight merge collector (the easy way) In these cases each runner must be specifically cut and merged into the collector regardless of if it has a straight entry or if it enters on a bend. Its far more time consuming but sometimes there is no choice.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

You may have seen this 180SX rollcage in another thread but incase you haven't Rex'll repost it here... The owner of this car is building a TT V8 180SX. With registration being the eventual goal a full-cage was out of the question. So Rex designed a rollcage that would allow the entire front section to be removed with essentially three joints using a slide/lock mechanism.

The joints are proper slipper joints to meet FIA/CAMS specs (unlike those camburg style, allen key tube adaptors). Using this method the rollcage could be essentially as complex a weld in cage but able to be removed in only a few minutes.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This is a very very very very old project that has recently been pulled out to push forward. Its basically a Lotus seven style Clubman completely scratch built, not from a kit. Rex began it many years ago when He was learning MIG welding so its one of His first welding projects.

In the beginning the end result was to have a registered Clubman, quite possible should you wish to jump through the hoops involved. but after years on not moving forwards eventually Rex decided registration was not worth all the hassle it so its to be basically a Hillclimb/Circuit Toy.

In these pics its actually taking a few steps backwards to change the spec. Since then the floor and tunnel have been cut out and an R200 diff will be mounted for a deDion rear axle syetem.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More to come, perhaps 2015 at this rate...

Edited by Rex_Kelway, 07 January 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#80 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostRex_Kelway, on 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

More to come, perhaps 2015 at this rate...

Posted Image

#81 R4Race

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

Mate love yours works and also the way you write....amazingly very professional when it come to business.
Only if you are in Brisbane I would have certainly keep you even more busy than you're now.

#82 xMKYDx

• Car:s15

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

amazing skills put to good use!
i really like seeing rex's personal work, where he isnt constrained so much by a budget.

odly, i have one of those clubman chassis hanging above my head as i slave away on my car in a friends shed, im sure he will build something from it one day too.

looking forward to more updates!

#83 Beau J

• Car:56 Chev Truck

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

2012 - still speaking in the 3rd person.

#84 Drunken Monk

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

2012 - still not technically qualifying to pay sponsor fee's
(i dont think anyway)

#85 Rex_Kelway

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

He sure is... Until the day He's forced into his own hand-made coffin rocket-ship.

Sponsorship wise, Rex choses not to actively advertise his own gear on NS. The fairest He can do...

Can you believe Rex's found the time to update twice in the one week?

This is a Prototype bellmouth dump pipe for an M35 Stagea. Rex prefers to split the pipe rather than heat and stretch because although it does have weld seams there is no stretching (and thinning) of the material which would occur if it were heated and beaten (work hardened) into shape. Stainless can be a brittle material at the best of time and maintaining its initial properties as best as possible gives it the longest possible service life. This is also why Rex reinforces the seams and retains the factory support bracketery if at all possible.

No polishing etc, this is it's raw finish. It looks the way it does becuase thats how its made. Nothing to hide here.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A pair of knuckles modified for a champ of a customer who has some R33 GTR wheels for sale :thumbsup:. These have a great deal of the ackerman geometry removed along with a reduced effective steering length but leaving the vertical pivot relationship the same. Some other 'drift' knuckes end up being cut and have the stub re-welded underneath which without re-setting the vertical ball-joint/tie-rod relationship is the quickest way of actually introducing bump steer issues.

In terms of process aftter being measured and cut they are heavily bevelled and cleaned impeccably, jigged, pre-heated and welded in several passes. Due to the alternate loadings and critical nature, after cooling they are buffed smooth to try remove any surface imperfections which if left serve as stress-risers and points of origin for fatigue failure. Finally they are heated and left to cool as slowly as possible to try and relieve any residual stress and brittleness.

Sounds like a lot of arsing around but as with rollcages and suspension parts, make no mistake; peoples lives rely on these parts.

They are painted red simply because He had some red paint...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

More to come, gotta go eat Milo from the tin...

Edited by Rex_Kelway, 09 January 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#86 pig1jz

• Car:1jz cressida

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

rex,you are the *I love my mum*ing man.keep this thread updated.

#87 Rex_Kelway

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postpigca18, on 10 January 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

rex,you are the *I love my mum*ing man.keep this thread updated.

Not really a Man, more a kind of glorified boy...

Three more:

Rex's updated idea of the first stage upward from the CAMS basic spec rollcage, fitted to an R32. Cars rarely roll gently, quite often they will skip into the air and crash hard onto the upper corners of the roof/pillars. The second diagonal supports the main diagonal which will stop it from bending should it take a large hit in the upper corner of the main hoop. Door bars while increasing the impact protection also serve as basic triangulation for the door opening.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

One of Rex's favourites. His brother is quite an active cyclist so every now and then there's a frame to repair or modify etc. This is a mini Penny Farthing built as a one of for a friend of His brother. The two wheels were supplied and aside from that It was Rex's job to design and build a novelty bike.

Below is what the customer was originally thinking:
http://www.flickr.co...N00/4509416989/

But after sketching for a while, instead of some little novelty shitbox as above, Rex decided to go a little further and build him a proper usable bike:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And after the owner had it powdercoated and some sexy leather detailing parts:

It was a hoot to ride and really something that you could use every day. There's even a vid of Rex falling off it. Last He heard it was being shipped over to Switzerland.

Another SR20 Highmount Manifold, this time TD06;

Bare wirebrushed steel:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

After JetHot 2000 Ultra Hightemp coating:

Still more to come...

#88 SlEePeR DR

• Car:Silbeer

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Penny Farthing buy-cycle is mad! As are the modded knuckles, cooler piping and mani rex has made for me! Couldn't recommend him more! Oh and rex, I may be knocking on your door for some fab chatting in the near future... I have some ideas to throw at you! :yes: :beer:

#89 Just_About_Beaten

• Car:s14

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

haha f**k yes to bike. link to vid?lol

#90 Bloke

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

Love the mini-farthing. There, I've given it a name! :lol: I've always wanted a full-size one.

I like where you've kept the correct alignment of the diagonal bars in that R32 cage, where they intersect. That shows that your cutting and notching is spot-on.

Too many times have I seen notched diagonal 'x-bars' not continuing along the same trajectory due to inaccurate cutting and notching. Bravo to you sir. Bravo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!