Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Blown headgasket - 220,000kms @ 240rwkw. what gasket/headstuds? - Hardtuned.net

Blown headgasket - 220,000kms @ 240rwkw. what gasket/headstuds? 

8 replies to this topic

#1 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Haven't posted on here in years, Finished my S15 "build" 8 years ago, and its been my daily driver for the last 10 years with no issues.

Blew a head gasket a few weeks ago, im still driving the car for now. Its leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. Loosing about 1 litre every fortnight, and it misses on startup until you rev it. (guessing its leaking coolant overnight into the cylinder, causes misfire until it clears on startup)

Probably going to try some chemiweld for now, as i am in no position to have the car off the road for the next 3 months, but i need to get it fixed obviously.

Specs:

S15 SR20DET

237KW and 650ish NM @ 20psi.

Tuned by Yavuz 8 years ago, when it was either him or Adam from Jem who were the only 2 to go to. <--tune has never missed a beat.

Old school set up : 2871R, all supporting mods, power FC running 20psi. Greddy Eazy cams, kept VCT, rocker arm stoppers 220 000kms (and on stock box believe it or not)

Ok, so i need to replace the head gasket, don't want to go crazy as 1: its my daily driver and 2: im restoring a 260z, so all my interest is in that, don't really want to go crazy with the Silvia anymore.

HOWEVER.....

If i'm pulling the head, might as well upgrade right, maybe push a extra few pounds into her. (still running 98 - NO E85)

So ive read the main reason the heads lift is head studs. So i upgrade them to ARP or whatever. what ones for a stock motor? or i read Jetta studs?

What head gasket should i get? a metal one or a stock one? Ive read that if i get a metal one I'd need to pull the motor and deck the block, I don't want to do that. will the standard head gasket be fine? or should i go a Tomei, or Cosworth or whatever ive read.

Just want to be able to maybe push a extra PSI or 2 into her, maybe get it from 20psi currently to 23-24 psi safely if possible. would be nice to crack 250kw at the wheels. Running Nismo 760's and a nismo Fuelpump so fueling should not be a issue.

Might try somewhere else to tune it, maybe powertune, as ive read some bad things about unigroup lately.....

Any help will be appreciated.

Rudi.

#2 Wizard

• Car:Moneypit

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

New stock headgasket + ARP studs.

Done.

#3 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

Take it to MRC done.

Too much timing will increase the likelihood of destroying head head gaskets.

You can push a few more psi provided your intake temps are low. If they're not and you're running a shitty fmic it will be knock city.

#4 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

or Tomei HG, I recently did a S15 with Tomei HG, Jetta ARP studs, Poncams and she's putting out 280kW with more in there (exhaust restrictions)

#5 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

please.... I had the best intercooler on this website when i did it... bitchez loved it!

refer to the following:

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=415971

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

actually.... since your a Mod, someone actually PM'd me within the last 2 weeks asking for pics of my set up. The link has all broken photo links, i tried to edit it to fix them and it wont let me for some reason. Perhaps you can slot these photo's into the top post. I always used to get people asking me for pics but the links were dead.

My car never knocked on no one in 6 years haha!

Ive been reading a bit more, it seems E85 knowledge has come a long long way. It seems if i go a haltec I might be able to squeeze 270kw out of my fuel set up with E85.....

Does the Tomei HG require you to have the block decked? is it a metal? multilayer etc? And Is there a part number for the Jetta ARP studs? and do i get them from VW or the likes of rocket?

Thanks.

Rudi.

#6 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

I'll try edit the links.. but this forum is fucked and I can't save edits.. throws all sorts of cunty cunt issues.

I do recall seeing that FMIC back in the day too, looks le sex.. however the OEM hotpipe would be a restriction point and I suggest you enlarge that one day to improve airflow.

In terms of studs you could just get the correct SR studs from ARP, as they've fixed the issues before where the studs were too short. In terms of VW studs, some reason they're cheaper than SR20DET studs lol...

Even Nistune would be completely capable of bring that setup to the next level with full flex, boost by ethanol content as well. Haltech would be ideal as you get intake air temp sensor/monitoring and ignition compensation based in IAT.

If everything is still straight, then no.. if your head is warped because of the blown HG then yes, just a light skim would be plenty.... VW won't have ARP, best to go to Rocket Industries OR online stores, etc.

#7 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'm such a sick cunt:

ARP VW Jetta Head Studs SR20DET 204-4204

E85 allows you to pump stupid amounts of boost and timing into your car as it covers up the flaws in your car such as exhaust side restrictions (as it burns cooler), also covers up knocking issues (as iit has higher knock resistance).

Run full flex, you won't have any issues.. although I suggest you slap on a new fuel regulator such as the Turbosmart FPR1200 and delete the fuel pressure relief valve inside your fuel tank.. (that homo piece of plastic from the fuel pump to the fuel lid)

#8 adm15

• Car:s15

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

I put a metal hg on mine without decking the block. Just cleaned it up real good, had the head skimmed, used a nitto hg and sprayed it with some copper spray as advised by a couple of engine builders. I already had arp 2000 studs, which I reused. Engine ran good, head sealed fine. I cant talk about longevity though as I ended up sliding that car into a tyre barrier and subsequently sold the engine off, the car it went into was then stolen, who knows where It could be now, lol.

Ps, whatever you do, don't use a cometic hg. That's what I was replacing after a failure.

#9 KillaFlop

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

Tomei 1.2mm 87mm bore HG, ARP jetta studs, skimm the head and just clean up the block and done.

Did it all earlier this year with the help of Dose Pipe, here's a link that may help that I wrote up: http://www.trak-life...t-head-removal/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!