The random photography thread 

440 replies to this topic

#1 Siddr20

• Car:Chaser JZX100

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Post all the random talk and questions in here:

This thread isn't for posting up photos. Theres already a photo thread.

One rule: No bitching/fighting etc.. Just be nice please :)

#2 Siddr20

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Alright i will start it off..

So i just heard that the 5d mark 2 is coming out soon!! Seems pretty impressive, esp capturing full HD movies :o
But do we really need it?? lol

More info here: http://web.canon.jp/...g/eosd/eos5dm2/

Press release: http://www.usa.canon...917_5dmkii.html
YOU TUBE CLIP: http://hk.youtube.co...h?v=Ns1TYN4mPF0

From Canon Press Release:
Pricing and Availability
"The Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR camera is compatible with Canon EF lenses and is scheduled for delivery by the end of November. The EOS 5D Mark II will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $2,699iii. It will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon's EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $3,499iv."

Now i still feel canon pushes things to quickly!! Doubt the specs will appeal much. but anyways will be a great upgrade for those who want a full frame slr..

#3 Camel Toe

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

thanks for making this thread Sidd, we sure needed one!

and regarding the new 5D, have had a lot of discussion with the pros and amateurs and enthusiasts coming into my shop and everyone is talking about it.

general consensus esp from those that own a D3, is that Canon is still trying to lead at the MP count race. A D3 was a very smart move by Nikon as they realised more MP is not always better - having a large FF photosite but with less MP spreaded around it will reduce noise level much better, rather than cramming as much in as possible.

As a result, nothing can beat the D3 atm for noise control, its almost noise free up to ISO 6400! and for those who think its bs I have seen 8x12 prints from it at 6400 and it looked amazing, couldnt print bigger that time as my shop cant print bigger than 8x12 lol.

and Nikon is not falling for the MP count race either, they dont need to as pros who are using this know the pros and cons of the MP game.

we will have to wait and see how the new 5D fares in the noise department with 21MP into the sensor...........should be very interesting next yr at the next Photokina battle though.

regarding movie mode, i think its a revolutionary idea but it just means everyone will need much bigger capacity cards, and suddenly having a 32 gig card will be the norm later on! simply because in HD movie in 720res or 1080res from D90 and 5D respectively takes up soooo much memory, and having to zoom and focus manual while filming is hard to master for newbies.

#4 dunn

• Car:32 4door s2 RB25

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

this thread is a great idea, im considering upgrading to it but might wait til its 6months old and canon have realeased a mark III haha. Canon definitely push things through way to fast.

#5 dunn

• Car:32 4door s2 RB25

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

will people really go for it for its movie mode? i mean this isnt really an amatuer camera, its for pros/enthusiasts who's job or passion is to take photos.

#6 Camel Toe

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

All i can think of using the movie mode is for wedding and event photographers, many times when I create a slideshow DVD for the client I wished i had footages of even just a few minutes i could add in to it to make it more interesting

so im pretty sure some wedding guys will utilize that instead of having to have a separate person or camcorder there and adding extra expenses and manpower. I would do the same too if I have one.

but for the D90 then the users will def use it more, as its a lot cheaper and the price Sidd showed was actually in USD. not to mention the HD files from the D90 takes up less memory on a card too.

#7 Stang

• Car:A31 Cefiro, EG Civic

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

Half the reason I bought a P&S was so I could take short clips of having fun with friends, cars etc. That and it fits in my pocket.

Here are a few high ISO samples from the 5D MkII...they are *big* files.

http://www.slashgear.com/canon-eos-5d-m-ar...amples-1816672/

The lack of AF points would put me off...I love my D300s 51-point autofocus.

There are rumors that Nikon is developing a medium-format sensor.

http://www.nikonwatch.com/2008/09/04/nikon...ium-format-ish/

What I would really like from Nikon is fast wide primes like Canon has...24 f1.4 and 35 f1.4. Combine that with a D700 or D3 and it'd be awesome for available light stuff.

#8 The Stapler

• Car:RB25 180SX

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

The Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-S comes out soon. :D

If it's stupidly priced I'll prob end up going for Sigma's one.

#9 Siddr20

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Well im glad you like the idea of this thread.

Im sure over time, there will be wealth of information in here :)

regarding movie mode, i think its a revolutionary idea but it just means everyone will need much bigger capacity cards, and suddenly having a 32 gig card will be the norm later on! simply because in HD movie in 720res or 1080res from D90 and 5D respectively takes up soooo much memory, and having to zoom and focus manual while filming is hard to master for newbies.

I have a feeling in a years time 32gig will be a nom.

Now that i have upgraded to a 40d, raw file size is like 12mbs each :(
I currently only have a 1gig card. So i think its time i upgrade to a 4 or 8.

Quick question about the recording format.

Would it be best shooting in sraw or raw? Is there a difference? apart from resolution and file size? As in picture quality?

I normally shoot everything in creative mode in RAW format.
The auto stuff is just set to jpeg (dont think you can shoot auto in raw right?)

#10 MeZ

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

hey guys
dont wanna get my noob on but i am

wheres the cheapest most reliable place to get a cannon 450D
my mates buying one and im helping him out as he doesnt have paypal his gonna give me the money im gonna pay for it
he was looking at digitalrev but thought id ask you guys first cheers

also if you havent check out the first vid i made last friday night using my new camera (sony fx7)

#11 Camel Toe

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hahaha try shooting RAW from my K20D they are 24mb each! sigh, I used to shun 8 gig cards but now its the norm for me lol

The SRAw feature was added by request from some top wedding photographers that use, test and advise Canon regarding their equipment. These guys asked for a "smaller Raw file" for use during reception coverage. Reception coverage does not require large file sizes. Album pages consist of many smaller images on each page. The SRaw format gives them more margin for correcting exposure error etc.

thats what i know some pros do too. It makes sense though, my reception photos are rarely printed bigger than 5x7 or even 8x12 so I dont need to demand the absolute quality from a full raw file. Normally my reception photos in the albums are 6x4 and smaller sometimes for a digital album.

but memory card capacity and price is dropping so much now so the need for sRAW isnt as great as before. Even my store dont sell 1gig CF cards anymore as nobody uses them! Minimum 2gigs now :lol:

since u still have a 1gig card, sRAW definitely if u dont plan to print out to very large sizes or just use it for viewing on the comp

#12 Stang

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

View PostSiddr20, on Sep 19 2008, 05:32 AM, said:

Well im glad you like the idea of this thread.

Im sure over time, there will be wealth of information in here :)

I have a feeling in a years time 32gig will be a nom.

Now that i have upgraded to a 40d, raw file size is like 12mbs each :(
I currently only have a 1gig card. So i think its time i upgrade to a 4 or 8.

Quick question about the recording format.

Would it be best shooting in sraw or raw? Is there a difference? apart from resolution and file size? As in picture quality?

I normally shoot everything in creative mode in RAW format.
The auto stuff is just set to jpeg (dont think you can shoot auto in raw right?)

I talked with a motorsport photographer a few months ago who has a lot to do with Sony and uses their new cameras. He said they're in the process of developing a DSLR camera with 600*GB* of memory. Must mean video, and good quality.

#13 Siddr20

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

View PostMeZ, on Sep 19 2008, 02:53 PM, said:

hey guys
dont wanna get my noob on but i am

wheres the cheapest most reliable place to get a cannon 450D
my mates buying one and im helping him out as he doesnt have paypal his gonna give me the money im gonna pay for it
he was looking at digitalrev but thought id ask you guys first cheers

also if you havent check out the first vid i made last friday night using my new camera (sony fx7)

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ - $888 - thats pretty damn cheap for the body!!

Then buy my 18-55mm IS lens :P hahahah

Have bought two items from them in the past few weeks.. Excellent service and quick delivery (check my thread if you want more details)

Have a look on there :)

#14 Siddr20

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

View PostCamel Toe, on Sep 19 2008, 02:55 PM, said:

Hahaha try shooting RAW from my K20D they are 24mb each! sigh, I used to shun 8 gig cards but now its the norm for me lol

The SRAw feature was added by request from some top wedding photographers that use, test and advise Canon regarding their equipment. These guys asked for a "smaller Raw file" for use during reception coverage. Reception coverage does not require large file sizes. Album pages consist of many smaller images on each page. The SRaw format gives them more margin for correcting exposure error etc.

thats what i know some pros do too. It makes sense though, my reception photos are rarely printed bigger than 5x7 or even 8x12 so I dont need to demand the absolute quality from a full raw file. Normally my reception photos in the albums are 6x4 and smaller sometimes for a digital album.

but memory card capacity and price is dropping so much now so the need for sRAW isnt as great as before. Even my store dont sell 1gig CF cards anymore as nobody uses them! Minimum 2gigs now :lol:

since u still have a 1gig card, sRAW definitely if u dont plan to print out to very large sizes or just use it for viewing on the comp

Ah awesome thanks for that :)

Yea i think in the next few weeks i will buy a 4gig card.

Plus im going to Europe end of year for 7 weeks :) So i will deff need a lot of space!!

#15 Siddr20

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

I talked with a motorsport photographer a few months ago who has a lot to do with Sony and uses their new cameras. He said they're in the process of developing a DSLR camera with 600*GB* of memory. Must mean video, and good quality.

600gbs????????????????????????? crazy sony people lol

#16 oRiCLe

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

grr, just had some of my pics printed took in the cd and processed them all on the computer in the camera store, looked the goods, get them and they have bled over and on a couple of them they are cars that are cropped down close to the edges (not that close i diddnt think) and its cut the front bumper off or the rear off a little bit...they are just 6x4's at the moment to see how they would come out before i get them done bigger...

anywho...what is the normal amount of bleed i should expect when getting pics printed???

#17 haikii

• Car:180sx

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

My wireless hot shoes arrived today! and my 2 dollar flash off ebay is compatible with them!!!!! ROAR!!!! external slave!!! WOOOO. love it.

#18 bakatono

• Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

View Postdunn, on Sep 18 2008, 11:40 PM, said:

will people really go for it for its movie mode? i mean this isnt really an amatuer camera, its for pros/enthusiasts who's job or passion is to take photos.

the movie mode is interesting - the larger sensor size any DSLR over your HD camcorder means much nicer depth of field. its kinda accurate to say that most SLR lenses would trump your consumer HD camcorders as well, meaning clearer images. if a pro had a high end lens eg 70-200 f2.8 with 720p capability, you are starting to tread in cinematography area of quality. downside is mono recording and a 2GB limit per file as memory cards are FAT32.

as for the consumer buying the camera for its movie capabilities, i personally think it will help push consumers into the D90 arena over the D60 purely due to how many people (who dont know much) have asked me if my DSLR takes videos lol

im also really looking forward to nikon's new lens release, and really hope they are doing more than just a 50mm! many people are screaming for something useful below the 35mm range...

oRiCLe: for cropping it would depend on how their machine is configured for the processing... if you order prints with borders it may rectify this. best to ask them as im sure each shop would have a different answer. i'd go to a different shop if they are cropping your image that much

check this shoot out: Chase Jarvis - HQ version available too ^_^

#19 Siddr20

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Quick question:

In manual mode, my picture format is set to 's'raw.

I took fair few pictures etc, and when i went to go double click the cr2 file to open in photoshop it says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

So i went to canon software (Digital professional photo 3.2), opened the file from there and then we to transfer to photoshop!! It then opened it in photoshop.

Is there something im doing wrong?

Coz normally i would just double click the raw file and it would open in photoshop.

I have photoshop CS3 extended btw.

#20 Basti

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

hmm i dunno. till you said you were using CS3 i woulda said get CS3. cos thats what my problem is. im using CS2 and cant shoot in Raw.

#21 Camel Toe

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

have u downloaded the latest Adobe Camera Raw version for CS3 Sidd? what are u running right now, latest should be ACR 4.6 now just released on website

I am using CS2 with ACR 3.7, so for a 40D i have to convert CR2 files into DNG then able to open it.

I wish all makers would use DNG or give the option to shoot in their proprietary raw or in DNG format, only some offer that atm

#22 Stang

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

If you don't like Pentax, you will after you see this... :lol:

#23 Siddr20

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

View PostCamel Toe, on Sep 20 2008, 02:14 PM, said:

have u downloaded the latest Adobe Camera Raw version for CS3 Sidd? what are u running right now, latest should be ACR 4.6 now just released on website

I am using CS2 with ACR 3.7, so for a 40D i have to convert CR2 files into DNG then able to open it.

I wish all makers would use DNG or give the option to shoot in their proprietary raw or in DNG format, only some offer that atm

Just downloaded 4.5 version (on adobe website)

Everything now works.

Cheers for that :)

Thanks

If you don't like Pentax, you will after you see this... laugh.gif

hahahahah

#24 Basti

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:01 AM

View PostStang, on Sep 20 2008, 02:26 PM, said:

If you don't like Pentax, you will after you see this... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

#25 Siddr20

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

So just about to head down to drift aus.

Any panning shot tips?

Going to be borrowing my friends zoom lens (i think its 55-200 kit lens?)

So any quick pointers? :P

#26 haikii

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

I shot in raw, cause i wasnt planning on taking stacks of pics, more to enjoy the show. Um 1/125 sec f/11 100ISO, left it on continuous focus and just panned with the cars.

But i think basically the idea is to slow down the shutter speed so itd give time for shit to blur as you pan with the object, and yeh adjust the aperture to suit.

How'd you go with it? Shooting at oran south scares me because those pebbles in the last corner. and you just dont know when a guys going to hit the kitty litter and shoot rocks at ya lens. and the last corner is where its all at.. or the first big corner but you cant get in without a media pass.

but yeh post up a few pics of your panning attempts

#27 Siddr20

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

hahahah i sucked :(

I realised that my shutter speed was way to quick, and never actually got any background blur.

I also realised i need a much bigger memory card (only got 1 gig).

Speaking of pebbles i got HIT :(
Lucky it didn't hit the lens, however the body copped a few (no scratches thank god)
Got hit in the head tho lol.. DAmn HOONS :P

Heres all my photos: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=335866

Dont laugh lol

#28 haikii

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

LOl suck!!! :P i learnt from my mistakes last year!!! i copped a few to the back of my head. it was funny cause a little kid next to my didnt react quick enough and copped face full of pebbles from robbie bolger! hahHAHAhah.

haha but i mean if you reallllyy wanted to stay there you could just buy a cheap filter or two to protect the lens.

I loved trav dustans helmet hahaha i totally have to get one now.. LOL.

nah but yeh some good pics there dude. should move around to the top area near the signs there was some good angles there too.

I tried to go to the pits, on top but some bitch wouldn't let me in. those to me wouldve the best shots as they enter turn 1 at full speed.

#29 Siddr20

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

Yup next year i will bring a helmet and face guard lol.

Was my first time shooting with a zoom lens and attempting panning shots. Well i probably did everything wrong!! Ah well..

Either way i had some fun!!

Saw fair few people down there with L glass lens :o

Some serious photographers (not talking about the event photographers, just normal fans)

#30 haikii

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

meh, its okay. its all practice. I used today as practice aswell. God damn its hard. i got alot of blurry pics. some that worked real well. so yeh. you win some , you lose some but hey just keep trying..

yeh amazing walking around no one uses compact cameras anymore. everyone has a SLR.

event photographers are gay. one of them got in my way of capturing bolger crashing last year. I was following him and BOOM i caught him crashing in the wall but the event photographer was jsut standing there like a homo so he took up half my pic.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!