It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

General chit chat thread! 

1001 replies to this topic

#1 namsdrawkcaB

• Car:180sx

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

In light of the "My first road bike thread", and more so how off topic it has ended up ;P, I thought it might be a good idea to have just a general chat thread. This thread can be used for any thing really - tell everyone about a good ride, any new concept bikes, general riding Q's and tips and even recommend (or not recommend) any gear or parts that you have gotten.

My 1st post contribution - A few riding tips

**Lead with your shoulder

Your shoulder is what ultimately steers the bike. Leading with your shoulder helps ensure correct weight balance and shifting. Turning left, lean in with your left shoulder and let it lead the way. It takes your mind off what the handle bars and front wheel are doing, and lets your unconscious mind and the bike work out the lean angle and line for you.

**Eyes up

Keep your head up and look where you are going. Look at the gutter and you'll end up in the gutter, look at the pothole and you'll end up in it.

**Use your knees and back

Hand getting sore, going numb? It's because you're holding your weight on them. Grip the tank with your knees and use your back to hold your weight. I know it hurts, but your body will get used to it.

**Gear

Always remember to Ride with the correct protective clothing. As a minimum wear protective gloves, a decent jacket (leather or textile), protective boots (at least covering your ankles), jeans, and an approved helmet. Its not about looking cool, its about coming out of a crash in the best possible condition. If you cant afford good gear, you cant afford to ride. $100 helmet = $100 brain.

**Traction - or loss of

Losing traction on a bike is not as fun as losing traction in a car. Their are many ways you can lose traction on your bike, but here a couple to be aware of:
Servos....... After filling up, just take it easy for a km or so to make sure any oil you have picked up has been removed.

The road...... Ride in the same position as a cars wheels will follow. Car drip oil mainly from the middle-ish area of the car, so it would be wise not to ride there - this also means that their will be less chance of you picking something up in your tyre too, as the car will have picked it up already for you

White lines are slippery motherfunkers when they get wet, beware.

AND FINALLY LEAVE THE EGO AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!, ride to your skill level, and that of your bike. Faster riders can always wait, you wont be always able to ride away if you push to hardand come off.

#2 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Good idea & nice tips!

Does the lead with your shoulder thing work for naked/moto riders as well? I was thinking about it while riding today but because I sit so upright it felt weird!

I would like to add parking garages with polished concrete to the slippery list, I gave it a bit of juice in my apartments car park yesterday and had the back step out a little. As amusing as it was at the time, in hindsight I could have very easily ended up in someones door :blush:

#3 namsdrawkcaB

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

I would assume it would be the same with Naked riders and even motards to some extent as you are still leaning. Im not sure how much it would be useful for road/trail riders as they seem to steer alot more through the bars than the pegs/shifting weight.
And everything feels weird till your used to it :P

On a completly different note, if any qld riders (that havent lost there licence lol) are looking for somewhere to ride, the road on Mt. Mee has just been redone - and it AWESOME. Tax payer money well spent :D, defiantly hit that road.

#4 -Gaz-

• Car:CBR, S14

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Man hole covers when wet are f**king slippery also. Beware.

Lost count of how many *milkshakes* should of taken the bus to work today instead of trying to kill people. At least 4 people I

reckon....Doesn't happen a lot to me as I keep out of peeps blind spots, but today just as I'm cruising past them....boom.

One f**ker was on his mobile and swerved out of his lane into mine as I was going past at like 90kmh...I guess telling the

missus over the phone how much of a bitch she is was more important than not killing people today lol.

No close calls or anything, it's just Adelaide and it hasn't rained in a while so SA drivers go all weired on the first day of rain hahahaha

Nothing exciting just trying to liven up the Chit chat thread :beer:

#5 namsdrawkcaB

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Haha it's the same in qld, they go nuts when it rains.

My poor r6 hasn't seen the road for weeks now :(
stupid rain. Can't wait to get out again.

#6 -Gaz-

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

Poor poor R6, he/she will be feeling very neglected hahha

The rain I don't mind...it's the strong wind that stands you up when ya cranked over that I don't like....

wont stop me from riding tho...just slow me down a bit :ph34r: .

#7 Bennybear

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Light drizzle is the most concerning for me; not strong enough to wash the oil from the road, just turns the surface into glass.

Last night one of my mates put his VTR250 down, was only going about 10km/h leaving a driveway but hit a little patch of oil and it just slipped like a fat kid on a skateboard.

Tank + muffler slapped the road pretty hard, he is pissed as he just got onto his fulls and was looking to trade up :whack:

Possible broken foot too, x-ray tomorrow.

#8 -Gaz-

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Unlucky. What did he have on his feet? Boots I hope. Broken foot, prob not?

I'm over smaller bikes with there smaller tyres, smaller brakes, and there less weight, hit any spec of dust and the bitches just wanna go down hahaha.

Ah well, live and learn I guess :)

#9 Bennybear

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yeah he had full gear on, just landed awkwardly with the bike, leg caught under.

It's the second time he has put it down, once on gravel and now on oil. Unlucky bastard!

#10 -Gaz-

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Maybe not live and learn then if he has done it twice :lol:

#11 jonny89

• Car:JDS REXXXY

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

sooooooo, i need my first helmet, and jacket and shit, best place, cheapest and best quality in adelaide would be where?

#12 Bennybear

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:25 AM

^Go into any store (pref. a big one) try it all on, get your sizes then go home and buy it online. You will save yourself a smack load of cash.

Don't skimp out on the helmet - try and stick to the better known brands and get something light! you don't want to feel like a bobble head while your riding along!

As a rough guide, and keeping as cheap as possible:

Shark/KBC helmet - $400
Jacket (DryRider, J rocket etc) - $250-$350 (best to go for something with removable liners, makes it more versatile and will let you get away with owning just the one for a while).
Gloves - $40-$300 - purely your call on this one, it's becoming really popular for people to just wear moto-x slip ons for commuting.
Boots - $200 (Oxford/SiDi)
Jeans/kevlar pants - $200

Total = $1000 - $1500.

#13 -Gaz-

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

View Postjonny89, on 06 February 2010 - 11:35 PM, said:

sooooooo, i need my first helmet, and jacket and shit, best place, cheapest and best quality in adelaide would be where?

Only place open in Adelaide today is MaxiMoto.

#14 jonny89

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

cheers benny and gaz for the replies, i heard that peter stevens in adelaide is cheap and has a huge range available, or as benny said buy online? Is there an online store that is appropriate for buying all i need that you know of, otherwise ill just have a search around and what i can find

#15 -Gaz-

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

Yeah come on Benny as if ya tell someone to buy all there shizzle on line and don't supply a link! :P

I googled online motorbike gear in AUS but got nothing that is that much cheaper than in stores...so what ya got? B)

#16 Freddy Kruger

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

x2 on some good online sites to buy stuff from.

i bought myself a helmet and gloves from thehelmetwarehouse.com.au . still waiting for it to arrive, i ordered a helmet , 2 visors and some gloves. no idea on the helmet but the gloves were $15 cheaper than the local place, but i reckon any money i did save went to shipping...

edit: been waiting for about a week with no word so got onto THW... another place that advertises stuff they dont have... have to wait for the helmet to arrive from somewhere else and then theyll send it and my gloves to me... <_<

#17 namsdrawkcaB

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I wish this weather would PISS OFF!

I just want to ride.

#18 Freddy Kruger

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

http://www.morepower...om.au/index.htm seem to have some good reviews for service, but they are an American company and the prices are in US$. i would like to compare prices but my speed is capped so many site just wont load for me. FFFUUUUU

#19 Bennybear

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

http://www.bikegearwarehouse.com.au/

#20 Garpal Gumnut

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm looking at buying dririder pants on ebay (oz) for about $50 cheaper than my bike shop or bikebiz. Anyone got any experience on purchasing bike gear on ebay?

gg

#21 Freddy Kruger

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

i doubt itd be much different from buying anything else on ebay. and with stuff like clothing make sure you ger the right size as chances are they wont do a refund for your mistake...

and just check its not "Dririder style" like they try and do with "Draggin Jeans style" on there...

#22 jonny89

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

i went into peter stevens down at morphettvale, they have 2010 kawa zx250 brand new, on roads, 12 month rego, for %7,500 thoughts?

also i didnt end up buying a jacket or helemt as i thought their range was a little gay. any other big stores here in adel? dont say google it, i have, i just looking for some place that YOU have personally dealt with

#23 -Gaz-

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostBennybear, on 08 February 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

:thumb: Cheers for that.

On another note, the c u n t s have done a whole heap of line marking near my work and near my house (40kms away)

Fresh.....bright.... thick, and sllipppperrrry as a mother f**ka hahaha. Is it just me or are the Turning right arrows getting bigger? seems like

they take up almost the whole lane at the widest point (not quite,but seems like it). . C u n t s :whistle: :whistle:

#24 Bennybear

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:42 AM

Yeah its nasty - I saw a bad smash on my way to work the other day, poor guy on an only Bonneville hit the brakes and touched a line - went straight up the back of a mini-truck.

Messed his leg up, bike was a write off :(

#25 Freddy Kruger

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

are line markings really that bad when riding a motorbike? or is it mainly in the wet when they are a problem?

#26 Speedinc

• Car:R32 Sedan

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

those markings are a pain when your walking!

hit one of those when its wet and your a goner... especially in thongs!

#27 -Gaz-

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

View PostBennybear, on 11 February 2010 - 04:42 AM, said:

Yeah its nasty - I saw a bad smash on my way to work the other day, poor guy on an only Bonneville hit the brakes and touched a line - went straight up the back of a mini-truck.

Messed his leg up, bike was a write off :(

That's rough, poor *milkshake*.

View PostFreddy Kruger, on 11 February 2010 - 08:54 AM, said:

are line markings really that bad when riding a motorbike? or is it mainly in the wet when they are a problem?

Put it this way..when dry they have a little less grip, there for I don't go over them when I'm cranked over, and in the wet if you

make the slightest mistake at the wrong moment (on the lines) = You ditching it hahaha

Man hole covers suck a lot of c0ck also, dry there ok, wet they will also do there best to make you dump it hahaha.

View PostSpeedinc, on 11 February 2010 - 09:12 AM, said:

those markings are a pain when your walking!

hit one of those when its wet and your a goner... especially in thongs!

:lol: :lol: That has to be the best post of the bike forum I reckon :lol:

I laughed when I read that...me likey.

#28 namsdrawkcaB

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostFreddy Kruger, on 11 February 2010 - 08:54 AM, said:

In the dry, they aren't that much of a big deal, although i still try and avoid them. In the wet, they really are super slippery, and should be avoided at (almost) all costs. Same with the slippery steel manhole covers.

I like to practice my counter steering with the manholes. When im following a car, as soon as i see a manhole in my path I countersteer out of the way. In brissie these barstards are everywhere so its good reaction practice I think.

#29 namsdrawkcaB

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Oh, and has anybody else seen we have an updated pic for our section............ Wohoooo

Thanks Loz :thumbsup:

#30 -Gaz-

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

And we got a pretty new green button to click when ya hover over the "Other Tab" Wooooo woooo

Thanks. Go Loz.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!